• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have the packing list but, where to put it all?

Hello all!

I've got my packing list together but havent seen any posts pertaining to the best way to actually pack your bag. Which things should go at the bottom? Which things did you want to keep handy? I have a Gregory pack with top and side loading, loading into the lid as well as two pockets on the front. There are also two small pockets on the hip belt in front that I planned to keep my phone and camera in. I'd love your feedback!

Here's my packing list:
Wearing:
tank w/ built in bra
running capri
hiking socks
sock liners
hat
bandana
sunglasses

Clothing:
stuffsack
2x Tanks w/ built in bra
2x mid weight long sleeve smartwool shirts
1x fleece
1x nano puff (ultra lightweight) vest
1x rain jacket
1x capri running pants
1x adjustable quickdry pants
2x hiking socks
3x coolmax sock liners
1x flip flops
1x sarong
2x underwear

Sleeping bag
Sleeping bag liner
Rain cover

Wash bag: 
Sink
towel
Toothbrush, 
Toothpaste, 
Stick deodorant 
All in one 
Leave In conditioner
Face lotion w/ SPF
TOILET PAPER
Sunscreen
brush
lipbalm

First Aid Kit: 
Diclofenac Gel 
Compeed 
Needle & Thread for blisters
Antiseptic Spray
Crepe bandage 
Micropore or elastic adhesive bandage
plasters
anti-histamines 
rehydration drinks
tweezers and scissors 

Water bottle 
earplugs
safety pins
head light
whistle
dental floss
duct tape wrapped around a pen
baggies
journal
plastic stopper
spork
cup
shopping bag 
Camera
Charger
Cell phone, charger
adapter
Multi tool

passport neck holder:
Passport
Passport card
Tickets
phone numbers and addresses
ATM Card
Credit Card
Cash
copies of all

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks! Only two months until I leave so of course I'm scrutinizing every single item I'm bringing and how best to cope! Any packing words of wisdom, either item wise or what you found you were pulling out and stuffing back in most often? I start walking May 1 so I'm thinking layers will be the most often used for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Let me be the first to suggest you have too much extra "stuff".
What is the total weight of this list including pack?
When are you going?

The fleece and nano puff vest have the same function and you should leave the fleece home.
You should not need 3 tank top shirts (hopefully they are tech quick dry).
Leave the xtra capri pants at home.
Why 2 smartwool shirts?

After a bit of experience of walking the Camino...I am taking (April Le Puy) 2 short sleeve tech T-shirts, 1 long sleeve Tee, nano-puff vest (can be used to sleep in if needed) 1 set of cargo pants (worn). I have a very light pair of workout pants (6 oz) that I wear at night and to walk in if other pants are washed and not dry. I usually only need to zip off and wash the lower legs of the cargo pants.
I would suggest that you have a lot of other stuff there that may seem "nice to have" but will be much regretted from the first day. You can pick up everything on your list along the way if really needed.
Others can speak to the rest of your list.

Thanks for the input on the packing list. I've still got two months to go before leaving and if the only "extras" on my list so far are clothing then I think I'm doing ok! I'll be whittling it all down in the coming months but feel pretty solid in my choices. I may drop one of the smartwool shirts (had two on the list b/c not sure how cold/how often would need them) and one of the tanks (yes everything is quik dry). I'll be leaving the fleece and 2nd pair of capris but would welcome any other suggestions. Thanks again!

Take a sink plug instead. Some find the flat kind preferable to a stopper because it will cover a variety of sink drains. The plugs have disappeared on a majority of the laundry sinks...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The things I try and keep handy are: camera, phone, toilet paper (and rubbish bag!), water and change for bar snacks etc. I try to make sure I can access all these without taking my pack off...obviously if I need to find a bush I do take my pack off :wink: ...but the toilet paper also comes in handy for nose blowing, etc.
Sandra :arrow:

I always have soap and toilet paper in an easy place to get to; you don't want to be rummaging through a rucksack with "soiled" hands. Bars often do not have these in their loos - check before going!

Rucksack weight: the conventional wisdom is 10% of body weight max but no more than 8kg. The less you carry the better.

The heavier stuff at the bottom, but rain gear should always be very easy to reach as showers seem to come on quickly when you are walking.

You do not need a sleeping bag liner as well as a sleeping bag. Once you get to mid May you might get away with just a liner and not take a bag at all; you might have to sleep in your clothes when it is very cold, but it saves weight. I have often gone to bed with the clean clothes that I wear while walking the next day.

Make sure that the batteries in your headlight are new when setting out. You dont want to be carrying spares or have your batteries fail en route.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Rucksack weight: the conventional wisdom is 10% of body weight max but no more than 8kg. The less you carry the better.

I cannot find a current accurate source for this so-called conventional wisdom of 10%, and I worry that in trying to achieve that people increase their risk. The CSJ site currently advises 10-15% of body weight, and 15% of body weight is achievable with a a food bag and 1li of water, a warm middle layer, and a change of clothes.

I have found one packing list that goes close to 10% when I use my gear, and that has no spare clothing, only a change of underwear, no warm gloves or beanie, etc, etc. I would think this is only a safe option around summer. For example, I don't think it has the warm clothing layers needed for early spring, when I walked the Camino Frances in 2010.

The US classic walking guide, The Complete Walker (I have the 4th edition) suggests a target of 20-25% of body weight from the skin out with a maximum of 30%. It acknowledges that the weight of the gear that one wears is as important as what is carried. Depending on which boots I am wearing and when I am carrying trekking poles, that could be close to 3kg.

Having done some modelling of both based on gear that I own and using the CSJ recommended packing list. The CSJ 15% target would allow me to carry about 2kg of food and water and I could still achieve the target. The Complete Walker 20% FSO target would allow me to carry just over 2.5kg of food and water. So the weight targets are very similar, but the Complete Walker allows one to think about other trade-offs like lighter boots or shoes, etc.

Neither would allow me to carry the 2-3 li of water that I normally carry when I am trekking, so I know that I am over the target weight whatever I do.

Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Doug, can you give me the link to the CSJ site? I don't think I've been on it and it seems like a great resource.

I weighed my pack out today and it's right at 10% of my body weight so if I go by the 15% I should be fine with food and water and still be less than 8kg.

To Answer the OP's question, here is where I put things:
Trouser pocket (front right): iphone. (front left) wallet with one-LED flashlight attached
Hipbelt pocket (right): energy bar, lip balm, Altoids tin (left) hand sanitizer
Pack lid: sunglasses, lunch, toilet paper, poncho, gaiters, Kindle, picnic utensils
Pack under-lid: travel papers, credential
Water bladder pocket: bladder, security papers
Pack: (bottom layer) sleeping bag, sleeping sack
(layer #2) clothing bag
(layer #3) first aid kit, foot care kit, laundry kit
(top layer) toilet kit, grocery kit

meisterbalogna said:
Doug, can you give me the link to the CSJ site? I don't think I've been on it and it seems like a great resource.

I weighed my pack out today and it's right at 10% of my body weight so if I go by the 15% I should be fine with food and water and still be less than 8kg.
Try http://www.csj.org.uk/planning.htm#take

I will add that keeping overall weight down is a key objective whatever guide one might use, and to borrow someone else's turn of phrase, to walk far, or fast, walk light. My concern is that needs to be balanced against having the gear one might reasonably expect to need for the climate and terrain to walk in reasonable safety.

Regards,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The heavier stuff at the bottom
No. The heavier stuff should be close to your mid-back or higher, so that it does not get leverage to bend you backward. The bottom of the pack should be something light like your sleeping bag.

Well, I've said all this before, but will go one more time...
For the life of me I cannot see what on earth you guys are carrying that make you fill 40/50/60 litre packs with 8,10 or more kilos weight.
I've just done a full packing -35 litre LoweAlpine Airzone pack, with hooped bivi bag,sleeping bag, inflatable mat,spare clothes plus all the other washing kit, first aid stuff blahblahblah, plus 1 litre water and about 500grms trail snacks, and it comes out at 6.4kgs all up.If I were staying in albergues/hostals, rather than wild camping, total weight would be about half that.
But then, as I've also said, you're carrying it all, not me, thank goodness.... :D

Here in ounces is my 7.6 kg:

nylon sleep sack 5.8
Tyvek sheet 5.85
sit ground cloth 2.1
glasses case 1.8
camera 9.95
camera charger 3.95
extra chip
cell phone & SIM 3.35
cell phone charger 2.45
outlet converter 0.35
WigWam socks 6.5
sock liner 4
underpants 5
T-shirt 12.5
convertible pants 12.3
fleece 9
ls shirt 8
ss shirt - Lowe 6
sleep shorts 2.9
sleep shirt 3.5
silk underwear 4
GoLite wind shirt 3
Brierley book/maps 3.55
bandana 3.6
handkerchief 1
SportSlick 2.5
towel - bath 8
towel - hand 2.3
Crocs 8.9
soap and dish 4.15
toothbrush 0.75
tooth paste 0.75
dental floss
razor 1
ear plugs 1
sunblock 1.45
Altus poncho 16
cup - folding 2.15
K,F,S - titanium 1.1
Swiss Army knife 3
clothes line 1.5
credencial 0.6
passport 0.75
water bottle 3
flashlight 0.7
shower dry bag 2.8
TP 2.3
camp soap 2.05
gloves 3.65
wool hat 2.3
Aarn pack 54
airline cover 2.35

First aid kit
Compeed 1
bandaid
gauze
nail clipper 1
bleach 1.25
alcohol 1.7
ibuprofen 1
whistle 2
nose spray 3

268.3 oz.

No food or water yet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sojourner47 said:
Well, I've said all this before, but will go one more time...
For the life of me I cannot see what on earth you guys are carrying that make you fill 40/50/60 litre packs with 8,10 or more kilos weight.
I've just done a full packing -35 litre LoweAlpine Airzone pack, with hooped bivi bag,sleeping bag, inflatable mat,spare clothes plus all the other washing kit, first aid stuff blahblahblah, plus 1 litre water and about 500grms trail snacks, and it comes out at 6.4kgs all up.If I were staying in albergues/hostals, rather than wild camping, total weight would be about half that.
But then, as I've also said, you're carrying it all, not me, thank goodness.... :D

For what it's worth, here is the full list:
(packed in dry bags of various sizes)

LoweAlpine Airzone 35L pack - 1100grms
Bag 1: Bivi tent,poles,pegs - 620grms
Bag 2: Sleeping bag, inflatable pillow - 680grms
Bag 3: Baselayer top and underpants, Long sleeved T and pants,2 pairs inner socks,1 pair outer
socks,buff, 2 x handkerchiefs - 740grms
Bag 4: Roll TP, wet wipes, antibacterial hand gel, plastic bags, plastic gloves - 310 grms
Bag 5: Elastoplasts, compeed, savlon, antihistamine cream, neurofen, water sterilising tabs,safety pins,needle,dental floss, - all carried in small plastic pot which doubles as drinking cup, with duct tape and elastic bands around outside. Plus scissors, mini torch,prescription sunglasses (also for emergency wear if main specs get damaged),sink disc,earplugs string, scallop shell.-560grms
Bag 6: 2x muslin squares for towels, soap, toothbrush and paste,facecloth- 140grms
Lightweight raingear top, trowel, inflatable mat,hat - 710grms
2 x 500mls water - 1040grms
Trail snacks: 500grms
Plus bum bag (not counted in total weight): camera, ipod shuffle,charger,mobile phone,SA knife,documents,guidebook,notebook, pen,pencil.
Passport,credit cards and bulk of cash in neck pouch under shirt.
Plus pair of super-dooper luxury screw together homemade bamboo trekking poles,with spare camera batteries in hollow top sections :D

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.