• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have the summer crowds started to diminish?

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
Hi all,
I'm due to begin my Camino from SJPP in two weeks. Just wondering if the numbers starting have now reduced and if there is less pressure on finding space in the albergues?
Regards,
Gerard.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year the pilgrim numbers did not taper off at the end of August. August 24 had the most pilgrims of the year. September 1 saw a sudden drop. Weekends had the most arrivals (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), implying a burst leaving Sarria each weekend.

For departures from SJPdP the crowds probably are over by the end of September each year, which is the second busiest departure month for SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only found out at the airport that there is a certificate celebrating the 800 year anniversary for St Francis walking the camino. I walked from stJPDP to santiago finishing in July, is there any way to obtain one from the uk?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think that the Spanish as a whole, not just those walking, head back home in the first week of September. Maybe some of us who live in Spain can confirm this.

Adding the reported daily figures from the Pilgrim Office for the last seven days, 13,329 compostelas have been issued (1,904 per day average). That is about 2 1/2 compostelas per minute.

Reports of difficulty finding a bed are supported by the reported number of pilgrims.;)

The summer crowds are fine, especially in the first half of the Camino Francis. Relax and go with the flow, Buon Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
According to my 'modelled' estimates we're just about to start the second annual peak in pilgrims leaving SJPP (the first peak is in spring before a lull during the heat of summer). The good news is that by the time you get towards the end there won't be so many pilgrims doing short Caminos from places like Sarria.

My modelled figures are available here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...e-the-busy-periods-on-the-camino-frances.114/ They look like daily figures but they're just based on the 2013 monthly published figures with a bit of statistical jiggery-pokery applied, so don't take them too literally on a day-to-day basis.

Buen Camino!

I think that the Spanish as a whole, not just those walking, head back home in the first week of September. Maybe some of us who live in Spain can confirm this.

Start of the school year. Anybody needing to send the kids back has to go back also .

Often you'll see airfare and hotel rates that vary by the school holiday schedule. The discount airlines do this. So it pays to check the holiday schedules.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back