• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you any experience with any of the Camino apps?

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
I'm considering downloading an app rather than taking a guide (to help with weight) on my forthcoming Camino trip (October 2017).

There are numerous ones on the iOS app store and I was just curious to see if any of you have used or recommend one, if so, which one and why?

Thank you.

Beun Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year I downloaded Leslie Gilmours book "Pilgrims guide to the Way of st James" on kindle so it was on my phone and just screened shotted each day it was quite OK. But this year following the sagely wisdom of forum members I'm trying Wise Pilgrim. However I have photograph the Brierley book to remind me where not to stay ie. I will keep away from most of his recommended stops as everyman and their dog follow him. Some people seem not to be able to think outside the Brierley box.

I used both the Wise Pilgrim app and the Brierley guide on a platform app called Trail Smart.
The Wise Pilgrim app was easy to use and did not recommend stages. Their brilliant continuous elevation map displayed on my phone in approximately 20 km grabs which made planning the next day's stage easy as that's my ideal daily walking distance.
I found the Trail Smart Brierley useful when I wanted more detailed information about the path, a location or the availability of services. Trail Smart was also useful when I wanted to avoid staying at Brierley end stages especially during semana santa when there was a bit of a bed race going on.
A couple of hotel booking apps were well worth downloading too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We used Wise Pilgrim. We never could get the map to load, but knew where we were heading each day and just followed the yellow arrows! We used it primarily for contacting albergues. We did not choose to carry a guide book.

I used TrekRight for the Camino Frances in 2016, it is now consolidated into his new platform, TrailSmart which I used for the Portuguese Camino in 2017. You only download and pay for the routes you want (not all Camino routes are available but other great walks in Europe are). LOVED the navigation feature - maps are offline so you don't need wifi and your GPS (blue) dot tells you exactly where you are. Rich with other resources (lists/links to albergues, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I loaded Buen Camino on my phone for this year on the Baztan, but hardly used it.
This wasn't a reflection of the app at all. But I'm just old-fashioned and find technology a pain to use. For me a decent paper map is vastly preferable. No need to turn a device on, no batteries to charge, less weight...and one glance takes in the whole picture without having to navigate any menus (and you can scribble notes in the margin:)).
So for the Frances, I use the Michelin paper map - it's compact, and way more accurate than Brierley's schematic maps, but (unfortunately for you) there is no app version.

All that said, I've heard good things about Gronze and Wise Camino. And the Buen Camino app was actually quite good.

IMHO, Mr. Brierley missed the proverbial boat regarding going to the electronic guide app format some years ago. In this business even one-year can be too late.

I walked my first three Caminos using Brierley. I remain a great fan. Although I always found his material regarding philosophy, meditation and the spiritual to be extraneous to a tactical guide book. It is useful information, but best presented in a physically separate ancillary booklet that can be left at home.

Also, I know that some people, including my fellow veterans here in the Forum, actually tear the Brierley apart to reduce the size and weight as they progress. IMHO, that is NOT the way to reduce your load.

Sorry folks, but destroying any book just riles me. I was raised to revere the printed word...any word. Printed books are literally the foundation, upon which Western Civilization was built after the Dark Ages. It was in part the basis for the Renaissance and directly helped to build our society and culture.

Anyway, in 2016, I switched to the Wise Pilgrim Guides. I presently use the Wise Guides on my iPhone, along with Maps.me (for in between town positional navigation - "how far to the next place...") and then revert to Google Maps when in town.

To be fully truthful, I still buy Brierley guides as needed so I can have a fuller set of research material when planning my Camino each year. And I DO plan, a lot.

In any event, I think you will find the Wise Pilgrim Guide apps to be the best available for iOS. I believe Michael now has them adapted for Android as well.

Michael has also recently published these guides for the Camino Frances (red) and Camino Portuguese (Green). All variants from Porto to Santiago are covered in this green book. He recently informed me that his next printed guides would be for the Camino del Norte, the Primitivo, Salvador, and Invierno. All will have distinct different color covers. Michael also told me he was seriously thinking of bundling related Camino routes together to provide greater value.

These are all printed versions of the identical smart phone apps. So, even though Michael reduced the size of his guide books so they conveniently fit in most cargo pant pockets, it weighs LESS than Brierley but MORE than the smart phone app.

You can pick your format and weight. This is something Mr. Brierley failed to factor. The recent appearance of the Brierley maps books as apps is clearly a step in the right direction. However, unless it changed more recently, he neglected to include the single page or so that accompanied each in-town map that explained the various points of interest and accommodation options at each of his stages.

Also, real benefit of the Wise Pilgrim Guide is that they do not prescribe daily stages. The Wise Pilgrim Guides are formatted so as to allow YOU to decide when and here to stop. Accurate GPS distances are provided from spot to spot. When not at home in Santiago. Michael is usually on his bicycle or walking to confirm his distances. His distances are NOT adjusted for elevation gain or loss, as Brierley does. The Wise Pilgrim Guides contain straight GPS distances, as the crow flies, so to speak.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm considering downloading an app rather than taking a guide (to help with weight) on my forthcoming Camino trip (October 2017).

There are numerous ones on the iOS app store and I was just curious to see if any of you have used or recommend one, if so, which one and why?

Thank you.

Beun Camino!
M

Thank you.

Beun Camino!

Hi, I've just finished walking camino Madrid. The only thing I used was gronze.com. I downloaded each map into iBooks . There is also a website rutasasantiago.com. I had considered the wise pilgrim app.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another vote for TrekRight, which I used in both 2016 and 2017 on the Camino Frances. The GPS feature was useful for the few times that I accidentally veered off the trail. The distance to the next town feature was great for those days where I needed a bit of extra encouragement to push on in the heat. I used Booking.com to make reservations for the next night, as I did not stay in alburgues.

I did carry a paper guide book, but I did not use it nearly as much as TrekRight.

I used app and guide (e-book) from www.caminoguide.net during 2015 CF (both paid ones, so cannot comment on free versions).
As commented above - simple, easy and both very, very useful.

Guide was updated recently and app was also improved since then, so they are my choice for this year's CF.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used these apps: Camino Pilgrim, Camino de Santiago, and Wise Pilgrim. They each offered something different. I didn't use all of them all the time, just when additional information was helpful. Features I particularly liked: 1. the Wise Pilgrim elevation profile with distances. Because it covers the whole route, it was easier to think through my realistic distances each day. But, some of its features require an internet connection. 2. the Camino Pilgrim scheduling feature allowed me to roughly plan stops, and easy to adjust to my actual stops. I needed to be in Santiago by a certain date, and this helped make sure I made it. 3. The Camino de Santiago app is completely offline (the other two have both offline and online only features), and the descriptions of the albergues was helpful.

So don't limit yourself to just one. I also carried a photocopy of the Brierley book.

Thank you.

Beun Camino!
We also used the Wise Pilgrim App. It was not perfect...but helpful. Additionally we had a few sheets of paper with printed info, reservations, etc., that we simply recycled as no longer needed. Much lighter than a whole book. We also found plenty of guide books at Albergues along the way if we needed a quick lok through for the next day or so too. Buen Camino.
-Diane

Wise Pilgrim -- I have three guides at hand [all hard copies], my vote is for Wise Pilgrim, hands down [let me copy SY], sorry, Saint Brierley. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

What makes the Wise Pilgrim books your preference over Brierley? My Brierley got wet on my first camino and was able to salvage the maps, and that alone was plenty. However, I am looking at getting the Wise pilgrim guide.

Thanks Mister Paul for asking. I have the Wise Pilgrim CF book and the CF app [for the camino I used the app]. Wise Pilgrim's book is better qualitiy, with no mystical path, no practical path, no whatever path, down to the camino walking business, with great maps, and you will not be locked to any daily stages because there are none so you make your own stages. Brierley, Wise Pilgrim, Village to Village Guide, all will do the job for you, I just like the Wise Pilgrim. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I used the e-version (on the Kindle app on my phone) of Gerard Kelly's guide for the Camino Francés and was happy with it. I was attracted by the fact that it doesn't list stages and instead just gives distances from one village to the next with listings in each village, so you can make your own stages (as Sailor mentioned above) which I really enjoyed.

I am considering purchasing the Wise Pilgrim App or the Kindle version of the A Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino de Santiago. Is there different content between them and which one has more detailed content?
The Kindle version uses less battery, doesn't need wifi and can also be loaded on my phone
The App version may be updated and more interactive with my location.
Has anyone compared them?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow! What a thread to wake up to.
I wanted to jump in and say (though with little details) that I am currently in the middle of a massive rewrite of the apps. The technology originally used to create them has run its course.

On top of a new design and more stability (looking at you Android maps) there will be a few new much-wanted features rolled into them as well to make booking and navigating a bit easier.

Thanks everyone for the support, the apps are in year 7 now and I continue to be amazed by the pilgrim community.

Michael

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow! What a thread to wake up to.
I wanted to jump in and say (though with little details) that I am currently in the middle of a massive rewrite of the apps. The technology originally used to create them has run its course.

On top of a new design and more stability (looking at you Android maps) there will be a few new much-wanted features rolled into them as well to make booking and navigating a bit easier.

Thanks everyone for the support, the apps are in year 7 now and I continue to be amazed by the pilgrim community.

Michael
Hi Michael,
Do you have a target completion date. I am hoping to start my Camino Frances in Sept 2019.
Thank you for your excellence!

@wisepilgrim Michael - any chance of off-line maps being included?
Absolutely! In fact I started with that part first and it works like a dream (in the currently available 'Wisely' apps). It will become part of the regular app... finally.

The redesign of the apps are meant to address three things:
1. No more bugs. The old code could not keep up with so many new devices.
2. Offline maps. A long requested feature and now a reality.
3. A template for the secondary routes. Following my personal mission to document as many of the routes as possible, the new app will allow future daring pilgrims to set off on the seldom traveled routes with a bit more confidence knowing that a map is at hand. More on this to come, but if anybody wants to suggest a route to start with please let me know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back