• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you become a Umulator?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - I do not fill my world with possessions, never have; I see possessions as possessing me, not the other way round (though I do have a small suitcase filled with memorabilia, lots of drawings from when the children were small and so on), and I do a monthly clear-out of read books and anything else that has 'crept in', taking them all to the charity shop for someone else to own.

Now, here's the point of my post - decades ago I took my step-daughter on a hike along the coastal path round St David's Head in Wales (bit of a bonding exercise). She was ten and I explained that we would have to carry our own things and share the tent and camping equipment load.

She packed VAST amounts of stuff and my wife argued that I should carry all the camping things and a lot of her things. I resisted and insisted that she only take what she needed and that she would carry her share of the camping (not quite true, I knew I would quietly carry all the heavy stuff). After some interesting and loud histrionics mother and child finally gave in and set about reducing her needs to what was only needed.
Well, we had a marvellous time, absolutely marvellous. But here is the thing. With no mention whatsoever about it, about a week or so later she went into her bedroom and completely cleared it of all the things she no longer needed. Now, she had clothes she had kept from five years old that she could never wear again, shelves filled with trinkets, who knows what stuffed under the bed, piles of old toys, and so on - she was a keeper.
But that ten days away, carrying only what she needed altered her inside - her world-view had changed - and with no external input she just went ahead and cleared it all (filling a small suitcase with favourite memorabilia which she kept and which she still has)

that day I invented a new word "umulate" - the opposite of "accumulate" ..... and my question to you is ..

"has this happened to you since your Camino?" Did you umulate? Do you still umulate? Or did you fall back into your accumulation possessions filled home with delight and relief?????

Tell all ;););)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nice story.
I'm a hoarder, or from my perspective, I don't like waste and keep what might one day be useful (ha ha ha).
I haven't completely changed since my Camino
But I have miraculously started clearing a few things up.
My office follows the avalanche principle.
Let it all pile up on the desk.
If it falls on the floor, it probably gets thrown away.
The to-do pile usually gets ignored for other urgencies - by the time I do look at it, most of the items have expired or been super-ceded. Quite efficient really ;-)

But ... back to your message ... I started doing a bit of clearing up last week !
Just a bit, you understand.
Don't want to go too obsessed with tidiness :D

David -

"Umulator" - I love it!

And, yes, post-Camino I have become one.

The new rule around the house is that anything brought into the house must be smaller and fewer in number than what we have just recently re-cycled or thrown away. (Mostly disposed of via the former.)

There are pockets of resistance, of course. I dare not suggest my wife reduce her fabric inventory closet as she is an accomplished quilter. And I loathe the idea of sorting my home office but that operation shall commence after this Spring's Camino. (I need to get my "Camino strength" back first.)

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
David, I am now set on the process of 'umulating'!

- Just need a bit more of stamina to set out. But getting a bit on in age, I wouldn't wish to have my children 'umulating' after me. (And also, I have a few secrets and letters from my previous life I wouldn't wish them to get into). - Thanks for prompting me.

annelise

Yes, apparently another current word is 'stuffocation' for those people whose goods are getting too much to cope with.

I certainly got rid of old clothes and general accumulated rubbish after my first Camino a couple of years ago. My problem at the moment is that after 8 years living in a house with just a bed, sofa and kitchen table, I feel that the time has come to furnish it. So I am currently accumulating but in a measured way that is very much Camino inspired. Nothing over the top, but a 'bookcase rather than a box' kind of chic.

I think overall it's just inspired a different relationship with 'things'. If I agree with myself that I need something I'll get something that does the job. It may be cheaper than what I would have bought before or more expensive. (Just like my Camino boots were more expensive than I would buy for pottering about the town because they had to be good for the job.) I'm trying to see things for what they are, and that the best stuff is the kind of stuff that you don't have to worry about because it's too cheap or too expensive or there's too much or too little of it. In other words it's what you need.

Nice one! I find that now I think twice about buying anything - do I really need it, can it be multi-purpose?
And as for clothes, I now only buy stuff suitable for a Camino ... Since I am still working and having to look somehow
'presentable' , I now make all my 'civil' clothes, leaving me more cash to buy 'technical' clothing for pilgriming :)
It makes my kids laugh but it's definitively changed me....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
David:

I am not sure any of my Camino's have taught me to umulate. I have actually collected things that are reminders of my Camino's. I have my shoes, Compostela (sp.) and passport from my first Camino. I have only kept the passports from the others. I have also had one picture from each Camino turned into a water color painting and framed as memorabilia. So I guess my Camino's have lead to accumulation vs. umulation.

Ultreya,
Joe

Great responses! "a 'bookcase rather than a box' kind of chic" - Classic!!

I suppose one knows when the umulation has reached the end when one thinks about moving. If everything you have goes into the removals van then you know you only own what you want and need - but if you have to sort and sort and throw heaps of things away then you haven't!
Hang on - maybe it is the other way round - when you move into your new place and three weeks later you still have unpacked boxes then the things in those boxes are not needed?

I have always found, when visiting people, that the three dimensional living space that they create is an almost exact representation of their mind (goes for the inside of their car too) - cluttered mind, cluttered house and so on ....

I am def an umulator, and have organized my "camino memories" into framed memories on walls. My surroundings are spare and I don't like clutter. It's always been like this, but the camino heightened my desire for less stuff, clear surfaces and more space. Makes things calm.
I organize everything into containers, and am pretty ruthless when regularly "purging" stuff.
However. . . In my zeal, I have inadvertently thrown out passports, money, cheques ..... but I have never thrown out any camino-related stuff.... that would just be wrong.;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a work in progress. It took me more than 59 years on the accumulation side of life. Since my first Camino last year a few subtle changes have occurred. Now, whenever I buy an item I always ask myself if it might not have any utility for a future Camino. Needless to say, I am buying less. And, what I do buy is noticeably more utilitarian. :)

I still have all the professional attire and varied accoutrements gathered over a 30-year career. The process of shedding all that baggage is gradual. But I will get there. It always amazes me how much "stuff" one can cram into 140 sq meters (1,400 sq feet).:eek:

In my bedroom on the wall, I have a framed print of Vincent Van Gogh's painting of his room in Arles - during his Aix-en-Provence years. It shows his bed, clothes pegs, a simple table with a ceramic washing set on top, one drawer, and a mirror. There are two single chairs in the room. There is not much else. THAT is my focus. In the end, we all end up in a simple room looking at four walls and a ceiling anyway...:(

But, as with most things in life, the journey is a process. I will get there. There is no rush. Simply pitching items, without considering the "downstream" implications seems short-sighted and perhaps foolhardy to me. But, I will certainly get rid of anything that is not likely to be used in future, albeit on a gradual basis. Some items I prefer to sell to raise money for future Caminos. However, the current economy has brought out all the bargain seekers, the "bottom feeders" who seek to take advantage of the down-ish economic times. It do not condemn them, but I will hold on to my valuables a tad longer, until the prices rebound a bit.

The Camino does teach us valuable lessons. It is surprising how little one really does need on a day-to-day basis. On the other hand, I do live with my wife. She does not share the same perspective on these matters. So, compromise is the order of the day...;)

Oh yes, indeed - umulating, down-sizing, purging ...
When I was planning my Camino, I decided to move into a smaller apartment - preferably just a few days before departure so as to return with purging in mind - and a smaller space to help the process (364 sq ft). The Camino provided, even at that stage. Got the apartment and moved three days before leaving - and left everything in boxes to be sorted upon return.
BUT - when I got home, I was so discombobulated from being away for two months, and living so simplistically on the Camino, I couldn't find anything! Nothing was where my mind remembered it - sometimes I didn't even remember what I had -- it all helped to purge - big time!
Still working on it three months later - but what a freeing experience!! Thanks, David, et al for this post and comments!!
Terry

I became an umulator years ago when I packed up to move overseas for a few years. Of course one lapses and starts to accumulate again, but several Caminos have re-umulated me every time, especially last year's extra-long jaunt ending in July. Every month I fill several bags for Oxfam with clothes I never wear, books I'll never re-read and even kitchen utensils I rarely use. I've umulated my cosmetics and toiletries, and have even started umulating my groceries - it's amazing how little you actually need to scrape together a meal, though admittedly those meals are less joyous than the extravagent feasts I would tend towards otherwise

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have always maintained a box that I put things in to give to charity. Usually amounted to 10 or 12 trips a year. But, upon returning from the Camino I systematically went through every drawer and closet. I made over five trips to the Goodwill with the backseat and trunk jam packed with things. Never felt better.

Yes, I like the idea of "umulation". I have been saving a lot of things including cothing, old electronics, left over materials of home or car repair projects because I hate the idea of throwing something away only to buy the same thing again in a few months. But this practice filled the garage and basement space over the years, and now I got to the point what I do not know exactly what I have. So if I need something, it might be easier to buy a new one instead of locating them in the house somewhere. So, yes, it is a good idea to clean out the basement, garage, and closets. Give whatever I have the second chance to be used by others, now.

I like giving stuff to charity but a lot have become very picky and only want really good stuff. When I moved house they refused so much stuff.

I moved again last November. I was pretty ruthless. My partner was a total hoarder, rooms full of junk. Living on my own is refreshing, house is simple and clutter free. I feel relaxed here. I have breathing space. I've got stuff but it's either useful, meaningful or good quality. Latter sounds materialistic but having spent 6 years in a house packed full of junk it's nice to have just a few bits of furniture but really well made. Surprisingly it actually saves money.

My life is incredibly simple now. I stopped drinking, become fitter than I've ever been, I've become very creative & productive, tv is rarely on, house is full of music. The camino wasnt the cause but it was a contributor. I'm happier now than I have been in at least five years as I haven't just cut free of the material things but also the people (or rather, person) that had made me unhappy.

In the movie, Heat, Robert de Niro gives his younger accomplice some advice. Never have anything in your life you cant walk out on in thirty seconds flat. I'm not quite at that stage but having a pared down life is lovely.

I recommend umulation highly!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all - I do not fill my world with possessions, never have; I see possessions as possessing me, not the other way round (though I do have a small suitcase filled with memorabilia, lots of drawings from when the children were small and so on), and I do a monthly clear-out of read books and anything else that has 'crept in', taking them all to the charity shop for someone else to own.

Now, here's the point of my post - decades ago I took my step-daughter on a hike along the coastal path round St David's Head in Wales (bit of a bonding exercise). She was ten and I explained that we would have to carry our own things and share the tent and camping equipment load.

She packed VAST amounts of stuff and my wife argued that I should carry all the camping things and a lot of her things. I resisted and insisted that she only take what she needed and that she would carry her share of the camping (not quite true, I knew I would quietly carry all the heavy stuff). After some interesting and loud histrionics mother and child finally gave in and set about reducing her needs to what was only needed.
Well, we had a marvellous time, absolutely marvellous. But here is the thing. With no mention whatsoever about it, about a week or so later she went into her bedroom and completely cleared it of all the things she no longer needed. Now, she had clothes she had kept from five years old that she could never wear again, shelves filled with trinkets, who knows what stuffed under the bed, piles of old toys, and so on - she was a keeper.
But that ten days away, carrying only what she needed altered her inside - her world-view had changed - and with no external input she just went ahead and cleared it all (filling a small suitcase with favourite memorabilia which she kept and which she still has)

that day I invented a new word "umulate" - the opposite of "accumulate" ..... and my question to you is ..

"has this happened to you since your Camino?" Did you umulate? Do you still umulate? Or did you fall back into your accumulation possessions filled home with delight and relief?????

Tell all ;););)

I'm the opposite to you! The camino sort of traumatized me when it came to packing. I could only carry the barest minimum and was forever trying to get rid of even the teeniest things to lighten the small load that I had. As a result, I would stare into shop windows in the big towns and fantasize about wearing glamorous things, and when the camino ended, I almost cried with joy when my hubby met me in Santiago with a big suitcase full of totally unnecessary stuff! Now, I have a much greater appreciation for the good things in life, after doing without anything for 7 weeks. I love buying pretty clothes and remembering what it was like to wear the same thing day in and day out!

I'm happier now than I have been in at least five years as I haven't just cut free of the material things but also the people (or rather, person) that had made me unhappy.

In the movie, Heat, Robert de Niro gives his younger accomplice some advice. Never have anything in your life you cant walk out on in thirty seconds flat. I'm not quite at that stage but having a pared down life is lovely.
]
Sometimes we are forced to become an umulator. Divorce, I discovered, has a very prompt way of dealing with 'stuff'. In most cases wives are not the main breadwinner, so you suddenly discover stuff you thought was yours is suddenly not, house, car etc. But at the same time, when the dust settles, what you are left with is often better. Simple things with true meaning. And you have a clearer view of what truly matters and that is people, children, family, true friends. So letting some things go can be very painful, but (eventually) it also weeds out who or what you can really live without.
The camino is also helping me look at what I think I 'need' in a different way (although I haven't walked yet!). I keep going through my bag and 'weeding out' stuff that will simply weigh me down and I can live without. I'm hoping when I get back that i will be able to keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tell all ;););)
Until 6 years ago, I had been an accumulator for most of my life, but, two road trips to the US plus a fair bit of backpacking, very soon cured me of any desire whatever to remain an accumulator forever, and, after walking the Camino Frances last year, I have become even more of an umulator than before......I do have to admit though, that there are are couple of areas in my life where accumulation IS allowed, and that is in my studio - I collect glass, old tiles and china etc to feed my Mosaic Art work......I also collect old bottles.....but in all other areas, life is much simpler and easier....

I became an umulator the easy way - divorce is a great umulation exercise! I have not accumulated since (other than money, which seems to stretch much further for some reason). The only real problem that all we pilgrims suffer from though is boots! How can you bear to umulate those faithful friends? I could not bear to burn mine at Finisterra. After my training and caminos they would not survive another Frances this year, being already worn down at heel. Though in the spirit of umulation I have found the answer. When I visit my girlfriend in Navacerrada (on the Camino Madrid heading for Segovia) we go walking every day. So last week I left my old babies there, thus umulating my house and accumulating in hers. :)

I became an umulator the easy way - divorce is a great umulation exercise! I have not accumulated since (other than money, which seems to stretch much further for some reason). The only real problem that all we pilgrims suffer from though is boots! How can you bear to umulate those faithful friends? I could not bear to burn mine at Finisterra. After my training and caminos they would not survive another Frances this year, being already worn down at heel. Though in the spirit of umulation I have found the answer. When I visit my girlfriend in Navacerrada (on the Camino Madrid heading for Segovia) we go walking every day. So last week I left my old babies there, thus umulating my house and accumulating in hers. :)
I love what you have written about your boots Al ......good move indeed.:):p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down-sizing from tied housing (work related) to a small house sent much to the local charity shops. Recycling furniture was harder as it didn't have the latest 'right' labels. A real waste as some went to the tip as no-one was allowed to take it. We have always tried to live light, everything we owned at one time (as a family of 4) went into 9 trunks. We tend to accumulate books, but e-readers help. If we do accumulate now it is Camino gear when there are sales. Otherwise we pass stuff on.........The Camino is a great reminder of how little we do need and how much is 'nice to have'.

Umulating is very hard when you have lived in the same house for thirty one years with your wife David. We have started and made several visits to the Heart foundation shop, furniture has gone, books have gone, halved my professional material passing it on. Started on the kitchen stuff, had several coats nicked from the drying room (thankfully not walking gear). But David we still have more than we really need this could become our Umulating year. After our Camino we have both decided we should not do any more accumulating, and remember to buy only the things we need.
Now I have only to think about what's lurking in that workshop!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Birthdays and Christmas are good opportunities to let others know you're a Umulator rather than an Accumulator. For many years now I've very nicely (yes - nicely!) requested family and friends that I'd love to receive a consumable, eg chocolates, wine etc - most have the message now and I rarely receive anything that I can't eat or drink!!! My precious Camino objects are an exception though - if there's anything with a scallop shell on it I just have to have it!

Birthdays and Christmas are good opportunities to let others know you're a Umulator rather than an Accumulator. For many years now I've very nicely (yes - nicely!) requested family and friends that I'd love to receive a consumable, eg chocolates, wine etc - most have the message now and I rarely receive anything that I can't eat or drink!!! My precious Camino objects are an exception though - if there's anything with a scallop shell on it I just have to have it!

HUM so you eat lots of scallops as well JennyH94 and chocs and wine,watch your accumulation doesn't increase very nicely too :) ;) :)

Occasionally I work with hoarders (the kind that make the news stories) and they actually "own" very little because they can never find anything. It is very sad.

HUM so you eat lots of scallops as well JennyH94 and chocs and wine,watch your accumulation doesn't increase very nicely too :) ;) :)
Scallops, chocs and wine - a few of the best food groups represented here pilgrim b! However, like any sensible pilgrim, accumulation is not an issue due to the fact that I 'pace' myself!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Scallops, chocs and wine - a few of the best food groups represented here pilgrim b! However, like any sensible pilgrim, accumulation is not an issue due to the fact that I 'pace' myself!
Aha pilgrim pace I suspect ;) Just remember heavy camino angels may find it harder to fly :)

About the time I began walking the Camino I read Christopher Jamieson's book "Finding Sanctury" about Benedictine Life. The simplicity of the Camino seduced me and in the book Chris Jamieson suggests that we should get rid of anything we have not used in the past year. I told some friends that this was my plan and soon had many visits as people locally -in rural Spain - came to see what they could take. This divested me of much clutter. I have become an "umulator" for certain and it fits in perfectly, even essentially, with the profound personal benefits which the Camino has given to me.
I had no idea how to pronunce "umulator" when I first saw the thread but now understand that it is a Yorkshire term - with "um" as in "By Gum!".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola David (and others). Well back in 2011, after nearly 15 years residing, I sold large 3 bedroom house and downsized to current villa (2 beds & study) and only a single garage (as opposed to the large double). So it was a major clean out - lost count of number of boxes of books that went to new home; numerous trips to rubbish/recycle centre and finally a 2 cubic metre rubbish skip - which was totally filled. I am now on a neutral threshold - if something comes in, something else has to go out. Am now of the opinion that we should move every 5 years - then you have to have the clean out!!.
Thanks David for a large number of laughs.
PS the T-shirt is still attracting attention!!;););)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back