• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you seen the tomb of Galicia?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
It was posted on July 18, in Spanish. It is hideous (imo). But not quite as bad as the graffiti it has been subjected to over the years. It must be cleaned periodically, otherwise it would be worse. What's wrong with people? Can't they leave things alone? You know the old saying, "Take only photos, leave only footprints." I hope to attach my first photo of the boundary stone, taken in 2003,1-A_21.jpg

and one taken in 2014:
2-Camino 2014 1295.jpg

and one taken in 2016:

3-2 nd sd card 983.jpg

I like the 2003 version best.

1-A_21.jpg.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read the article through machine translation so I may have missed some nuances. It seems to me that Anton is more annoyed by the new concrete bases than the monument itself (which personally I find more than ugly enough in any case).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read the article through machine translation so I may have missed some nuances. It seems to me that Anton is more annoyed by the new concrete bases than the monument itself (which personally I find more than ugly enough in any case).
Yes, it's the base that he objects to. I would say that the stone is a boundary stone rather than a monument. It wasn't ugly in 2003. And, yes to C Clearly, it's not an actual tomb, but that's what Anton has called it.

It wasn't exactly a beauty spot in 2012. It was a pretty ugly monument to begin with. I don't think putting a more robust base on it has made it any worse and I imagine in a year or two it will either have weathered a bit or be covered in as much grafitti as the marker stone so won't look as out of place. Better than it lying on its back once the soil has eroded.

2012-10-21 15.37.32.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back