A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Have you seen this "Hoverglide" backpack?

2020 Camino Guides

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
I checked my calendar to see if it was April Fools' Day but no, it's a real thing!

Just watching the video of the thing bouncing up and down made me feel queasy and, seriously, who runs like that with a full pack (apart from US Rangers and British Commandos)?

Now if it was a Hover Board, well then you're talking! ;)

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
"A field radio operator with the 1st Marine Regiment noted that the pack was a bit noisier then he would like..."
Imagine. On top of poles going tic-tack-tic-tack there will be this other noise, whatever it is.
It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, driving local residents along the Camino Frances over the edge. o_O:p

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature
Imagine. On top of poles going tic-tack-tic-tack there will be this other noise, whatever it is.
It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, driving local residents along the Camino Frances over the edge. o_O:p
Ooooh, the sound of those clicky poles, from Sarria o_Oo_Oo_O
Watching this video just gave me a headache... I need another Camino to chill out :D;)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
When you walk you bounce up and down. If you are wearing a backpack it bounces with you. When you bounce up you are lifting the weight of the pack and its contents. In the video sometimes it appears that the pack is bouncing but other times it looks unnaturally still. The pack was designed though to minimize your lifting it with every step. This webpage may interest you:
https://newatlas.com/hoverglide-bouncing-floating-backpack/55959/

Stefystar

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi trecile,
Thank you for you post!! It brought a real smile to my face, as I look quite unusual and I am not sure how it would relief from the weight..did it have an anti-gravity system?
And true enough not many run with a backpack...
I could not for sure..

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Hi trecile,
Thank you for you post!! It brought a real smile to my face, as I look quite unusual and I am not sure how it would relief from the weight..did it have an anti-gravity system?
And true enough not many run with a backpack...
I could not for sure..
I think that they show someone running with the backpack to emphasize how it works.

Lurch

Camino(s) past & future
looking at 2018-2019
The US military is testing it as a replacement for the current packs. Supposedly it will allow 12-15 additional pounds to be carried, for the same expenditure of effort. Sounds like a good idea if it works, although there is a tendency to just put more on the poor grunt’s back...from experience.

arch

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte from Irun to Santander, Primitivo from Oviedo to Frances to Santiago September 2016
This popped up on my Facebook feed the other day. Looks interesting. https://www.hot-newtech.com/hoverglide

F=ma
Force = mass x acceleration.
Unless someone can explain how that extra force due to movement is absorbed I can't see it as more than the proverbial better mouse trap. From my years of experience keeping the load stable and close to your body is a must.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I think that they show someone running with the backpack to emphasize how it works.
I came upon this paragraph in a page about the pack:

The design also makes it easier to run with a backpack, which, with a fixed pack, is usually uncomfortable and can increase the vertical forces on the back by up to a factor of three. This could help emergency personnel to carry equipment quickly at sites of accidents or disasters.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
"A field radio operator with the 1st Marine Regiment noted that the pack was a bit noisier then he would like..."
Did I hear you say camel? Such as one wearing red socks? :D ;)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
The US military is testing it as a replacement for the current packs. Supposedly it will allow 12-15 additional pounds to be carried, for the same expenditure of effort. Sounds like a good idea if it works, although there is a tendency to just put more on the poor grunt’s back...from experience.
Yes, and hoisting those extra pounds into position on your back would be a negative for sure.

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
camino de portuguese (2018)
camino Frances (portion) (2019)
camino primitivo/Frances (2019)
It puts me in mind of the REI Zipall:

wow whatever next? they have too much time on their hands, the green one you would look like an oversized frog

sunshines

Camino(s) past & future
camino de portuguese (2018)
camino Frances (portion) (2019)
camino primitivo/Frances (2019)
Saw this and sounds like a gimmick. Whatever it does you still have to carry it!!!
I think when it bounced I would topple over from the weight of it :eek:

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.1%