• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you used a Front Pack?

Coleen Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked August 2015, planning on walking August 2017
I'm looking for recommendations for a front pack, something to carry a water bottle and lunch and small camera. I've seen them on other pilgrims when I walked in 2015, and they seem to even out the weight a little and make reaching for a drink so much easier.
Who's using one? Does it attach directly to the pack straps in front or have its own straps? Would you use it again or do without? Do they interfere with walking sticks?
Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Coleen, I have a wonderful Salomon front pack that I got on a whim in St Jean two years ago and I'm so glad I did. It clips onto the pack's shoulder straps, and there are loops in the back that the main pack's hipbelt goes through for stability.
Supposedly it holds 5 liters, but that seems a bit generous. Still, there's plenty of space: That's where I put my credencial, my maps, snacks, camera/phone--and there are pockets for water bottles too, though I don't use them for that. Everything is right there!
The only downside is that it took a wee bit of time to figure out how to get in harness. But now it's easy. Not graceful but easy.
I got it mostly for convenience but find that it balances the weight a bit, too, front to back--I notice the difference without it, even thought what goes in there doesn't seem like it weighs all that much.
And no, it doesn't get in the way at all.
And it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Attachments

• IMG_7804.JPG
    IMG_7804.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8497.JPG
    IMG_8497.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 134
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Coleen, I have used the Ribbz front pack on two Caminos and just love it . The pack can be worn by itself or under a regular pack . It has an amazing amount of room , so I carried one of my two water bottles, guide book, camera, headlamp, extra food, tablet, money any many other things. I had no trouble with my walking sticks, as the pack doesn't stick out to the side very much. I wouldn't want to do another Camino with out it .

OK thanks guys! Two good options! I think I am convinced, now I will go shop.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know you are asking about a front pack, but I used an inexpensive waist pack. I like the simplicity, and I don't find I need the extra straps to attach to a backpack. I also use it on my local hikes. After examining several, experimenting with what would fit where, I chose this Waterfly . It fit my small tablet, small camera, and miscellaneous stuff nicely. Buen Camino.

From Viranani:

https://www.runnerinn.com/running/salomon-custom-front-pocket/72961/p

I know you are asking about a front pack, but I used an inexpensive waist pack. I like the simplicity, and I don't find I need the extra straps to attach to a backpack. I also use it on my local hikes. After examining several, experimenting with what would fit where, I chose this Waterfly . It fit my small tablet, small camera, and miscellaneous stuff nicely. Buen Camino.

I'm noticing how similar the two packs appear to be...

Back in the day, I bought a Camp Trails "Pathfinder" rig -- something like a front-pack. It attached to the shoulder straps at the top and was sorta "free-swinging" at the bottom. It had a front and a back pocket. The zipper on the front pocket went up one side, across the top, and down the other side so that the front would drop down. There was a surprisingly large, clear "map pocket" attached inside said front pocket, along with several smaller pockets.

I never could get it to work comfortably. Perhaps now would be a good time to haul it out and re-try.

Last edited:
I used a fanny pack/handbag that I wore in the front. I wanted something so I could carry my ipad mini and valuables for easy access while walking and use for exploring and going to dinner in the evening without having to re- locate items I wanted kept safe. I might try the suggested Waterfly because it holds water bottles. I had bought a RIBZ front pack based on other forum comments, but found it too big for my small body. The tags are still on it! In fact, if you choose to get a RIBZ, contact me first because I would be willing to sell. It is gray, size small, never used.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Salomon front pack I have is a perfect size, and is very stable (no swinging) without having extra straps going around your back or a lot of bulk. It looks to be hard to get in the states, but if you like it perhaps get in touch with Direction Compostelle/Boutique du Pelerin in St Jean to see if they have one in stock that they can hold for you. That's where I got mine.

I'm looking for recommendations for a front pack, something to carry a water bottle and lunch and small camera. I've seen them on other pilgrims when I walked in 2015, and they seem to even out the weight a little and make reaching for a drink so much easier.
Who's using one? Does it attach directly to the pack straps in front or have its own straps? Would you use it again or do without? Do they interfere with walking sticks?
Thanks!
Coleen, just started training with a front pack from REI and it looks promising -- URL below. Looks a lot like the Waterfly mentioned by Seabird above. I am starting my first reality CF in about 4 weeks and plan to take this one so I can leave behind my 1 liter Nalgene bottle I had considered for one of the external side pouches of my backpack. Lighter overall and I found that I need that external side pouch for other things.

Name is Eagle Creek RFID Tailfeather Waist Pack. It has side pouches for two water bottles, 20 oz size barely fits in each, 16 oz bottles would fit easily. Also, the threads of my Sawyer in-line water filter fit the 16 and 20 oz. bottles, but not the Nalgene even with its adapter. So this front pack is a win-win for me.

It is a totally separate pack from my backpack so when I remove my backpack (Osprey Atmos 50 AG) I am still wearing the front pack with no attachments. Has a sturdy fitting waist band. Holds 4 liters and weighs 7.5 oz. Was a little pricey but did get the REI 20 % members' discount.

URL: https://www.rei.com/product/879707/...entConfirmation_Sterling&RRID=50965824&ev11=1

Buen Camino

I have used a small front pouch from Osprey that attaches directly to the harness, and can be removed and used as a waist bag. It wasn't big enough to carry a water bottle, but was great for a few small snacks - muesli bar, dried fruit, etc, and a convenient place for small change.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Aarn balance packs are integrated into the harness, and designed so the front packs balance the back pack, making the whole thing work beautifully. There are two front packs, so that you can see the ground and your feet between them. No problem using trekking sticks, in fact the front packs even have a little clip to attack the poles when you are going into a shop or not using them, but still want them handy.

Here's the thread that @Dougyharry is talking about, in his video you can see him and partner in action using the Aarn packs - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-the-mozarabe.45087/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Grace - terrific photos.
What Aarn pack do you have? I've recently bought the Liquid Agility - one size - 30L and 1.26kg in weight. I also bought the balance pockets - Compact Regular 6L+1/pr - weight 290 grams for the pair, for my upcoming camino at the end of May.
What items did you keep in your balance pockets? I'd be interested to know what worked best for you.
Also, what is the little fluro jobbie on the side of your pack? I'm intrigued!
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Jenny, I’ll send another post of the model when I get home. I have the large pockets.

I kept all my wet weather gear (poncho and super light jacket) in one side: I like my Altus poncho for downpours to keep my straps dry (and also for warmth). In the other side was my water bottle which has a straw/tube, this worked super well).
As you’ll already know, the Aarn comes with it’s own dry-bags for the pack and the front pockets.

Each front pocket has various zipped sections. I also kept my mobile in a small zip section for easy photo access. A notebook, tissues and glasses also found homes for quick access.

The flouro thingy is just something I found in a stationery shop ‘bargain bin’. It had an LED light inside which never worked but it is super reflective. I attached the thingys (2) to each side of my pack for more visibility during road walking.
I also wear small flashing lights on wristbands (a red and a white one, available from Kathmandu) and stitch reflective tape on all my packs and my poncho.
Unfortunately I see so many pilgrims who do not think about being visible to drivers.
Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Hi Jenny, I’ll send another post of the model when I get home. I have the large pockets.

I kept all my wet weather gear (poncho and super light jacket) in one side: I like my Altus poncho for downpours to keep my straps dry (and also for warmth). In the other side was my water bottle which has a straw/tube, this worked super well).
As you’ll already know, the Aarn comes with it’s own dry-bags for the pack and the front pockets.

Each front pocket has various zipped sections. I also kept my mobile in a small zip section for easy photo access. A notebook, tissues and glasses also found homes for quick access.

The flouro thingy is just something I found in a stationery shop ‘bargain bin’. It had an LED light inside which never worked but it is super reflective. I attached the thingys (2) to each side of my pack for more visibility during road walking.
I also wear small flashing lights on wristbands (a red and a white one, available from Kathmandu) and stitch reflective tape on all my packs and my poncho.
Unfortunately I see so many pilgrims who do not think about being visible to drivers.
Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you need more info.
Thanks Grace for the tips on what you kept inside your front balance pockets, and particularly for the tip about keeping your poncho in one of the pockets ... I had been thinking about keeping my poncho in the pack itself ... 'hoping for fine weather so I wouldn't have to use it but maybe it's better insurance to have it up front in those balance pockets ... Murphy's Law and all that! I have two Platypus collapsible bottles that I'll be putting in the front pockets ... a tip from one of our Pilgrims in Sydney members Carol. She sips from the bottles alternatively so the weight is kept balanced throughout the day. The other items you mention will be in the front pockets too - thanks.
I agree with you about the need to be visible during road walking - so many people take unnecessary risks by not being visible enough by using these small additions that make all the difference. I have reflective tape on my poles and will be applying more of that tape to my pack and poncho.
Cheers, and thanks again for your help - much appreciated.
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jenny - my Aarn is a Peak Aspiration (I think 55l) and the front pockets are the Balance Pockets - Exp - Reg (15l +2 ). I got the big ones as they make an awesome ‘day-pack’ for the plane on the long trip over.

Good on you for applying reflective tape :)

You know, the more often I see those Aarn balance packs, the more I'm reminded of the load-bearing harness rigs (aka LBE's) worn by some British troops in WWII. Guess it goes to show that there is "nothing new under the sun" --- or perhaps that there is "no end to Glenn's store of useless information."

Okay, now y'all have done it!;)

While looking at something else entirely, I stumbled across a pair of balance packs that will work with practically any backpack I wind up using. I really dislike packs that are higher than my jawline. By using the balance packs, I can probably select a smaller backpack that won't....:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have used a small front pouch from Osprey that attaches directly to the harness, and can be removed and used as a waist bag. It wasn't big enough to carry a water bottle, but was great for a few small snacks - muesli bar, dried fruit, etc, and a convenient place for small change.
I've been looking at this one. I'm not wearing a fanny pack or a money belt and I'd like to have better access to my big iPhone. My Osprey hip belt pockets aren't big enough I was looking at it at REI but it doesn't state how water resistant it is. My new iPhone is pretty waterproof so I'm not worried about it. My credencial will be in ziplock bag, etc. But this bag seemed a bit bulky. Did you find that it made you hot sitting upfront, so close to your body? Or was it a pain to take off? I've seen the YouTube videos and they make it look easy. I wouldn't use it as a fanny pack but I'd need to detach one side to take the pack off. Just wondering how effective it really is.

Did you find that it made you hot sitting upfront, so close to your body?
No

Or was it a pain to take off?
It was an additional clip to undo, and then to redo. It didn't take long to learn how to keep it out of the way when getting the pack on and straps adjusted.

Just wondering how effective it really is.
I found it very useful for small things that I might otherwise have kept in the top pocket of my pack, small change that then didn't need to rattle around in my pants pocket, lollies and a snack bar or two, etc.

Last year I wore pants with two very useful cargo pockets placed so they sat at the front of my thighs (rather than on the sides). I put much more in these - small items and my guidebook, and left my credential in my main pack. It was a small weight saving, but a little less convenient than having the pouch.

No

It was an additional clip to undo, and then to redo. It didn't take long to learn how to keep it out of the way when getting the pack on and straps adjusted.

I found it very useful for small things that I might otherwise have kept in the top pocket of my pack, small change that then didn't need to rattle around in my pants pocket, lollies and a snack bar or two, etc.

Last year I wore pants with two very useful cargo pockets placed so they sat at the front of my thighs (rather than on the sides). I put much more in these - small items and my guidebook, and left my credential in my main pack. It was a small weight saving, but a little less convenient than having the pouch.
Thanks. Great details as always. I appreciate the time you take to answer everyone's questions :)
My cargo pocket fits my iPhone 7 Plus but I didn't want to have it knocking around my thigh.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.