• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you walked the Camino during mercury retrograde?

audge

Time of past OR future Camino
june 2013
OK, I know this may be a little out there for some, but I am serious. I am not a person who follows astrology normally, but in the past number of years, I have been aware of and experienced some of the challenges that come with Mercury retrograde. Some people are effected much more than others. This is an astrological pattern that happens three times a year for about 3 weeks. During this time, communication is challenged, technical equipment and computers break down more, travel is especially difficult very difficult and is often delayed,reservations cancelled, buying big purchases often go bad etc. Life is just more challenging. The good thing is that it is a great time for self reflection, re-evaluation, writing....
As the Camino is a combination of travel and self reflection,
I am wondering if anyone has had experiences good or bad with this while walking the Camino during Mercury retrograde?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK, I know this may be a little out there for some, but I am serious. I am not a person who follows astrology normally, but in the past number of years, I have been aware of and experienced some of the challenges that come with Mercury retrograde. Some people are effected much more than others. This is an astrological pattern that happens three times a year for about 3 weeks. During this time, communication is challenged, technical equipment and computers break down more, travel is especially difficult very difficult and is often delayed,reservations cancelled, buying big purchases often go bad etc. Life is just more challenging. The good thing is that it is a great time for self reflection, re-evaluation, writing....
As the Camino is a combination of travel and self reflection,
I am wondering if anyone has had experiences good or bad with this while walking the Camino during Mercury retrograde?
Hi Audge, welcome to my world..... but I'm sure it's like this more than nine weeks a year, do you have the dates for this year and next ?

I am not a person who follows astrology normally, but in the past number of years, I have been aware of and experienced some of the challenges that come with Mercury retrograde. [sic] During this time, communication is challenged, technical equipment and computers break down more, travel is especially difficult very difficult and is often delayed,reservations cancelled, buying big purchases often go bad etc. Life is just more challenging.

• What are the facts? Again and again and again — what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" — what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
Robert Heinlein

Do you have any facts to back your assertions?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
People look at Mercury retrograde as negative, but I look at it as positive.
It's like "Mercury in your face" and communication is VERY clear, my computers run perfectly, travel arrangements are perfectly smooth, etc.
You get what you concentrate on.
If you don't like what you're getting, change your focus.
That's my mantra.
Doesn't mean I always remember it quickly.. but sooner or later … and it's always true.
It's like the 17 second rule.
If you can hold a thought consistently for seventeen seconds, at that seventeen second point, another thought of the same vibrational frequency will join it.
Mercury retrograde?
I love it!
Hold that thought!

I'm sure Shirley MacLaine addresses the topic somewhere. There is probably a way to use crystals or pyramids to counter-act the effect.

I don't know if it's retrograding at the moment, or even quite what that means. But I have very much enjoyed seeing Mercury high in the eastern sky these last few weeks, vanishing into the gathering dawn as my camino progressed - on those days when I wasn't in freezing fog, that is. And Jupiter as well, and Venus in the evening twilight.

I doubt it had much to do with Mercury, but my mobile's gps, which I've never understood or been able to work out how to use, suddenly sprang to life when I was badly lost in fog in the meseta north of Segovia, and guided me to the next albergue just before night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know if it's retrograding at the moment, or even quite what that means. But I have very much enjoyed seeing Mercury high in the eastern sky these last few weeks, vanishing into the gathering dawn as my camino progressed - on those days when I wasn't in freezing fog, that is. And Jupiter as well, and Venus in the evening twilight.

I doubt it had much to do with Mercury, but my mobile's gps, which I've never understood or been able to work out how to use, suddenly sprang to life when I was badly lost in fog in the meseta north of Segovia, and guided me to the next albergue just before night.

A full discussion of 'retrograde' as it pertains to celestial systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrograde_motion

A discussion on apparent retrograde motion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_retrograde_motion

Celestial phenomena of 'Mercury retrograde'.
http://www.mauiastronomyclub.org/blog/34-local-astronomy-news/59-mercury-in-retrograde

I'll leave the astrological interpretations and any proof they might care to provide with it to the astrologists among us.

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 Retrograde Dates
In 2013, Mercury will be retrograde from:
February 23–March 17
June 26–July 20
October 21–November 10
So, who walked during these time periods?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah-ha! Thank you Falcon.

Immediately after reading the question of whether I walked, I had two thoughts, "What is Mercury Retrograde, and how do I know if I walked during it's time?" Now with your dates above, I can say I was on the Lycian Way for a few steps in June. Since I don't even own a cell phone or do anything else in the original post, I don't think my life was disrupted.

Well, there was that ONE time we ran out of wine…that is always a bad experience. ;)

I walked into and during the third retrograde period - couldn't have asked for a better pilgrimage! Everything ran smoothly. Flight, bus and train travel was perfect and the walk was great ... even when it wasn't. Fully planning on returning for another Camino next autumn, retrograde or not. :)

Did not walk during this time, but I do not follow astrology anyway. Came home before the third time period, and I did have this hollow feeling for a long time after we came home? Don't think it had anything to do with the Mercury retrograde though :)
We did walk on a Friday the 13th during our Camino, and didn't have any problems then either :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked into and during the third retrograde period - couldn't have asked for a better pilgrimage! Everything ran smoothly. Flight, bus and train travel was perfect and the walk was great ... even when it wasn't.
Are you trying to stretch my credulity? No effect from a small planet next to the huge sun when the apparent movement (not actual movement) is backward? I certainly would have expected disaster.:cool:

Well, looks like my last Camino was NOT during Mercury Retrograde. Maybe that's why it felt so "off?"
I wore holes in my 17 second rule.
I had to use Compeed on it just to hold it together…

Seriously, I do follow astrology to a point, and sorry for making fun.
I just had a "different" year last year, and I didn't walk during Mercury retrograde.
It was a good question and the answers are enlightening.

(Lock the doors before they let the pagans in... :D)
We're in, We're in!!!
As a taurean I am quite used to taking retrograde steps...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in the so-called retrograde in Apr-May 2010, and didn't observe anything unusual. Most communications difficulties were readily explained by my poor Spanish, and my mobile worked. I will bow to those of you who appear to have identified some causality in what my simple mind has previously considered mere coincidence!

Regards

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From 24 Sept to 5 Nov I walked the CF - during the last Retrograde (Oct 21 - Nov 10) - and had an absolutely wonderful Camino!! So problem-free I feel guilty. BUT on 9 Nov, the evening I returned home, I fell, headfirst, into my closet - fell over my boots. No falls, injuries, blisters, etc on the Camino...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ok, ok, clearly this is an amusing topic for many. Thanks for all the varied responses. I am not at all interested in running my life by astrology, but I do find the Mercury retrograde periods often bring some challenges. If you want a brief description here is a link. From what I am told and personally have experienced, Virgo's and Gemini's are the most effected. I will walk the Camino when it fits in my schedule, and if Mercury is in Retrograde, I will enjoy what ever comes my way.
http://www.almanac.com/content/mercury-retrograde

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I find it more sad than amusing that otherwise apparently intelligent people give astrology any credibility at all.

They used to say that about the earth being round or the sun being the center of our system.

The Three Kings of the Nativity believed the stars and planets had power.
They followed that star right to the Christ Child!

The tides of the sea rise and fall according to the moon.
Ask any scientist.
The word "lunatic" didn't get pulled out of the air.
And seeing how our bodies are 50-70% water… well… I would think any intelligent person could see the possible link?

Proving it, however, is like proving someone has a mind.
You can take their brain out of their head, but it's just a mass of tissue.
It doesn't prove anything.

And although it may be out of the range of our ability at this stage in history, I imagine someday it will be proven. Astrology is, after all, the first science.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They used to say that about the earth being round or the sun being the center of our system.

The Three Kings of the Nativity believed the stars and planets had power.
They followed that star right to the Christ Child!

The tides of the sea rise and fall according to the moon.
Ask any scientist.
The word "lunatic" didn't get pulled out of the air.
And seeing how our bodies are 50-70% water… well… I would think any intelligent person could see the possible link?

Proving it, however, is like proving someone has a mind.
You can take their brain out of their head, but it's just a mass of tissue.
It doesn't prove anything.

And although it may be out of the range of our ability at this stage in history, I imagine someday it will be proven. Astrology is, after all, the first science.

During this time, communication is challenged, technical equipment and computers break down more, travel is especially difficult very difficult and is often delayed,reservations cancelled, buying big purchases often go bad etc. Life is just more challenging. The good thing is that it is a great time for self reflection, re-evaluation, writing....

You might have a valid hypothesis that tides affect the mind. The moon and sun have a significant effect on the earth in its cycles. There is at least some 'proof' that police and hospitals are busier during the full moon ... even if that is often attributed to having moonlight. Its a much larger leap of logic (impossible) that Mercury can effect equipment, travel, big purchases etc, particularly if you want to assert it only has this effect when it appears to be in retrograde.

Astronomy is the 'first' science. Astrology is not now and never was a science.

I'll concede that psychology is a science and astrology definately uses strong elements of the psyche as it pertains to the way we view the world. There are many charlataans that have made a living off the gullible thereby.

I would also note that in my observation of people deeply into astrology they seem to be people who are deeply interested in understanding what makes people tick. In that way astrology is like rubbing a pencil over a paper to uncover the impressions left by writing on a page that lay above it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never heard of the theory before I don't know if we have ever walked in such a period, but wonder about the effects on communications. Our daughter works in the space industry. Concern there is more over the sun flares disrupting communication satellites etc. There has recently been a period of high activity there.
Many years ago we were told, and found it true, that if you stand in a totally remote and silent place you can hear the stars hiss/sing. 'The heavens are telling the glory of God.....' Ps 19.
Who knows what effect the planets do have?

Who knows what effect the planets do have?
That effect could be scientifically studied, I am sure. However, retrograde just means that the planet "apparently" moves backward, not actually moves backward. There is no change in the physical relationship of the planets; just the way our eye perceives it! Therefore, any effect could only be between our ears where that perception lies. I doubt it could be scientifically studied.;)

Aldous Huxley gave it a go. The Doors of Perception attempts to consider and relate the meaning, for our understanding of art and religion, of altered states of consciousness, and perception. Does the apparent movement of a planet have any more or less impact on human consciousness than its actual movement?

If stargazing does not count as science, then in the western world, science may have begun:
From their beginnings in Sumer (now Iraq) around 3500 BC, the Mesopotamian peoples began to attempt to record some observations of the world with numerical data. But their observations and measurements were seemingly taken for purposes other than for scientific laws. A concrete instance of Pythagoras' law was recorded, as early as the 18th century BC: the Mesopotamian cuneiform tablet Plimpton 322 records a number of Pythagorean triplets, dated 1900 BC, possibly millennia before Pythagoras.
Astronomical observations in the New World may predate those in Western civilization by many thousand years, making celestial movement the first science.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back