• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having concerns with the distances to walk each day

This sounds great! But I have limited days! which is pushing me into more mileage per day! I am very anxious about this. I am training and I am fit. But I feel nervous about the pressure of my limited days to walk--and the mileage I "need" to cover each day. Any and all advice is SO welcome! :)))))
The thing to remember is there is no specific place you have to start or length the Camino has to be (except 100 km if you want the Compostela certificate). So, if you have limited days, start closer to Santiago. If you have at least a week you should be able to manage without pushing yourself to walk too far. Many can walk 100 km in five days without too much trouble. If you have more than a week, you can start farther away: O Cebreiro, Ponferrada, Astorga, Leon, Sahagun, Burgos, Logroño, Pamplona, Roncesvalles as some examples.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your time is limited, it is even more important to train at home. This will will allow you to get maximum mileage on the first day.

I suggest starting in St. Jean and walk as far as time permits. Come back to the same spot next year and continue.

-Paul

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The thing to remember is there is no specific place you have to start or length the Camino has to be (except 100 km if you want the Compostela certificate). So, if you have limited days, start closer to Santiago. If you have at least a week you should be able to manage without pushing yourself to walk too far. Many can walk 100 km in five days without too much trouble. If you have more than a week, you can start farther away: O Cebreiro, Ponferrada, Astorga, Leon, Sahagun, Burgos, Logroño, Pamplona, Roncesvalles as some examples.
Thank you! The plan right now is to start in Astorga. It is my understanding that the LAST 100k have to be completed in order to get the Compostela. Meaning one would HAVE to walk from at the minimum, Sarria on--without assistance (ie: a taxi or bus), etc. One could not sort of "piecemeal" the 100k ...is that correct??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One could not sort of "piecemeal" the 100k ...is that correct??

That is correct :) The last 100km have to be done without assistance, and in a sequence of days.
Astorga is a lovely place, sounds like a good choice to start.

You will also need to make sure and obtain two stamps per day over that last 100K.

I support the advice to train a bit, e.g. regular 10mile hikes on the weekends. It's not only about getting physical strenght, you also learn about your body, clothes and equipment. The latter you can easily exchange while home but not so easy on the camino.
The last 100km have to be done without assistance, and in a sequence of days.
Nope, you can have as much assistance as you need! It says the pilgrim needs to walk the last 100km, so only short thinking translates that to no bus or taxi for the last 100km. You still can walk 10km, take the taxi to a hotel and get back the next day by a hotel shuttle/bus/taxi/... . You are allowed to have your backpack transported, you can go to the hospital or a massage meanwhile. There's also no rule about eating, drinking, sleeping and company during these days. You could have a refreshment service on the trail or even a (friends) car could accompany you all the way.
None of that is off-limits, so use what you're allowed to do. It probably feels better to take the least assistance possible, but that's a personal choice. You will know what you need.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! The plan right now is to start in Astorga. It is my understanding that the LAST 100k have to be completed in order to get the Compostela. Meaning one would HAVE to walk from at the minimum, Sarria on--without assistance (ie: a taxi or bus), etc. One could not sort of "piecemeal" the 100k ...is that correct??
You are correct that it is only the final kilometers, consecutive and connected to Santiago de Compostela that count. No taxis or buses to carry you for portions of the last 100 km of the Camino (although you could take them to get to a hotel and then back to where you left off. 100 km if you walk. 200 if you have the assistance of a bicycle or horse to carry you along the Camino. If you are walking the Camino Frances, Sarria is a place many people start to be sure of having the minimum 100. You also cannot combine the walking and bicycling within the last stretch right before Santiago. So while it is okay to walk the whole thing and bicycle the meseta or from O Cebreiro to Triacastela, it isn't okay to bicycle from Pamplona to Portomarin and walk from Portomarin to Santiago. Because then you would have neither walked the last 100 km nor bicycled the last 200 km. Crazy, I know, but I don't make the rules.

You will also need to make sure and obtain two stamps per day over that last 100K.
YES! Really excited about that part! I understand that the albergues and cafés etc. Will give stamps?

Nope, you can have as much assistance as you need! It says the pilgrim needs to walk the last 100km, so only short thinking translates that to no bus or taxi for the last 100km. You still can walk 10km, take the taxi to a hotel and get back the next day by a hotel shuttle/bus/taxi/..

My bad, this is what I meant by 'without assistance' in my post, which clearly was not the best choice of words. Like, the 100km have to be walked, not covered by a ride. Getting to accommodation and back is fine.

And it is easy to get 2 stamps per say, every bar, albergue, hotel and church will have them.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
YES! Really excited about that part! I understand that the albergues and cafés etc. Will give stamps?

Basically you can receive a stamp anywhere you purchase food, drinks, at city halls, alburgues AND other lodgings, lemonade stand, etc. You won't have a problem getting a sello along the way. :)

A lot of folks will get a stamp at their first break of the day in a village or at lunch, and then another at their end of day destination. Of course, if you are wanting to collect sellos along the way you can get as many as you wish :)

Basically you can receive a stamp anywhere you purchase food, drinks, at city halls, alburgues AND other lodgings, lemonade stand, etc. You won't have a problem getting a sello along the way. :)

A lot of folks will get a stamp at their first break of the day in a village or at lunch, and then another at their end of day destination. Of course, if you are wanting to collect sellos along the way you can get as many as you wish :)
Excited!!! Now, just send good vibes that this will be a success! 😁😁😁😊

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back