• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having concerns with the distances to walk each day

Karen C.

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
The 2 books I have that show the stages recommended to walk each day have some distances that I can't imagine I could possibley make. I know that they are just suggestions, but how hard is it to walk up to 18 miles a day? I do 6 effortlessly now, but am tired after that. I am 62 years young and 5'1". In pretty good shape, spending most days at work on my feet. Am training for our May 12th start. What do most seniors average walking per day?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2 books I have that show the stages recommended to walk each day have some distances that I can't imagine I could possibley make. I know that they are just suggestions, but how hard is it to walk up to 18 miles a day? I do 6 effortlessly now, but am tired after that. I am 62 years young and 5'1". In pretty good shape, spending most days at work on my feet. Am training for our May 12th start. What do most seniors average walking per day?

Karen:

Everyone is different. Other than a few days you can walk as little as 10 K (6 miles). That said, you will be surprised how far you can walk after a week on the Camino.

The key, imo, is to ease your body into condition. Listen to your body, take as many breaks as you feel necessary. The Camino is not a race.

I do not know how fast you walk at home or if you rest during your walks. I like to walk for a couple of hours, take a break, walk some more, eat lunch, walk some more and then decide where to stop. Again, everyone is different.

I would think most people walk 20 to 30 kilometers (12 to 18 miles) per day.

All will be well. You will be surprised at what you can do. Just do not force it.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Karen. Don't stress :)

Where are you starting? And how many days have you allowed for your Camino?

Distance per day is a very personal thing.
In 2015 on my first Camino I was the slowest walker I came across. (due to an injury)
I averaged 22 kms per day. I tried some longer days, like 30 kms and my Camino almost ended as a result.
Others I met would happily walk 40 kms. There is no way on Earth I could do that.

Slow and steady was my mantra.

People often get 'hung up' on distances. But really it's the journey that is important, regardless of how far you walk.

If you are walking the Camino Frances, I think the longest distance over the whole journey, between accommodation stops is 17 kms.

What will determine how far you walk each day will include:

1. How far you feel like walking.
  2. How far you feel 'able' to walk.
  3. What the terrain for the day is like. Hills etc
  4. What stops you might like to make along the way (places to visit)
  5. What rest, food, drink stops you would like to make along the way.
  6. How fast or slow you like to walk. (I average 3 kms / hour including breaks)
  7. How long you like to walk each day. Some days I walked for 10 hours..
  8. Your level of fitness and overall health.
Age doesn't have much to do with it ;)

I met up a few times for meals with a guy who was 73. I didn't walk much with him as he was too fast for me! I was 58 and a bit overweight :oops:

Afternote:

The guidebooks are just that. Guidebooks. To make sense they are broken into stages. But you should make up your own stages to suit. Stop wherever you like. The traditional Guidebook stage 'stops' are often very crowded.

My wife joined me last year and didn't do any training due to injury. Plantaar Faciitis. We started out with 7 kms on day one and slowly built up over a week to 20 kms per day. 'Training on the trail'. It worked really well.

I was 67 when I walked the CF last spring. I surprised myself with how readily my body acclimated to walking distances. I do live in mountains, so that might make a difference. But I walked for 3 weeks with a flatlander who was 73, not the most fit athlete along the Camino, and she did well too with more distance than she'd thought she could do.

I set my schedule for my first few days with less mileage. I would recommend doing that, and just easing your way into walking. You sound like you are fit enough to flow into more miles, but if you are not, do not despair. There are lots of people who do 6 - 10 miles a day, and that is fine.

Ultreia!

Thank you, Joe, for your kind reply. I do hope to be able to increase the distance gradually like you mentioned. The distances noted in the books are so daunting!

don't stress yourself: the distances mentioned in the guidebooks are suggestions, though sometimes they don't seem that way.

Do what you can do, and DON'T overdo it. Your stamina will build as you go, and remember it is not a race :)

Happy Trails!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will develop a rhythm and your pace will be whatever works for you and the amount of time you keep up that pace will all come together. It will likely be less in the beginning then after a week then two weeks your body will become used to walking distances. In the end it all works out and is really nothing to stress over. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to walk your own pace even if new friends want to go faster or farther than you.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What do most seniors average walking per day?

I was 61 when I did my last walk. I do around 25 km in more or less flat terrain (which means most of the Camino Frances) with regular weather. I plan for a bit less (20-22) in steep stages, or with bad weather (mud is a serious inconvenience). Distances also depends a lot on the season (i.e the weather) you are intending to walk.
I have walked some 30+ kms stages, but I did not like the experience.
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are able to take the time @Karen C., don't worry about being slow. We took 48 days to get from SJPdP to Santiago. Averaged 18 kms (11 miles) per day. This average does include rest days in the bigger cities.
I have lupus and it flaired because we got caught in a storm going over the Pyrenees. Slowed us down considerably int he beginning until we reached the meseta where I got my stride back. By that time both my travel companions had blisters that slowed them down. I didn't mind. I loved walking the camino slowly. Planning to do it again and have given myself even more time. the camino is not a race.

I am a newbie like you.

I want to share a concept with you.

When I 'train' I go out and walk and walk, possibly with a coffee stop and definitely with a plan to either walk home or get myself home on a bus. I am usually out no longer than 3-4 hours and walk 15+ km.

I think that the circumstances of having ALL day to walk, having as many stops as I want, rests, meals, chats, scenery and historical stops AND the fact that if you don't walk a little bit further you won't have a bed or food, might change your way of both thinking and walking.

My point is that is it impossible to 'mock up' or represent the actual circumstance of the Camino 'at home' with the best will in the world. Instead of 'training' you will have real life, new fun, adventures excitement, encouragement and company from others and a wonderful sense of 'purpose'. Even if is all goes for sh!t, you won't die, and instead have a wonderful adventure. Imagine how you will laugh later at having slept under a tree in a field with a bull that you discover at dawn! I can't wait!

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

BTW I turn 65 on Wednesday 29th March and leave for my first Camino in less than 3 weeks..

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The camino needn't be walked at a particular pace.
If you can arrange your departure date to give you some flexibility, just walk as far as you feel like it each day and stop when you're 'done'--even if you only walked 5k. Longer stages don't mean you're a better pilgrim; the steady and slow get to Santiago, too.
But I bet you'll surprise yourself, especially once you've been going for a week or so. The body drops into a groove after a while, so what seems 'impossible' is a moving target. The first time I walked 30+kms on the Frances, I had sworn up and down the night before that the people who intended to go that far were nuts. When I unexpectedly turned up at their albergue the next afternoon the joke was on me. But I was surprised too.;)

Last edited:
I am a newbie like you.

When I 'train' I go out and walk and walk, possibly with a coffee stop and definitely with a plan to either walk home or get myself home on a bus. I am usually out no longer than 3-4 hours and walk 15+ km.

I think that the circumstances of having ALL day to walk, having as many stops as I want, rests, meals, chats, scenery and historical stops AND the fact that if you don't walk a little bit further you won't have a bed or food, might change your way of both thinking and walking.

My point is that is it impossible to 'mock up' or represent the actual circumstance of the Camino 'at home' with the best will in the world. Instead of 'training' you will have real life, new fun, adventures excitement, encouragement and company from others and a wonderful sense of 'purpose'. Even if is all goes for sh!t, you won't die, and instead have a wonderful adventure. Imagine how you will laugh later at having slept under a tree in a field with a bull that you discover at dawn! I can't wait!

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

BTW I turn 65 on Wednesday 29th March and leave for my first Camino in less than 3 weeks..
Are you sure you haven't walked the Camino yet? Because that's a pretty good description of exactly what it's like. :)

To get a good idea about the possible distances you HAVE to walk (to get somewhere you could sleep - though there are both buses and taxis and there is no shame in that, except for the last 100 km if you want a Compostela), I suggest looking at http://www.godesalco.com/plan .

As you can see, there are many, many options.

I'd suggest not booking far ahead, just do what you want. After a while you'll be stronger and faster and may want to walk longer distances, but there's really no need to unless you actually want it.

there is a huge difference when on the way and the only thing you need to do is walk and you don't have all the other competing needs of the day to do before and afterwards. Both during and after your days walking you get a great rest. I always sleep very well which helps enormously. Keep the fluids up and when your feeling a little tired start chatting to a fellow peregrino and those last few km will just disappear.

Comparing yourself to what others have done or can do will increase your mental and physical anguish! As others have noted, you will have opportunities to stop every 5 kilometers on most segments. Never pass one up without asking yourself if you really can make it to the next one. When in doubt, stop!

My ability to keep going has dropped by about 5 kilometers per day over the years so I cannot reliably use even my last walk as a yardstick.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am 62 and was most comfortable at around 20K / 12 miles a day. Sometimes I stopped before there if there was a particularly interesting town or festival. I was happy not to have a time crunch before I had to fly back, so could take my time. It's hard to plan this kind of thing, because it depends on whether you have foot problems, illness, etc which can slow you down. The beauty of the Frances is that there are plenty of places to stop and stay if you feel like it!

I will be 63 on Thursday. As you can see on my profile (left side) I have walked a few times before, and will walk the Portuguese next month.

I like 20-25 kms/day, but can do more after 1-2 weeks on the Camino. But: It is all up to you. The CF has many opportunities for accomodation, so you decide each day where/when to stop for the day. Just relax. I should also say that last year, I checked one of these guide books (Brierley) that another pilgrim used, and some of the "stages" where completely ridiculus: Too far, and not correctly described. As earlier adviced: Check your options here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances just for the fun of it.

As you will see, you can walk far less (most days), and if you are uncomfortable, there are reliable bus & train services in Spain to take you where you want. Also taxi is an option.

I am a newbie like you.

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

" Even if is all goes for sh!t, you won't die, and instead have a wonderful adventure."

I absolutely love this and your attitude. Good luck and I hope to see you out there. Chuck, "The 70 year old walking man."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a newbie like you.

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

BTW 15 km seems like a hell of a long way to me while most on these forums seem to equate 15 km like it's a walk to the bathroom. At my age I have a hard time driving that far.

Karen,
We usually walked between 16 and 22 km daily. Some days we only walked 8 or 9 km if there was a particular place we wanted to stay or something g we wanted to experience. We tried not to be on the recommended stages whenever possible. Use your guidebook to decide what you want to experience, not how far you must walk.

I am a 64 year old gal of small to average stature and on my Caminos average 13 miles per day when all is said and done. I have walked 18-20 miles a few times when needed, but definately not preferred! I do stop to take photos quite often. I too, get tired at home after a 6 mile hike, but somehow the Caminos are more exciting, with new views at every turn. It kind of helps to take your mind off some of the hardship involved! I go a third time on April 10th! Enjoy your first (possibly of many) Caminos!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also consider the issue from another point of view. Suppose you walk only 4 or 5 hours. If it suits you, fine. But you will have lots of hours in the albergue, in sometimes minuscule villages where there is not too much to do or see. If it is worse with seasons where bad weather is a distinct possibility (so, you don't want to be outdoors, if possible).
If you are a very social person, it is not a problem. If not, you better carry a book, or your music, update your blog, or whatever entertains you better.

Last edited:
BTW 15 km seems like a hell of a long way to me while most on these forums seem to equate 15 km like it's a walk to the bathroom. At my age I have a hard time driving that far.
Hey, Chuck, ditch the TV and a few of those odds and ends, and I bet you'll really notice the difference.:p

Also consider the issue from another point of view. Suppose you walk only 4 or 5 hours. If it suits you, it is fine. But you will have lots of hours in the albergue, in sometimes minuscule villages where there is not too much to do or see. If it is worse with seasons where bad weather is a distinct possibility. If you are a very social person, it is not a problem. If not, you better carry a book, or your music, update your blog, or whatever entertains you better.

Good point. I was naively trying to follow 'the stages' when I started. But I'm a fast walker. I'd be done before noon and killing the day was a real bore! That's when I decided to actually walk until closer to 3 or 4 or 5 in the afternoon and ended up doing over 30 k a day for the last three weeks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Chuck:

15 km's or 9 miles is a significant distance if walking all at once. I walk over an 8 hour period each day.

For example, I get up and walk each morning 6-10 km's to earn my breakfast. After eating I will walk for approximately another 2 hours till lunch ( taking breaks as needed). After lunch I will walk for another two hours (breaks as needed) before calling it quits for that day. Depending on the speed you walk, terrain, weather conditions etc. a person could reasonably walk 18 to 30 km's over an 8 hour period. I walk in the range of 25 to 35 km's per day.

Please understand this is my approach to walking Camino's. It might not work for everyone.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Good point. I was naively trying to follow 'the stages' when I started. But I'm a fast walker. I'd be done before noon and killing the day was a real bore! That's when I decided to actually walk until closer to 3 or 4 or 5 in the afternoon and ended up doing over 30 k a day for the last three weeks.
I sure wish I had your stamina! Kudos to you. I walk until 2 or 3pm just to get my 13 miles in! :)

I will be 63 on Thursday. As you can see on my profile (left side) I have walked a few times before, and will walk the Portuguese next month.

I like 20-25 kms/day, but can do more after 1-2 weeks on the Camino. But: It is all up to you. The CF has many opportunities for accomodation, so you decide each day where/when to stop for the day. Just relax. I should also say that last year, I checked one of these guide books (Brierley) that another pilgrim used, and some of the "stages" where completely ridiculus: Too far, and not correctly described. As earlier adviced: Check your options here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances just for the fun of it.

As you will see, you can walk far less (most days), and if you are uncomfortable, there are reliable bus & train services in Spain to take you where you want. Also taxi is an option.
"As you will see, you can walk far less (most days), and if you are uncomfortable, there are reliable bus & train services in Spain to take you where you want. Also taxi is an option." I really like the relaxed attitude here. When I did the AT there were so many purists that got all over people for what they call "yellow blazing" or hitching a ride, taking a bus a short distance. shuttle Etc.

My first Camino I fell into a dangerous trap of getting caught up in the competitive temptation. I stared in Ponferrada, and all the people I talked to and over heard were sharing that they walked 15, 17, 19, 22, 25 miles a day, YES someone said they were shooting to walk 25+ miles a day. I immediately started thinking "if they can do it, I can do it too". BAD IDEA, on my third day I had gone 38 miles and nearly succumbed to heat exhaustion. I wanted to give up and I hated the Camino at that time. After some intense soul searching, and prayer, I decided to go forward and only walk at my own pace. I ended up finishing my and really enjoyed my days on the Camino after making that decision.

You have to listen to your own body and not overdue it, especially when you are first starting. The guide book suggestions for stages are only that, suggestions. You can stop where and when you want, it's your Camino. An added bonus for not following the stages in the books, is that you get to stay in some awesome small villages, that some pilgrims never see because they are following the stages in the book religiously. Just my two cents:)

Have fun!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldn't worry about the stages. Many of my favorite alburgues were off stage. The alburgues that are not at stage stops tend to be less crowded. On average, I walked 14 miles a day. When I walked in 2015, only 17 of my 34 days walking ended in a Brierly stage stop, and of those 17 days, only 10 involved walking the stage as Brierly suggested. I think some of the most delightful moments come from forgetting about the stages and letting your body and spirit be your guide. I found the Wise Pilgrim iPhone app to be indispensable in helping select alburgues to stop at in off-stage towns.

Last edited:
My first Camino I fell into a dangerous trap of getting caught up in the competitive temptation. I stared in Ponferrada, and all the people I talked to and over heard were sharing that they walked 15, 17, 19, 22, 25 miles a day, YES someone said they were shooting to walk 25+ miles a day. I immediately started thinking "if they can do it, I can do it too". BAD IDEA, on my third day I had gone 38 miles and nearly succumbed to heat exhaustion. I wanted to give up and I hated the Camino at that time. After some intense soul searching, and prayer, I decided to go forward and only walk at my own pace. I ended up finishing my and really enjoyed my days on the Camino after making that decision.

You have to listen to your own body and not overdue it, especially when you are first starting. The guide book suggestions for stages are only that, suggestions. You can stop where and when you want, it's your Camino. An added bonus for not following the stages in the books, is that you get to stay in some awesome small villages, that some pilgrims never see because they are following the stages in the book religiously. Just my two cents:)

Have fun!
Said over a new grave: "So this was where you were going, you hasty one".;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi Karen!

This senior is soon 68 years old. I noticed last year that I soon was able to walk longer distances than right in the beginning. Part of the reason is that I started out too enthousiastically and had 4 blisters after the first day. Towards the end of the camino, I felt that 15 km was really nice. I'd do 20 km without difficulties, but getting tired. If there was no option, I could do 25 km. Beyond that, nobody really enjoys it anymore. Going at a steady pace and giving yourself plenty of time has a lot of advantages besides giving yourself time to get fitter. I can easily do 6 km/hour, but not if I want to enjoy the landscape, take photos and talk with fellow peregrinos. Study the options. You can walk, e.g., from your hostel in Porto without pack to the airport. Then take the bus back. The next day, take the bus to the airport with your pack and continue where you left off. Some hostals offer services like that, especially where there is a longer or more difficult stage ahead. Make sure you have your day off now and then. My rithm: 5 days walking, 1 day off. However, if there is a nice historical city earlier on, I just take my day off earlier. Ask the people in the aubergue where you are staying for workable solutions. You can do it. Go for it!

Karen, you don't mention if your plan is to walk the entire Camino Frances route in one go or not. I will make the assumption that is your plan and your the time you have is somewhat open ended.

As many have mentioned the guide books are in fact a 'guide', not the gospel. Shorter distances are fine, but requires some planning as obviously if you do 15 kilometres and are standing on an empty trail with no facilities that will not work

The guide books all show what is available in as to accommodations in each village/town/city. We have found that some of our best overnight stops were not in the designated end points. There is a mentally in many, they must do each stage as per the guide book and to be honest, we were somewhat this way on our first Camino. Stopping at places, that are not the end points in your guide often are nicer and almost always less expensive than places at the official end points.

The best advice I can give is let your body get acclimatized to the rigors of walking. You will find after about 10 days your stamina will increase. Many push hard on the first few days and pay the price. The first couple of days out of St. Jean are in the top five most challenging days of the entire route, so you need to be careful not to overdue it on the early days.

You will meet others and there will be a tendency that because you enjoy their company, you may push yourself to stay on their pace. All I can say is you need to walk at your own pace, take lots of breaks during the day and really enjoy each days walk. If something is not feeling right, stop right away and deal with it, especially your feet.

If you do have only have so many days to walk, consider completing the Camino in 2 parts, this would allow a nice leisurely pace, some rest days, lots of time to explore the villages/towns/cities along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started fresh in los arcos last time out and noticed how tired everyone looked. But there were no complaints. However as I reached burgos people seemed to have more energy and were doing longer stages. Listen to your body and just let it happen. We can spend hours agonising over the largest and smallest of questions on the forum and then they just seem to melt away once you start....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been thinking about you all day, I hope I am not too late in replying. Do not forget how many other things you do at home. If you stay in a hostel and get up with everybody else the chances are that you will have walked 6miles by mid morning. If you have a rest and eat you could well be ready to do the same again. If not it doesn't matter. Last time I walked on my own and did as much as I could but ,in a sense, I missed the previous camino when I walked with a friend. She had blisters and trouble with her feet. Some days we walked very short distances. I really enjoyed stopping in some of the smaller unusual places.

Hi Karen, I put up a Poll to see what distances people walk. Not that it really matters of course!
But it might be interesting ;)

Distance Poll
Hi Karen,
I am 8 weeks out, have pretty crappy knees and back, I have been doing loads of strengthening and walks over the last few months and physio has made me a programme to potentially lessen the flare ups and strengthen the body, my poles have been a godsend, saying that I did a another 18klm in what I would consider some much rougher terrain with many steps inclines and declines, was a great walk with the views and lots of diversity. I am hoping there is nothing like that on this walk.
Well as much as it was a great walk for the norm I have completly pushed it with the terrain , Klms I can do with not to much insanity about them.
Right now I am suffering 3 days onwards, very disappointed. Especially in myself, was a huge learning curve for what I can, I should, and shouldn't do. I am potentially preparing might need to ride or bus down the Pyrenees , which I feel sad and confused about , but realistically if I would want to continue on and not have this week of NOT WALKING again I will have to consider these other methods, especially being so early in the walk. I have got 40 days but feeling like I might need longer if my legs are struggling and thak god I have a week up my sleeve after the Camino , cause I might need this now.
So I get we're coming from, and so agree with the others, even though I haven't yet done my first Camino.it is a huge journey just to get to SJPDP for me.
Let alone walking to Santiago.

I am 64 overweight and not in the greatest of health. On a good day and with the right weather I can walk 35 km and on a bad day 15 km. It really does depend on the terrain, how I feel and what their is to look at on the way. On the Camino I usually plan to walk around 160 km (100) miles a week but I don't worry to much about it as what I don't do one year I can do another.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm 25, quite skinny and I can easily walk for 25km (with some breaks). But does that mean that it will be easier for me to walk the Camino? I'm guessing... not. I live in the Netherlands, where there are no mountains (we don't even have hills.... it's flat-flat-flat). I was suggested to walk with my backpack (I didn't), I was suggested to walk on the stairs every day for 15 minutes (I didn't). I was suggested to try out my secondhand walking boots (this I did). But what I'm trying to say, we never know what's gonna happen... We can prepare really well, but still be tired after 10km. Or, it's possible that we haven't prepared, but adrenaline pushes us over the edge. I don't know, I'm just a rookie and in April I'm gonna start my first Camino. But what I do know from life - and I'm guessing the Camino won't be any different: we can't be prepared. Ever.

So just have fun. And take all the time you need :) No need to rush!

...What do most seniors average walking per day?
I don't know if we're average or not, but when my wife and I walked the Camino Francés in 2013 (I celebrated my 70th birthday in O'Cebriero), we averaged 12 miles/20 km per day. Our longest day on that journey was about 18 miles/29 km. We're planning about the same average for this year's Camino Portugués, anticipating the longest day to be around 16 miles/25 km.

A sample itinerary for 12 miles/20 km per day on the Camino Francés can be found at http://www.hikingthecamino.com/plan/fast-and-slow-itineraries .

Buen Camino,
Jim

When my wife and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015, we took the local bus a couple of times when one of us had sore knees, etc.. We were feeling pretty sheepish ("false pilgrims" as some people said) until we got on the bus and saw that nearly all the passengers were pilgrims. Many had sore feet, knees or hips, flus or colds, etc and others were simply making up time.

As most pilgrims will tell you, it's your own Camino so do what works for you!

Burn Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Perhaps I should give you some additional information:

Why do you walk? To get to Santiago? Then I should inform you: Many who arrive are filled with sadness: Sad that the walk is over, sad that the journey have ended, sad that they rushed it, sad that they did not pay more attention to where they were, sad that they didn't realise they were in freedom country, sad they they did not understand how to cater for their soul/inner/deeper values, and that they are losing newfound friends. I have seen so many weep in front of the cathedral in SdC realising this.

Remember; Santiago is not the goal. The way is the goal. What you learn, and your newfound insights, is the value of the Camino. You will not understand it now, and you will not understand it when starting, but gradually, while you are underway, you will grow an understanding. If you are a person good at heart. If not; happy holiday.

Relax and make it your way: What is right for you is right,

Last edited:
What's NCIS?
NCIS is a popular American TV series. I believe NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigation Service. It's basically a crime-solving/detective series that deals with crimes that occur on or are somehow related to the US Navy bases or Naval personnel. Pure fiction, but is so popular it has spin-offs set in various locations around the U.S.

The 2 books I have that show the stages recommended...

And that's why they are called "guidebooks" and not "procedures" ;) Stages are really arbitrary. Someone decided that this would be a decent way to divide the journey. There is no reason at all to follow the stages. In fact, you can find lots of interesting (and often less-busy) places by stopping mid-stage. Just go as far as you want to go and then stop for the day. We sometimes stayed at the end of a stage and sometimes not - just depended on how things worked out.

For myself, I have never walked more than about 25km in a day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a newbie like you.

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

I turn 65 on April 19th while on my 3rd Camino! Happy travels, Tigger, you will be in good hands! ;)

When my wife and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015, we took the local bus a couple of times when one of us had sore knees, etc.. We were feeling pretty sheepish ("false pilgrims" as some people said) until we got on the bus and saw that nearly all the passengers were pilgrims. Many had sore feet, knees or hips, flus or colds, etc and others were simply making up time.

As most pilgrims will tell you, it's your own Camino so do what works for you!

Burn Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
NCIS is a popular American TV series. I believe NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigation Service. It's basically a crime-solving/detective series that deals with crimes that occur on or are somehow related to the US Navy bases or Naval personnel. Pure fiction, but is so popular it has spin-offs set in various locations around the U.S.
Mystery solved. Thanks, jmcarp.

Oh, my goodness! I never realized that my questions and concerns would elicit so many wonderful replies! Thank you all so very much for your inciteful responses. You had me in tears by the end. I feel like a part of the Camino family already! I wish I could meet each and every one of you and tell you how much by just responding to my concern meant to me, let alone how much you have inspired me to remember this is My Camino and no one can judge me except myself and my God. We start our Camino walking out of SJPP on May 13th and sure hope to meet some of you along the way.
Buen Camino!!

We took taxis and buses a few times along the way - and yeah, filled with pilgrims. A lot of people are kind of hush-hush about it, but lots of people use them ;) And yes, some people are judgemental about it, but I figure that we all have something to learn on the Camino and for some of us, it is how to ignore the judgmental folks.

We took taxis and buses a few times along the way - and yeah, filled with pilgrims. A lot of people are kind of hush-hush about it, but lots of people use them ;) And yes, some people are judgemental about it, but I figure that we all have something to learn on the Camino and for some of us, it is how to ignore the judgmental folks.
'People' should 'get over themselves' and walk a mile in those other people's shoes who might have a migraine, blisters,medical condition rearing its ugly head or a million other things about the human condition OR EVEN if they just can't be arsed to walk that particular day.

Do you know what?

It is no-one else's business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my goodness! I never realized that my questions and concerns would elicit so many wonderful replies! Thank you all so very much for your inciteful responses. You had me in tears by the end. I feel like a part of the Camino family already! I wish I could meet each and every one of you and tell you how much by just responding to my concern meant to me, let alone how much you have inspired me to remember this is My Camino and no one can judge me except myself and my God. We start our Camino walking out of SJPP on May 13th and sure hope to meet some of you along the way.
Buen Camino!!
Amen! I wish you a Buen Camino.

My wife and I (both mid-50's) are walkers/hikers but my wife is a "slow walker" and while we have crossed more than 1 country on foot, we found some of the longer days on the Camino to be a challenge. You can do 6 "effortlessly" now, but can you do 12+14+13+17+13... with a 12 to 16 pound backpack, day after day after day after day, up and down hills, on hard pavement and rocky paths?

If you see stages that are over 14 miles consider cutting the day short. Those 18 mile days are long days. We altered our plans and ended up cutting many of those long days short.

You are walking for the experience, no need to kill yourself along the way. Feel free to cut short some days, it may add a few days to your Camino but you will enjoy the days and eliminate the hardship.

I did not read all the other replies.
I walked my first camino at 70 years of age, diabetic, overweight and I made it. The secret is don't be afraid, be flexible. It is on the job training, after the first couple of weeks even an old body like mine becomes a walking machine. Some days I walked 5 km and some day 25 km. I took a day off here and there. At the end it was the most memorable experience of my life. And I keep coming back.

Buen Camino!

took 47 days on purpose. Most all the books we read and guides we followed have a majority doing 28-33 days. The books showing many blowing right through big cities and missing the culture and architecture and food of these great cities. Many saying they had to catch a flight or only had 4 weeks - fine - my suggestion would be to go at your pace, not the guides, and if you come up short, go back at another time and finish. Not much sense to me in running a race to ensure you get a Compsostela, when in doing so you miss the memories of an enjoyable walk, at your own pace, and investigate the culture. IMHO, of course. We followed guides mainly to not stay in their end-of-day cities and villages. Zero days every week in Pamplona Burgos, Leon Villafranca del Bierzo and Santiago... not much rest on those days, it was all wandering around the city. Some of our best days were the 10km days. There's one spot that almost you to do a 19 km walk with very little services along the way (Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza) but we took the horse and buggy ride on the Camino instead - never saw it as a cheat - it was another aspect of the Pilgrimage that allowed us to enjoy it. Purists will scoff, but I'm guessing Pilgrims of old caught rides quite often. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

That sounds perfect JayPaul!

I had that concern too however I have been "practicing" a lot. I have walked over 17 miles a day, 12 is now normal for me. I live in Florida and it's the heat that gets me. I can't walk between 10 am and 5 pm. It is just too hot But I get up at 5 am and walk til 10. That gives me 5 hours and at least 12 to 15 miles. Remember walking is ALL you do on the Camino. We are not working our jobs and walking before or after. I take breaks 5 minutes about every hour just to rest my feet a little. Have a snack and drink a lot of water. When you walk and talk the route goes fast. Before you know it you will be able to walk that distance and be proud of it.

Please do not concern yourself with a number. "Listen" to YOUR body. If you do not have enough time to complete your Camino due to an inability to walk certain distances, why not consider either doing your Camino in parts over a period of years OR take transportation. There is no shame in either of these, because this is YOUR Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am 68, walked my first when I was 64. I found the distances to be no great problem.Why, because I ignored them. I walked what I could and stopped when I got tired. Last year because of the extreme heat I thought I would avoid by walking in September, there were days I walked around 8/10 kms, between 5 and 6 miles. Later when the heat dropped I was walking 18 to 22 Kms, 12 to 14 miles. By the time you get a couple of weeks into your camino, you will find you are able to walk further than you thought. BTW, I do very little training, maybe 5km three times a week. How many miles seniors walk daily I wouldn't know :) I am still a young fella at least in my head

'People' should 'get over themselves' and walk a mile in those other people's shoes who might have a migraine, blisters,medical condition rearing its ugly head or a million other things about the human condition OR EVEN if they just can't be arsed to walk that particular day.
Do you know what? It is no-one else's business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure agree with that. If you take a bus or whatever because you have to, or just because you want to, let other people think what they like about it.
The point is that the opinions and judgements of strangers, good and bad, have ZERO effect on your life. Just be honest about it if asked.

Bob M

If you walk 10K per day, the entire Camino Frances will take you at least 80 days to complete. If you have the time, feel free to walk at that pace and enjoy every minute. Some stages may need to be shorter or longer, because albergues or hotel can not be guaranteed to be within 10K.

Consider doing only a section of the trail or perhaps the last 100K.

You also might continue training until you are comfortable with 20K per day which will provide added flexibility in stages with limited accommodation. At that pace you could complete the Camino Frances in a about 40 days.

-Paul

To me, it is the journey, not the destination mantra. I walked the first time totally stressed on distances and exhausted myself. My Dad who is 85 remineded me that I was supposed to be having fun. That, to me, meant taking care of my body, but also having time and energy to learn and absorb the culture of everyone around me. To me, the most amazing people on the Camino were the people who ran the albergues and hostels as well as the shop owners and restaurateurs who fed us and supplied cafe con leche

Near the end, I adjusted my pace and really felt as though I found my pace. I had to decide not to do it all, but do whatever I chose to do I did well.

I am going again this fall. I hope not to embrace the 22/28 day walk to get to Santiago. I love sunrises, the dew on spiderwebs and cafe con leche. I hope I have learned my lesson. I am a snail. I will let you know if I succeeded. Probably not, but again, life is a journey, let us see where it goes.

To you, Karen, Buen Camino. Have fun.

I am 67 and not particularly fit, but i can manage around 20 miles, but it does take all day, but do what you can manage, there are no rules to how far you have to walk, as long as you end up with accommodation every night, whether that be an hotel, Hostal or Albergue. the most important is to prepare well and stretch yourself practicing

Thank you, Joe, for your kind reply. I do hope to be able to increase the distance gradually like you mentioned. The distances noted in the books are so daunting!
Karen.. I'm also starting on May 12th (2017). I'm starting from St. Jean.. perhaps we'll meet! I'll be the 62 year old female.. from St. Louis :)

It really, really doesn't matter how many kms you do per day. Find a rhythm that suits you and stick to it, you'll enjoy our wonderful Camino so much more.

I am 67 and not particularly fit, but i can manage around 20 miles, but it does take all day, but do what you can manage, there are no rules to how far you have to walk, as long as you end up with accommodation every night, whether that be an hotel, Hostal or Albergue. the most important is to prepare well and stretch yourself practicing

That is 32 km per day. You are amazing!

I am 61 and I have Parkinsons, and I completed the Camino in 6 weeks no great hardship, so you would have no problem doing the same. It's not a race, just do what you feel is good for you, everyones Camino is different, that's one off the jjoys of it, buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To me, it is the journey, not the destination mantra. I walked the first time totally stressed on distances and exhausted myself. My Dad who is 85 remineded me that I was supposed to be having fun. That, to me, meant taking care of my body, but also having time and energy to learn and absorb the culture of everyone around me. To me, the most amazing people on the Camino were the people who ran the albergues and hostels as well as the shop owners and restaurateurs who fed us and supplied cafe con leche

Near the end, I adjusted my pace and really felt as though I found my pace. I had to decide not to do it all, but do whatever I chose to do I did well.

I am going again this fall. I hope not to embrace the 22/28 day walk to get to Santiago. I love sunrises, the dew on spiderwebs and cafe con leche. I hope I have learned my lesson. I am a snail. I will let you know if I succeeded. Probably not, but again, life is a journey, let us see where it goes.

To you, Karen, Buen Camino. Have fun.
Pat, my husband and I are from Lafayette, Colorado. Where are you from?

Pat, my husband and I are from Lafayette, Colorado. Where are you from?

Colorado Springs! We have the obstacle af Denver between us.

One of the advantages we have being "high altitude " people is we have more lung capacity.

took 47 days on purpose. Most all the books we read and guides we followed have a majority doing 28-33 days. The books showing many blowing right through big cities and missing the culture and architecture and food of these great cities. Many saying they had to catch a flight or only had 4 weeks - fine - my suggestion would be to go at your pace, not the guides, and if you come up short, go back at another time and finish. Not much sense to me in running a race to ensure you get a Compsostela, when in doing so you miss the memories of an enjoyable walk, at your own pace, and investigate the culture. IMHO, of course. We followed guides mainly to not stay in their end-of-day cities and villages. Zero days every week in Pamplona Burgos, Leon Villafranca del Bierzo and Santiago... not much rest on those days, it was all wandering around the city. Some of our best days were the 10km days. There's one spot that almost you to do a 19 km walk with very little services along the way (Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza) but we took the horse and buggy ride on the Camino instead - never saw it as a cheat - it was another aspect of the Pilgrimage that allowed us to enjoy it. Purists will scoff, but I'm guessing Pilgrims of old caught rides quite often. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Horse and buggy ride??? I am checking that box. What fun, and not something I could do at home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Colorado Springs! We have the obstacle af Denver between us.

One of the advantages we have being "high altitude " people is we have more lung capacity.

Do the Manitou Incline THEN let us know about lung capacity :) That will whip legs and lungs into shape, but it is pure evil.

Don't forget the Private Message facility for private or personal comments.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do the Manitou Incline THEN let us know about lung capacity :) That will whip legs and lungs into shape, but it is pure evil.

Too right! The first time, I did it with a fully loaded backpack. Totally scary. Two women from the Air Force Academy helped me by hauling my backpack up. I was far more cautious the next time and thereafter. I built up.

The Incline is a good prep though.

In your judgement, doing the Barr Trail, how much do you hike to prep?

Too right! The first time, I did it with a fully loaded backpack. Totally scary. Two women from the Air Force Academy helped me by hauling my backpack up. I was far more cautious the next time and thereafter. I built up.

The Incline is a good prep though.

In your judgement, doing the Barr Trail, how much do you hike to prep?

I live in Washington State, but my son relocated there after leaving the military when he returned from Afghanistan (stationed out of Ft Carson). I've done the incline when I visit. For preparation, I live in the foothills of the Central Cascade mountains and hike them 5 days out of 7. Daily average is about 9 miles while gaining 5000 to 6000 feet elevation and losing the same. I find that this allows me to do about 23 miles per day on mountain trails when backpacking. On the flats, like on our Apple Capital Loop Trail, I will do 25 miles (2.5 times around the trail) in about 8 hours.

Karen don't pay close attention to the books they are merely suggestions. As Joe above stated, you will be amazed at how your body adjusts! I am 67 and discovered that my entire body ached by the second day, I swear I was ready to quit! But oddly enough on the third morning the pains were significantly subsiding. 20 kilometers (12 miles) are about my average. Get tired, be nice to yourself quite early. Other days you walk 20 kilometers and wonder how you got there so fast! Enjoy!

One thing I'd recommend is stopping, lying down and propping up your feet in the shade for 15-20 minutes. Maybe every hour and a half? I found this helped my feet not ache quite as much.

Also, hydrate! Even if you run low on water, there are periodic little stops/bars/snack shops that have water or other beverages where you can refresh for a bit.

Good luck and buen camino!

The distances noted in the books are so daunting!
Many pilgrims make the mistake of thinking there is something special about the endpoints of the stages in their guidebook. But really, another guidebook might be different. PLUS, if you are in the minority that does not treat the guidebook stages as daily goals, you might find yourself stopping at an albergue that still has a bottom bunk available. :)

Indtead of thinking in kilometres or miles, try thinking in time.

Are you comfortable walking for an hour? For two or three? It is not as terrifying to walk five hours as walking 20 kilometre...

And try taking a small break every hour, sit down and take your shoes off.

For me these two tricks make walking long distances quite comfortable :D

And buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino is a village to village walk, so there are plenty of opportunities to stop, take off your boots, have coffee, put your feet up etc. Its not like walking 25 kms all in one go.

Every alternate year I usually do the Oxfam trailwalk which is a 100km all terrain event. It normally takes about 24 hours, starts at 6.00am, normally get in about that time the next morning. People ask me how I line up at the start knowing I have to walk 100km. I say 'I dont, I think about it one checkpoint at a time". The longest leg is about 30kms.

The Camino is very similar, places to stop, people to talk to, things to look at. Lots to distract you from the total distance

There are very few sections of the Camino that absolutely require that you must do very lengthy stages.

Most of the time, you can simply choose to walk however far you can or want to walk on a particular day, and whilst there might be an imposition of an extra few kilometres to reach somewhere to sleep, I'd generally say that this is the best approach for everyone, regardless of youth or age, so just take each day on its own terms, and certainly don't attempt to follow some plan that somebody else entirely has come up with in some book !!

Are you comfortable walking for an hour? For two or three? It is not as terrifying to walk five hours as walking 20 kilometre...

And try taking a small break every hour, sit down and take your shoes off.

For me these two tricks make walking long distances quite comfortable

Yes - absolutely. Thinking in regard to time rather than distance can be really helpful. I walk a pretty steady 4km/h with a pack. That means every kilometer takes me about 15 minutes to walk and 20km takes me 5 hours. Then when you consider that you pretty much have all day to walk and no other commitments - spending 5 or 6 hours just WALKING starts to feel like a gift.

Stream [NCIS] onto your mobile phone.:p
I enjoyed NCIS and Monk and so on. And yet, I am still breathing after eight years without TV. And, everyone's different, but I can say that although it was far from pleasant, I survived 66 kilometers one day at age 62. But 20-30 or less is more typical. I stop for coffee in every village, stop to read any signs with geographical or tourist info, stop to take pictures, try out most of the benches I see, …

Training at home is totally different than trekking the Camino or backpacking in the Rockies. Training you can start/stop whenever you want, with any excuses. When you are actually out on your adventure things change, big time!! You become in tune with your body, good or bad, you suffer through, good or bad, but you become stronger! You can't drive back home from the trailhead or pop back home from the run around the block, you realize then and there that you do have what it takes to push a little harder, suffer just a little more, breathe a little deeper and tell yourself, I am going to do this..... no matter what..... and you can... because the alternative is not an issue. Dig deep... it can hurt and usually it does, but you will become a person you will be so proud of, even in the pain.

I am a newbie like you.

Don't fret!

I refuse to!

I just love your attitude! I didn’t take note of how old this thread is but this is the attitude i am going to have when i head out from SJPDP on 2nd June 2018!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was 67 when I walked the CF last spring. I surprised myself with how readily my body acclimated to walking distances. I do live in mountains, so that might make a difference. But I walked for 3 weeks with a flatlander who was 73, not the most fit athlete along the Camino, and she did well too with more distance than she'd thought she could do.

I set my schedule for my first few days with less mileage. I would recommend doing that, and just easing your way into walking. You sound like you are fit enough to flow into more miles, but if you are not, do not despair. There are lots of people who do 6 - 10 miles a day, and that is fine.

Ultreia!

This sounds great! But I have limited days! which is pushing me into more mileage per day! I am very anxious about this. I am training and I am fit. But I feel nervous about the pressure of my limited days to walk--and the mileage I "need" to cover each day. Any and all advice is SO welcome! :)))))

Hi Karen,
What a wonderful adventure you are embarking on! The first time I walked, it was important for me to walk the whole distance. I had to make adjustments to meet that goal. I am 61 now and the back then, I was 58. My Father, who just died a month or so ago gave me great advice back then ....”Have Fun”. Looking back, I did have fun, I decided to ask myself each day..”Am I having fun?” Depending on the answer, I made adjustments or not.

A couple of years ago, I decided wanted to walk again, but change things out and take my time to meet locals, talk to people, enjoy the everything around me. In 2017, I walked again with that in mind. It was as wonderful as the first time. I was only able to go from St Jean to Leon, but that is okay, I had a different goal and.....I have next year. I will finish The Camino Frances with the memories of my Father reminding me to “Have Fun”

Long story short, have fun. Set a goal, walk what you can, make adjustments. Meet people. Enjoy. Much of the fun will be the hard work and satisfaction of what you accomplish as well as the people you meet. It is a special road you are choosing to travel. It is good.

Buen Camino

Hi Karen,
What a wonderful adventure you are embarking on! The first time I walked, it was important for me to walk the whole distance. I had to make adjustments to meet that goal. I am 61 now and the back then, I was 58. My Father, who just died a month or so ago gave me great advice back then ....”Have Fun”. Looking back, I did have fun, I decided to ask myself each day..”Am I having fun?” Depending on the answer, I made adjustments or not.

A couple of years ago, I decided wanted to walk again, but change things out and take my time to meet locals, talk to people, enjoy the everything around me. In 2017, I walked again with that in mind. It was as wonderful as the first time. I was only able to go from St Jean to Leon, but that is okay, I had a different goal and.....I have next year. I will finish The Camino Frances with the memories of my Father reminding me to “Have Fun”

Long story short, have fun. Set a goal, walk what you can, make adjustments. Meet people. Enjoy. Much of the fun will be the hard work and satisfaction of what you accomplish as well as the people you meet. It is a special road you are choosing to travel. It is good.

Buen Camino

That post was from 2017. I'd love to hear how Karen enjoyed her walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This sounds great! But I have limited days! which is pushing me into more mileage per day! I am very anxious about this. I am training and I am fit. But I feel nervous about the pressure of my limited days to walk--and the mileage I "need" to cover each day. Any and all advice is SO welcome! :)))))

Just walk what you can, and if you have to cut short your walk because of limited days, that's OK. Or walk what you can each day and take a bus/taxi to the end of that stage. It's all okay - don't apply pressure to yourself. Remember that you are in training and are fit and presumably have a light load to carry and your boots are tested. They are more important things.

I know that's easy to say, but there are techniques that can help remove pressure. For starters, the only thing that matters is your own accomplishment - not what guidebooks say or what distances other people walk - even less what other people say or think. Limited time is only a limit that determines what you can accomplish. Mindfulness while walking also helps by focusing the mind on what is now, step after step.

Hope that rather vague waffle helps.

Bob M

How many days do you have? I would suggest starting closer to Santiago if you are worried.

I really like the advice from
Hi Karen,

Buen Camino
This is excellent advice.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back