• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having difficulty purchasing bus tickets on the ALSA site...

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
I am running into a problem purchasing bus tickets on Alsa's site from Madrid to Pamplona, and then Pamplona to SJPP. It will not accept my credit card for some reason.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have suggestions on how to get it to work?

Assuming it doesn't work, I guess I'll just show up in Madrid and try to buy the ticket that day at the T4 office.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have just successfully purchased tickets on the Alsa site (Bilbao to SJPP) and used PayPal from New Zealand.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am running into a problem purchasing bus tickets on Alsa's site from Madrid to Pamplona, and then Pamplona to SJPP. It will not accept my credit card for some reason.

Assuming it doesn't work, I guess I'll just show up in Madrid and try to buy the ticket that day at the T4 office.
Yes . I gave up and bought my tickets at the Alsa booth later on in Santiago.

I faced another problem..not for you but in common.
Checking in on a Ryanair flight on the internet.
My flight was going from Porto in Portugal to Eindhoven the Netherlands.
We were one step before Santiago and whatever I tried ,no succes to reserve my prepaid homeflight and get a seat and boarding card.
I ask the receptionist of a hotel if I could use the computer and the printer.
The spanish speaking lady tried and tried as I did before many times .at last she phoned somebody and the person told her to log on on the english website of Ryanair www.ryanair.com instead of the automaticly redirected spanish webside www.ryanair.es.so I could reserve the seats and could print out the boardingcard.
Very strange.

We also had difficulty on the camino before Santiago trying to book our tickets. Gave up and bought them at the ticket office at the bus station. No problem.

Its probably your bank protecting you from spending your money.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We also had difficulty on the camino before Santiago trying to book our tickets. Gave up and bought them at the ticket office at the bus station. No problem.
Alsa has a sales booth now at the Pilgrims office in Santiago .
I bought our tickets to Porto there last june. Very convenient service from Alsa.

Last edited:
Alsa has a sales booth now at the Pilgrims office in Santiago .
I bought our tickets to Porto there last june. Very conveniant service from Alsa.

Convenient in season but not open during the winter. Off season you need to book in person at the SdC bus station. Be sure to take your national passport with you when you book.

Bom caminho!

Convenient in season but not open during the winter. Off season you need to book in person at the SdC bus station. Be sure to take your national passport with you when you book.

Bom caminho!
Good that you mention that Margreth. Anyway you have to go to the busstation to hop on the bus.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I had the same problem last month. I finally resorted to using PayPal although I swear that my MasterCard worked two years ago. No problem once I switched my payment method.

Also did not work for me. Tried it several times thru their app and website, but while processing payment it fails. I ended up buying it the old fashioned way, at the busstation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes . I gave up and bought my tickets at the Alsa booth later on in Santiago.

I faced another problem..not for you but in common.
Checking in on a Ryanair flight on the internet.
My flight was going from Porto in Portugal to Eindhoven the Netherlands.
We were one step before Santiago and whatever I tried ,no succes to reserve my prepaid homeflight and get a seat and boarding card.
I ask the receptionist of a hotel if I could use the computer and the printer.
The spanish speaking lady tried and tried as I did before many times .at last she phoned somebody and the person told her to log on on the english website of Ryanair www.ryanair.com instead of the automaticly redirected spanish webside www.ryanair.es.so I could reserve the seats and could print out the boardingcard.
Very strange.

Is it true you need to check-in and print your boarding passes with Ryanair or they charge you more? If so, do you remember what the window of time is for you to do so? I know you can't do it right when you buy it online.

Is it true you need to check-in and print your boarding passes with Ryanair or they charge you more? If so, do you remember what the window of time is for you to do so? I know you can't do it right when you buy it online.
As I remember you can check in on line 5 days ahead of your flight.
If they print out your boarding card at the airport I thought it costs you 15 €

We had another experience at the airport. Per person you are allowed to check in up to 15 kg .they say 2 backs or cases. I payed for that. both backpacks were around 7 kg each.
At the Eindhoven airport they hardly have staff to attend you so there is a machine that checks in your luggage. It scans your printed out boardingcard. You put your luggage on the belt. One pack went in .the other was refused. I complained about it after searching for staff. Staff you only find behind a till so there you can pay extra as I had to do 35€ . No other choice. They did not listen to any arguments. Ryanair is a mickey mouse airline company with very bad service.for me this was the last time I flew with this company. They treat you like you are a "walking moneybag or creditcard. Not a human being of flesh and blood.
On the way back we put the two backs together to one item. In Porto was airport staff that handled correctly..

Thanks, everyone. I don't use Paypal, so I'll just get it at the ticket counter. That said, does anyone know if ALSA accepts American Express at their ticket counters? (They say they do on their website, but it doesn't work on their website.)

If I were you I would carry cash ... just in case.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I would suggest reading the fine print before you purchase anything from Ryanair. This airline actually considered charging a fee to use the toilet while in flight.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back