• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having problems buying train ticket

Markaphx

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - March / April 2015
Hello,
I am trying to buy my train ticket on RENFE from Barcelona to Pamplona for 3/23/15. I'd like to buy the 0930, arriving in Pamplona at 1315. I've been watching the RENFE site and the train I want keeps telling me:

El tren consultado no se encuentra disponible para la venta en estos momentos. Inténtelo de nuevo más adelante y disculpe las molestias.

Or in English:

The consulted train is not available for sale right now. Please try again later and sorry for the inconvenience.

What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to continue to wait? I'm leaving in less than 30 days.

The earlier train leaving Barcelona at 0730 is available. Will I be able to get a taxi from Placa de Catalunya that early in the morning?

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
I am trying to buy my train ticket on RENFE from Barcelona to Pamplona for 3/23/15. I'd like to buy the 0930, arriving in Pamplona at 1315. I've been watching the RENFE site and the train I want keeps telling me:

El tren consultado no se encuentra disponible para la venta en estos momentos. Inténtelo de nuevo más adelante y disculpe las molestias.

Or in English:

The consulted train is not available for sale right now. Please try again later and sorry for the inconvenience.

What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to continue to wait? I'm leaving in less than 30 days.

The earlier train leaving Barcelona at 0730 is available. Will I be able to get a taxi from Placa de Catalunya that early in the morning?

Thank you!
there's a pretty good metro service in Barcelona and the metro is in Placa De Catalunya isn't it.

If you put the phrase "El tren consultado no se encuentra disponible para la venta en estos momentos. Inténtelo de nuevo más adelante y disculpe las molestias." in google.es, you'll see there are a lot of customers with the same question about a lot of different trains. Some are just mad, some think that the company operating the fast trains is reevaluating some of the routes, others just chalk it up to general incompetence.

What I would do if I were you would be to buy the earlier ticket. You can get a taxi from the Plaza Catalunya at any time of day or night. Barcelona has a good metro system, too.

Buen camino, Laurie

and p.s. If you are actually able to buy your ticket on the RENFE website, please let me know. I've only been successful once in my life and would like to know if RENFE's promises about making it more accessible have been fulfilled.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

Or in English:

Thank you!
7h30 is not that early. I used to work for three years in Barcelona and even had to be quite a bit earlier on the road to avoid long and bouring traffic jams.
In Barcelona everywhere are taxi's around 24/7
If you stay in a hotel, let the frontdesk call a taxi for you.

Last edited:
From the UK find Spanish Railways on the internet and then ring them.
They will book a single ticket or a full train tour in Spain for a set price. My 3 journeys cost 10euros in 2012.
Hope this helps, if you are really stuck, but you can get taxis anytime day or night in Barcelona.

Relax, even on a Monday morning there won't be thousands of mad Catalunyans crowding onto a train for Pamplona at 0930, at 0730 no problem either. Get your ticket in Barcelona.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all
It's better to buy the ticket in advance, It's more cheaper -there is Offers- that to buy in train station.
Buena suerte.

Hello,

Or in English:

Thank you!
I booked some tickets last summer on the Renfe web. Some of the long distance routes cannot be bought until a few weeks ahead, think I waited until 2 or 3 weeks ahead. It was easy then, reserved a ticket, paid by creditcard, got a mail with a bookingnumber which I used to print out my tickets at home. Can also be printed out at a ticket machine at the railwaystation.
I use the Renfe app to check up horarios, but I prefer to book on web. Some routes cannot be be bought on the app.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I booked some tickets last summer on the Renfe web. Some of the long distance routes cannot be bought until a few weeks ahead, think I waited until 2 or 3 weeks ahead. It was easy then, reserved a ticket, paid by creditcard, got a mail with a bookingnumber which I used to print out my tickets at home. Can also be printed out at a ticket machine at the railwaystation.
I use the Renfe app to check up horarios, but I prefer to book on web. Some routes cannot be be bought on the app.

Ahh, Ranthr, but you are in Norway. It's the poor pilgrims in North America who have had years of frustration using the RENFE website.

Well I've been trying to buy on RENFE and on Petrabax.com (that seat61 suggests ) several times a day and I'm not able to get it done.
Now I think I'm stuck buying my ticket when I get to Barcelona.
Is there a ticket booth in the airport or near Placa de Catalunya? I'd like to buy my ticket when I arrive the day before my train trip and don't want to make a special trip to the train station.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi mark
I wouldn't say you're stuck.

I secured my ticket for last sept (on line from Australia). Same method as 'ranthr'

Worked ok and I had paperwork with me. I stayed in a hotel in walking distance to Barcelona Sants. All ok

But. I do feel that it would have been easier just to have got it the day before travelling or even on the day once in Barcelona. They are a friendly 'mob' and they will sort you out.

Also buying online added quite a bit in conversion of the price (Aussie credit card to euro - Renfe )

If you buy direct there in euro it's a straight out transaction with no extras you find later.

I'm sure you'll get a seat no probs. and if all else fails there are lots of buses to Pamplona.

Enjoy your walk
Buen Camino
Annie

Hello,

Or in English:

Thank you!
We are likely going to be following the same route in June (Barcelona to Pamplona to SJPP). May I ask where you are planning to stay in Barcelona? Hope the train situation works out well for you. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I downloaded the app. Thanks for the advice. It does allow you to select the language.

My wife and I will start the Camino in early May.

Hello,

Or in English:

Thank you!

Markaphx:

I do not recall having any problem purchasing my ticket online in 2012. My problem was the day I arrived there was a general strike and no transportation of any kind was available. I got a room near Barcelona Sants train station (lots of hotels within walking distance) and the next morning went to the station. At first they refused to give me an exchange but eventually relented. Since that time, I have always purchased my tickets at the train station when I renew my (Tarjeta Dorada card). I do not think it will be an issue other than maybe lines but I find that unlikely early in the morning. Spain is a nocturnal society.

In regards to the cost of purchasing in advance versus at the station, I can honestly say I am not sure. I never had any difficulty finding a cab in Barcelona.

I went on the RENFE website and that 9:30 train does not seem to be available after March 20 for some reason.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kanga -- the seat61 site you mentioned is GREAT! Thanks so much. I am not certain the Renfe site will work from the US when we get ready to purchase our tickets, but the how to on that site is really helpful and the info decoding all the choices is very good. LIz

Renfe has some time restrictions for booking. I suggest that non-Europeans, if they encounter problems, should try at a different time.

We are likely going to be following the same route in June (Barcelona to Pamplona to SJPP). May I ask where you are planning to stay in Barcelona? Hope the train situation works out well for you. Buen Camino!
I'm staying at the St Christopher Inn Hostal right on Placa de Catalunya. They have pod beds that are semi private and good prices.
Two nights, just enough to get over jet lag and see a bit of the city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.