• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having Second Thoughts

Pcav182

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte
So lately I have been having second thoughts as to whether I truly want/should to walk the Camino this coming July. I know ultimately this is a question that I need to answer myself, but I would appreciate any words of advice that some might have (also it helps to vent). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I want to walk the Camino and that one day I will, but in the last few weeks, I have wondered if THIS summer is truly the right time for me.

The reason I think, perhaps that I should not walk this summer is because come this September, I will be beginning university in Spain (I live in the US) , meaning when I leave to walk the Camino this July, that'll be it and I will not be going home and able see family until Christmas. I have never been away from home for that long, and so I am wondering if perhaps I should wait to walk maybe my second year of university and by then used to being away from home. If i were to be walking the camino, knowing that I would be going home right after walking, i know that I would have no problem, but I am worried that i'll be home sick the entire camino, knowing I won't be going home for another five months if I go this July.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! (I am just 18 btw- just a kid)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So lately I have been having second thoughts as to whether I truly want/should to walk the Camino this coming July. I know ultimately this is a question that I need to answer myself, but I would appreciate any words of advice that some might have (also it helps to vent). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I want to walk the Camino and that one day I will, but in the last few weeks, I have wondered if THIS summer is truly the right time for me.

The reason I think, perhaps that I should not walk this summer is because come this September, I will be beginning university in Spain (I live in the US) , meaning when I leave to walk the Camino this July, that'll be it and I will not be going home and able see family until Christmas. I have never been away from home for that long, and so I am wondering if perhaps I should wait to walk maybe my second year of university and by then used to being away from home. If i were to be walking the camino, knowing that I would be going home right after walking, i know that I would have no problem, but I am worried that i'll be home sick the entire camino, knowing I won't be going home for another five months if I go this July.

I understand your concerns, especially the homesick question, and I know the prospect of going overseas and so far away from home is rather daunting. I think you will find that once you get there and meet some absolutely wonderful people you will be become comfortable and comforted. The Spanish people are SO warm and friendly. And it is easy to communicate with family back home they will never really be far away. When you think about it, it really isn't that long a period between July and December anyway. You will be so busy and fulfilled time will fly by. Of course you can wait until next summer, but if walking the Camino is something you really want to do something else may come up to prevent you going next summer. And the next summer it may be something else... before you know it you will be 30 and possibly have responsiblilties that will again prevent you from going. Just FYI...walking the Camino is something that has been in the back of my mind for years, and I am in my early 60s, and I am embarking on my first Camino this September.
I had the opportunity to study in Spain when I was just a bit older than you, and didn't go primarily for the reasons you stated. It is one of my biggest regrets. I have found as I have gotten older that I have more regrets about things I had the chance to do and didn't, rather than things I did.
Anyway, as you say the choice is ultimately yours. So good luck! I will be holding good thoughts for you whatever you decide to do.
BTW...where will you be studying in Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember the time when I was your age and left home to go to school in Toronto (family stayed in Germany). The first 2-3 days I was really home sick as it was, too, the first time I've ever been on my own. But that quickly changed as I met so many nice people and got totally distract from even thinking of home.

I guess it's rather a question how open minded you are. If you are interested in meeting other people and hang out with them, you will have a great time and won't miss home that badly. And even nowadays, you can WhatsApp/facetime, so always a chance to exchange with your family.

Honestly, I would encourage you to do it this year. It will be a fun start into your time in Spain and you will start smoothly into a different country/culture. When I started university abroad I was a little bit overwhelmed by the studies and the different culture/language at the same time, so doing the Camino this year might give you more time to adapt. And who knows, maybe you already meet friends that are living close by where you are and this is always nice to know :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Time to make an independent decision. This is just your first of many that will shape your future. Start strong & stay with that decision.

I understand your concerns, especially the homesick question, and I know the prospect of going overseas and so far away from home is rather daunting. I think you will find that once you get there and meet some absolutely wonderful people you will be become comfortable and comforted. The Spanish people are SO warm and friendly. And it is easy to communicate with family back home they will never really be far away. When you think about it, it really isn't that long a period between July and December anyway. You will be so busy and fulfilled time will fly by. Of course you can wait until next summer, but if walking the Camino is something you really want to do something else may come up to prevent you going next summer. And the next summer it may be something else... before you know it you will be 30 and possibly have responsiblilties that will again prevent you from going. Just FYI...walking the Camino is something that has been in the back of my mind for years, and I am in my early 60s, and I am embarking on my first Camino this September.
I had the opportunity to study in Spain when I was just a bit older than you, and didn't go primarily for the reasons you stated. It is one of my biggest regrets. I have found as I have gotten older that I have more regrets about things I had the chance to do and didn't, rather than things I did.
Anyway, as you say the choice is ultimately yours. So good luck! I will be holding good thoughts for you whatever you decide to do.
BTW...where will you be studying in Spain?

Thanks so much for your advice! I will be studying at Universidad de Navarra in Pamplona. Luckily, I will have my two sisters who currently attend there to have to lean on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes do it ! ..... it will be a great way to get used to being away from home AND a lot of us don't want to go home after.

It will also be a great way to get used to being in Spain so you are comfortable when you start Uni .

Also in this age of technology there is anyways Skype to see family .... you could have been going to Uni in the next county at home and still missed family

Just do give yourself a rest period between Camino and Uni

Ultreia

I suspect that you have generalized anxiety about the whole experience, whether for 3 months or 5 months. If you are busy with constructive activities in Spain, you should have minimal homesickness and it would make very little difference whether you plan 3 months or 5 months without seeing some of your family. It would be a shame to let this general anxiety, about maybe being more homesick, get in the way of a good experience. Don't fuel the idea of homesickness! Accept that a bit will likely occur, but that is part of growing up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Carpe diem young man.
Why put off doing something later when you could do it now? Besides, walking the Camino is a holiday. It ain't like your going off to boot camp or something.
I sure wish I could have walked it when I was 18....also at that age, the Camino while still a series of very long walks over hills and such, should not be difficult at all. I could have run the dang thing at that age. ;)
ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I left 'home' at 14. Deck-boy; then Bait-boy; then Apprentice on the long-liners out of the west coast ports. Did a bit of fruit picking and potato lifting and anything else that was going outside of the fishing months 'till I had money in my pocket and the respect of my peers. Some nights I wept and some nights I laughed at the glory of it all. I was 21 when I went 'home' again. I used to write a letter 'home' every few months & sometimes I'd manage to pick up a letter from 'home' sent to a post-office I might get to. You can 'Skype' 24/7 these days.

You have an opportunity to taste Spain before you are immersed in it. You have the opportunity to live in the strangest, most diverse, friendliest and most supportive city on the planet (the camino is a linear city). You will make new friends from every side of the globe and you will start to expand your family: as you grow as a man so will your family grow. And 'home' will always be there. Just 'cos you're a little bit out of New England doesn't mean there isn't some New England in you.

Buen Camino

You have he opportunity to do it now. Why risk doing it in the future when you can be too busy with uni, or having to decide between the Camino or trip home during holidays?
Go now.

Being homesick will probably happen, does not matter if you go now or later. I work with international students in a uni, and it normally kicks in during their 6th week away from home, when all excitement of the new place is settled and assignments became stressful. During the Camino, your excitement will probably be kept high, helping you to adapt to Spanish culture. I also think it is good to go earlier to a place and have some time to enjoy it/adapt before jumping into classes.

Your family will keep loving you. Keep them in your heart and go. They will be happy if you are happy. There's wi-fi almost everywhere, call them and tell all about your experience, it will be great!

Walking the Camino can be hard work. Sometimes the Forum makes it sound easy, but it is hard physically and mentally. It is typical to have motivation disappear after a week or two. Some quit. Most find the resources to push on (which may involve buses and taxis, although many will deny it!!). If you really think you will suffer from homesickness, it will hit you the most when you are weakest. If it will be expensive to quit and return home, I would suggest you examine whether you rally want to walk it now. It has been here for twelve hundred years, and will be here when you have the motivation. Don't underestimate the disappointment you will feel if you quit. You can find a lot of threads in the Forum discussing restarting the Camino after having had to quit for a variety of reasons. While there are a lot of reasons to push your limits in life, setting out knowing you will fail is rarely a good idea in any endeavor, including the Camino. :);)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much for your advice! I will be studying at Universidad de Navarra in Pamplona. Luckily, I will have my two sisters who currently attend there to have to lean on.

Just adding one more to those saying do it this summer! It will be a great way to get familiar with part of Spanish culture, and with the Camino going through Pamplona you'll actually walk past where you'll be studying! And how fantastic that your sisters are there, so you'll have lots of family support when you need it. I agree with the comment that arriving in a country and going straight into study cam be overwhelming - if you have already been there for a couple of months by then and feel a bit settled, you will have a head start. And it's so true that if you put off the Camino this year, something could easily come up next year to put it off again, and so on.

The Camino isn't easy, and it's totally normal to feel anxious. But I think you'll be glad you did it, and will find it an excellent way to make that transition from home to overseas study.

Buen Camino!!

I have walked the camino three times, first when I was 64 and again at 65 and 67, I wish I would have walked it when I was 20, but work and family and business took most of my years, I can only say walk it as it will help you prepare for Uni and you will meet so many friends. This will be great for your time in Spain.....Go for it you will be surprised by the joy you will have.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's hard to think of a better preparation for University in Spain than the Camino.

I say go for it -- I walked my 1994 Camino just before starting University in Paris, and everything worked out fine.

I can not think of any better way of warm up for Spain than starting with a camino as a first. You will bee so much wiser and greatful when finished. New friends is also a added bonus.

I envy you for all thats ahead.

Go for it!

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
and your hesitation is? that it will bring closer the time when you leave the family nest? Your home life, as it has been, is over, gone ... now you move into a new phase of your life.

you know what birds do? They kick the young out of the nest and the birds learn to fly on the way down ;)

apron strings and scissors - you are 18, not a child ... pack a bag, get over there ... this is a great opportunity to become an independent person before you start Uni - all those others will be straight from the family home, most won't even know how to boil an egg or use a washing machine - but you will! and you will know how to survive, and make your own decisions and to be your own man or woman (no idea if you are male or female)

I'm No 20 - jump ... out of the nest ... learn to fly, you will love it :) :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Like you say only you know the answer. But one alternative is to do a short section (which is really easy) for a couple of days once you are in Spain and studying and if you enjoy it then do a whole Camino at the end of your studies. Despite all that you read here you don't need any special equipment or training (especially at 18). The only downside is if you choose to start from St Jean that this is the most difficult part of the Francis and so gives a very distorted view. Enjoy your studies and best of luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like you say only you know the answer. But one alternative is to do a short section (which is really easy) for a couple of days once you are in Spain and studying and if you enjoy it then do a whole Camino at the end of your studies

Why so negative and defeatist ? Why not suggest the OP could even choose to walk from somewhere within France, such as Lourdes, St Palais, Toulouse or Bordeaux ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The pilgrimage will give you interspective and will be a great transition into the culture. This time will give you time to reflect on your life and your future. This will serve as an opportunity taken without any regret.
You are beginning a new chapter in your life and time spent with yourself and so much time to think about your life will be most valuable.

It would be really easy to be a smart ass about it but I won't. I will say this however. I work with adolescents and young adults in therapeutic wilderness programming. And I know it is really tough to be a high schooler or freshman college kid. I wouldn't want to do it again. Converesly, we are raising entire generations of entitled pansies. Grow a set, cut the apron strings and GO TO ****** SPAIN!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW 18 years old !!!!!!! This is the exact time of your life to go and walk. Home sick? That's what the internet and cell phones are for! I will GUARANTEE you you will meet many really good people along the way who will unknowingly help you get through the tough times.
Don't even think twice, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!! As much as this sounds like a cliche', You will come home a different person !!!!! Start packing !

Go. Walking the Camino Francés will be a wonderful introduction to independence. You will be among friendly folk, most of whom speak English, and along the way you will become familiar and comfortable with a new culture, a new way of being, to making your own decisions and to being responsible for yourself.

The only thing to fear is too much "mothering" by us oldies!

When I was 18 years old I was in the Canadian Army Reserve and spending my summers on Regular Army Bases getting yell at all day! Anything for a Buck they say, I wish I had known about the Camino back then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Go. Walking
Go. Walking the Camino Francés will be a wonderful introduction to independence. You will be among friendly folk, most of whom speak English, and along the way you will become familiar and comfortable with a new culture, a new way of being, to making your own decisions and to being responsible for yourself.

ha ha yes once a mom, always a mom...

Ah. Many Spaniards walk the Camino in Segments. Week at time as they have windows of opportunity. Ultimately your call, but it's a valid alternative to go later, but in stages

€46,-
I met quite a few 18 yr olds and slightly older, they'd just packed a few things and off they went, often to the horror of their mother/relatives . All were having a ball! (Even in difficulty...)
One on the VdlP, he was following in Laurie Lee's footsteps...

But I hear what you all say and yet.... I still think the Camino isn't for everyone.

I remember the time when I was your age and left home to go to school in Toronto (family stayed in Germany). The first 2-3 days I was really home sick as it was, too, the first time I've ever been on my own. But that quickly changed as I met so many nice people and got totally distract from even thinking of home.

I guess it's rather a question how open minded you are. If you are interested in meeting other people and hang out with them, you will have a great time and won't miss home that badly. And even nowadays, you can WhatsApp/facetime, so always a chance to exchange with your family.

Honestly, I would encourage you to do it this year. It will be a fun start into your time in Spain and you will start smoothly into a different country/culture. When I started university abroad I was a little bit overwhelmed by the studies and the different culture/language at the same time, so doing the Camino this year might give you more time to adapt. And who knows, maybe you already meet friends that are living close by where you are and this is always nice to know :)
I agree with Fritzi...the Camino would provide the perfect transition for you. You will arrive at university with a peace of mind like you cannot imagine right now. IF you proceed and walk this summer, however, please, please focus on your Camino and don't worry about worrying! This will be the trip you will always treasure no matter where you have been in the past or where you will go in the future. Seize the day!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone in this beautiful world is given a life. There is no guarantee that any of us will have a long one . These words were spoken last week at the funeral of a young friend of mine. We will all wake up one day and realize that a time has come that we can not do all that we want . Go now , it will be well worth , you may even find other answers you questions you never knew you had.

Buen Camino

The only problem you might have walking before starting school will be the temptation you may have to join every pilgrim you see and get back on the Camino while you are are supposed to be attending classes in Pamplona. :D:D:D

No idea on your personal decision but walking through Spain in July is incredibly hot and on that basis alone I would delay until you can do it in May or September.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

hello kid :) .. no one but you can make up your mind for you.. I am 67 and though I had wanted to walk the Camino for decades, when the time came I had severe cold feet syndrome.. but... I went for it and am thrilled I did it.. it was absolutely the right time for me.. whenever you decide and go.. I am certain you will never regret the experience and I hope you have the very best of Caminos.. Buen Camino <3

Not sure when in July you plan to walk, we will be there the end into August - starting in Astorga. Perhaps we will meet you! We are walking as a family - myself, husband, and our 5 children ages 21, 19, 17, 15, & 14. I vote you go now too! Buen Camino!

Greetings,
A month of hiking could be a great way to acclimatize to your new country of residence, especially if a fellow student is hiking with you. That said, unless you love hiking long distances or feel a genuine call to make the camino, it's not unknown for 18-year-olds to drop out because they get bored or isolated amongst a lot of older people with baggage, so I suggest you are either use Announcements to find other students to walk with, or maybe do just the last 100km from Sarria. But you'll know what's best.

Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
so I suggest you are either use Announcements to find other students to walk with,

Seeing as most of the people I met on the Camino were NOT on this forum, especially the younger ones, I don't know if the OP will find other students to walk with that way, and may be discouraged if no one responds.
Once on the Camino he will find plenty of company.
While I enjoy chatting here on the forum, and have found very friendly people here that I think that I'd get along with, I don't think that I would want to commit to walking with someone that I don't really know. Heck, I didn't even want to commit to walking with a real life friend last year!

18, just a kid? - a hundred years ago "kids" were dying on the western front! You can talk yourself out of it and always have an excuse for not doing it but when you look back on your life and think of the things you DIDN'T do, you will regret it, so carpe deum, because tomorrow is too late

Please do it. Do not wait till you are my age before doing something like this. Treat the Camino as you first study complete it and you will never look back in life again.
Go and make yourself proud of yourself and make us proud of you to.
There is only one person that can stop you and that is you.
If you do not do it you could leave a hole in your life (like I have|).Then you can pour into, all the excuses under the sun.
Wont that be fun.
God Bless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seeing as most of the people I met on the Camino were NOT on this forum, especially the younger ones, I don't know if the OP will find other students to walk with that way, and may be discouraged if no one responds.
Once on the Camino he will find plenty of company.
While I enjoy chatting here on the forum, and have found very friendly people here that I think that I'd get along with, I don't think that I would want to commit to walking with someone that I don't really know. Heck, I didn't even want to commit to walking with a real life friend last year!
I'm sure that the OP will find people, if not here than via social media or the university website. And if they don't get along, they can walk apart.

As you go through life you will discover that some of the greatest and most impactful experiences happen when you go outside your comfort zone. Walking the Camino is a wonderful way to build your confidence to successfully complete your studies and begin your career. And guess what? You'll probably be surrounded by hundreds of young people just like you. Yes, family is important but they will still be their when you finish. And I'm sure in the coming year there will be either visits by them or during the semester break, just like magic, a ticket will appear for you to make a trip home. Mum and dads tend to do this as they will be missing you as well.

The decision is yours but another fact you learn as you get older is that 'every day's a great day' and none of know what's around the corning. Many people have put things off to their regret. My eldest son is a lawyer in New York (we're an Australian family and not sure if my next point says more about lawyers or Australians, ha ha) and at about your age got what we thought was a very interesting tattoo. On his arm he had tattooed the words Carpe Diem - Seize the Day. I think that says it all. Good luck with the Camino, your studies and life's journey.

WOW
Walking the Camino can be hard work. Sometimes the Forum makes it sound easy, but it is hard physically and mentally. "

BUT this is true if many things in life . NOT a reason to not try .

"It is typical to have motivation disappear after a week or two. Some quit. Most find the resources to push on (which may involve buses and taxis, although many will deny it!!). If you really think you will suffer from homesickness, it will hit you the most when you are weakest. If it will be expensive to quit and return home, I would suggest you examine whether you rally want to walk it now. "

I did not have a reason to do Camino really BUT as I suspected and found , the Camino DID have a reason for me to be there .

" It has been here for twelve hundred years, and will be here when you have the motivation. "

One never knows when the right time will be . The only time anyone of any age has is NOW .

"Don't underestimate the disappointment you will feel if you quit. You can find a lot of threads in the Forum discussing restarting the Camino after having had to quit for a variety of reasons. While there are a lot of reasons to push your limits in life, setting out knowing you will fail is rarely a good idea in any endeavor, including the Camino. :);)
"

WOW. How can anyone know they will fail when setting out on anything . Mindset for failure is thinking you will fail before you try . My mother her whole life infected my mind with such damaging "wisdom" and I use my whole life to rid my mind if it.

I did Camino 2016 , having given myself every excuse for three years not to go even though I have been to some far more "dangerous" adventures in past 10 years.
In the end I decided to rock up and see what happened . I did no training due to work , family , time pressures . And yet I went with the mind set to " rock up and see what happened " .....
yes some of it was hard , some if it glorious BUT I loved it all ! And not until I returned home did I see what I had learnt and the changes it made in me .

Ultreia .....

I know family can be a problem. I missed mine terribly while on the camino and I was returning home straight after it so I am not going to say dont let it stop you. However, yesterday, I got one of these memory things from facebook dating back to just before my first camino. The post went something like this, 'Just 12 days to my camino, am I scared, I am bloody terrified'. Excuse the language but thats how I felt. But I went for it and now I have flown to Spain four times for three caminos (first one took two shots at it) and I would go back again tomorrow if I could even though I would miss and worry about my wife the whole time

I wish I would have had the opportunity, and taken it, when I was your age. I also believe it is a great way to introduce yourself to Spain and gain an appreciation for the people, the cultures, and the country. I say make the best of it.

Buen Camino! I know you will come to appreciate every step.

Mike

I suspect that you have generalized anxiety about the whole experience, whether for 3 months or 5 months. If you are busy with constructive activities in Spain, you should have minimal homesickness and it would make very little difference whether you plan 3 months or 5 months without seeing some of your family. It would be a shame to let this general anxiety, about maybe being more homesick, get in the way of a good experience. Don't fuel the idea of homesickness! Accept that a bit will likely occur, but that is part of growing up.

AND " generalised anxiety " applies to EVERYONE of every age.... anyone who thinks this does not apply to them about something ... well :rolleyes:.... fooling themselves ...

FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY :cool:....

Ultreia

I promise what ever choice you make, will be right for you, and for your highest and greatest good. Trust yourself!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you all so much for your strong encouragement! As of now I am planning to go ahead with my original plan to walk in July. You all have given me lots of reassurance. Ever since I decided to walk, many months ago, it has been an ebb and flow of emotions about my plans to do the camino. At times I am very confident and am overwhelmed with excitement. At others I'm frightened by all it entails- and I would assume that's normal? (I know I must sounds over dramatic with all this, but doing something like the camino just is not normal in America for somebody my age)

I am so grateful to have found this forum to help with everything. You're all so awesome! Thanks for the encouragement!

-Pete

Thank you all so much for your strong encouragement! As of now I am planning to go ahead with my original plan to walk in July. You all have given me lots of reassurance. Ever since I decided to walk, many months ago, it has been an ebb and flow of emotions about my plans to do the camino. At times I am very confident and am overwhelmed with excitement. At others I'm frightened by all it entails- and I would assume that's normal? (I know I must sounds over dramatic with all this, but doing something like the camino just is not normal in America for somebody my age)

I am so grateful to have found this forum to help with everything. You're all so awesome! Thanks for the encouragement!

-Pete
Good choice!! Life concentrating on positive, kind behavior will take you down a good path. Sprinkle in some music & you have a good life.

-Pete

Peter, Hello - the fear is utterly normal. You have two minds, the chattering one and the silent one. The chattering one is the one that desires certainty; that is afraid if it cannot control things - that is the one that is afraid - and why? Because there is no way of predicting or controlling what will happen. Going on Camino is a brand new thing, an unknown thing, a thing that cannot be controlled, so that chattering mind becomes afraid.
Now, the other mind, the silent mind, the observer of the chattering mind, the one discovered in meditative moments ... that mind is never afraid, has no desire to predict or control ..... so you just have to 'gulp!' and set out .... all will be well, All is Well - the nervousness, the fear, is completely normal - just don't let it control you now, because if you let it control you now it will control you for the rest of your life - and you really don't want that, do you ;)

Buen Camino!!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I'm contemplating a trip I put on hold years ago - before a bunch of 'life's obligations' took hold. A friend said at the time,, "If you don't go now, it'll be decades before you do it". She was right. You're in a slightly different boat perhaps if your summers will be your BUT if you can, do it. Now. There's always Skype for keeping in touch once you're at uni. I liked what one other wrote, take the trip and become a young man.....oh, just noticed all the OTHER response...i must be at least the 25th to say: "GO!!!!!!!" Buen Camino, Pete! I may be volunteering that month at an albergue as hospitalero (the guy who welcomes and takes care of the pilgrims)....lemme know your dates. If they align, I'll tell you which one to visit!

It would be really easy to be a smart ass about it but I won't. I will say this however. I work with adolescents and young adults in therapeutic wilderness programming. And I know it is really tough to be a high schooler or freshman college kid. I wouldn't want to do it again. Converesly, we are raising entire generations of entitled pansies. Grow a set, cut the apron strings and GO TO ****** SPAIN!!!!
Apologies for the expletive without advance warning.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back