• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hay fever in fall in Galicia

Lindainatl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018)
I have asthma and allergies. I am wondering how bad the allergies might be in late September-October from Sarria to SDC? I carry an inhaler and take daily asthma meds. Thanks,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are many eucalyptus stands in Galicia. The eucalyptus is a tree from the southern hemisphere and here in Israel it blooms spring, summer, fall, even into winter - a very confused tree. The pollen is prolific and tiny and a common cause of asthma. There are hundreds of different types of eucalyptus some acclimatized to the Northern Hemisphere many not, sorry, concerning Galicia I have nothing relevant on blooming, I'm a gardener not a botanist.

Howdy Pilgrim,

I have allergies, and they kick my butt sometimes, but I am happy to say that they don't effect me as much on the Camino. Depending on who you talk to, I being born in Spain supposedly helps, but I still need to pop an Allegra from time to time during allergy season when I'm over there. With that being said, I recommend you bring your allergy fighting kit, but if it does not help, there are many doctors and pharmacies on the Camino that can assist.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Howdy Pilgrim,

I have allergies, and they kick my butt sometimes, but I am happy to say that they don't effect me as much on the Camino. Depending on who you talk to, I being born in Spain supposedly helps, but I still need to pop an Allegra from time to time during allergy season when I'm over there. With that being said, I recommend you bring your allergy fighting kit, but if it does not help, there are many doctors and pharmacies on the Camino that can assist.
Many allergies and a place where they almost always speak excellent English a great help for whatever ails and even in things not pharmaceutical.

Do you know what you are allergic to? That would help you figure out if what you are allergic to will be blooming when you walk the Camino.

I am normally allergic to just about everything, I live on antihistamines. In Spain, no problems. My antihistamines normally just take the edge off, and I still sneeze, wheeze etc. First Camino, autumn, no problems, second Camino, late spring/Summer, no problems.
I guess there would be more pollen in spring/summer, and more dust in autumn.

Edited to add that the bonus of taking antihistamines all the time is that when I was bitten by bedbugs, they cleared up quickly

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Lindainatl. I also suffer from hayfever and had my worst ever attack in Galicia in June 2015. It started in one of the eucalyptus forests and took a long time to settle. Since then, I've walked three times in Galicia in September/October with no symptoms.

Hopefully you won't have any problems, but since everyone's allergies are different, there are no guarantees. As others have said, the Spanish farmacias are fantastic and most pharmacists seem to speak English. Incidentally, I've also found that the pharmacists always seem to know the best places to eat in their towns!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.