A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Hayfever

muddy-mama

Camino(s) past & future
Hi I am planning to walk the Camino frances in 2020. My first thought was to do this April/May but I have read that there is rape seed growing in some parts of the route. As I suffer from hayfever when walking near this plant it would be a great help to know where & when this plant grows, I am ok with all other plants, If it is a problem in the area in the spring I may have to change my plans to September/October. Thanks in Advance for any information you can give me.

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Look for a product called Nasalcrom which, can be used alone or in conjunction with Rx or OTC meds. I start using it about 2 weeks before going on Camino and it's been a real help! I believe there's a UK version called Rynacrom? Vividrin? Generic Name: Sodium cromoglycate or sodium cromoglicate (in UK)

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
It is EVERYWHERE on the CF; planted as a crop and in full bloom currently (April/May). If your allergic, definitely avoid the springtime

Felipe

Veteran Member
On the other side, I don't want to add insult to your injury :oops:, but they look very beautiful in the April fields...

Stroller

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2015), Frances (2016)
It is a horrible crop, even the oil is not very palatable or particularly good for some people but it is no worse for hay fever sufferers than in the UK. Your normal meds should cope with it. Having said that late August through September is a good time to walk. More sere landscape but still lovely.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hi I am planning to walk the Camino frances in 2020. My first thought was to do this April/May but I have read that there is rape seed growing in some parts of the route. As I suffer from hayfever when walking near this plant it would be a great help to know where & when this plant grows, I am ok with all other plants, If it is a problem in the area in the spring I may have to change my plans to September/October. Thanks in Advance for any information you can give me.
I'm not trivialising or dismissing in any way your hayfever but I had to laugh! I'm walking the full Via Francigena (currently crossing the length of France heading for the Swiss border) & Canola crops in flower are all I've seen for five solid weeks! Yesterday was the first day I was CFF (Canola field free). Obviously medication is a solution but if it's any consolation, the first few years I walked continental Europe I had terrible hayfever but since then, nothing. My body must have adapted to the different triggers/scents & no longer reacts. Hopefully the same will happen for you (it may take a few trails) & you can enjoy spring walking allergy free. Best wishes.
👣🌏

CatherineMcLaren

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2011, Le Puy Envelay to SJPD 2017,
El Norte (2019)
Hi I have hay fever year round. Some plants are worse than others. Have done three long distance walks. You just roll with the punches. I take a Loratadine in the am and a polarmine tab (slight sedative effect in this one). When really bad I add a nasal spray. Chat to your Doctor which is best for you. I also have baby muslin squares - one for eyes and one for nose. Nice and soft. However I do note my hay fever is far better when travelling than at home. Don’t let hay fever put you off your plans. Happy planning.

muddy-mama

Camino(s) past & future
Hi thanks for your replies. I think I will change my plans & walk September/October. I live in a farming area in the uk & there is oil seed rape planted half a mile away in any direction I try to get away for April/May most years hench thinking of doing the pilgramage at this time.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hi I have hay fever year round. Some plants are worse than others. Have done three long distance walks. You just roll with the punches. I take a Loratadine in the am and a polarmine tab (slight sedative effect in this one). When really bad I add a nasal spray. Chat to your Doctor which is best for you. I also have baby muslin squares - one for eyes and one for nose. Nice and soft. However I do note my hay fever is far better when travelling than at home. Don’t let hay fever put you off your plans. Happy planning.
I agree...my hayfever is worse at home, requiring daily medication during spring & into summer. Travelling/walking I don't need to take anything, no matter what I'm surrounded by.
Don't change your plans because of it; you may be pleasantly surprised but you won't know if you don't at least try a spring walk. By the sounds of it, you're going to suffer at home anyway so why not take a punt? I know where I'd rather be!
Good luck... & may you be sneeze-runny nose-itchy-&-watery eye-free! 😷
👣🌏

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
Seeing this I think I will go September/October I don't want to get part way & not be able to finish.
I'd encourage you not to change your plans. I have had quite troublesome hayfever only since I was 40. I'm 65 now. I use Loratadine all year round and use Prevalin nasal spray (non-drug) when on the road. It sorts our eyes in about 3 minutes. I don't understand how and I am a physician! Find something that suits you and use it. 😉

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock