• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hayfever

muddy-mama

Time of past OR future Camino
2021 CF
2022 CP coastal
Hi I am planning to walk the Camino frances in 2020. My first thought was to do this April/May but I have read that there is rape seed growing in some parts of the route. As I suffer from hayfever when walking near this plant it would be a great help to know where & when this plant grows, I am ok with all other plants, If it is a problem in the area in the spring I may have to change my plans to September/October. Thanks in Advance for any information you can give me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look for a product called Nasalcrom which, can be used alone or in conjunction with Rx or OTC meds. I start using it about 2 weeks before going on Camino and it's been a real help! I believe there's a UK version called Rynacrom? Vividrin? Generic Name: Sodium cromoglycate or sodium cromoglicate (in UK)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is EVERYWHERE on the CF; planted as a crop and in full bloom currently (April/May). If your allergic, definitely avoid the springtime

On the other side, I don't want to add insult to your injury :oops:, but they look very beautiful in the April fields...

It is a horrible crop, even the oil is not very palatable or particularly good for some people but it is no worse for hay fever sufferers than in the UK. Your normal meds should cope with it. Having said that late August through September is a good time to walk. More sere landscape but still lovely.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I am planning to walk the Camino frances in 2020. My first thought was to do this April/May but I have read that there is rape seed growing in some parts of the route. As I suffer from hayfever when walking near this plant it would be a great help to know where & when this plant grows, I am ok with all other plants, If it is a problem in the area in the spring I may have to change my plans to September/October. Thanks in Advance for any information you can give me.
I'm not trivialising or dismissing in any way your hayfever but I had to laugh! I'm walking the full Via Francigena (currently crossing the length of France heading for the Swiss border) & Canola crops in flower are all I've seen for five solid weeks! Yesterday was the first day I was CFF (Canola field free). Obviously medication is a solution but if it's any consolation, the first few years I walked continental Europe I had terrible hayfever but since then, nothing. My body must have adapted to the different triggers/scents & no longer reacts. Hopefully the same will happen for you (it may take a few trails) & you can enjoy spring walking allergy free. Best wishes.
👣🌏

Hi I have hay fever year round. Some plants are worse than others. Have done three long distance walks. You just roll with the punches. I take a Loratadine in the am and a polarmine tab (slight sedative effect in this one). When really bad I add a nasal spray. Chat to your Doctor which is best for you. I also have baby muslin squares - one for eyes and one for nose. Nice and soft. However I do note my hay fever is far better when travelling than at home. Don’t let hay fever put you off your plans. Happy planning.

Hi thanks for your replies. I think I will change my plans & walk September/October. I live in a farming area in the uk & there is oil seed rape planted half a mile away in any direction I try to get away for April/May most years hench thinking of doing the pilgramage at this time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi I have hay fever year round. Some plants are worse than others. Have done three long distance walks. You just roll with the punches. I take a Loratadine in the am and a polarmine tab (slight sedative effect in this one). When really bad I add a nasal spray. Chat to your Doctor which is best for you. I also have baby muslin squares - one for eyes and one for nose. Nice and soft. However I do note my hay fever is far better when travelling than at home. Don’t let hay fever put you off your plans. Happy planning.
I agree...my hayfever is worse at home, requiring daily medication during spring & into summer. Travelling/walking I don't need to take anything, no matter what I'm surrounded by.
Don't change your plans because of it; you may be pleasantly surprised but you won't know if you don't at least try a spring walk. By the sounds of it, you're going to suffer at home anyway so why not take a punt? I know where I'd rather be!
Good luck... & may you be sneeze-runny nose-itchy-&-watery eye-free! 😷
👣🌏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seeing this I think I will go September/October I don't want to get part way & not be able to finish.
I'd encourage you not to change your plans. I have had quite troublesome hayfever only since I was 40. I'm 65 now. I use Loratadine all year round and use Prevalin nasal spray (non-drug) when on the road. It sorts our eyes in about 3 minutes. I don't understand how and I am a physician! Find something that suits you and use it. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back