• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Hazardous Bathrooms

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
W

whariwharangi

The lights are turned on by motion sensors. The lights are on a timer. After a while the lights go out.

The worst one was while standing with my pants around my ankles and a hank of soiled toilet paper in my hand. Waving my other hand did not attract the attention of the motion sensor.

This photo was taken in one such bathroom:

Camino de Santiago 2012 565.jpg

I forget exactly in which bathroom I took this picture. It could have been one of several.

Always take your headlamp.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a bathroom at the NW corner of Praza do Obradoiro in Santiago.

Down the steps, turn left, past the police post.

The floor is extremely slick. I tweaked my knee in there. Not sure if this was the source of my woes but 5 days later I limped into Finisterre with bursistis in the knee bad enough to require going home early.

In some restrooms you have to re-push the light switch, which is nowhere near the toilet. I learned this the hard way after frantically waving my hands over my head produced no results.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another reason to take a smartphone on Camino - the torch app. Although 9% of iPhones repairs (or attempted repairs) are apparently due to a toilet dunking. They do have a tendency to fall out of pockets when pants are being lowered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Talking of torches and toilets.....please be careful when using torches or headlamps on powerful settings even 'en plain air'. Heading out of Roncevalles just before sunrise in early April I kept sweeping my head torch on a massive arch in case I missed any of the crucial Flechas (it was day two and I was still a nervous nelly). In one of my Bear Grylls 'sweeps' across some low level greenery to the side of the path I caught the reflection of a pair of very startled eyes -at the time I told myself that it was a deer-but really the height, orientation and muffled expletives all suggest I'd just 'torched' a squatting pilgrim........ Whoever you are I'm very sorry.

I was in an albergue where the lights went off in the bathroom within a minute or so of being turned on. When it turned pitch black, somebody in one of the stalls began banging away, not able to figure out where the door latch was to get out. When we got the lights back on, it turned out to be a woman who had accidentally gone in the men's room. The Camino provides some very strange experiences!

I can empathize because, although I don't remember at which albergue this happened, the lights went out while I was mid-shower... no switches within reach and waving did nada. I seem to remember that, after the initial shock wore off, and I realized that it was just one more blip on the path, I started to laugh at the absurdity of it all ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back