• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Hazardous bus stop, O Cebreiro

Anne W.

Time of past OR future Camino
Started 2018 restarting October 2022
Hi fellow walkers,
If anyone is thinking of taking a bus journey on the 3.15pm bus from
O Cebreiro to Triacastela or Sarria departing most days from the roadside please be very careful as we were waiting for the bus last Thursday in the very heavy rain the bus stopped on the other side of road which made it quite dangerous in the rain with traffic coming towards us on our left hand side to cross the road we thought the bus driver might have had the sense to pull up over beside us, so please take extra care, happy and safe camino to all
Anne W.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you were waiting on the south (village) side of the road then the bus driver would have had to cross over on to the "wrong" side of the road to stop close beside you. The boarding door of the bus would then be in the middle of the carriageway shared with oncoming traffic. Passengers would have to walk around either the front or the rear of the vehicle and well into the traffic lane to board.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the bus stopped on the other side of road which made it quite dangerous in the rain with traffic coming towards us on our left hand side to cross the road we thought the bus driver might have had the sense to pull up over beside us
I am sorry to read that you found yourselves in a dangerous situation.

However, I do not understand your warning at all.

It sounds as if you waited at the wrong bus stop in Cebreiro? I guess this is the bus that starts in the valley in Pedrafita do Cebreiro at 15:15 and then passes shortly afterwards through O Cebreiro and then onto Triacastela, Sarria etc? I would certainly not expect a bus driver to "pull over" to the other side of the road to pick up passengers who happen to stand there. THAT would be very dangerous and against traffic rules and if something were to happen to a passenger or another driver on the road, the bus driver would be responsible.

Anyway, a clearer explanation of the situation and directions would be helpful. Buen Camino!

PS: Good thing that the bus driver waited until you had crossed the road! Not all of them do this. Though not in Spain but elsewhere: I had buses drive straight past me standing at the right bus stop but not lifting my arm to signal to them to stop and to pick me up. 😇

Last edited:
Where was the official bus stop?
Hi fellow camino walkers,
As regards my post yesterday about the bus from O Cebreiro to triacastela or Sarria, that we thought might have stopped on our side of the road, your very right that we would probably have to get on by going around back of bus as door is on other side, which would have put us in just as much danger with the road, as regards official bus stop we along with others couldn't see one, but the locals said that if we wait outside Bar/Restaurant at bottom of road bus would pull up, I think a lesson learned, many thanks for your feedback Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back