• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hazards

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
“ It was said that pilgrims should not spend too much time planning their journey, for they might learn of so many hazards that they would decide not to go”. From: World without end by Frederick Forsyth.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Avoid the places with the extensive pizza-ad like menu boards for paella. It is frozen food, and you will be disappointed!!!
Ha ha. Thanks for the tip, but I was being facetious.
To me even the low end paella in Spain is good, but the best I had was in albergues where there was a communal meal and they served up the homemade stuff.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can always talk yourself out of doing something if you think about it too much.

Hmmmmmmmm? Now let me think for a while about how to reply to your post.....think,,,,,,,,,,think,,,,,,,,,,,think,,,,,,,think,,,,,,,,,,think,,,,,,,,,,think,,,,,,,,think.

There's that's better, and now that I've thought my thinking about it, I think I won't bother typing and posting this reply.;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What hazards? Things like bedbugs, blisters, getting your money stolen whilst taking a shower, food poisoning after eating at a certain restaurant in Carrion....

Well, @Margaret Butterworth - let us compare with the hazards you encounter at home in Western Australia.....
Mega, mega rich inheritors of iron ore wealth with seemingly not a drop of charity in their veins.
Probably related to Great white sharks. At premier tourist beaches. Sea-snakes. Stonefish.
Some of world's most dangerous snakes (Taipan, King Brown, Death Adder, Western Brown).
No water for hundreds of kilometers.
Bluebottles. Redbacks spiders. Blue ringed octopus. Crocodiles. Stingers.
Deep fried icecream. Tinned fruit salad.
Bushfires that engulf and kill marathon runners during competition.
Cyclones.
Asbestos dust.
Huge road trains.
Kangaroos and emus that jump in front of cars, causing horrible crashes.
Not being able to get a meal after 8pm once you are out of inner city Perth. Or a good coffee. Anywhere. I swear.
:);):D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
:D
Well, @Margaret Butterworth - let us compare with the hazards you encounter at home in Western Australia.....
Mega, mega rich inheritors of iron ore wealth with seemingly not a drop of charity in their veins.
Probably related to Great white sharks. At premier tourist beaches. Sea-snakes. Stonefish.
Some of world's most dangerous snakes (Taipan, King Brown, Death Adder, Western Brown).
Cyclones.
Asbestos dust.
Huge road trains.
Not being able to get a meal after 8pm once you are out of inner city Perth. Or a good coffee. Anywhere. I swear.
Everything you said reminded me of what I read in "A Sunburnt Country." :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:D
Everything you said reminded me of what I read in "A Sunburnt Country." :D
It is a beautiful place though. Beautiful blue water....sunshine....fresh air......cool crisp white wine....the reddest earth......the biggest trees! Can't wait to subject myself to the dangers lurking in Western Australia once again!

You can always talk yourself out of doing something if you think about it too much.

So true, so true. I am one of those persons that tends to over-think big life decisions, and my Camino was one such decision. I knew the longer my Camino planning timeline was, the greater likelihood I'd talk myself out of it. I had a six month window (leave of absence from work) and wasn't even sure I'd do the Camino during that time, just had a strong desire to do it, or some other big adventure. Did some training at home for about a month into my leave of absence, and made a snap decision to buy a plane ticket in late July, 2013 after seeing a great last minute deal. I was on a plane 4 days after deciding to do the Camino, and two days after landing in Paris I was beginning my walk over the Pyrenees!

The only hazard I feared was talking myself out of going, and thankfully I overcame that with the help of some spontaneous will power.

More on the Australia versus Spain debate:
Tapas bars are suddenly all the rage in Perth, but prices are high and portions small.
At a deli, I paid $11 for a tiny piece of queso manchego.
It is impossible to get pimientos de padron here. I have tried to grow them, but they don't like the soil!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Margaret, where did you find seeds for the pimientos de padron?....I have 2 sweet pimentos plants waiting to go in!!
Are you coming along to the WA meetup next week? Would be great to talk Tapas & all things Camino with you...:)

Hi Margaret, where did you find seeds for the pimientos de padron?....I have 2 sweet pimentos plants waiting to go in!!
Are you coming along to the WA meetup next week? Would be great to talk Tapas & all things Camino with you...:)
Seeds are not available in WA. I ordered some from a chilli farm in Devon, UK, and imported them (maybe illegally?) via my sister in Yorkshire. Hope to come to meeting next weekend.
M.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only hazard for me was getting a positive addiction to this incredible experience. I don't want to stop walking and can't wait to return next year.

Buen Camino !
Completly agree. We got an addiction to the Camino. Thinking, talking and dreaming Camino nowdays.
An torturing all friends with photos an stories from "the way" :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All I can say to the people reading this thread who are not members of this forum, or who have not yet done a Camino Frances and are contemplating doing one, is that there are no real hazards while doing it, just inconveniences. Especially if you do it during the summer and avoid the snow.

Geradcarey now he knows all about hazards on the camino, he picks em up quite natural and wears them like 'buffs' when he finds them. Behind bushes usually!
I think he was the author of that tale too, if I am not also mistaken in my information about the author?;)

Edit: Oh Yes, I nearly forgot he has other tales of hazards like tall walls and dustbins if my memory serves me well .

Cyclones.
Asbestos dust.
Huge road trains.

But otherwise very nice??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some extraordinarily beautiful places @Diefenbaker and Sandgropers (our slang for residents of Western Australia) are usually kind, tolerant, amusing and relaxed people. Just the sort we hope to meet on Camino.

But I agree. The only hazards on the Camino are universal. I really can't think of a single hazard that is specific to the Camino. Except perhaps its addictive attraction.

Don't take the risk of importing unknown pathogens into WA @Margaret Butterworth and @bimblingalong - get the seeds pasturized or quarantined - contact your local branch of the Department of Agriculture. Please. Double please. Triple please

We spend time weeding in National Parks and totally agree with you Kanga, the last thing we need is another weed in Australia.

More on the Australia versus Spain debate:
Tapas bars are suddenly all the rage in Perth, but prices are high and portions small.
At a deli, I paid $11 for a tiny piece of queso manchego.
It is impossible to get pimientos de padron here. I have tried to grow them, but they don't like the soil!

When in Melbourne visit Mo Vida Aqui , the original Mo Vida in Hosier Lane or Mo Vida Next Door ,
or
Walk the Portuguese Camino Margaret , plenty on there after Tui.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I enjoy the planning part. It makes the time between the decision to go and your actual start date go by more quickly. The details are fun to analyze and the packing and repacking changes every time. I'm not worried about the details...it's just fun to discuss them. Over and over. ;)

If anything it makes me want to leave sooner.

All I can say to the people reading this thread who are not members of this forum, or who have not yet done a Camino Frances and are contemplating doing one, is that there are no real hazards while doing it, just inconveniences. Especially if you do it during the summer and avoid the snow.

I thought the traditional wisdom was that there are greater inconveniences during the summer?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hordes of people + HOT
Yeah, it did get a bit more crowded after O'Cebreiro on both my Caminos, but never so bad I didn't have a place to sleep at night. Prior to O'Cebreiro the Camino was not crowded at all. One night I stayed in an albergue with just one other pilgrim.
The weather? Hot? Again, up to the individual. Having lived all my life in the southern US (Texas and Louisiana) and having worked and been stationed overseas in the middle east and SW Asia (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Dubai, Afghanistan) I found northern Spain during the summer to be very pleasant weather wise. Almost no humidity and it seemed the temperature never broke 32C (90F). Damn nice weather and not at all inconvenient, at least to me anyway and it got cool enough for me to break out the fleece only a handful of times in the evenings.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
> "it seemed the temperature never broke 32C (90F)"

There's the difference Mark - I consider anything over 70 hot ;-)

I went in early June previously, and although it was sometimes over 70, it was indeed a dry heat, so manageable for me.

Also, I'm certain that cycling vs. walking helps in that regard.

However, I am starting to think about September for next time, or even May - although, I suspect that the latter is far busier than the former? (composition, not calendar wise ;-)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
> "it seemed the temperature never broke 32C (90F)"

There's the difference Mark - I consider anything over 70 hot ;-)

I went in early June previously, and although it was sometimes over 70, it was indeed a dry heat, so manageable for me.

Also, I'm certain that cycling vs. walking helps in that regard.

However, I am starting to think about September for next time, or even May - although, I suspect that the latter is far busier than the former? (composition, not calendar wise ;-)
For me if I do it again it would be in May. I suspect it would possibly be a bit wetter and a wee bit cooler that month, so that may force me not to wear shorts everyday and break out the fleece a few more times.
No way would I do it during the snowy months. After having to do cold weather training in the military I swore to myself never would I volunteer to go out in that kind of weather if I didn't have to. Same with the really rainy days. Mama didn't raise no fool.

For me if I do it again it would be in May. I suspect it would possibly be a bit wetter and a wee bit cooler that month, so that may force me not to wear shorts everyday and break out the fleece a few more times.
No way would I do it during the snowy months. After having to do cold weather training in the military I swore to myself never would I volunteer to go out in that kind of weather if I didn't have to. Same with the really rainy days. Mama didn't raise no fool.

We started in early *****May***** 2008 from STJPP.
Mountain closed , Valcarlos was a very welcome stop , everyone was drenched.
Ferries from UK to Europe closed.
Albergues on rivers in the Basque all closed.
Planes on wrong runway in Asia...all dead
Storms covered the globe.
The Fall / Autumn is the best weather world wide in our opinion but i really enjoyed walking in August.
Baggage less heavy clothes , drying time when you finish is normally whilst you shower........... beer tastes better.........and Kanga better legs to look at..........[be gentle mate]
There are fewer people especially if you don't walk the 25-30 km range... its a great day.
** In the bigger towns , air conditioning a must at night , in the smaller villages with alberques......... ** don't close that bloody window .

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back