• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heading out at Easter 2017

Mckarash

A Coddiwomple expert
Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean - Belorado July 2016
St Jean - Sahagun April 14th- 29th 2017
St Jean - Lagrono July 2017
I walked some of the Camino Frances last summer 2016 from St Jean - Belorado. I had no problems and enjoyed every step. This year I'm planning to leave St Jean again and see how far i get over 18 days but I will be starting my walk on Good Friday or Easter Saturday...my instinct tells me this will be an incredibly busy time! Anyone have any experience of previous Easters? and will transport be running from Biarritz on these holidays?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't advise on transport from Biarritz, others more knowledgeable than myself will no doubt respond to that part of your question, but if you are starting from SJPDP and the Route Napoleon is open, then the demand for places to stay between SJPDP and Roncesvalles will be shared between that route and the one via Valcarlos. If, on the other hand the mountain route is closed there might be pressure for beds if you break that first stage. My understanding is that there is ample accommodation at Roncesvalles for pilgrims, and that, in any case, most Spanish pilgrims do not start from there. When I walked in 2014, Good Friday coincided with my arrival at Puente La Reina and there was a real scramble for beds in the following days but that pressure eased after the end of Semana Santa. This is only based on my own experience and on reading the comments posted by other forum members, and this is such a wonderful time in the Christian year to be in Spain. Buen Camino

Easter is a busy time I assume you will make it into Roncevallas on Easter or the day after, in any case you will see an increase of pilgrims & festivities during & after. It is fun & interesting. I was in Burgose for Easter in 2014 the only time I was turned away from an Alburgue because it was full. Very energetic time on the Camino.
Buen Camino
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I leave SJPDP on Tuesday 11-April and arrive in Pamplona on Thursday and leave on good Friday. Maybe we will meet up. Greg.

For whatever it is worth, I was able to make advance reservations every night from Lunes Santo 10-April to Domingo de la Resurrección (Easter Sunday) (Except for Roncesvalles where I assume the albergue will be open.)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Easter is a busy time I assume you will make it into Roncevallas on Easter or the day after, in any case you will see an increase of pilgrims & festivities during & after. It is fun & interesting. I was in Burgose for Easter in 2014 the only time I was turned away from an Alburgue because it was full. Very energetic time on the Camino.
Buen Camino
Keith
Go to this site for transport info http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was just about to post the very same question, currently my thinking is that maybe the Easter Saturday might be one day behind the bigger numbers that choose to start walking on Easter Friday.

Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back