• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Heading out on the Lana

econodan

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Catalan, Aragones, part of Frances, Ruta del Salavador, Primitivo, and Finisterre (2012);
Cammino San Pellegrino, Italy (2013);
Lebaniego, Vadiniense, and Invierno (July 2014)
We're jumping in for Camino #10, this time on the Lana. I'll try to post useful info we run across on the Forum, but will be mostly adding notes and pics on a personal blog (primarily for friends and family) here.

We arrived in Alicante very late last night, visited the local Pilgrim office today. Had a great chat with the gents there. Tomorrow we start walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
buen camino. I shall be following in your footsteps in April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement here. I apologize that I've not yet made time to post here on the forum. I do have some information (but mostly not the specific kind fellow pilgrims seek) on the blog. I will try to get some more here on the forum as time allows.

Brief notes... We are now three days in, and enjoying this Camino more with each day out. There are some issues with marking, mostly in cities, but nothing horrific. We are finding both the Association's large (200+ pages) pdf guide, and the brief one from Kevin O'Brien, very helpful in tandem.

It's chilly right now (zero this morning), and we've been hearing about snow further north. But as long as the weather holds we plan to keep plugging along.

Note to Jan D: We looked at some of Sara's videos during our planning stage at home (and enjoyed what we saw), but to work through the whole set to extract the key information required more time in front of a screen than either of us could afford.

Buen Camino to all

Dan

HI all,

A little update....

Thursday as we walked from Almansa to Alpera (a lovely stage through beautiful hills and countryside) Ellen started experiencing increasing pain in her left ankle. The last 5 km were very difficult for her. In the wake of our recent experience with unheated albergues we had called ahead for a room at the Hostal El Cazador in Alpera, and the people there have been extremely helpful. Friday morning her ankle was very swollen and looking bruised on the outside, and she could barely hobble. Tomas from the Hostal's restaurant gave us a ride to the clinic in town where the doctor diagnosed tendinitis and prescribed a week off her feet plus lots of ibuprofen.

In addition to the owners and staff at the Hostal, who have gone out of their way to be helpful to us, we also were fortunate to meet Pedro Antonio, who lives in Alatoz (the next town along the route) and is very active in the local Camino association.

Sadly, this year's Camino is over for us. :( I'm hoping we can return to Alpera and walk the rest of the Lana in the future.

Dan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear that your camino is (hopefully temporarily) suspended this time. And wishing Ellen a speedy recovery.

Hi Dan, thanks for the update. Feeling for you. Just looked at some of your pics - some lovely views, landscapes and experiences in such a short space of time! Hope Ellen's ankle gets better soon... are you planning on hanging around in Spain for a bit longer? Seems like it was long journey from Portland!

Hi Dan, thanks for the update. Feeling for you. Just looked at some of your pics - some lovely views, landscapes and experiences in such a short space of time! Hope Ellen's ankle gets better soon... are you planning on hanging around in Spain for a bit longer? Seems like it was long journey from Portland!

Thanks, Jan. As of last night we thought we might stick around Spain for our remaining time and just tour around by rental car. But Ellen is still so limited and in pain this morning that we decided to fly home early. I think it's a good idea to get back so her own doc can examine the ankle and confirm diagnosis and treatment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah sounds like a good idea. So disappointing though. Last year my mom flew all the way from South Africa to join me on camino, but she slipped and broke her foot while transferring flights. Tried to be philosophical and "spiritual" about it, but the truth was it really sucked ha ha... But no doubt you'll both be back on the trail in no time, best get that ankle sorted so there's no permanent damage. Thinking of you!

Thanks for all the kind words.

We bused and trained to Madrid Saturday and flew back to Oregon Monday. Ellen saw the orthopedist at home Friday, and he thinks she has a stress fracture in the tibia. Rest and ibuprofen for a while.

Looking forward to going back to the Lana to finish, one of these days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all the kind words.

We bused and trained to Madrid Saturday and flew back to Oregon Monday. Ellen saw the orthopedist at home Friday, and he thinks she has a stress fracture in the tibia. Rest and ibuprofen for a while.

Looking forward to going back to the Lana to finish, one of these days.

Wishing Ellen a speedy recovery. The Lana will be there waiting!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back