A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Heading to Lisbon!

Camino Badges

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am on my way to Lisbon (literally, I am sitting in the Philadelphia airport), not to walk, but to work. I usually am able to meet up with other forum members, and hope to be able to do that this year. But things may be more complicated this year. I will be in Lisbon for the next two weeks, so if you are going to be passing through, let’s see if we can meet up. I am busy all mornings till at least 2 or 3 pm. Is anyone going to be in Lisbon between now and May 2? Buen camino, Laurie

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
Check out these art museums in Lisbon!
I slept like a baby. I had been awake for thirty-two hours since my head had lifted off my pillow at my place in Cushing, Maine. I was unable to sleep on the overnight Iberia flight from JFK to Madrid, so I really needed the sleep going into my first day walking the Camino. In the morning, I shuffled down to the communal room where the Poet’s Inn was serving a buffet-style breakfast. There were three young women sitting at the long table, and I would later learn from talking to them that they were attending art school in London and were on a week-long holiday in Portugal. I eavesdropped on their conversation as I poured coffee from the urn and stood waiting for my sliced bread to warm up in the toaster.
“You all know how much I like modern art, and the Berardo Collection Museum is said to be a mini version of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, so I think it should be the first art museum that we visit,” said one of the women. “We would have to take a taxi, but the Belém section of Lisbon is right on the ocean’s shore, and it is a lovely section of town, just outside of the city. In addition to abstract expressionism, cubism, and surrealism, they have some wild kinetic art and op art and some of the new digital art. Just look at this list of modern heavy-weight artists, I mean Picasso, Jackson Pollock, Mondrian, Roy Lichtenstein, and everybody’s favorite crazy man, Andy Warhol.”
“Alright, Lakshmi, I also think the Berardo should definitely be on our itinerary,” said the red-haired young woman with rose-tinted glasses. “But the Chiado Museum is right here, just a short walk away, and I am so tired of traveling. While there are paintings from the modern period, I want to see the art from the late 1800s because it was done by the leading Portuguese artists of the time and the subject matter is just so Portuguese. You know, the men depicted in the paintings all have black moustaches and black beards, and the scenes are so Portuguese with the women working in the vineyards and spinning yarn. Chiado Museum is supposed to be the best collection anywhere of Portuguese art from the Romantic, Impressionist, and Modern periods.”
“I’m with Sandy; I want to go to the Chiado Museum because it’s the closest one. We can do the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum on Saturday. We can’t go back to London and explain to Professor Cotter that we missed his favorite museum! It is amazing how a super wealthy Armenian oil magnate could have amassed one of the best private collections in the world. But, you know, he had art experts like Sir Kenneth Clark advising him on what paintings to buy. I looked at the Lisbon map, and there is a metro station just down the street from the Gulbenkian,” said the tall, pretty blonde.
Just then my toast popped up. I could have listened to this conversation for a long while, as I was getting an audio tour of Lisbon’s art museums by three women who seemed to know a lot about the subject.
“The butter and marmalade are kept in that little refrigerator there,” said Sandy with the rose-colored glasses.
“Okay,” I said. “Thanks.”
“Are you Canadian then?” asked Sandy.
“No, I’m American,” I explained. I’m starting the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage today, so I’ll have to eat a big breakfast. I did the
five-hundred-mile Route Francés last year, and now it’s the Portuguese route.”

From "Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment"

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%