• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Headlamp or tiny flashlight?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Having read many of the topics there seems to be good reason to take a headlamp, it gets light late or dark early. A headlamp is hands free and a good walking light. However I have seen many complaints about headlamps shinning too brightly in the dark in alberques in the night or early mornings.

A tiny flash light would seem to be best for early risers or trips to the bathroom at night. The flash light would also be easier to find in the dark if clipped to something you have close.

Should I take both? We plan to begin in early Sept and finish up by late Oct.
Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took a headlamp and a tiny key chain type light with a red light that isn't as disturbing in the dark, that I could use if I had to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
Red and white light are probably equally disruptive when shone carelessly around an albergue. However, the red light will not ruin an individuals night adapted vision, and of course they will thank you for that as they try and get back to sleep.

I prefer a very small headlamp which I can hang around my neck. It then shines down towards the floor when I am using it, and unlike a head mounted or hand held flashlight, is much less likely to actually shine into someone's face as I go to the toilet in the middle of the night. I have carried a very small handheld in the past, but never used it.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would recommend a headlamp. Its best for doing anything. Particularly, you'll want your hands free in the bathrooms where lights are on timers.

You can put your hand over the light so it only shows between the cracks of your fingers whilst prowling around an albergue in the wee hours.

Yes, I'll want my hands free if I need to go to the bathroom at night. I could just put the flash light down?

Just checked the headlamp I have. It has a low level white light and I can position it to shine more on myself with a very low light on the floor - but changing the position of the light makes a clicking sound that would wake the dead. Only good for walking in the dark.

Red and white light are probably equally disruptive when shone carelessly around an albergue. However, the red light will not ruin an individuals night adapted vision, and of course they will thank you for that as they try and get back to sleep.

I prefer a very small headlamp which I can hang around my neck. It then shines down towards the floor when I am using it, and unlike a head mounted or hand held flashlight, is much less likely to actually shine into someone's face as I go to the toilet in the middle of the night. I have carried a very small handheld in the past, but never used it.
I was just writing about how I do the "small headlamp which I can hang around my neck. It then shines down towards the floor"-thing. Good advice

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a small headlamp with me on my first Camino and never used it as I don't hike in the dark and I think that is what they would be best used for. I had a bunk mate who nearly blinded people with hers and didn't seem to get why people were annoyed with her. I carry a tiny keychain flashlight and some people just use their phones as flashlights.

Hi, I used to carry a small headlamp with the white and red light, but not anymore because it has become wasted space and weight. As my cellphone is under my pillow anyway I switch that on. There is just enough light from it to see my way to the door. Once outside the dorm I switch the flashlight app on to use in the bathroom in case the timers go off there. I don’t leave the albergue early, or arrive late, when it is too dark to see the way, whatever the time of year and hours of daylight; what’s the point? Jill

0500 - pitch dark, headlamps flashing in beds under beds around beds and into sleepers faces everywhere, plastic bags being stuffed, stumble-thumpers all over the dormitory, and the squeaky door opening onto the fully lit toilets can put a pilgrim off albergues for life!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A head torch in your hand with your fingers over the lens will do the trick. Early mornings in spring you will be pleased you have a torch as you are finding your way out of villagers. We have felt like the Pied Piper with the amount of pilgrims following us on a dark morning.

what is the purpose of walking when you don't see around you
I agree. I love walking at first light, the day is new, the opportunities to explore life seem endless.

I promise to be very quiet, not shine a light at anyone. Take my bedding, pack and important items to the common area (or outside if need be) to rearrange and pack. I've done this for years camping with others in the tent.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I promise to be very quiet, not shine a light at anyone.

I have so much admiration for those people who can get up in the dark, gather together all their bits and pieces, carry it all outside without waking me, and set off in the dark. I will never understand why, but wow, amazing.

But thank you so much, because by the time I surface, pull out my ear plugs, take off my ipad, I mean eyepad, and wander off to the bathroom, I find I have it all to myself, yes!. Everyone has rushed off, the breakfast area is now quiet and leisurely . . . . thank goodness we are all different!

A headlamp is hands free and a good walking light. However I have seen many complaints about headlamps shinning too brightly in the dark in alberques in the night or early mornings.
A tiny flash light would seem to be best for early risers or trips to the bathroom at night. The flash light would also be easier to find in the dark if clipped to something you have close.
http://www.petzl-head-torches.co.uk/petzl_e_lite_head_torch.htm
For me it covers all the bases, and then a few.
Regards
Gerard

The best headlamp is the one that is not turned on near the albergue beds.
A tiny flashlight is much better.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've been doing caminos for years, and never needed either of them. We have a big collection of headlamps here at my house; pilgrims leave them behind because they don't use them enough to keep carrying them.

A keychain light like the following is all you really need unless you are going to walk in the dark when a headlamp will be useful:
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Photon-Micro-Light-II-LED-Personal--9046

If you do carry a headlamp bring a keychain light too. Headlamps inside end up shining in everybody's eyes unless they are held as a flashlight (and then hold your fingers over the bulb to cut down on the light.)

Yes, I'll want my hands free if I need to go to the bathroom at night. I could just put the flash light down?

Just checked the headlamp I have. It has a low level white light and I can position it to shine more on myself with a very low light on the floor - but changing the position of the light makes a clicking sound that would wake the dead. Only good for walking in the dark.

Please don't walk in the dark.
There's just no reason to leave that early.
And it's not uncommon for people to get lost.
Much of the Camino is in the countryside.
There aren't nice street lamps.
Sometimes you can't even see your hand in front of you.
It's a good way to miss arrows and walk extra steps or get hurt.
Wait until dawn.
Then you don't need either flashlight OR headlamp.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have this image of a bunch of bag rustling headlamp flashers following one another's light into the darkness of the Spanish wilderness.

In the wrong direction of course.

It might be a mean spirited image but so is causing a nuisance in the wee hours by packing up early and leaving to walk in the 'dawn's early light'.

they are also a danger to themselves and others. Several mornings in the past few months I've had to drive to Palencia in the pre-dawn darkness. The Camino is alongside the N120 highway part of the way. Pilgrims are out there in pitch dark with their little twinkly headlamps, walking across, alongside, and ON THE BERM of the national road, wearing no reflective clothing or anything that makes them visible to drivers.
They cannot see where they're going. They cannot see the beautiful scenery around them. The drivers on the road certainly can't see them. Yeah, I know "they're walking their own camino," but they're also a fatal accident waiting to happen.
And if I run over a pilgrim, it will ruin my entire day.

I have a keychain red lens light that's original purpose was for reading star maps while camping. It is tiny and the lumens adjusts up and down to increase or decrease the amount of light needed. I kept it clipped onto my sleeping bag or on a stretch bracelet on my wrist so I could find it if I needed to go to the bathroom at night. Fits in the palm of your hand and easy to keep control of the direction of the light. I bought at a national park bookstore. We never needed a light for walking. I like a head lamp for camping, but the Camino is not camping.

they are also a danger to themselves and others. Several mornings in the past few months I've had to drive to Palencia in the pre-dawn darkness. The Camino is alongside the N120 highway part of the way. Pilgrims are out there in pitch dark with their little twinkly headlamps, walking across, alongside, and ON THE BERM of the national road, wearing no reflective clothing or anything that makes them visible to drivers.
They cannot see where they're going. They cannot see the beautiful scenery around them. The drivers on the road certainly can't see them. Yeah, I know "they're walking their own camino," but they're also a fatal accident waiting to happen.
And if I run over a pilgrim, it will ruin my entire day.

Now you're getting melodramatic.

The merest suggestion of a thought about the probability of such an event likely hasn't entertained the notion of crossing the mind of any actuarian.

Its the same sort of thinking that has resulted in speed zones around schools when there is no actuarial evidence that suggests the speed zones do anything to reduce accidents involving children.

It seems to average that about one pilgrim every year does not make Santiago because they get run over by a car. You can count the numbers on the Amigos del Camino de Santiago website. It is very sad. And every person matters.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never taken more than a button flashlight that I can hold in my teeth for midnight bathroom visits. I don't walk or pack in the dark, so nothing more has ever been necessary.

I used a key chain light dim but effective. I always carry a headlamp just in case. We got stuck walking in winter when the sun went down and our small light lost its power. bought headlamp when I got home. I haven't had to use it much, but of incase of emergency I have it available.

Now you're getting melodramatic.

The merest suggestion of a thought about the probability of such an event likely hasn't entertained the notion of crossing the mind of any actuarian.

Its the same sort of thinking that has resulted in speed zones around schools when there is no actuarial evidence that suggests the speed zones do anything to reduce accidents involving children.

WTH is an actuarian? Sounds rather astrological to me.
Oh, it's an insurance numbers person! Those merry souls who place a dollar value on every possible likelihood!
They know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
And they certainly are not good judges of melodrama. Or even drama.

I repeat: Don't walk along the road in the dark, people. It's not safe. It is foolish. I cannot see you there, and I don't want to hit you with my car.

I quite like actuaries. Every year, when I look at the life expectancy tables I see that my life is getting longer. It is nice to know that when I am 100 I can look at the tables and see that I have another couple of years to go. And when I get to 101 the same thing happens. If I can still read. Or think.

All of which is not likely to happen if I walk on the road in the dark.

I repeat: Don't walk along the road in the dark, people. It's not safe. It is foolish. I cannot see you there, and I don't want to hit you with my car.
We love to walk in the dark Beks. Don't be horrid to us. We'll try to be careful and you try not to hit us.
Now you've reminded me of the father of a friend who became increasingly incensed by a cyclist who wove in and out of the stalled traffic every morning on the way to work.
After several separate servings of verbal abuse over the course of a week or so, which had no effect, he finally lost control.
As the cyclist once again cut across his bows he accelerated into him, knocked him off his bike.
He swore black and blue to the police that his foot had slipped onto the accelerator and as no harm was done to the cyclist no action was taken.
You be careful now.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Look at the Petzel elite. Sort of both a tiny light (1oz; 28g), and a headlamp. And a red light function for finding you way to the bathroom at night in the alburgue. Bright enough to walk by in the early morning (still my favorite time of day to walk, and I found absolutely necessary in the height of summer when I needed to keep the feet cool). YMMV.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems to average that about one pilgrim every year does not make Santiago because they get run over by a car. You can count the numbers on the Amigos del Camino de Santiago website. It is very sad. And every person matters.

The meaningful statistic in this thread is whether the pilgrims being run over were run over in the dark, and, in particular, along the berm of national highways.

Seems to me the accidents are usually occurring in daylight. Too often its people try to cross busy highways or in accidents caused by drivers who are driving dangerously (drunk, distracted, or too fast for conditions).

I am reminded of a near miss at Herrerias. Two drivers going too fast met up at a blind corner in a narrow road. Much swerving and screeching of brakes but fortunately no collision. I am glad I was taking the precaution of standing in a safe place whenever I heard traffic.

A USB headlamp with both red and white light functions. And a USB strong flashing bicycle strobe light to attach to the back of your pack. Some of your fellow peregrinos will hate you walking in the morning, but car driver's eyes will see that strobe way before they see you, and significantly lower the chances of being hit. You can also put DOT reflective tape on your sticks and/or bag.

My best advice is to not use any type of light at all in the albergue sleeping area. Have all you gear ready to go in the morning, grab your pack and exit the sleeping area. Sort through, adjust, inventory, etc in a lighted common area.
I suppose if by some chance you need a light to go to the toilet in the wee hours, or double check around your sleeping area before you leave to make sure you are not forgetting anything, make sure it's small, and has a red or blue filter on it.
If you are walking the Camino during the summer months, it doesn't get dark until late. No need for one at the end of the walking day, unless you plan on stopping after 7:00 pm.
I don't recommend walking in the dark. Why? You miss all the scenery. Starting early and seeing the sunrise is cool, but walking 2-3 hours in the dark in the early morning? Also, only the foolish would alongside a busy highway in the dark, especially one with blind curves. I mean if one wants to get run over, fine, but don't put the automobile driver through all that stress, and costs for repairing damaged bumpers, etc. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to wait for the police, give a statement, follow-up, missed time from work, insurance inquiries, etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A USB headlamp with both red and white light functions. And a USB strong flashing bicycle strobe light to attach to the back of your pack. Some of your fellow peregrinos will hate you walking in the morning, but car driver's eyes will see that strobe way before they see you, and significantly lower the chances of being hit. You can also put DOT reflective tape on your sticks and/or bag.

I am a Celt. My people followed the stars to Finisterre for hundreds of years. You do not see them in daylight. I have been doing camino for 14 years and gave up on albergues very swiftly from 2004 onwards because of crowds and ill manners. I use a headlamp which can switch to blink and red if necessary. I get a room whenever I can as at 79 I like my privacy. Whenever I did use albergues I have always used ear plugs and eye masks to save me from the inconsiderate. Perhaps if we went back to calling these places refugios we might change our perspective? I start walking at 4.30am when the world is asleep. I wear reflective armbands and reflective strips on my ruck to assist motorists in seeing me when I have to use the road. A little forethought and consideration can work wonders plus a little dollop of common sense! And being a pilgrim alas does not provide you with immunity from the hard facts of life and the bubble of sanctity is easily shattered by those who wouldn't see you if you were lit up like a Christmas tree! :)

Walk soft and stay safe.

Buen Camino

The malingerer.

And being a pilgrim alas does not provide you with immunity from the hard facts of life and the bubble of sanctity is easily shattered by those who wouldn't see you if you were lit up like a Christmas tree! :)
I don't share your enthusiasm for walking in the dark but that comment is about the most sensible observation I've seen in a while. Too many people have wonderful romantic notions of what walking the Camino is all about: head in the clouds but no idea of where the rest of their body is or what the rest of the world is doing around them :rolleyes:

My people followed the stars to Finisterre for hundreds of years. You do not see them in daylight.
I think it's wonderfully romantic that you are prepared to take the notion of following the stars so literally that you believe people might only have walked at night. Tell me, what happens when the night sky is obscured by cloud, and the stars can no longer be seen?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think it's wonderfully romantic that you are prepared to take the notion of following the stars so literally that you believe people might only have walked at night. Tell me, what happens when the night sky is obscured by cloud, and the stars can no longer be seen?

you ole cynic you! they obviously used the gps some smart arse flogged them on the equipment section of this forum! :) either that or they took a bearing by putting down some rocks in the direction they wanted to go in on the following day. the possibilities are endless! Don't u watch the survival programmes on the box? :) they could always have a day off for some serious r n r n quaffing of mead which I happen to be could at making! its in the blood!

Yours aye,

the malingerer.
Buen camino.

:)

When I first started hiking in Upland areas I was taught always to take 1) A Torch and 2) A whistle. You never know when things may go wrong! I would take a cheap LED headlamp with disposable batteries. The weight of the charger is surplus weight! Even if the LED torch uses a USB charger, The scrabble for AC outlets at Albergues for Tablets, Smartphones, GPS etc. may be an additional stress you may not wish to have.

You are setting out quite late in the year. Spain is actually using the CET timezone rather than the "natural" UTC/GMT timezone its longitude inhabits. So at the start of September sunrise in Santiago is around 08:00 AM by the end of October it is around 09:00 AM. Therefore the early risers and leavers will normally be clunking around with torches and these will be required to see the first waymark and to safely walk over uneven ground and alert oncoming traffic for at least half an hour before the false dawn and true dawn provide adequate light to walk safely.
Pilgrims starting in the East of Spain and travelling towards Santiago, have a sunrises three quarters of an hour earlier and by the time you are in the same Longitude of Bilbao you only a half hour advantage.

Having read many of the topics there seems to be good reason to take a headlamp, it gets light late or dark early. A headlamp is hands free and a good walking light. However I have seen many complaints about headlamps shinning too brightly in the dark in alberques in the night or early mornings.

Thank you.
So much advice! Here's what I do, I have a tiny torch safety pinned to the inside of my backpack,very useful any time of day or night. Most albergues aren't completely dark even in October. Carry a small hand held torch in preference to a headlamp which takes up space and also weighs, so for the rare occasions it would be needed you may find you can do without it.

Having read many of the topics there seems to be good reason to take a headlamp, it gets light late or dark early. A headlamp is hands free and a good walking light. However I have seen many complaints about headlamps shinning too brightly in the dark in albergues in the night or early mornings.

Thank you.
I see many replies about don't walk in the dark. I started my Camino thinking I wouldn't need a light and brought only a keychain light. I'm a light sleeper and with "lights out" at 2200 in most alburgues, and with many pilgrims moving around by 0600, I wasn't able to get back to sleep despite earplugs, so I was up and moving, usually on the trail before 0700. My Camino was Sept- mid-Oct, 2016. By the end, I was walking 1 -1 1/2 hours in the dark. I bought a headlight in Burgos that was well worth the investment. if I ever do another adventure like this, a headlamp will definitely be on my packing list. BTW, mine had 3 brightness setting for the trails and a red setting for consideration of those who were able to sleep in.

On our first 2 Camino's I had a LED flash light. We have always gone in early April, so at our usual daily start time at 6:30 AM, a flash light is necessary as it is well before sunrise.
This past year we both got head lamps which work way better. We both use trekking poles, so a head lamp allows full use of them in the early morning.
Because we are early risers, we always stay in private rooms in albergues so as not to disturb those that wish to sleep in. I know the purists say you need to stay in bunk rooms, but private rooms work best for us.
Early mornings are by far our favorite time of day in Spain. Seeing the sun rise, hearing the birds start to twitter and the odd rooster announcing day break are the best. I also have taken some of my my most memorable pictures in the early morning as well

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1468944663770.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468944663770.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 7
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I picked up a light that attacked to the bill of my hat. When I wasn't wearing my hat it could clip to my clothes or backpack in any place I chose. (backpack strap facing out or waistband pointing down at my feet for the albergue.) It was invaluable and incredibly versatile and light weight.

Thank you.

I recommend a headlamp. Very useful. At night I just used my phone (and not even the light function). That gave enough light to get to the bathroom without disturbing others. Naturally it was on silent. And every little gram helps so take nothing more than you need.

Thank you.
Head lamp. You can hold it in your hand to go to the bathroom.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are setting out quite late in the year. Spain is actually using the CET timezone rather than the "natural" UTC/GMT timezone its longitude inhabits. So at the start of September sunrise in Santiago is around 08:00 AM by the end of October it is around 09:00 AM.
As a Brit this has taken some mental adjustment when walking caminos in winter. Hospitaleros will often take a relaxed attitude towards the "leave by 8am" rule because in January and February it may still be too dark to spot the arrows easily until nearer 9am. The upside of course is that nightfall is correspondingly later. As winter days are pretty short anyway staying aware of local sunrise and sunset is all the more important.

So at the start of September sunrise in Santiago is around 08:00 AM by the end of October it is around 09:00 AM.
Ironically, at the end of October sunrise is still around 0800 - because of the end of daylight saving time that takes place on the last weekend in October :confused:. It does return slowly to be just after 0900 by December.

Last edited:
Never ever EVER EVER EVER turn on a headlamp in an alburgue in the middle of the night. EVER!

Never ever EVER EVER EVER turn on a headlamp in an alburgue in the middle of the night. EVER!
One pilgrim turned on an overhead light at 1:00 in the morning. He survived because I was up and had the light out again in seconds and because, after saying he was looking for a blanket, he shutup and went back to bed. I hope he shivered all night.

I remember one albergue that I stayed at that had lights on sensors in the hallways. The second that someone opened the door the light would come flooding in to the sleeping room. I remember needed to go to the bathroom, but waiting as long as I could so as not to disturb everyone when I opened the door.

Do you have a flashlight on your cell phone? I'd suggest getting a headlamp with multiple settings (dim, bright, red, etc) and just using your phone for a flashlight :)

Thank you.
I brought along a tiny single LED keychain light. It worked out perfectly. I could store it in the little zipper pocket on my sleeping bag so it was right nearby if I got up in the dark. It worked fine for spotting the signs heading out of town before sunrise. If you walk in the fall, you can't really avoid walking before sunrise given how far west Spain is in the time zone. I have a small headlamp but decided against bringing it. I'm not sorry I made that decision. My keychain light has a low power setting, which is what I used in alburgues when it was dark.

I brought along a tiny single LED keychain light. It worked out perfectly. I could store it in the little zipper pocket on my sleeping bag so it was right nearby if I got up in the dark. It worked fine for spotting the signs heading out of town before sunrise. If you walk in the fall, you can't really avoid walking before sunrise given how far west Spain is in the time zone. I have a small headlamp but decided against bringing it. I'm not sorry I made that decision. My keychain light has a low power setting, which is what I used in alburgues when it was dark.
I do a lot of hiking here in the mountains around the northwest and I have got used to just taking my headlamp because it can be a lifesaver at times.

Thank you.
I took a headlight and masked it with my palm in when I was indoors. Unfortunately some people didn't seem to care, it's not pleasant being woke by a light shining directly into your face as happened a few times with me. Please be considerate. Enjoy your Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
H

Thank you.
Headlamps are great for walking but not in the Albergue when one goes to toilet, too bright. Just use your phone in the Albergue or a small penlight. Good luck and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.