• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Headlamp question

peregrina2000

Staff member
I will be walking in September, as I did last year. I was very glad to have my headlamp (as sunrise is after 8 am by mid September), but I seem to have lost it between then and now.

I’m looking for a new headlamp and see that they now make some with USB rechargeable options. I would love to get some recommendations. I don’t want to lug along rechargeable batteries and a battery charger, and would prefer the USB option, but old school tripleA batteries are fine too. Opinions welcome! Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Opinions welcome!

There are AA and AAA lithium batteries that are rechargeable via very light USB cables (one end goes into the smartphone charger you are carrying anyway with four ends going into the batteries). I know of these batteries but I've not looked into them enough. These could be useful in older flashlights, headlamps, cameras, gps units, etc. They could also be inserted into a gizmo to serve as powerbank for devices such as your smartphone. At home they could also be used in your remote controls.

For an example only of the batteries and chargers see:

For an example only of a AA battery powerbank see:

Again, these are examples only. I did no research on these and I'm not recommending them. Neither do I have them anywhere on a possibly buy list. This whole thing may be expensive but possibly cheaper than buying new devices (and without a great weight hit in the backpack. If you are going to bring spare batteries you may want to store them in something more substantial than a plastic bag, especially if it keeps you from having to carry a single use powerbank.)

So, in your case Laurie, if you need AA or AAA batteries for your GPS unit you may want these batteries and, if so, you may want to buy a cheap AA or AAA battery headlamp intead of a more expensive USB rechargeable one.

Last edited:
I will be walking in September, as I did last year. I was very glad to have my headlamp (as sunrise is after 8 am by mid September), but I seem to have lost it between then and now.

I’m looking for a new headlamp and see that they now make some with USB rechargeable options. I would love to get some recommendations. I don’t want to lug along rechargeable batteries and a battery charger, and would prefer the USB option, but old school tripleA batteries are fine too. Opinions welcome! Many thanks.
I used this 4 years ago on the CF. amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNDMSLY/
I liked it a lot. " 5 Light Modes - 3 Levels of white light brightness (High/Low/Strobe) and two modes of red light (stay on/flash) illuminate up to 150ft away with the 150 lumen LEDs... Compatible with any USB port and provide up to 30 hours’ continuous lighting on a single charge." It is a little bulkier and heavier (2.86 oz) than some higher priced options, but for $20, I think it's great. ¡Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Last time I walked I bought a standard (not rechargeable) headlight, it took AA's, and it actually lasted the distance. The sales person said that it would if I wasn't completely frivolous with it, and I didn't believe him and expected to buy more.
Then I left it in my jacket pocket for about 6 months, and now it wont go at all. So maybe not a good option.

I used a very cheap Decathlon rechargeable headlamp. Worked fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I’m looking for a new headlamp and see that they now make some with USB rechargeable options. I would love to get some recommendations. I don’t want to lug along rechargeable batteries and a battery charger, and would prefer the USB option, but old school tripleA batteries are fine too. Opinions welcome! Many thanks
Oops, lost the link I was going to provide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Opinions welcome

up to 30 hours’ continuous lighting

it actually lasted the distance
A good LED wont need recharging during your Camino. I have two headlamps that are over seven years old and I have no idea what sort of battery they take because I have never needed to replace the batteries.

If you buy one that takes AA or AAA batteries then you can chuck a couple of spare batteries in your pack for little weight gain and know that you can always find these batteries in almost any store. If you lose a special charging cable then there is little hope of replacing it on Camino.

Last edited:
No, no, no....
Am likely heading into a world of trouble here but please,.... no headlamps...PLEASE !!
I'm pushing 70, wear specs and hearing aids, have walked the CF 8 times; spring, summer and fall, love to get up before sunrise and walk under the moon and stars and have NEVER needed a headlamp and, perhaps more importantly in the context of the OP's concerns, become lost, taken a wrong turn, stumbled or fallen as a result.
Like most people, my pupils dilate as they should and absorb adequate and sufficient ambient light, the same light that reveals the Way beneath my feet and the route ahead. On those few occasions when a crucial waypoint appears in the shadows, my cellphone torch is always there to shine a light.
In an Albergue, panning around a dorm with a bright headlamp at 5 in the morning, assembling the contents of a backpack that should have been prepared the night before is, in my view, as unwelcome as it is intrusive, inconsiderate and arguably selfish. Again, a cellphone torch, carefully cupped in your hand to absorb and diffuse the glare, is all you need to find those wayward socks under your bunk.
Outside, take a few moments and allow your eyes to adjust - trust yourself and take solace in the fact that for many centuries pilgrims have trodden the same paths without LED beacons or Google Maps. They have navigated the same diverse, undulating and at times confusing terrain with nothing more than their natural senses, human instinct, commitment, submission and trust in that so-very-oft-proven-maxim that 'The Camino Will Provide'.
It is perhaps unreasonable to expect these days that a pilgrim should 'take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints' in their wake....we all leave behind some form of mess or another for the locals to tidy up and dispose of - but let's not make environmentally damaging Lithium batteries one of them - hey ?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I own two models of headlamp, one with batteries, one rechargable. Both cheap ones from decathlon.
The battery model lasts significantly longer and is significantly cheaper. Batteries can be found easily on the CF. I would not bother with a rechargable.

Btw: those batteries with a charger built into them: they are crap. don't use them.

Nice not to write about walking shoes or ponchos - again.

If anyone is concerned about the etiquette of shining a light in the albergue in the early mornings or late nights, get the ones with the red/green/blue/white led's such as the Petzl Tactikka.

Where the torch really shines is in its coloured lighting modes. It features red, green and blue lighting options. Red lighting is ideal for keeping a low profile where the wavelength cannot be seen at distance. Green light is used for navigation to pick up contours on a map. While blue light is ideal for dressing game at night as it excels at identifying blood.

I'd be a bit concerned about anyone slinking along with blue light in the middle of the night though, especially if they say they are "dressing".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you buy one that takes AA or AAA batteries then you can chuck a couple of spare batteries in your pack for little weight gain and know that you can always find these batteries in almost any store.
For a flashlight or headlamp any battery can work well. I ran out of batteries made for "high tech devices" though where I couldn't find replacements in the villages for a few days. Instead of a week or weeks worth of use in my camera I sometimes couldn't get a day's use with the cheap ones that were the only ones available in the little shops. [Edit: carbon-zinc batteries.]
If you lose a special charging cable then there is little hope of replacing it on Camino.
Just to say that the charging cable I mentioned earlier for the rechargeable AA and AAA lithium batteries is special in that the octopus looking cables allow four batteries to be charged at once. If it does get lost a single cable can be found just about anywhere that will charge the batteries one at a time. [Edit: not all the batteries allow charging by cable but these would be the only ones I would want to take on a camino.]

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I went in search of a rechargeable headlamp. I baulked at the price of the prestige brands. Ended up with something that cost a tenner - Silverpoint 140 by Nordic Outdoor. Light, comfortable, tiltable, long life between charges, 3 brightness settings, plus red (for albergue dormitories!). I didn't expect it to last but although it's taken a battering and has a couple of hairline cracks, still going strong and still used a few times a week, whether it's for finding stuff in the recesses of the attic or sorting the recycling into the right bins after dark... I think they cost a bit more now, but still incredible VFM
A year or so ago someone asked me what headtorch to buy for a present and I did a lot of online research. The result from online specs and reviews was the Biolite headlamp 200. It's more expensive but the spec (inc weighing just 50g) is great. Cheers, tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unless you are starting in pitch dark and using the headlamp for several hours per day, one set of batteries should be sufficient for the trip. I would think that replacement batteries would be easy to find along the way if needed. I walked in autumn and never used my headlamp at all as I was happy to wait until at least dawn to begin as the daytime temps were quite reasonable all day.

Hi Laurie, gear, gear, marvelous gear…I take either one of these the Energizer is available at any hardware store multiple light options including red,3 AAA’s that last a long time. The fancier and slightly lighter Black Diamond also has the above qualities and are usually on sale somewhere.
The white tie is from ear loop of K95, I recycle & has so many Camino uses.
Aymarah

Attachments

• 83385BCA-A020-4445-BA2D-1B15B854F97F.jpeg
    83385BCA-A020-4445-BA2D-1B15B854F97F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • EC45576F-238D-40AD-9A4F-69396D4C21C1.jpeg
    EC45576F-238D-40AD-9A4F-69396D4C21C1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
I've been using Nitecore rechargeable headlamps for a few years now, and they've been faultless. They're very well regarded amongst ultralight backpackers, and of the two models that I have, I think that this would be most suitable for walking on the Camino outside of the winter months:

Nitecore NU25 Head Torch - 360 Lumen USB Rechargeable Headlamp – Lightweight Waterproof Head Torch with Red Light https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CMZKL52/?tag=casaivar-21

I use a slightly heavier Nitecore rechargeable headlamp with a greater capacity for winter walking and backpacking.

It also has a simple locking mechanism to make sure that it doesn't get switched on in your pack.

Cheers, Michael.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recommend a headlamp with a red light option. I agree with Tigermike that a headlamp white light bouncing around the room can disturb your sleep. Same problem happens with a flashlight. A red lamp in the room does not seem to disturb anyone. You can switch to the white light when you are outside for early morning hiking. I have used the Black Diamond Storm and Spot over the years, but have found a cheap COAST for about $20 US at Home Depot works better. Never had to change batteries on the Camino Frances, but the COAST is far easier to open than the Black Diamond models if I would have needed to change batteries. It is also far easier to manipulate with separate buttons for white and red light. I find the Black Diamond push combinations confusing after not using one for a while.

HI. I have just returned from the camino and took this lightweight Petzl rechargeable headlamp with me. Several mornings in the heat I left very early before the sun was up and it was great to have this headlamp to ensure I didn't stumble down any rocky paths. It is really lightweight and the charge lasted my entire trip.

Black diamond iota - lightweight- usb recharge - I’ve used last couple of caminos - I’d recommend it - never turned on in dorm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use a headlamp when walking at night regularly. I have used them on the Camino. Mine powers by a 3A battery. They last a long time. I carry 1 extra in case and have never changed it on the on my Caminos. I walk off season cause I don't do heat well so days are shorter so I need them for early starts. I paid $15 for mine the are off brand been using them about 7 years.

Whatever headlamp you get, please make sure it has red light capability. I have been woken by earlier risers with white lights. My petzl headlamp with red light setting, has not to my knowledge, woken anyone sleeping later than myself.

I use my iPhone. Tuck it in the waistband of my pants and it lights the whole trail.
Ron

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a black diamond spot with 3 AAA batteries on my CF last fall. Used it many mornings since sunrise isn’t until after 0800 that time of year and I enjoyed walking in the early hours. Leaving Triacastela, I missed the split due to road construction and inadvertently went via Samos (no regrets). At one point a Spaniard overtook me and I noticed how dim my light was in comparison to his, and we ended up walking together and talking all the way to Sarria. I was able to purchase new batteries at the Chinese store there.

On early morning starts by road my headlamp Petzl Tikka (which has a red and flashing-red option) goes on the back of my pack as an added safety measure. It probably wouldn’t deter the typical pre-dawn Spanish commuter; but it would give the police a chance of finding my body.

I am very happy with my lightweight USB-chargeable Petzl Bindi. It has three lighting levels of 6 / 100 / 200 lumen for white light and red light can be set on continuous or strobe mode.
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 18.08.36.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, all of which I have noted and will follow up on.

I know we’ve had the headlamp debate on many occasions and I appreciate the “no no no don’t bring one” sentiment. But I have to say that last September on the Salvador, it was a godsend on several occasions. And since the Salvador is a highly traveled camino in comparison to what I hope to walk this year, I am sticking with my headlamp. I will not drop batteries anywhere, I will not shine the light into anyone’s eyes (in fact, if I meet another pilgrim on this route, I will be ecstatic!), but I am not going to rely on the camino to provide me with guidance through solitary remote terrain. I really do understand the critical sentiment, but think it just depends on your circumstances. No one rule is good for everyone on every camino.
Whatever headlamp you get, please make sure it has red light capability. I have been woken by earlier risers with white lights.

This is very good advice, and I would definitely get that feature if I were going to be sleeping in albergues with others. There are in fact albergues on the Torres/Geira, but their yearly totals are typically in the double digit range, if that.

The white tie is from ear loop of K95
This could inspire some inventiveness - a K95 mask with the light affixed. It would be worn as a Covid mask when necessary, pushed up over the eyes to work as a eye mask to aid sleep (especially if others are flashing their lights about), and then pushed up further onto the forehead to work as a headlamp.

1. How will you be using your light?
- Do you need to see at a distance, such as for trail finding or searching for an address (narrow beam better) vs. mainly for up-close work (medium width beam, but be careful of other's eyes)?
- What's the longest time you might need to use it between battery changes/charges? Can batteries be changed easily, in the dark?
- Will you be using it around others, especially indoors when they're sleeping? (Narrow beam better, red option desirable.).
- Do you want multiple brightness levels - good for close work, preserving night vision, and extending battery life?
- Do you want the security of standard, universally available cells (AAA or AA) or can you accept the limitations of a rechargeable that might go out too soon?
- Do you need a positive means to "lock out" the light, to avoid accidental discharging when not in use? Units requiring a several second button press to turn on still can get accidentally activated when pressed against other objects in a pack.
- Do you prefer a headlamp (hands-free, but easily aimed at others' faces). Also, being positioned close to one's eyes, headlamps do a poor job of revealing smaller tripping hazards (shadows are directly behind the object where they're difficult to see) though this position is ideal for spotting reflectors - these properties are just the opposite for flashlights which typically are held away from one's face.

2. After decades of backpacking and trying all kinds of lights, I've settled on single cell AAA or AA cell LED flashlights having 3 brightness levels, the lower two levels are adequate for most of the time and the brightest level (~80-100 lumens) is good for trail finding - this type can be positively locked off with a partial twist of its end cap. In addition, consider carrying one or several simple pinch lights, including a red one for preserving dark vision and avoid blasting others' eyes. For when I might need to be hand-free, I carry a head band (from Maglite) that has a sleeve for the flashlight.

disposable cells found anywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

https://nl.knivesandtools.eu/nl/pt/-nitecore-nu25-ledhoofdlamp-zwart.htm. rechargeable. Only 32 grams. Best headlamp ever

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, no, no....
Am likely heading into a world of trouble here but please,.... no headlamps...PLEASE !!
I'm pushing 70, wear specs and hearing aids, have walked the CF 8 times; spring, summer and fall, love to get up before sunrise and walk under the moon and stars and have NEVER needed a headlamp and, perhaps more importantly in the context of the OP's concerns, become lost, taken a wrong turn, stumbled or fallen as a result.
Like most people, my pupils dilate as they should and absorb adequate and sufficient ambient light, the same light that reveals the Way beneath my feet and the route ahead. On those few occasions when a crucial waypoint appears in the shadows, my cellphone torch is always there to shine a light.
In an Albergue, panning around a dorm with a bright headlamp at 5 in the morning, assembling the contents of a backpack that should have been prepared the night before is, in my view, as unwelcome as it is intrusive, inconsiderate and arguably selfish. Again, a cellphone torch, carefully cupped in your hand to absorb and diffuse the glare, is all you need to find those wayward socks under your bunk.
Outside, take a few moments and allow your eyes to adjust - trust yourself and take solace in the fact that for many centuries pilgrims have trodden the same paths without LED beacons or Google Maps. They have navigated the same diverse, undulating and at times confusing terrain with nothing more than their natural senses, human instinct, commitment, submission and trust in that so-very-oft-proven-maxim that 'The Camino Will Provide'.
It is perhaps unreasonable to expect these days that a pilgrim should 'take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints' in their wake....we all leave behind some form of mess or another for the locals to tidy up and dispose of - but let's not make environmentally damaging Lithium batteries one of them - hey ?
Don't agree! There are many places where you need a lamp to find the Camino markings in the early morning. It is also nice to see the eyes of deer and foxes as you walk between the fields waiting for the sun. No headlamp but you carry a cell phone!!!! You need a headlamp more than a phone on the Camino.
No, no, no....

Btw: those batteries with a charger built into them: they are crap. don't use them.
Are you talking about the AA and AAA lithium batteries I mentioned in post #2 above? So far I haven't seen anything that would indicate they are that bad. If they are indeed the crappy ones please tell me what is so bad with them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi, I use a headlamp with USB it works excellent. If you buy one take one that also has a red light in it. This is very nice to use in a dorm, you can see everything but you don’t disturb other people with your light.

I navigate the house at night with the red lockscreen on my phone. On the camino (pre-phone) I used my white beam only headlamp but it was held in my hand with my fingers in front of the beam so I could let only the light I needed shine though. The real light problem was opening the door to the corridor leading to the toilets. The corridor's photocell would insist on immediately turning on the white lights instead of waiting for the door to close or turning on gradually or turning on a red light.

No, no, no....
It is perhaps unreasonable to expect these days that a pilgrim should 'take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints' in their wake....we all leave behind some form of mess or another for the locals to tidy up and dispose of - butere let's not make environmentally damaging Lithium batteries one of them - hey ?
Here here!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi there! We too, are planning to purchase USB lights and forgo batteries. We Google “best (or top)______of 2022” and then compare prices from that list to Amazon. We buy most our gear from Amazon and rely heavily on their & Google reviews. I sometimes purchase a couple, test them out, and send back the ones I don’t care for. We have not yet purchased our headlamps, however.

I suggest you go to a reputable hiking shop for options...

There are headlamps designed to project a strong but narrow beam (hiking headlamps, and there are headlamps designed to project a broad but comparatively weak beam (what I would call a campfire headlight).

I have used only a headlamp powered by AA batteries and one set of batteries did me for the full camino. In any case, they are readily replaceable just about anywhere along the camino and do not fail suddenly, allowing for timely replacement. High powered (lithium?) batteries weigh no more than lower powered batteries. USB rechargeables sound attractive but may be a case of "a solution in search of a problem"...

If you are comparing specs of headlamps - this is useful article to read https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/expert-advice/why-headlamp-claims-are-deceptive

If I were buying another headlamp (and I may have to as I cannot find my current one...), my approach would be to go to a reputable shop, seek their advice, look at reputable brands, compare specs (but believe few of the specifics) and not go for the lowest price (as in much of the world, you generally do not get what you do not pay for...).

It is also worth considering headlamps with multiple beams - a low power red light beam is very useful for discreet nocturnal toilet trips in albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you talking about the AA and AAA lithium batteries I mentioned in post #2 above? So far I haven't seen anything that would indicate they are that bad. If they are indeed the crappy ones please tell me what is so bad with them.
You have a battery with a specified size. The ones you recommended do have some form of charger inside of them so you can just plug in your cable and charge them. That comes at the cost of space usable for "battery capacity" (for lack of my english skills at the momemt). It also adds more points that can fail. So compared to a regular rechargable battery, they will, by simple rule of physics, have less capacity and will be more prone to failure. Hence, except for a very rare use case where capacity and reliability is of less issue, it makes more sense to carry a charger.

Here's what I use. Nitecore NU25. It's awesome, rechargeable and lightweight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cheap Chinese lithium rechargeable batteries have a terrible safety reputation. I use them in diving and caving equipment, I charge all mine in a fireproof box. I've not had any issues but there have been some real horror stories. One French diver recently lost his entire house from a tiny 18650 battery fire. You can buy small portable bags for charging them in but I sure as hell would not be charging lithiums in a sleeping area. They weren't really common when I walked the Frances but I'd hope albergues would have a ban on charging them in dorms now.

Anyhow... Decathlon do really good but really cheap AA & AAA headlamps. The one I've got starts on red at the first button push which is great for early starts in shared bedrooms. It's not super-high performance but it does the job, you don't need the massive bright lights that I saw people with. To be honest, I only really used mine more as a beacon when walking alongside roads. I always preferred walking without it, there was usually enough dawn light to see by even in late October.

BatteryFireCCRP8150203-1024x768.jpg

This was the result of a rechargeable lithium fire. These Chinese batteries are a massive fire risk.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Now I understand why they are banned from checked luggage. ;)
Yep. They burn incredibly fast and incredibly hot. If one went up in a bunkroom while everyone is asleep you've got a good chance of deaths. If albergues aren't banning them from sleeping areas then they should be before there is a bad incident.

Yep. They burn incredibly fast and incredibly hot. If one went up in a bunkroom while everyone is asleep you've got a good chance of deaths. If albergues aren't banning them from sleeping areas then they should be before there is a bad incident.

Tried google for "exploding head torch" and indeed there are (isolated) incidents of these going off.

Risky but so is crossing the road. One wag suggested at a push they could be used to lighting your campfire.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have a Black Diamond Storm 450 lumen. Runs on 3AAA. Which I'm very happy with. They also make rechargeable via usb lightweight ones such as Spot 400-R. I've always had a good run with Black Diamond.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, all of which I have noted and will follow up on.

I know we’ve had the headlamp debate on many occasions and I appreciate the “no no no don’t bring one” sentiment. But I have to say that last September on the Salvador, it was a godsend on several occasions. And since the Salvador is a highly traveled camino in comparison to what I hope to walk this year, I am sticking with my headlamp. I will not drop batteries anywhere, I will not shine the light into anyone’s eyes (in fact, if I meet another pilgrim on this route, I will be ecstatic!), but I am not going to rely on the camino to provide me with guidance through solitary remote terrain. I really do understand the critical sentiment, but think it just depends on your circumstances. No one rule is good for everyone on every camino.

This is very good advice, and I would definitely get that feature if I were going to be sleeping in albergues with others. There are in fact albergues on the Torres/Geira, but their yearly totals are typically in the double digit range, if that.
Just so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I have used my Petzl headlamp for many decades. Uses triple A batteries. About 20 years ago I somehow managed to break off the tiny nub where the battery cover lives, so the cover became wonky. Lamp still worked but after all these years the on/off switch is starting to get finicky. Some months back I used REI's comparison chart and found it useful to make a decision about another lamp, which turned out to be another Petzl. The chart may help you decide or think of other considerations.

I used a very cheap Decathlon rechargeable headlamp. Worked fine.
I got one from Decathlon too and it’s very light. The only thing I can complain of, is that…. It only has a circular head strap, which is what most headlamps do. My previous headlamp has 3 straps (a circular one and one that goes in the middle over the crown of your head), it was better at keeping the headlamp in place, but this one is old now and a bit heavy.

I got one from Decathlon too and it’s very light. The only thing I can complain of, is that…. It only has a circular head strap, which is what most headlamps do. My previous headlamp has 3 straps (a circular one and one that goes in the middle over the crown of your head), it was better at keeping the headlamp in place, but this one is old now and a bit heavy.
Great! I bought the cheapest one I could find. They were available all over the place with prices varying from around $3 to $8. Mine had two levels of light intensity and a flashing red light as well which was handy going down the road from Alto de pollo well before Dawn , snowing, to alert snowploughs coming up the hill. AAA batteries, widely available) Spain isn’t a third world country) but I didn’t need to buy any. Generally most days were raining and I headed off well before Dawn into the dark. I used the torch to check out arrow directions at junctions Talking of el cheapos I have seen TV news videos of surgeons in operating theatres using exactly the same head torches.

De Colores

Bogong

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That Petzl Bindi looks amazing. So much smaller and lighter than anything else, rechargeable with a micro USB. I want one even though I never use a headlamp on a camino, or anywhere else.
🤣
Yep, me too. I was contented with trusty Silverlight mentioned in post #18. Now I'm restless, pining for this cute little do-everything light . That, I guess, is the danger of reading gear threads...

I am very happy with my lightweight USB-chargeable Petzl Bindi. It has three lighting levels of 6 / 100 / 200 lumen for white light and red light can be set on continuous or strobe mode.
View attachment 129857
Long review of Bindi and many comments here.
A number of the comments compare the Bindi to other named lights. Also, I found out in the review and elsewhere that the light can be charged while in use (but not in high).

Gosh, what a lot of replies and I have to admit that I haven’t read them all. I recently bought this one - not for use on camino but to aid my nightly slug- hunt! It keeps its charge for ages. The only problem I’ve found is that my face gets bombarded by moths and other nighttime flying thingies, but I guess this might not happen in the early morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A good LED wont need recharging during your Camino. I have two headlamps that are over seven years old and I have no idea what sort of battery they take because I have never needed to replace the batteries.

If you buy one that takes AA or AAA batteries then you can chuck a couple of spare batteries in your pack for little weight gain and know that you can always find these batteries in almost any store. If you lose a special charging cable then there is little hope of replacing it on Camino.
DoughnutANZ: if you're using alkaline cells, 7 years is ample time for them to leak. They won't all leak, but I've had it happen even with cells from quality manufacturers, ruining some pricey items.

No, no, no....
I wholeheartedly agree. Always amused by those around me early in the morning that restrict their field of view to the few degrees and yards provided by headlights. Let your eyes adjust and you will be amazed how much and how far you can see. Most annoying are those with headlight that shine them at or directly around me and destroy my night vision.

Tried google for "exploding head torch" and indeed there are (isolated) incidents of these going off.

Risky but so is crossing the road. One wag suggested at a push they could be used to lighting your campfire.
I don't know about headlamps but for the batteries on their own there are plenty.

Lithium rechargeables are used heavily in underwater electronics and there have been a hell of a lot of fires. As I said above, I know one diver who lost his home and was very lucky not to have lost his life. I know another who very narrowly escaped a fire in a car when one exploded and wiped out about 30 grand's worth of gear not including the car. There are tons of others. These are not isolated incidents. They were implicated in the California dive boat fire that killed 34 people a couple of years ago. A lot of liveaboard boats have now banned them from sleeping areas and provide fireproof charging boxes. Personally, I think it's irresponsible to charge them in a bunkroom or an escape route like a hallway.

Yes, life is risky. I'd rather not lose mine because someone thought it was a good idea to charge some cheap Chinese batteries in a bunkroom with a dozen sleeping people.

DoughnutANZ: if you're using alkaline cells, 7 years is ample time for them to leak. They won't all leak, but I've had it happen even with cells from quality manufacturers, ruining some pricey items.
Hi Ken, out of curiosity I opened up that head torch today and had a look. The alkaline AAA batteries in it have a use by date of 2013 and so have got to be at least nine years old and probably more!

They are just starting to show some signs of rust and leaking but they still work fine and so I will leave them in and make a diary entry to replace them next year, unless they run out of juice before that.

HI. I have just returned from the camino and took this lightweight Petzl rechargeable headlamp with me. Several mornings in the heat I left very early before the sun was up and it was great to have this headlamp to ensure I didn't stumble down any rocky paths. It is really lightweight and the charge lasted my entire trip.
I took the Bindi on a recent GR 65 trip. No need for dark hiking but it worked well for reading in trains or dim bedsides.

Hi Ken, out of curiosity I opened up that head torch today and had a look. The alkaline AAA batteries in it have a use by date of 2013 and so have got to be at least nine years old and probably more!

They are just starting to show some signs of rust and leaking but they still work fine and so I will leave them in and make a diary entry to replace them next year, unless they run out of juice before that.
It can't tell from your last line if you're putting me on (a problem with text), but I'm taking you at your word. The chemicals that leak from alkaline cells are quite corrosive and are likely to damage the battery contacts in the device - when this happens you can try wiping them off with a cotton swab moistened with water and then burnishing the contact with a mild abrasive like a pencil eraser, but the contacts will be less reliable and may require re-burnishing from time to time. Sometimes the chemicals spread along wiring or circuit traces and enter other components like switches, which would be the end of your device. If you've caught a leaking cell before it's done damage, consider yourself fortunate. But if you're an experimentalist at heart, leave them in and observe what happens...

Laurie, we started using a headlight very similar to these posted in 2019 and just reordered new ones. When we first received them I was dubious that they would work well, but they have held up well for the price. They are lighter than the battery operated ones! When we go out early, say at 4-5am we each carry a second one, as backup. Have never needed to use the second one so far. They generate more lumens than most of the battery operated ones. I have kept it on the maximum lumen capacity 800-1000 lumens for at least 1.5 hours before noticing the brightness beginning to wane. I usually keep it at a medium brightness for most of the walking circa 500 lumens and then switch to higher in wooded paths. I am definitely pleased with mine.

These are similar to the ones we had. Ours had a motion sensor as well. The sensor is convenient if you want to quickly shut the light off. However the motion sensor takes some getting used to.

Attachments

• CDE3AAAD-83CA-4BB4-9493-80451DF6E5B7.jpeg
    CDE3AAAD-83CA-4BB4-9493-80451DF6E5B7.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 24
Cheap Chinese lithium rechargeable batteries have a terrible safety reputation. I use them in diving and caving equipment, I charge all mine in a fireproof box. I've not had any issues but there have been some real horror stories. One French diver recently lost his entire house from a tiny 18650 battery fire. You can buy small portable bags for charging them in but I sure as hell would not be charging lithiums in a sleeping area. They weren't really common when I walked the Frances but I'd hope albergues would have a ban on charging them in dorms now.

Anyhow... Decathlon do really good but really cheap AA & AAA headlamps. The one I've got starts on red at the first button push which is great for early starts in shared bedrooms. It's not super-high performance but it does the job, you don't need the massive bright lights that I saw people with. To be honest, I only really used mine more as a beacon when walking alongside roads. I always preferred walking without it, there was usually enough dawn light to see by even in late October.

Any of the lithium headlamps we have had instruct you not to to leave them plugged in overnght! When we first charge them, we do so in an area where we can keep an eye on them at home. There are typically lights on the sides of the lights that suggest how far along you are in the charging process. So far we have had no problems with them. if you use them daily,recharging goes faster as one does not typically use up the battery charge. but do not leave them unattended when. charging them.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, no, no....
Just crossed head lamp off my list. Never had one before and managed perfectly well. Seeing others with one made me think I was missing out on something.

Head lamp? So far, never during shoulder seasons. X-Light micro, always; worn on string like a pendant, always available during evenings., Good for hands free searching in pack, dimmible, it has singnal modes like strobe for safety if needed around cars, weighs 7.8 g, and easily replaceable Li coin batteries ( although I never have on a month long hike). Size the string so it will go around the hat crown and rest on the edge of your hat brim, and it will serve as a “head“ lamp. Sounds like I might have a commercial interest in it, but I don’t. I didn’t count the weight of two backup coin batteries.

€83,-
Do you have an example of your light?
I think that is put out by Photon Light. I have a red led light made by someone else but like the following Photo Light one that was really cheap but I got it back in the day when white leds were expensive. I've not seen anything similar to what I got since the white leds became cheap and the thing to get. I want another cheap one but I may need to replace mine someday and I'll probaby get this.

On the bottom of the page there is a compsrson chart showing geatures of all their similar products.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is called X-Light Micro. LRI. (Blachly, Oregon, significant for Oregonians) Black fishing line is stylish. It's one of my favorite gifts to brand new pilgrims.

View attachment 133098View attachment 133100
Yes, this is identical to the ones we have, but I bought them at Craters of the Moon National Monument as part if the "night sky" conservation movement.

I have owned Petzl headlamps and found them to be rather cheaply made and unreliable. YMMV but that was my experience.

I currently own two Fenix headlamps, and consider them much higher quality. One is a lithium-powered rechargeable with micro USB port, plenty of power and many output levels. The other uses a single AA alkaline battery, cost only half as much, and - most importantly - is substantially lighter.

In an Albergue, panning around a dorm with a bright headlamp at 5 in the morning, assembling the contents of a backpack that should have been prepared the night before is, in my view, as unwelcome as it is intrusive, inconsiderate and arguably selfish. [A] ... torch, carefully cupped in your hand to absorb and diffuse the glare, is all you need to find those wayward socks under your bunk.
I agree.

No headlamps...PLEASE !!
Like most people, my pupils dilate as they should and absorb adequate and sufficient ambient light, the same light that reveals the Way beneath my feet and the route ahead.
You’ve enjoyed walked without a headlamp, which is great: for you. Other people have different comfort levels, physical challenges, and preferences, all of which which should be respected. The maxim ‘hike your own hike’ applies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That Petzl Bindi looks amazing. So much smaller and lighter than anything else, rechargeable with a micro USB. I want one even though I never use a headlamp on a camino, or anywhere else.
🤣

I use one of those. really lightweight. 35 gms

No, no, no....
Thank you @tigermike! It escapes me why people feel obliged to carry these totally obsolete and unnecessary thingies with them. In September and an average daily walk of 5 to 7 hours, there is absolutely no need to start before 8 o'clock, enjoy a leisurely breakfast instead..

Thank you @tigermike! It escapes me why people feel obliged to carry these totally obsolete and unnecessary thingies with them. In September and an average daily walk of 5 to 7 hours, there is absolutely no need to start before 8 o'clock, enjoy a leisurely breakfast instead..

Except on the Via de la Plata out of Sevilla where afternoon temps can hit the high 30’s in September/early October. One needs to finish the day’s walk around midday or 1.00 pm so a 5 or 6 am start is not uncommon. And sunrise isn’t till 8.00 am. I ended up buying a headlamp so I wasn’t relying on my phone (awkward for longer periods and using up battery) or relying on other pilgrims with headlamps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It escapes me why people feel obliged to carry these totally obsolete and unnecessary thingies with them. In September and an average daily walk of 5 to 7 hours, there is absolutely no need to start before 8 o'clock, enjoy a leisurely breakfast instead..
Except on the Via de la Plata out of Sevilla where afternoon temps can hit the high 30’s in September/early October. One needs to finish the day’s walk around midday or 1.00 pm so a 5 or 6 am start is not uncommon.
Correcting my post: My Camino experience is very limited to the CF and (once) CN. Therefore, I should refrain from writing about things that I don't know. Thanks, Rita, for giving me a subtle lesson.

I walk early, with headtorch on the CF - I dont have the type of skin that can handle too much sun or heat, and would much rather get up early and get some kms in while its cool. I'm a morning person, and actually love that time, and wouldnt be sleeping in anyway. I never eat breakfast before walking, even at home. I prefer two small breakfasts when walking a few hours apart. I find walking with a full stomach uncomfortable.
I have walked when its really hot, arriving at midday in Santiago at 40 degrees Celsius in early June, I've never walked in a cool month.
I would never think of walking early without a headlamp.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

The headlamp was one of the items that I wished that I had NOT brought with me. I am not against using a headlamp per se. I had some and I own some. I just do not see the benefit of having the added weight in your pack for the Camino Frances anyways...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a cheap headlamp that has a red light that I use as a torch if necessary and that I strap to my roadside wrist when walking along roads before sunrise. Would not be without it.

The headlamp was one of the items that I wished that I had NOT brought with me. I am not against using a headlamp per se. I had some and I own some. I just do not see the benefit of having the added weight in your pack for the Camino Frances anyways...
A quality headlamp has a very high utility to weight ratio - eve if I didn't plan early morning walking, I would still take one just for the ability to get to the bathroom and back to the right bunk in the wee hours of the morning. That said, I would be using the red lens option in an albergue and enclose most of the lamp in my hand so that the light emitted was adequate but minimal....

Last edited:
What kind of headlamp did you carry? One of those turn of the century coal miner's helmets? :D
The one I have carried on the Camino, and while have used only occasionally was glad I had it, weighs very little (actually the weight of 3 AAA batteries as the housing and strap are so light not really measurable) and I've never used up the fresh set of batteries I put in it before I left. Really comes in handy sometimes, especially when leaving the albergue at dark. Actually a safety must IMO. I also advocate reflective tape/material on trekking poles and back of packs and for the consistent early walkers a blinking runner's strobe light (about the size of a golf ball affixes to pack, shirt whatever).

41iGB+EI+jL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 2cents worth!
I took a headlamp for the first time on the Primitivo in September!
It was only a cheap Energizer type!
To be honest, I’d probably only used it 3 times, the entire trip!
I was leaving most mornings around 7am,
It got light pretty quick, so didn’t really need it!
I think I used it once when walking through a forest trail leading out of Arzua!
This was my least favourite stage, as it was super busy being so close to Santiago, and everyone seemed to be using head torches!

It’s a personal choice, but I don’t think I’d bother next time!

What kind of headlamp did you carry? One of those turn of the century coal miner's helmets? :D
The one I have carried on the Camino, and while have used only occasionally was glad I had it, weighs very little (actually the weight of 3 AAA batteries as the housing and strap are so light not really measurable) and I've never used up the fresh set of batteries I put in it before I left. Really comes in handy sometimes, especially when leaving the albergue at dark. Actually a safety must IMO. I also advocate reflective tape/material on trekking poles and back of packs and for the consistent early walkers a blinking runner's strobe light (about the size of a golf ball affixes to pack, shirt whatever).

View attachment 140210
I have several headlamps. Nitecore NU25 and Black Diamond and a few others. They range from the ultralight to reasonable weight. All are rechargeable via the USB.

Having said that, every item that you pack adds weight. You are right, the headlamp alone does not represent weight but all the individual items do add up so why bring items that you do not really need.

If you plan on waking up at the crack of dawn, you do NOT need a headlamp.

If you want to wake up at an unreasonable hour just to irritate the other guest in the hostel or albergues so that you can start your day early then by all means bring a headlamp. Note that some albergues have rules so this may not be an option...And if you are walking several hours past sunset, then the albergues are probably closed...You are not hiking in the wilderness here but if you do plan on camping or walking somewhat early or late then a headlamp may be useful.

A quality headlamp has a very high utility to weight ratio - eve if I didn't plan early morning walking, I would still take one just for the ability to get to the bathroom and back to the right bunk in the wee hours of the morning. That said, I would be using the red lens option in an albergue and enclose most of the lamp in my hand so that the light emitted was adequate but minimal....
One of the overwhelming complaint that I heard from pilgrims was the use of headlamps by other pilgrims that stayed in albergues or pilgrims getting up at such ungodly hours that it disrupted the sleep of their fellow pilgrims - just so they could start the day a few hours earlier. It was nice of you to detail the Red Light in the Palm of your Hand to limit the light...this is considerate.

I advocate that you should try to be considerate of others and to not try to advance your agenda at the cost of others. But if you are going to get up early, be very stealthy, very stealthy. And if you want to bring a headlamp, then bring one but for the little amount time that you might potentially perhaps use one, you can probably use your phone to get by....

Having said that, there is nothing wrong to wanting to get an early start or bringing a headlamp...the main thing is to enjoy yourself. CARPE DIEM!

O
One of the overwhelming complaint that I heard from pilgrims was the use of headlamps by other pilgrims that stayed in albergues or pilgrims getting up at such ungodly hours that it disrupted the sleep of their fellow pilgrims - just so they could start the day a few hours earlier. It was nice of you to detail the Red Light in the Palm of your Hand to limit the light...this is considerate.

I advocate that you should try to be considerate of others and to not try to advance your agenda at the cost of others. But if you are going to get up early, be very stealthy, very stealthy. And if you want to bring a headlamp, then bring one but for the little amount time that you might potentially perhaps use one, you can probably use your phone to get by....

Having said that, there is nothing wrong to wanting to get an early start or bringing a headlamp...the main thing is to enjoy yourself. CARPE DIEM!
Oh @Ricardo Moretti
‘Ungodly’ and ‘just so they could start a few hours earlier’?
What is ungodly for some is divine for others. I love to start my days early no matter where I am. At the moment I naturally wake around 5.30 am to drive to the ocean for a sunrise swim along with many other early birds. It’s summer in Sydney. 😁
However I completely agree with the need to be considerate of other pilgrims whether it’s in the morning or in the evening (or the middle of the day). And the red light headlamp is a godsend. (God seems to be making their presence felt in this post 😂🙂😂 )
We all need to practice understanding and patience with others. For some it’s in the mornings; for me it’s in the evenings when other pilgrims might be chatting in the kitchen or getting ready for the next day any time after 8.30 pm when I am already tucked up in my bunk.
Buen Camino ❤️
PS. I think I mainly use my headlamp for walking - rarely in the albergue

If you plan on waking up at the crack of dawn, you do NOT need a headlamp.

If you want to wake up at an unreasonable hour just to irritate the other guest in the hostel or albergues so that you can start your day early then by all means bring a headlamp. Note that some albergues have rules so this may not be an option...And if you are walking several hours past sunset, then the albergues are probably closed...You are not hiking in the wilderness here but if you do plan on camping or walking somewhat early or late then a headlamp may be useful.

Whoops. Woke up in the wrong side of the bed? 😂. A bit more compassion and understanding please.
There are many reasons why a pilgrim would want to start their day at 6 or 7 am in September when sunrise is at 8.00 am.
And it would never be to just irritate others. Please refer to my response to your other post.
❤️😃

I last walked in October / November (sunrise heading towards 8.30 am) and carried a cheap headlamp from Decathlon that I purchased along the way.
It was totally adequate for purpose and I was grateful for its presence the times I needed it.
It’s easier to walk with a headlamp than using your phone - which I also did at times.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
O
Oh @Ricardo Moretti
‘Ungodly’ and ‘just so they could start a few hours earlier’?
What is ungodly for some is divine for others. I love to start my days early no matter where I am. At the moment I naturally wake around 5.30 am to drive to the ocean for a sunrise swim along with many other early birds. It’s summer in Sydney. 😁
However I completely agree with the need to be considerate of other pilgrims whether it’s in the morning or in the evening (or the middle of the day). And the red light headlamp is a godsend. (God seems to be making their presence felt in this post 😂🙂😂 )
We all need to practice understanding and patience with others. For some it’s in the mornings; for me it’s in the evenings when other pilgrims might be chatting in the kitchen or getting ready for the next day any time after 8.30 pm when I am already tucked up in my bunk.
Buen Camino ❤️
PS. I think I mainly use my headlamp for walking - rarely in the albergue
My following thoughts have less to do with headlamps, but with Pilgrims from overseas needing to adapt to the Spanish local time and overcoming jetlag.
In my active business life, I did a lot of traveling, and I had one principle: Never negotiate or sign any agreements within the first 36 hours after the arrival. During the adjustment process, I set myself the time of going to sleep and the morning rising, leaving in between the resting time my body is used to.
My successors thought this to be old school and ignored my rule; they promptly often spent even more time renegotiating the bad deals they did in a rush under the influence of jetlag.

Point is, that flying to Spain, rushing to SJPdP, and starting walking the next day will inevitably prolong time adjustment with the effect, that the person is more accident-prone, is continuously tired due to lack of sleep, and – by making noises and fiddling with headlamps at "ungodly hours"– being a pest to the other pilgrims in the Albergue.

For me – living in Europe close to Spain – one good reason to start my Camino rather in Pamplona instead of SJPdP, thus avoiding the jetlags of the many oversea-pilgrims.

Could this btw be why so many Spanish Peregrinos start even further along, in Sarria? 🤣🤣🤣

If you want to wake up at an unreasonable hour just to irritate the other guest in the hostel or albergues so that you can start your day early then by all means bring a headlamp.
Different people have different ideas of what is reasonable. And many people walking in the hotter months (July, August) like to get a start before dawn to reduce the amount of walking in the hottest part of the day. I'm one of those people who doesn't find that unreasonable. I'm certainly not one to assume that the only intention of those who start early is to irritate other guests.

In general, when we got up early in our summer of 2016 Camino, we packed the night before and so didn't need a headlamp in the albergue, and we didn't use a headlamp walking, preferring to let our eyes adjust and rely on night vision. A headlamp can blind you to whatever is not in the circle of light. But additional light might be necessary for pre-dawn walking if it is overcast and a new moon and tricky ground.

Whoops. Woke up in the wrong side of the bed? 😂. A bit more compassion and understanding please.
There are many reasons why a pilgrim would want to start their day at 6 or 7 am in September when sunrise is at 8.00 am.
And it would never be to just irritate others. Please refer to my response to your other post.
❤️😃
However, you would be far better letting your eyes adapt to the low light levels as it is amazing how much you can see without any artificial light except on the darkest and overcast nights. Moreover, letting your eyes adapt will allow you to see far more than the light cone of a headlight. I have often started my days long before sunrise and never used a torch or headlight. Only problem is when someone with a headlight shines it at me and takes away my night vision.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.