• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Headlamp with Red Light?

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Hello All,
I was recently out to purchase a few items for our next Camino. One of the things I purchased is a Petzl Tikka + headlamp. I have never used a headlamp while walking but it seemed like a good thing to have during those early dark mornings in the fall while on the trail during the first hour or so. The thing is, that I noticed after bringing my purchase home, that it has a red light (I was expecting it to be white but did not carefully read the package before buying it). I contemplated returning it for an exchange, if possible. Then I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience using a red headlamp on the trails. Any comments related to the advantages or disadvantages of this type of headlamp? Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't use the things myself these days but I have done in the past. The main advantages of a red light over white are that they are usually much less bright and less likely to impair your night vision for several minutes should you or someone else shine one straight in your face. Some people also believe that they are less likely to disturb sleepers in the dormitory when waved around in the pre-dawn scrum so many people enjoy before setting off. Never been convinced of that one. If you actually intend to walk in the dark and need light to navigate by without bumping into things then you really should carry a white light too.

Hello All,
I was recently out to purchase a few items for our next Camino. One of the things I purchased is a Petzl Tikka + headlamp. I have never used a headlamp while walking but it seemed like a good thing to have during those early dark mornings in the fall while on the trail during the first hour or so. The thing is, that I noticed after bringing my purchase home, that it has a red light (I was expecting it to be white but did not carefully read the package before buying it). I contemplated returning it for an exchange, if possible. Then I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience using a red headlamp on the trails. Any comments related to the advantages or disadvantages of this type of headlamp? Thanks for any ideas you might have.

I'd suggest reading the manual. My headlamp has several settings including two white and one red light. I can't see there being much demand for a headlamp that only shines red.

Red light is useful for working at night. Usually you walk at night without light. Then you use the red light to check your map and other documents needed for navigation. The red light has significantly less effect on your night vision so you can continue walking when the lights are turned off again.

Its pretty much useless for walking. The red light doesn't give enough light to see the contrast you get with white light; you're actually better off without.

Note that red lines (often used on maps to depict roads) are not visible when using red light.

It might be useful around the albergue ... its less likely to annoy people who are trying to sleep. Note this does not mean you can be careless with it because it will still annoy someone if you shine it in their face ... just like a white light.

One other thing ... you shouldn't walk the camino in the dark. Firstly, you annoy other pilgrims when you get up too early. Secondly, drivers are not likely looking to find pedestrians in the early hours ... and much of the camino is on narrow windy shared roads that don't have good visibility even in daylight. You don't need a light to walk at night; you need it for getting around the albergue ... to and from the washroom for instance. And you really do need a flashlight in washrooms where lights are on timers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use the red light only in the morning in the alberque .
Its bettertha the bright white light.

Wish you well , Peter .

A red light won't necessarily stop you waking others up if you are waving it around, but it preserves night vision. Of course, someone you wake will thank you for that. So if you are planning to walk in the early morning, if you use the red light in the albergue to get ready, you will have preserved your night vision for exiting into the dark of the morning, which could be an advantage if you are not in a well lit neighbourhood.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The usefulness of red lighting to preserve night vision and to avoid disrupting sleep has been applied for years on naval ships, which use red lighting at night in the sleeping areas and hallways leading outdoors. From personal shipboard experience, it really works! But the low powered beam on a headlamp is really only useful for reading a map or checking other documents, as mentioned above.

Better to walk without light then your eyes will quickly adjust to the low light levels. Its amazing how much you can see - also like this you can see all around you and not just the ‘cone’ of the headlight. My pet hate is walking in the morning and my night sight being ruined buy inconsiderate people with torches and headlights, especially when the shine in my face! As for using in the Albergue, please don’t! Just get prepared the night before that way you can get up and out of the sleeping area without disturbing others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to all for your replies. My husband and I have now completed two Caminos without a light (or a Smart phone with a light function). I haven't in the past nor do I intend to be one of those annoying people who get up before 7:00 and begin rustling my bags, shining a light in the faces of other pilgrims, etc. I have however found that when walking in the late fall, especially before daylight savings time changes have taken place, that is is generally too dark to walk on the trail (or indeed to find the yellow arrows leaving a town) for the first hour or so. In such situations in the past we have had to rely on others to guide us with their lights until it has been light enough to make due without a light. Hence, we thought that this time around we would pack a light (only to be used once outside the albergue). Certainly, we are not the type to be racing for a bed as we like to prepare our own meals and like to get our shopping done before siesta.

One other thing ... you shouldn't walk the camino in the dark. Firstly, you annoy other pilgrims when you get up too early. Secondly, drivers are not likely looking to find pedestrians in the early hours ... and much of the camino is on narrow windy shared roads that don't have good visibility even in daylight. You don't need a light to walk at night; you need it for getting around the albergue ... to and from the washroom for instance. And you really do need a flashlight in washrooms where lights are on timers.

Cannot disagree more, but glad there's folks that follow this idea. It makes those wonderful mornings where you start in the dark and get the chance to be on the trail as the sun makes is appearance for the day even better.

NOT REALLY QUOTING HERE. I JUST WANTED A LINK TO A GREAT POST.
@whariwharangi post above is an excellent summary. Plenty of other good posts too.

Here are some of my thoughts. When inside do not wear a headlamp, hold it like a flashlight or you are should to shine light in someone's eyes. If the light is white dim it by covering part with your fingers, spread them or close them as needed.

One advantage to having only a red LED light is that they typically only need 3 volts, white LEDs usually need 4.5 volts. This saves you one battery.

As for submarines I read in one book that the crew liked it when the captain put on red goggles. That meant that the boat was going to surface at night and while the captain was on lookout the boat could take in fresh air.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mine has both colours and I do find it useful. I always have in my head the film Das Boot when use the red one, I remember how the submarine captain used to say 'Switch to Red Light!' in a terribly fierce voice when something bad was about to happen. That's how sad I am!
That's a great movie. One of my favorites, and I have it on DVD.
Yeah, the captain was an intense dude in that movie. Left no doubt who was in charge of that ship. I think their submarine service had a 75% combat loss ratio.

When walking in hot weather I found that most everyone in the albergue rose early to beat the heat. I left Hontanas around 6 am while it was still dark and arrived at the San Anton Convent ruins just as the sun was coming up.
more convent ruins.jpg

On my first CF I did 2-3 walking in the dark type mornings, small flashlight in hand. Probably an hour before sunrise. Just thought I'd try it out, and really found no advantage to it and didn't really think it was a safe thing to do on the parts of the Camino near busy highways. That's actually a foolish thing to do.
On future Caminos I never walked in total darkness. Sure, I was up while still dark, and chilling outside the albergue while it was still dark, but not walking. First steps commenced at first hint of light and still get to see the sun rise on the path.
Subsequent Caminos I brought a very small pen light, but never used it except to do a quick sweep (red filter) of my bunk area before I left in the morning to make sure I didn't leave anything behind. Otherwise it stayed in the pack. I never organized my pack or gear in the dark, in the albergue sleeping quarters while fellow pilgrims were still in bed and don't recommend that anyone does and was puzzled when they did. I mean, why? Why inventory and organize your pack in the dark? Has anyone reading this done that and why? C'mon, one of y'all has. Fess up and fill us in on the logic as to why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd suggest reading the manual. My headlamp has several settings including two white and one red light. I can't see there being much demand for a headlamp that only shines red.

Red light is useful for working at night. Usually you walk at night without light. Then you use the red light to check your map and other documents needed for navigation. The red light has significantly less effect on your night vision so you can continue walking when the lights are turned off again.

Its pretty much useless for walking. The red light doesn't give enough light to see the contrast you get with white light; you're actually better off without.

Note that red lines (often used on maps to depict roads) are not visible when using red light.

It might be useful around the albergue ... its less likely to annoy people who are trying to sleep. Note this does not mean you can be careless with it because it will still annoy someone if you shine it in their face ... just like a white light.

Completely spot on. On every account!!!

As usual, great perspectives. One comment here-- about prepping for an early departure the night before-- got me thinking.

Can anyone share their best tips on making an early exit, with minimal disturbance to other pilgrims? Thanks!
All, or all that I stayed in, albergues have a common area or say a patio or similar, away from the sleeping quarters. There you can do whatever you like, lights on, without disturbing anyone. All you have to do is have you pack readied the evening before, wake up, move (with minimal noise) the pack and whatever you slept in (bag or bag liner) into the common area and organize there. Before I leave the albergue I would go back in to the sleeping area and quietly check where I slept to make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can anyone share their best tips on making an early exit, with minimal disturbance to other pilgrims? Thanks!

Have everything stowed away in your rucksack before sleeping, with the clothes you will be wearing near the top. That way you can get out of bed, simply pick up the rucksack and your sleeping bag and leave quietly in one smooth move. Finish dressing and any repacking well away from the dorm.

Sure by now you found that it has a white light on it. If not, cycle through the modes with the on/off switch. Holding it down to get next mode. Some have constant red or white light. Some models have strobe mode as well as constant.
Depends on which model you purchased. As stated above, read the directions for your model.

Much stated above about using the red light.

I didn't see anyone, may have missed it, mention that if using red light and trying to read a map....you may not be able to see red lines on the map. Or, read red lettering on the map.

Walking in the dark with a head light is ok...but I wouldn't do it.

Almost every albergue I have stayed in had people up at 0430, 0530, early hours in the morning. Making noise. Bruma was the worse (on the Ingles). Three guys woke everyone up. They moved chairs around int the dining room (which is open in the ceiling to the sleeping area). Made loud noises with the chairs. In and out of the door. Back and forth to the restrooms. ughhhh. No wonder I sleep in my tent or bivy...

I didn't see anyone, may have missed it, mention that if using red light and trying to read a map....you may not be able to see red lines on the map. Or, read red lettering on the map.

@whariwharangi did, see below. One reason I liked him. Not that I don't like you Marty. ;)@whariwharangi is damn good with travel directions too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can anyone share their best tips on making an early exit, with minimal disturbance to other pilgrims?

I never hit the trail early so it isn't like I actually tried this but I have an idea that may work out. Bring along a tightly woven nylon sack a bit bigger than your pack. Put your mostly packed pack in it at night with maybe just a few things on top that you may need in the morning, like socks. Close the sack tight to keep bedbugs out. In the morning open the sack, take out your stuff and then you have a big bag in which to stuff your teddy bear, sleeping bag, electronics and other stuff that you slept with for safety, etc. Now take the pack and bag outside the dormitory and pack it neatly in the common room. If there is reflective tape on the sack you can find your bunk easier at night and you can drape the sack over your pack when you walk in the dark. The sack might also be handy for shopping. Oh, yes, nylon, not plastic, so you don't make as much noise.

Last edited:
As usual, great perspectives. One comment here-- about prepping for an early departure the night before-- got me thinking.

Join athletics anonymous. When the urge to do something athletic such as planning to get up at some cow-milking hour ... phone up a buddy who will come over and drink beer with you until the urge passes away.

No need to overthink on this one ... stay in bed till its time.

@whariwharangi did, see below. One reason I liked him. Not that I don't like you Marty. ;)@whariwharangi is damn good with travel directions too!

mmmm missed that post re red light and reading a map with red lines/writing. sorry

Darn, Rick and Peg, thought you guys loved me. Last time I saw you was in SJDP 2015? I walked Frances with Linda, Chris and Ushi. Believe saw you guys a few places along the Camino. Hope you are doing well and see you on one of the Caminos soon.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello All,
I have one that has a white light on the front and red light at the back. May I suggest checking to see if your has a Red/White option - slide from one to the other. I have walked behind a walker who had a red (or maybe amber) light and whilst softer on the eyes (you retained a degree of night vision) it did not really provide the definition I preferred (BTW this was climbing Mt Kilimanjaro). Cheers

As long as you practice how to use it before you head out to sleep with others :p, then by all means. It's no worse than the dude in your double bunk watching Terminator on his tablet rigged from the upper bunk's railings. :D

Hello All,
I was recently out to purchase a few items for our next Camino. One of the things I purchased is a Petzl Tikka + headlamp. I have never used a headlamp while walking but it seemed like a good thing to have during those early dark mornings in the fall while on the trail during the first hour or so. The thing is, that I noticed after bringing my purchase home, that it has a red light (I was expecting it to be white but did not carefully read the package before buying it). I contemplated returning it for an exchange, if possible. Then I thought I would ask if anyone has any experience using a red headlamp on the trails.

I think you'll be able to switch between red and white. Hope it serves you well!

tikka+.png tikka+.png tikka+.png

http://www.hireit.co/downloads/instruction-manuals/index

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lights out, means lights out, this also includes the early mornings ,if you cannot get up in the dark without lights stay in bed until it gets light. also if you must plug your electronics in over night cover up the charging indicator lights.
Lights of any kind will wake people up ,that why you can now buy Alarm Clocks that project lights onto bedroom ceilings.
As for "dude in your double bunk watching Terminator" advise him politely that unless he turns it off you will have him Terminated ( Ejected from the Albergue )
Respect the dark, some people need to cop on.
Even on the shortest days of the year you will have 8 hours of daylight to walk ,and if your are that worried about not getting a bed that you have to walk in the dark, book ahead.
8hrs at 3km per hour is still 24km which is reasonable even for a slow walker.

I work in civil engineering in the UK. We can only get out to "play" on the motorways at night and are issued with headlights that fit over our site helmets; white light to the front, red to the back. They also flash.
One constant problem we encounter is somebody turning around to speak to you and blinding you with an intense LED light beam.
I doubt the value of walking in the dark unless it's at the height of summer and you want to avoid extreme heat. Even that rasies a different problem - you arrive at your destination far too early.
Working at Rabanal we had a rule of clearing out the night's guests by 8.30 only to have newcomers arriving from Astorga at 10! (It WAS a hot July but, seriously!)
Taking things to the rediculous why not just walk all night long and take cover in the daytime?

Hello All,

You dont need headlamp

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
... One of the things I purchased is a Petzl Tikka + headlamp.. it has a red light....
My Tikka has a fold over red filter. It is white unless I flip the red filter over the white light. Check to see if yours is a similar model that has the red filter, used to reduce the sensitivity to dark, or as a signal light.

red light + yellow arrows = trouble.
(really poor contrast)
IMHO

I have a light that clips onto the brim of a cap, and has one red- and two white-light options. It uses two AAA batteries and needs a stiff-brimmed hat or cap; won't work well on a Tilley or other soft-brimmed hat. I took it along on our recent trip through central Europe; paired with my baseball cap it did great. Also works well as a hand-held, btw.

I've had it for nearly a decade now, and in fact forgot about it until I was prepping for the recent trip. I originally bought it to use when stargazing with a friend who has a very-very-large [read as "super-expensive"] astronomical telescope, and who tends to get really p*ssed-off at anyone using a white light nearby. :eek::confused:

It's an Energizer-brand item, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello All,
Linda-
Hold the button down and you have white, and you have flashing. Holding the button down controls the mode. I also have a headlamp by Petzl. If yours takes the "Core" adapter, you could also dispense with batteries and recharge it using your same cell phone charger. You will like using it and having the modes. You only need red if you're doing night photography and you don't want to ruin your night vision while looking at your camera settings. I rarely use the red mode.
I hope this helps!
Buen Camino!
Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello All,
I have that headlamp and you'll probably be glad to find out it does both red and white. If you hold the button down while it is in either mode for a couple of seconds it will switch to the other. a short press of the button will cycle through your selected color scheme while another long press will switch modes again. takes a bit of putzing with to get used to but once you do it works like a charm...buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.