• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heads up for walking in early October — Día de la Hispanidad

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just had an ah-ha moment when I understood why it was that a forum member had real trouble finding a place to stay in Las Médulas on Saturday October 9. This year the Día de la Hispanidad (formerly known as Columbus Day) falls on Tuesday, Oct. 12. That makes for the uniquely Spanish tradition of a “puente” (bridge/long weekend). If Tuesday is a holiday, why work on Monday?!

Anyone looking for a place to stay over that four day period may have difficulties, so it might be a good idea to look for reservations if that is something that works for you.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just had an ah-ha moment when I understood why it was that a forum member had real trouble finding a place to stay in Las Médulas on Saturday October 9. This year the Día de la Hispanidad (formerly known as Columbus Day) falls on Tuesday, Oct. 12. That makes for the uniquely Spanish tradition of a “puente” (bridge/long weekend). If Tuesday is a holiday, why work on Monday?!

Anyone looking for a place to stay over that four day period may have difficulties, so it might be a good idea to look for reservations if that is something that works for you.

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie,
A similar situation will occur here in France on Monday, 1 November.

This is Toussaint, the day after Halloween. It is a catholic holy day and in France a public holiday when families visit cemeteries to honour their deceased relatives. Chrysanthemums are widely sold to decorate the tombs. Much will be closed.

Last edited:
I had a national day experience in IIRC 2013 walking toward Riego de Ambros and ended up with a series of informal accommodation arrangements in (successively) a closed-but-open-that-night casa rural, a comfortable room above a doctor's garage, and a 5th floor walk-up pension which I shared with three very heavy-drinking Japanese pilgrims (one found early in the morning asleep in the bathtub, making cleaning up easier). @peregrina2000's advice to book should be heeded as All of Spain is on the move that weekend.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen camino, Laurie
This holiday is why I have to wait an extra day to start walking the VDLP. I arrive the night of the 11th. Need to go to Decathlon or another store to pick up poles and probably get a small sleeping bag. I would imagine everything is closed on the 12th. So have to run my errands on the 13th and start the 14th.

In 2015 in my pre Camino days I took a two week Spanish course in Barcelona. My flight home departed from Madrid, where I planned to spend 2-3 nights. At the time my son worked for Hotel Tonight, a "last minute" hotel booking company, and I planned to use it to book my Madrid hotel. My proposed time in Madrid coincided with the October 12th holiday, and I was shocked at the hotel prices! Hostel beds were going for 100 euros a night. Luckily my home stay host in Barcelona let me spend a couple of additional nights at her place, and I was able to find an inexpensive hostal in Madrid for the night before my flight!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks so much for info. I’m on Camino now and wiil be back on Santiago Oct 9

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back