• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heal Spurs and Micro Tears and more Oh my !

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
9090DFCE-A364-4BE2-A13F-E3FE65CAE9F7.jpegWell fellow pilgrims As some of you know shortly after returning home from my first camino in April/May I arrived home and quickly came down with a horrible bout of the flu šŸ¤’ šŸ˜· . I unfortunately lost my voice for six months... hmm thatā€™s a long story but suffice it to say I had some long standing injuries and mystery ailments from my 21 years in the military. Chronic Lyrangitic is one of them. But donā€™t feel sorry for me just yet. If you have read my post camino journey you know I am not one to give up easily or wallow too long in self pity.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...cyborg-turtle-with-post-camino-summary.57400/

Shortly after the start of the flu I was given a full dose of strong steroid treatment then I noticed that my right foot, feeling jealousy from all the attention that my left knee ā€œaka cyborg turtleā€ received during the camino Frances. Ugggg tut-tut-taaaa- šŸŽ¼ queue the dramatic music .... a heel spur šŸ˜³....800km I get home and now this. Aaah hum yes Iā€™m greatful because it could have been much worse i could have drowned in my own drool šŸ¤¤ (come on that was a good flu joke )šŸ˜

Xrays, custom orthotics, prodded, probed (stop laughing) and another strong set of steroids šŸ™„šŸ¤¢ šŸ„“ I am doing my best staying off my feet I am now back to my sedentary, half-humanly state. I attempt to see the doctor again with massive failure having my appointment cancelled 2 times. Months go by ..my youth flashed before my eyes ...I realized not only am I getting older by the minute but really I must do something aggressive. So I physically hobble to the doctorā€™s office to complain. All who have dealt with the VA be aware this is not an easy feet ...hahah get the pun....feet lol. I meant feat. Donā€™t stop me now I am on a roll ...

Short story..yes I got an appointment 27 November ..urrrrg I got a cortisone injection ....warning...given exercises to do at home..offered physical therapy.
Long story ... 2 days go by pain 3, 4, 10, 15, 20 , 30, šŸ˜± PAIN. PAIN UNBEARABLE now af course it didn't work ...am I surprised? No, not really ... oh did I mention its 7 January and I still havent seen the physical therapist oh...hmmm forget I mentioned it because they seem to have forgotten it too. šŸ™„

FAST FORWARD: Week before Christmas went to my doctor first then she sent me 1 hr away to the emergency room.....remember folks itā€™s my right foot. .šŸš˜Me on crutches, canā€™t walk šŸ˜±...live alone no one to drive me.

FLASHBACK: The week before I walked 10 miles no pack. Why because I was tired of staying home...feet hurt but I stretched and felt ok.decided to give it a go. But mistake number 1. walked in their custom orthotics ..yeah they are in the trash, ..big huge gigantic mistake .., now mistake number 2 was walking on trail concrete. See my picture bellow with the rosy Florida sun burn cheeks NOTE TO SELF...stick to the Superfeet insoles and sunscreen .

Now back to the emergency room. More Xrays poking and prodding....a surprisingly short and pleasant experience in the Emergency room, the Podiatrist on call said...you have several Microtears in your arch, you have unusually high arches they are really tight and you should not have been given that cortisone injection (Shocker!) , Invest in Birkenstockā€™s or other shoes with high arches, we will wait for the cortisone to wear off and give you a Plasma injection using your own blood in February.....thatā€™ some mad scientist stuff about spinning my own blood and extracting the Plasma can they really do that? šŸ˜³). booo...hahah-haha. yes apparantely they can. further instructions include sticking to the Superfeet insoles. Whew!šŸ‘šŸ¼ Well thank goodness for that! ...oh and by the way ...do these other stretches 10X per-day and ice bottle rolls etc etc.....

Yes Iā€™m still on crutches šŸ˜­ and I cannot train but Iā€™m NOT sweating it because I AM AND WILL BE walking the Del Norte In March 2019 might even add in the piece in the bigenning from St Jean to Irun and the piece in the end to Ferrol to Santiago . So you see you donā€™t need to feel sorry for me just yet. My neighbor made me a new patch and my backpack will have the forum patch on it so I hope to see you. Just look for the Jamaican girl with the fancy metalbrace on the left leg. Dancing up and down the hills of Spain to the šŸŽ¼ of whatever is on my playlist including Chopin, Queen, Green Day, Boston, old soul, new soul, new rock, Reggae , etc...Etc....and a few audio books thrown in for good measure . if you see me...donā€™t stare. just join me.. And yes I actually dance thru the pain. At at night I may look like Frankenstein hooked up to my electrical Stim unit (TENS) but hey thats life...it works for me.šŸ™‚

Pain is power my friends. And there will always be pain in your life wheather physical or emotional. Myself and the Cyborg turtle are focused on the task ahead. Planning and mitigating....with no specific plan . Expect pain and there will be no pain, expect difficulty and there will be no difficulty. Plan and have no plans. And just Be (in the moment) because I already am .

Moral: Donā€™t let anyone tell you canā€™t not even yourself!

Thanks Camino friends and Forum members I am with you @davebugg
Buen Camino in 2019 and see you all soon.
More to come in the next couple months ....lists and preferences and hopefully a fully functioning blog since I have nothing better to do with my time. Lol. Canā€™t walk......Write!
All others Keep walking ...one foot in front of the other

Update Addition: Help with the pain (no commercial affiliation recommend you see a medical professional)) :

Attachments

• 5B761C15-4CED-479F-B47D-6107854C4563.jpeg
    5B761C15-4CED-479F-B47D-6107854C4563.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • 7D51A06D-2EAC-4264-B898-25783EF9140C.jpeg
    7D51A06D-2EAC-4264-B898-25783EF9140C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Iriebabel. Your style in writing overshadows the unpleasant situation you are experiencing ....... you wrote "do not bring sorrow for me" and so I will do it but I advise you to do your programs well. Yes, here you have to do a program because it's your future. If it will not be in March 2019 it will be at another time. I'm sure.
Happy New Year:)

Hi Iriebabel. Your style in writing overshadows the unpleasant situation you are experiencing ....... you wrote "do not bring sorrow for me" and so I will do it but I advise you to do your programs well. Yes, here you have to do a program because it's your future. If it will not be in March 2019 it will be at another time. I'm sure.
Happy New Year:)
šŸ˜. oh yes thank you Happy 2019 to you too ! It will definately be in March 2019 Tickets are bought...it might be a slow start but it will have a Wonderful middle and a fantastic Finish! ..... planning will involve shorter days and mitigation is key...motto is always. slow down but Donā€™t stop!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happy New Year Iriebabel.
Nice to read about your "misery" written in such a way... that I can conclude that you are a very optimistic person!šŸ˜‰
Keep up the good spiritšŸ‘
Carpe Diem šŸ˜Ž
šŸŒž Buen Camino šŸŒž

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy New Year Iriebabel.
Nice to read about your "misery" written in such a way... that I can conclude that you are a very optimistic person!šŸ˜‰
Keep up the good spiritšŸ‘
Carpe Diem šŸ˜Ž
šŸŒž Buen Camino šŸŒž
Thanks @willydp Happy New Year to you! The sunšŸŒ will always rise tomorrow even if I am blind and cannot see it sometimes I can always feel it on my face.šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Ž.

Iā€™m trying to convince my self that ā€œmiseryā€ is my truoblemake great aunt who makes that unwanted vist evey once in a while and I am ashamed that I am happy and elated when she leaves. šŸ˜³

Last edited:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Love your story!! I'm still waiting to go and visit my orthopedic doc post Camino! I had a month of PT prior to my last Camino and would come home black and blue. It took two rounds before they finally got my inserts right :rolleyes:. Then I had to try and be a compliant patient. So I never did walk on the treadmill set at an incline. I walked the Primitivo instead ;). And it was all good! Nice to know I'm not the only one doing "crazy" stuff :)

Love your story!! I'm still waiting to go and visit my orthopedic doc post Camino! I had a month of PT prior to my last Camino and would come home black and blue. It took two rounds before they finally got my inserts right :rolleyes:. Then I had to try and be a compliant patient. So I never did walk on the treadmill set at an incline. I walked the Primitivo instead ;). And it was all good! Nice to know I'm not the only one doing "crazy" stuff :)
Hahah thanks .. its not crazy šŸ˜œitā€™s what works for us. It is good to know you survived the Primitivo ksam and I hope you get to see the Ortho eventually and get some relief. Sometimes we know our bodies better and we must try to push on at the very least slowly until the issue is resolved. Quitting is not an option.

When I got to the ER it was nice to know that I was right about my Superfeet insoles and I quickly threw away the other ones. I should have trusted my instincts. I just ordered the Orange Superfeet insoles from Amazon. They are softer than the green ones but built for higher impact, long distance and higher arches..so I will try those after I get my Plasma injection. Good luck to us both !

Last edited:
View attachment 50515Well fellow pilgrims As some of you know shortly after returning home from my first camino in April/May I arrived home and quickly came down with a horrible bout of the flu šŸ¤’ šŸ˜· . I unfortunately lost my voice for six months... hmm thatā€™s a long story but suffice it to say I had some long standing injuries and mystery ailments from my 21 years in the military. Chronic Lyrangitic is one of them. But donā€™t feel sorry for me just yet. If you have read my post camino journey you know I am not one to give up easily or wallow too long in self pity.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...cyborg-turtle-with-post-camino-summary.57400/

Shortly after the start of the flu I was given a full dose of strong steroid treatment then I noticed that my right foot, feeling jealousy from all the attention that my left knee ā€œaka cyborg turtleā€ received during the camino Frances. Ugggg tut-tut-taaaa- šŸŽ¼ queue the dramatic music .... a heel spur šŸ˜³....800km I get home and now this. Aaah hum yes Iā€™m greatful because it could have been much worse i could have drowned in my own drool šŸ¤¤ (come on that was a good flu joke )šŸ˜

Xrays, custom orthotics, prodded, probed (stop laughing) and another strong set of steroids šŸ™„šŸ¤¢ šŸ„“ I am doing my best staying off my feet I am now back to my sedentary, half-humanly state. I attempt to see the doctor again with massive failure having my appointment cancelled 2 times. Months go by ..my youth flashed before my eyes ...I realized not only am I getting older by the minute but really I must do something aggressive. So I physically hobble to the doctorā€™s office to complain. All who have dealt with the VA be aware this is not an easy feet ...hahah get the pun....feet lol. I meant feat. Donā€™t stop me now I am on a roll ...

Short story..yes I got an appointment 27 November ..urrrrg I got a cortisone injection ....warning...given exercises to do at home..offered physical therapy.
Long story ... 2 days go by pain 3, 4, 10, 15, 20 , 30, šŸ˜± PAIN. PAIN UNBEARABLE now af course it didn't work ...am I surprised? No, not really ... oh did I mention its 7 January and I still havent seen the physical therapist oh...hmmm forget I mentioned it because they seem to have forgotten it too. šŸ™„

FAST FORWARD: Week before Christmas went to my doctor first then she sent me 1 hr away to the emergency room.....remember folks itā€™s my right foot. .šŸš˜Me on crutches, canā€™t walk šŸ˜±...live alone no one to drive me.

FLASHBACK: The week before I walked 10 miles no pack. Why because I was tired of staying home...feet hurt but I stretched and felt ok.decided to give it a go. But mistake number 1. walked in their custom orthotics ..yeah they are in the trash, ..big huge gigantic mistake .., now mistake number 2 was walking on trail concrete. See my picture bellow with the rosy Florida sun burn cheeks NOTE TO SELF...stick to the Superfeet insoles and sunscreen .

Now back to the emergency room. More Xrays poking and prodding....a surprisingly short and pleasant experience in the Emergency room, the Podiatrist on call said...you have several Microtears in your arch, you have unusually high arches they are really tight and you should not have been given that cortisone injection (Shocker!) , Invest in Birkenstockā€™s or other shoes with high arches, we will wait for the cortisone to wear off and give you a Plasma injection using your own blood in February.....thatā€™ some mad scientist stuff about spinning my own blood and extracting the Plasma can they really do that? šŸ˜³). booo...hahah-haha. yes apparantely they can. further instructions include sticking to the Superfeet insoles. Whew!šŸ‘šŸ¼ Well thank goodness for that! ...oh and by the way ...do these other stretches 10X per-day and ice bottle rolls etc etc.....

Yes Iā€™m still on crutches šŸ˜­ and I cannot train but Iā€™m NOT sweating it because I AM AND WILL BE walking the Del Norte In March 2019 might even add in the piece in the bigenning from St Jean to Irun and the piece in the end to Ferrol to Santiago . So you see you donā€™t need to feel sorry for me just yet. My neighbor made me a new patch and my backpack will have the forum patch on it so I hope to see you. Just look for the Jamaican girl with the fancy metalbrace on the left leg. Dancing up and down the hills of Spain to the šŸŽ¼ of whatever is on my playlist including Chopin, Queen, Green Day, Boston, old soul, new soul, new rock, Reggae , etc...Etc....and a few audio books thrown in for good measure . if you see me...donā€™t stare. just join me.. And yes I actually dance thru the pain. At at night I may look like Frankenstein hooked up to my electrical Stim unit (TENS) but hey thats life...it works for me.šŸ™‚

Pain is power my friends. And there will always be pain in your life wheather physical or emotional. Myself and the Cyborg turtle are focused on the task ahead. Planning and mitigating....with no specific plan . Expect pain and there will be no pain, expect difficulty and there will be no difficulty. Plan and have no plans. And just Be (in the moment) because I already am .

Moral: Donā€™t let anyone tell you canā€™t not even yourself!

Thanks Camino friends and Forum members I am with you @davebugg
Buen Camino in 2019 and see you all soon.
More to come in the next couple months ....lists and preferences and hopefully a fully functioning blog since I have nothing better to do with my time. Lol. Canā€™t walk......Write!
All others Keep walking ...one foot in front of the other

Update Addition: Help with the pain (no commercial affiliation recommend you see a medical professional)) :
How do we get those lovely CDN patches?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How do we get those lovely CDN patches?
My neighbor made them for me. I designed what I wanted...she does embroidery as a hobby. Go to your local tailor or t-shirt shop that does embroidery. Show them a picture of what you want. They can usually do it in a day...should not cost too much. But if you are very nice...I can have my neighbor make a couple extra...šŸ˜Š PM my inbox

I suffer from neuropathy in my right foot. It goes from severe to acceptable. I have been walking various Caminos for 5 years dealing with this condition. You will be just fine.
Welcome to the President's bone spur club, it doesn't seem affect anything but critical thinking.

I suffer from neuropathy in my right foot. It goes from severe to acceptable. I have been walking various Caminos for 5 years dealing with this condition. You will be just fine.
Welcome to the President's bone spur club, it doesn't seem affect anything but critical thinking.
Hahahahah thanks @biarritzdon you are right. It may slow us down but will never stop us! I will tell you how this mad scientist plasma injection thing works out..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My neighbor made them for me. I designed what I wanted...she does embroidery as a hobby. Go to your local tailor or t-shirt shop that does embroidery. Show them a picture of what you want. They can usually do it in a day...should not cost too much. But if you are very nice...I can have my neighbor make a couple extra...šŸ˜Š PM my inbox

You guys did a nice job šŸ˜ƒ

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck with the procedure Iriebabel. I love your writing and appreciate your encouragement and wisdom.
:) You are too kind. I will keep you updated and let you know when I get my blog up and running. Good luck to you too..I know you will be fine you have the will of all your camino friends behind you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.