• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

health care paperwork

trinencadian

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2013
Hi all,

I know that EU citizens can get free health care in Spain if something were to happen to them along the Camino. And that non-EU people have to pay for said health care. Even though I’m Canadian, as luck would have it, I’m also an EU citizen. Is there certain paperwork I need to have with me to prove my citizenship if I end up in a clinic or hospital? Or is having my French passport good enough? Or do I not qualify for this because despite being a citizen, I'm not a resident (live in Canada)?

Thanks
-T

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,

I am no expert on this... so take this with a "pinch of salt", but I was under the impression that it was the country where you had residence were you were covered by that countrys government health care.

For example I am norwegian but live in Spain. Once I had to go the the emergency room in Norway, but as a spanish resident they did not find me in the norwegian system and I had to use my Spanish health card (that I got since I am a resident here).

So for me, I always need to use my Spanish health coverage... not sure if this is the same for you, but you should check.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

I am British but live in Costa Rica. I have to take out private insurance when I visit Europe. The benefits are for those citizens who actually reside in one of the EU countries. Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:( that’s what I was thinking but I was holding on to fragile hopes! Ah well. Thanks, Ivar and Anne! I guess I should start looking into insurance. Knock on wood it is never needed!

We visited clinics twice on the Camino. Once when my daughter had a fever and once when my mom badly twisted her ankle. In both cases, they took our information, photocopied our passports, and treated us at no cost whatsoever. With my daughter, we did give them our insurance card for private insurance in the US, but they never billed it. When my mom went, they didn't even ask about insurance! And this wasn't a language issue either, as my mom and sister are fluent in Spanish.

It was my first experience with socialized medicine and I have to say that it was a pleasure! The pediatrician we saw in Portomarin even made a "house call" at the albergue later that evening to make sure the medicine was working and that our daughter was feeling better. Has anyone else had experiences like this on the Camino? Is carrying extra health insurance that important, when clinics do not seem to bill for services?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some people may have international travel coverage for health care expenses through their employer's extended health plans. If you are fortunate enough to have this coverage, make sure to fully understand what is and is not covered.

Hola

Given the economic crises in Spain, in recent months the law has changed and there has been a general tightening up of the "free" care given. Whilst I hope that pilgrims on Camino would be treated sympathetically carrying appropriate insurance is the only guarantee that you won;t face a hefty bill.

John

I live in the UK and travel with the European Health Insurance Card ( EHIC) on the back of which it says as point 1 make sure you have valid travel insurance, which I will do.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) replaced the old E111 in 2006.
Your EHIC lets you get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, as long as you're not going abroad to give birth.
The EHIC is valid in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland. For more information about what is covered in each country see our country-by-country guide.

http://tinyurl.com/6n4fo6c

In my experience traveling throughout the EU, especially in tourist areas away from major cities, the medical staff would treat a traveler as they would their own citizen. Sailing the Mediterranean recently a young crew member fell sick and we pulled into a nearby Greek island where he was examined and treated completely free and without any paperwork. I would think that if a stay in Hospital were required then the paperwork would kick in and if medical repatriation was required then travel insurance would be required.

I have an Australian born relative living in Hong Kong who had her son examined & treated in a London Accident and Emergency hospital department (not requiring admission)- when she asked how much she had to pay they waved her away.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JohnnieWalker said:
Hola

Given the economic crises in Spain, in recent months the law has changed and there has been a general tightening up of the "free" care given. Whilst I hope that pilgrims on Camino would be treated sympathetically carrying appropriate insurance is the only guarantee that you won;t face a hefty bill.

John

Yes of course you are right - in the current economic circumstances we should not expect so much and must be insured.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back