• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health food stores - homeopathy, organic food

Camino2010

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
SJPP to Santiago (2010)
SJPP to Fisterra (2011)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2012)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2015)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2016)
I'm curious to know how many health food stores there along the Camino Frances route. I also wonder how common it is for homeopathic and other alternative remedies, like the Bach flower essences, to be available at pharmacies (or anywhere else). Has anyone ever noticed a health food section at El Corte Ingles, or any other chain stores along the way? Do you know of any places along the way to buy organically grown grains or produce?

And what about personal care products that are more "healthy ingredient" based -- brands like Weleda or Dr. Hauschke or Dr. Bronner's soap (which is what I use for handwashing, dishwashing, and laundry)? I come from a history of having needed products that were as simple and preservative-free as possible in my past, and although I no longer require them, I still prefer them. Part of the weight issue with my pack (see my thread about that in this forum if you'd like a good laugh ;-)) is because of my bringing personal care items/health remedies I'm not sure would be possible to buy in Spain.

As a secondary question, those of you who have walked the trail before - or who live in Spain - what do you know about how much spraying is done in agricultural areas (pesticide, herbicide, fungicide)? I'm hoping that by the time I walk the meseta, most or all of the crops will have been sprayed for the year. I tried looking for information online and read that Spain does have some organic vineyards, but I couldn't find out how prevalent the use of chemicals is. I also would like to know (if you know), how often are albergues sprayed/fumigated?

I know I'll be fine, and I'm curious. Thanks if you can shed some light!

Rachel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looking online, I found the names of these organic supermarket chains that are supposed to be in Spain: Terra Verda, Veritas, NaturaSi, and Comme-Bio. I found a reference to Comme-Bio in Barcelona, has anyone seen it or the others I listed along the Camino Frances?

Heard there was a health food store in Santiago..spent hours trying to track it down. Anyone know of it?
The only real health food store I have seen was in Leon.
Specifically, I am looking for engivita yeast (nutrtional yeast will do) and some japanese products, nori and umeboshi and kuzu.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola - there are several.

One at the end of my street: Calle de Santiago de Guayaquil, 15702 Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña - next to the Cafe/Bar Isla

There is another on the Rua Horreo - down from the Plaza Galicia.

Seeds, grains and herbs (as well abundant fresh vegetables) are available in the market.

In 2008 I wrote a post on my blog on medicines, drugs and healing plants on the Camino.

http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2008/09/m ... ts-on.html

It was based on the article below "Medicinal Plants on the Camino" The article doesn't have photographs of the plants but they are all in the blog post.

Attachments

• Medicinal Plants on the Camino.doc
    35 KB · Views: 44
Most towns of any size (even Sahagun) have at least one "Parafarmacia" store that has all kinds of natural products for sale. I do not know about availability of those particular Japanese items, however. You can often find a selection of organic cereals, etc. in supermarkets.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In Sarria, a few minutes walk from the old town where the Camino passes, there is an excellent health food shop called Merkaba. It's on Calvo Sotelo and sells organic food, raw chocolate, fruit and nuts, rice milk muesli, plus a good selection of supplements and organic cosmetics.

I practise low-level laser therapy there - for all kinds of aches and pains and a group meditation on Wednesday evenings.

Most of the towns that the Camino passes through are so small that often you'll be happy to find a store thats open.

I don't recall seeing any Corte Ingles along the route except in Leon. It was Sunday and therefore closed. I wanted to get peanut butter and figured they would be the only store that might have it. I subsisted on Baguettes, Cheese, and Chorizo. Often the baguette was suitable for carpentry.

On the plus side I saw only one MacDonalds restaurant. Since it didn't have a menu peregrino I went elsewhere.

Chemist shops stock homoeopathic products - though usually only the most common ones. The larger may stock Bach flower remedies - but I assume you will be carrying your own.

Pesticides? It depends on the individual farmer and the time of the year - at a particular time arsenic is sprayed on vines!

Most of the Spain you will be walking through is "in the middle of nowhere" and hamlets and villages tend to have just the one shop, circa 1958. The big cities you pass through will have organic produce shops but =- how do you find them? Do you want to walk more miles searching? The larger supermarkets do have organic produce but this seems to peter out once you are in Galicia as the supermarkets get smaller and less 'modern' (if that is the right word).

Anyone on a special diet will have problems along the Camino so there is a need to carry your own supplies as much as possible.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We noticed this year that there are slightly more products labelled 'ecological', which seems so be the label for 'organic'. Am I right?

Also we were sold a wonderful herbal cough medicine, in a farmacia in Arriondas, which is probably available in places along the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.