• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health insurance for 2021 and Covid?

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Everyone! i wonder which insurance would be good to cover my Camino Trip that goes from Portugal to Spain. I bought the tickets on May 30 but recently needed to chance on June 23 as airline change my flight. I also would like to add * that with this travel advisories and change should i get it more closer to my flight date or now? I am curious because some seems to say it needs to be bought close to when you paid for tickets. Which i paid a long time ago and flights is already changed from the original dates. Im a bit confused.
i would like to know which insurance you guys know would be better to cover medical expenses there, Covid and also if needed transportation to USA? Thank you.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is the regular Allianz one the airline offers when you buy the tickets cover medical too or just flights changes or loss?
in the past that is what i bought but for such a long trip and more potential risks now with covid i would like to make sure i am getting a decent one in case i file a claim.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For example the Allianz i bought when i bought my tickets emailed after the fact saying they do not cover for example covid so i want to buy a better one. I didn't research but imagine by the price it covers minimal things so I want one better and need some guidance. See picture of email Allianz sent me. So i suspect that may cover only flights etc... i am more concerned about bigger expenses as health ones.

Attachments

• A49636CE-A05A-44CE-969C-B6B59A427411.png
    A49636CE-A05A-44CE-969C-B6B59A427411.png
    795.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always use Insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase my travel insurance policy. It's best to buy your insurance as soon as you purchase your tickets, because then you are covered if something happens to up before your trip and you can't travel.

As you read the various coverages and advertisements for insurance, don't forget that insurance companies make their money by paying out as little as they can and only what they must. It's a business not a empathetic service. Not being bitter or pessimistic. It's just something that people then to forget. If something is not talked about as covered in an insurance policy, it probably is not covered. I have and am glad of insurance coverage, but it only is what it is.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you read the various coverages and advertisements for insurance, don't forget that insurance companies make their money by paying out as little as they can and only what they must. It's a business not a empathetic service. Not being bitter or pessimistic. It's just something that people then to forget. If something is not talked about as covered in an insurance policy, it probably is not covered. I have and am glad of insurance coverage, but it only is what it is.
That is also why is important to research them. Which one do you use?

I always use Insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase my travel insurance policy. It's best to buy your insurance as soon as you purchase your tickets, because then you are covered if something happens to up before your trip and you can't travel.

Thank you. There is an AAA office close to me. I will stop by to also ask them what they offer.

Travel insurance: Cancellation subject to Force Majeure: luggage subject to value; possessions subject to circumstance ( you went clubbing in New Cross and somebody nicked your 'phone?).

Health insurance: well I can just about afford cremation & repatriation of remains cover - and that gets more expensive every year ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Travel insurance: Cancellation subject to Force Majeure: luggage subject to value; possessions subject to circumstance ( you went clubbing in New Cross and somebody nicked your 'phone?).

Health insurance: well I can just about afford cremation & repatriation of remains cover - and that gets more expensive every year ;)
Yes that the way it is. Which company do u use?

You need to read the fine print! Insure my trip as @trecile suggests is a good place to start. Some companies allow for preexisting conditions while you are on your journey, AND buy their insurance within a week or two of ticket/trip purchase. Some companies will allow you to submit the bills for services only up to 3 months,whileothers allow you to submit bills up-to a year. Take the time to compare policies verses your needs. Call them with questions. Read your policy carefully once you get it. Many allow you to cancel and get a refund within a few days of purchase. Ask if the travel company will allow you to change your dates if you need to make a change.

You need to read the fine print! Insure my trip as @trecile suggests is a good place to start. Some companies allow for preexisting conditions while you are on your journey, AND buy their insurance within a week or two of ticket/trip purchase. Somecompanieswillallowyou to submitthe bills for only up to 3 months,others allow youto submit bills up-to a year. Take the time tocompare policies verses your needs. Call them with questions. Read your policy carefully once you get it. Many allow you to cancel andgeta refund withina few daysofpurchase. Ask if the travel company will allow you to change your dates if you need to make a change.
Thank you. Do you think since tickets were bought way more than two weeks ago i will run into problems to get insurance now? Flights are for beginning of September. I want to take the time to research them a bit.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you. Do you think since tickets were bought way more than two weeks ago i will run into problems to get insurance now? Flights are for beginning of September. I want to the time to research them a bit.
No, you shouldn't run into problems now, but you won't get some of the benefits that you would have if you had purchased within a couple of weeks of buying your tickets. Most notably coverage for pre-existing conditions, which may not be a issue for you anyway.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
These are recommended on the Schengen Travel site

The Europe travel health insurance policy can easily be purchased online from AXA, MondialCare or Europ Assistance at a very low cost.
Could you tell me if these insurance policies are only for people who need a Schengen visa? Would these policies apply to American citizens, since we do not need a visa?

Thank you. Do you think since tickets were bought way more than two weeks ago i will run into problems to get insurance now? Flights are for beginning of September. I want to take the time to research them a bit.
You should not have trouble getting insurance, but may not be able to get a pre-existing medical condition waiver.

I definitely will thank you. But i want to hear more experiences here before i do so. Good to know different companies, coverages and reputation.
I was very disappointed with Allianz. Poor response in an emergency and dishonest behaviour by staff.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had to make a claim on my travel insurance in 2019. I used Travelex, and they processed my claim promptly with no runaround.

I was very disappointed with Allianz. Poor response in an emergency and dishonest behaviour by staff.
Yes i enjoy learning about real experiences with these companies not what they write on their ads. Im sorry about your experience. But your sharing help others.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Everyone! i wonder which insurance would be good to cover my Camino Trip that goes from Portugal to Spain. I bought the tickets on May 30 but recently needed to chance on June 23 as airline change my flight. I also would like to add * that with this travel advisories and change should i get it more closer to my flight date or now? I am curious because some seems to say it needs to be bought close to when you paid for tickets. Which i paid a long time ago and flights is already changed from the original dates. Im a bit confused.
i would like to know which insurance you guys know would be better to cover medical expenses there, Covid and also if needed transportation to USA? Thank you.
I have always used Allianz Global Assistance with no problem. We had to cancel a trip in progress walking around Montblanc. They paid for everything including change fees for airlines, tour company & hotel changes. We just sent them a Dr Note. We have used them in other situations & have never had a problem. Sent them a receipt for a charge & they sent a check.

Hi. I think I can help...I am a travel agent and I deal with travel insurance all the time.
The best coverage for Covid-related illness is with Travel Insured International. They consider Covid as an illness, and they have not excluded coverage for this. Lots of companies will not pay for treatment, trip delay, etc if it's because of Covid. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you would need to buy the insurance within 14 days of your initial deposit/payment to get coverage for these. (That means if your medical condition causes you to cancel or get treatment on your trip.) But Covid would not be a pre-existing condition, so you should be covered in case you get Covid and have to cancel something--or delay your return. Here is a link to the info on Travel Insured websie ( travelinsured.com) Note that MANY good travel insurance companies are excuding any Covid-related claims from their coverage.
And note that the Travel Insured plan should be the "Worldwide Trip Protector" policy--not the "Worldwide Trip Protector Lite."
The Covid coverage for all insurance companies is changing every day, so be sure to call Travel Insured and talk to an agent. (Don't rely on my info as the gospel!) But so far, this looks like your best bet to cover Covid issues.

P.S. Allianz is also including Covid coverage for some plans. You have to ask specifically (or check plan details) to see what plan will cover this. Allianz says:
Claims due to known, foreseeable, or expected events, epidemics, government prohibitions, warnings, or travel advisories or fear of travel are generally not covered, and coverage can vary by state. However, we are pleased to announce the addition of epidemic-related covered reasons to some of our most popular insurance plans in response to COVID-19.
For plans that include the new Epidemic Coverage Endorsement:
New covered reasons have been added for certain specific epidemic-related situations. Please refer to plan details for more information.
The Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, and the covered reasons added by this endorsement, may not be available for all plans or in all jurisdictions. These new covered reasons are only available for customers whose plan includes the Epidemic Coverage Endorsement. To see if your plan includes this endorsement, please look for “Epidemic Coverage Endorsement” on your Declarations of Coverage or Letter of Confirmation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

trecile, Thanks for the website. I had be given Geo Blue and Seven Corners to explore, but the Insuremytrip does a nice job aggregating all the possibilities for a person. I ended up with the TravelEx because it fit my needs. I made my first reservations today, so my coverage covers all my needs.

trecile, Thanks for the website. I had be given Geo Blue and Seven Corners to explore, but the Insuremytrip does a nice job aggregating all the possibilities for a person. I ended up with the TravelEx because it fit my needs. I made my first reservations today, so my coverage covers all my needs.
You'll be happy to know that the only time that I've needed to file a claim with my travel insurance was the year that I used TravelEx, and the service was very good, and the process pretty easy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.