• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health insurance while "Caminoing" during the Covid

Jean Ti

I realized that even with the 2 vaccines doses against the Covid, I am not Shure at 100 percent that I will not get it while "Caminoing" in Spain.

For those that perchase health insurance for traveling this summer or fall. Are you protected again any sickness due to Covid.

Or it is on your responsibility to pay the medical fees?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I realized that even with the 2 vaccines doses against the Covid, I am not Shure at 100 percent that I will not get it while "Caminoing" in Spain.

For those that perchase health insurance for traveling this summer or fall. Are you protected again any sickness due to Covid.

It depends on your regular health insurance, your travel insurance and your country of residence. Definitely something to check with your insurer before you step on a plane!

Last edited:
Insurance companies have most likely been crunching the numbers since COVID started to address this very issue. Most likely to get coverage they will want us to be fully vaccinated and when applicable be up to date with our booster shot. It’s a numbers game. Travel insurance will have to cover COVID medical costs to remain competitive (because some company will) but there will mostly likely be exceptions and limits to coverage. The rest of the risk will be left to our own tolerance level.

shop around and you’ll find someone who will cover your travel needs. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a matter of general practice, I always buy the general travel insurance offered by the airline, whenever I go to Spain to do a Camino, or to volunteer. The generic tourist policy covers you, as walking, bicycling, or even hiking are not extreme activities.

As for COVID ID specific coverage, you would have to contact the insurance provider, like Allianz.com, for example. I have been receiving e-mail from them in recent months that specifically discusses COVID. I have not paid attention as it does not affect me. I am fully vaccinated.

My specific reason for obtaining this coverage as a matter of habit for all my trips, is in case I become seriously incapacitated and need to be medically evacuated back to the mainland of the US. The cost of a nurse-attended medical evacuation flight could easily be $100,000. USD. I usually pay for local care by cash or credit card. The costs are generally reasonable and a fraction of what it would be in the US.

In the event of hospitalization or serious problems, NOT requiring evacuation, my secondary health insurance cover here in the US, is acceptable at selected hospitals all over the world. For example, at Santiago, this insurance cover can be used at the Santiago University Medical Center (CHUS) - one of the best hospitals on the continent.

Hope this helps the dialog,

Ultreia!

Tom

My travel insurance plan and many others now state specifically that they cover Covid 19.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is my experience.
My wife and I are 70 and in the US. Both of us are US citizens with US passports, and I also have Italian citizenship with a passport, but have never requested an Italian health card because I want to be able to choose my hospital if possible.
Most US health insurance companies do NOT cover you outside of the US, except possibly in Canada.
We have purchased health insurance online for traveling overseas, but have not had to use it. We have found the prices to be less than most US health insurance. We have purchased plans with no deductible, with high benefit limits due to our age.
We are Covid vaccinated and that might possibly become a requirement or an option that requires an additional fee.
A few years ago we paid less than $300 total for both of us for a 3 weeks trip, so less than $40 per person per week.

In 2020, I was to be on the Camino for 3 weeks starting March 01, then meet my wife in France in late March for 3 weeks. Longest vacation ever celebrating retirement and 48 years of marriage.
Since I was still trying to convince her to go Caminoing with us, I bought the same 6 weeks plan for both of us and it totalled $700 with no deductible.
Well, I departed an on March 11 she contacted me and informed me that covid was getting out of control and flights were to be suspended.
My Camino friends and I headed back to Paris and returned to the US. My wife never left home.
When I arrived home, I called the insurance company, explained the situation, and respectfully requested a partial refund for her.
Well, lucky us, a few days later, the insurance company refunded every penny we paid for both of our premiums. (Not anywhere near as lucky with the river cruise company or airlines.)
Depending on the country, you might be asked to pay your bill before treatment, though the charges are more reasonable. This is much like in the US where someone might be asked to pay some of the inflated emergency room and hospital charges.

The company we have used in the past was GeoBlue.

Full disclosure: I have no relationship to GeoBlue except as a customer, and am a retired medical professional.

IMHO, when traveling out of country, the mantra "don't leave home without it" applies to travel health insurance.

Good luck.

My health insurance does not normally name the diseases for which I am or am not covered. I haven't bothered to look if the wording has changed recently. I am covered for any disease, with certain limitations in what is paid for. Other insurance plans have strict criteria about pre-existing conditions, which don't really apply to the Covid discussion.

I'm not at all an expert on this but I am curious on what basis Covid would not be covered? First, expenses related to travel contrary to an official travel advisory by your government woud be disqualified, and secondly there might be some fine print about active/ declared pandemics. Can anyone clarify why else Covid care would be excluded?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think if you trust your insurance agent to be intelligent and honest and has your best interests at heart to speak to that person.

This is my experience.
My wife and I are 70 and in the US. Both of us are US citizens with US passports, and I also have Italian citizenship with a passport, but have never requested an Italian health card because I want to be able to choose my hospital if possible.
Most US health insurance companies do NOT cover you outside of the US, except possibly in Canada.
We have purchased health insurance online for traveling overseas, but have not had to use it. We have found the prices to be less than most US health insurance. We have purchased plans with no deductible, with high benefit limits due to our age.
We are Covid vaccinated and that might possibly become a requirement or an option that requires an additional fee.
A few years ago we paid less than $300 total for both of us for a 3 weeks trip, so less than $40 per person per week.

In 2020, I was to be on the Camino for 3 weeks starting March 01, then meet my wife in France in late March for 3 weeks. Longest vacation ever celebrating retirement and 48 years of marriage.
Since I was still trying to convince her to go Caminoing with us, I bought the same 6 weeks plan for both of us and it totalled $700 with no deductible.
Well, I departed an on March 11 she contacted me and informed me that covid was getting out of control and flights were to be suspended.
My Camino friends and I headed back to Paris and returned to the US. My wife never left home.
When I arrived home, I called the insurance company, explained the situation, and respectfully requested a partial refund for her.
Well, lucky us, a few days later, the insurance company refunded every penny we paid for both of our premiums. (Not anywhere near as lucky with the river cruise company or airlines.)
Depending on the country, you might be asked to pay your bill before treatment, though the charges are more reasonable. This is much like in the US where someone might be asked to pay some of the inflated emergency room and hospital charges.

The company we have used in the past was GeoBlue.

Full disclosure: I have no relationship to GeoBlue except as a customer, and am a retired medical professional.

IMHO, when traveling out of country, the mantra "don't leave home without it" applies to travel health insurance.

Good luck.
Canada does not cover you outside of Canada I usually get travel health insurance for forty-five days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always purchased additional travel insurance for all of my overseas travels, although I have never yet needed to use even a dime of it. If you need it it is a godsend, if you don't you feel rather cheated; you are paying for peace of mind, which is still worth a lot.

Last edited:
Canada does not cover you outside of Canada I usually get travel health insurance for forty-five days.
This generalization is not factually correct. "Canada" does not cover anything. Our provincially-administered health plans do cover out-of-province/country expenses but (at least in my province) they are limited to after-the-fact reimbursements up to specific limits based on corresponding provincial costs. There may other limitations that are relevant to travel, and it is recommended that travelers purchase private coverage for this.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Earlier threads on this topic seemed to coalesce around the consensus that medical coverage extends to Covid, but trip cancellation coverage typically excludes Covid as a known pandemic.

That also seems to be what some people who have purchased insurance have found, but everyone should check directly with the company before buying.

You need your doctor and a lawyer when you reply to their questions. Only then you are really safe to travel!
My last Camino my insurance agent told me that the company I signed up for is excellent.
It is a Mexican company and you need to be either a citizen or permanent resident.
I became pretty sick with bronchial spasms and twice went to emergency rooms and once to a state or provincial clinic. I was supposed to contact the company if I needed them.
I would text my wife and my agent and my agent took care of the rest. The person who checked me in would call a 24 hour number and all three times when I was done they said everything was taken care of. I didn’t pay an additional penny. For 2 months it was about 400 but totally worth it.

Last edited:

€60,-
My health insurance does not normally name the diseases for which I am or am not covered. I haven't bothered to look if the wording has changed recently. I am covered for any disease, with certain limitations in what is paid for. Other insurance plans have strict criteria about pre-existing conditions, which don't really apply to the Covid discussion.

I'm not at all an expert on this but I am curious on what basis Covid would not be covered? First, expenses related to travel contrary to an official travel advisory by your government woud be disqualified, and secondly there might be some fine print about active/ declared pandemics. Can anyone clarify why else Covid care would be excluded?
In general, insurance covers unexpected events although in some cases cover is offered for expected events.

I'm going to purchase my own private health insurance. I like the peace of mind that I can be medically evacuated if necessary. I got good service from Insurance For Trips.com I'm excited to hear about everyone's trips. Safe travels!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going to purchase my own private health insurance. I like the peace of mind that I can be medically evacuated if necessary. I got good service from Insurance For Trips.com I'm excited to hear about everyone's trips. Safe travels!
I always purchase travel insurance that covers what my regular health insurance doesn't. Particularly evacuation/repatriation insurance. I wouldn't travel abroad for 2 months without it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.