• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health insurance

CaminoRay

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Will I need to buy health insurance in case of emergency services along the Camino ? I don't like thinking about this but you never know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably, but not knowing what country is home to you, I am not positive. I travel from the U.S. and want medical and Med-evac insurance so I always take out a policy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are an employed person, check with your employer's human resources department. Sometimes there could be out-of-country coverage as part of your medical/dental benefits.

I live in the U.S. and always buy a travel policy when I travel out of the country. I have friends that encountered very expensive medical bills for hospital and medical services when out of the country. Our U.S. health policies almost never cover overseas travel. I get basic health and evacuation coverage. It is generally around $100-$150 for a month's coverage. A good place to start is insuremytrip.com - it shows policies and costs for a large number of different companies or just google travel insurance.

Good morning everyone. There is an option here in Spain, purchasing Caminocard, which gives you discounts in several shops, phrmacy, hotels and also includes a health insurance.
You can purchase it for 7, 15 or 30 days at 10,15 or 25 euros.

I have not used it since I am covered by my own health insurance but seems to be interesting and cheap.

Check: www.caminodesantiagocard.com

Cheers!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good morning everyone. There is an option here in Spain, purchasing Caminocard, which gives you discounts in several shops, phrmacy, hotels and also includes a health insurance.
You can purchase it for 7, 15 or 30 days at 10,15 or 25 euros.

I have not used it since I am covered by my own health insurance but seems to be interesting and cheap.

Check: www.caminodesantiagocard.com

Cheers!
I will check out these suggestions so far. Thanks for the input.

I'm still looking forward to doing the camino (I keep telling myself that an adventure is just a dream put into action) however, the years are passing and tho I'm in very good shape for the shape that I'm in, I will have to commit to doing the walk sometime in 2017 or 2018. I've looked at insuremytrip web page and they have age limitations. Wlhen my wife and I visit Europe or anywhere else outside of the US, we buy insurance through the tour group. Have never had to use, thank God. Can someone tell me if caminocard has age limitations. I have not been able to pull up a web page for them. If we put our plan into effect, It will be a September-October 60day walk. We hope to average about 10 miles (15-20 km) a day. We hope to plan in a number of layovers to explore, laundry, sample food, Food, FOOD and a little local wine or maybe a lot of wine. Please keep the forum updated with your day to day walks, maps and lots of pic. My God please protect you all as you journey down the path of life as you search out the meaning of your camine.

I'm still looking forward to doing the camino (I keep telling myself that an adventure is just a dream put into action) however, the years are passing and tho I'm in very good shape for the shape that I'm in, I will have to commit to doing the walk sometime in 2017 or 2018. I've looked at insuremytrip web page and they have age limitations. Wlhen my wife and I visit Europe or anywhere else outside of the US, we buy insurance through the tour group. Have never had to use, thank God. Can someone tell me if caminocard has age limitations. I have not been able to pull up a web page for them. If we put our plan into effect, It will be a September-October 60day walk. We hope to average about 10 miles (15-20 km) a day. We hope to plan in a number of layovers to explore, laundry, sample food, Food, FOOD and a little local wine or maybe a lot of wine. Please keep the forum updated with your day to day walks, maps and lots of pic. My God please protect you all as you journey down the path of life as you search out the meaning of your camine.
Sorry...I wasn't aware of the age limit (boy that makes me feel younger;) since I qualified). I googled "travel insurance for older travelers" and a lot of options popped up for over 65, 70s and 80s. Hopefully you can find an option on one of these sites.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've over 65 (US Citizen) and purchased a very reasonable priced medical policy from AAA for my time on the Camino. You can choose how much you want to spend with a deductible and coverage matrix. My cost was about $135. Didn't need to use it but, you never know....

Hi! I have been checking the insurance contract shown at Caminocard and do not state any age restriction.
Im afraid that it is not available in English... Sorry.

Attachments

• condiciones-generales.pdf
    486.1 KB · Views: 3
I too buy insurance from AAA for trips outside the USA. I bought my air ticket today for my 2nd Camino. I will start walking from Leon mid-April 2016.
If you are looking for insurance, be sure to buy it within 10 days of your first travel purchase to cover preexisting illness you are being treated for. I'm 67, and take a number of pills, so this is important for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back