• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health Insurance

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
For my fellow American Pilgrims....When my wife and I walked the Camino in 2010 I purchased health insurance though Travel Guard. Never had to use it and was in Spain three months. What health insurance do you all recommend?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I generally go to a website called Insuremytrip.com and do a comparison of plans. I have purchased Travel Guard and another plan (can't remember which one). Problem is that I also have never had to use the plan so it is hard to recommend one. If you read the positive reviews on the travel insurance sites you will see that most people haven't had to use their plans but rate them highly. I check the insurance company's rating score to make sure it is reputable. Travel Guard is reputable. Whatever plan I choose, I make sure it will get me (or my body) home since air ambulance can be unbelievably expensive. I focus on the health coverage and skip the lost baggage, cancellation and other benefits that drive up the cost. I generally spend about $120-$150 for a month long trip. Well worth the cost for peace of mind.

There has been a number of threads on this topic over the years (in fact what I write below is largely copied from an earlier thread):

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/travel-insurance.22998/#post-176680
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/health-insurance-recommendations.12867/#post-101305
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/medical-insurance.7980/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/health-insurance-recommendations.12867/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/travel-insurance.5676/

Despite some bad recommendations, I have had Medex in the past (it's recommended by the University where I work), but never needed it, thankfully. I have seen some good reviews of it as well.

A friend of mine did some really careful comparison shopping and was shocked to find huge differences in the fine print. I told this story on an earlier thread, but I'll reprint it here because it's kind of shocking:

One provider lists among benefits: "arrange for medical evacuation to home country" and "arrange for repatriation of remains to home country."
My friend asked: Does "arrange for" mean "pay for" or does it mean "call around to find someone to do it and send the client the bill?" The response: for medical evacuation, it means the latter; for human remains, it means the former. So, they will pay for your body to be returned, but will only find someone to bring you home if you are alive. Of course, that's what a live person said on the phone, which is not going to do you any good if the small print on the policy says otherwise.

If you have decent medical insurance at home, you will likely be covered at least for emergencies abroad, so I have decided that the main thing I need insurance for is medical evacuation and repatriation of remains, but it's worth checking carefully. And I have also learned that my credit card provides some of this, so after a couple years purchasing travel medical insurance, I have stopped. Like Laura says, it's impossible to know if your policy is really any good without first hand reviews from people who actually needed help. And in these threads there are a few of those testimonials.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use insuremytrip.com for travel insurance as well. Fortunately Ive never had to use it, but I always pick something from a highly rated company with the components that I want.

Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!
We have a chain of sporting goods stores in Israel, not sporting goods but a specialty chain of equipment for hikers, bikers, climbers, etc. Something like a North Face Chain only with many many different suppliers, not just the American icon. They also offer insurance. Somewhere someplace in Northern Virginia there must be such a shop, one which has seen insurance programs come and go, and based on the experience of others which can be trusted and which are less. I always prefer dealing wih people rather then an internet fill in the blank form, somebody to talk with should you really need them! Buen Camino

I have used Squaremouth.com which I assume is very similar to insuremytrip.com. They, likewise, allow you to select the options you want included and then you can choose from highly rated companies.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Laurie for the heads up on the "fine print". I will be more diligent in checking the definitions and wording!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.