• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health issues following the Camino

Contourman

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed the entire Camino Frances (2018), plan to do the Northern and Portuguese routes
Hi all - I'm a 62-year old male who recently completed the Camino Frances in 32 days (included one day off). No real health issues during the journey, but once I got back I found the soles on my feet were numb, and my legs wonky. I'm wondering if this is related to carrying 20 pounds on my back for a month and walking fairly fast. Has anyone else had this issue? Still have the wonky legs and numb feet almost two weeks after completing the Camino. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you also have tingly"sparkles" in your toes please see your. Primary Care provider.
I imagine the impacts on your feet may have deadened the nerves.
Hope you get better#

My neuroma got worse over time, and I attribute it partly to pilgrimages. I have extreme pronation. My insoles reduce the shock, but not completely. My surmise is that my feet would have gotten worse regardless. My father had "flat feet," and they got worse over time with no serious hiking after age 40. I don't know about wonky legs. The Camino Stagger stuck with me for a while -- those six steps after you get up from the dinner table! Beyond that, my legs mostly were stronger.

I was about your age when I started, so it may just be the aging process.:) Do see a doctor for some neurological testing. My nerve transmission speed is a bit below 90% of normal, so that affects balance. Numb feet means that it takes a bit longer to make those micro-corrections to stay stable.;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My rate on my left leg is worse than right...but knee issues and L5S1 is shot..so it makes a horrible gate.
I have neuropathy on all 4 limbs so ime glad you dont have sparkles!
Ime gonna make an interesting Camino companion
It takes minutes to warm back up to ambulatory and i usually scare folks with sounds and grimace.

My rate on my left leg is worse than right...but knee issues and L5S1 is shot..so it makes a horrible gate.
I have neuropathy on all 4 limbs so ime glad you dont have sparkles!
Ime gonna make an interesting Camino companion
It takes minutes to warm back up to ambulatory and i usually scare folks with sounds and grimace.

But, you would be such an interesting walking partner... Try it. Just announce when and where you are going and ask for tag-alongs.

I see the "Pied Piper of Hamlin...redux..."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all - I'm a 62-year old male who recently completed the Camino Frances in 32 days (included one day off). No real health issues during the journey, but once I got back I found the soles on my feet were numb, and my legs wonky. I'm wondering if this is related to carrying 20 pounds on my back for a month and walking fairly fast. Has anyone else had this issue? Still have the wonky legs and numb feet almost two weeks after completing the Camino. Thanks!

There is another thread "Severe Joint & Muscle Pain"after the Francis........I have to wonder how many of us seniors come off the Camino feeling never stronger but challenged in some new serious ways? Wishing you a speedy and thorough recovery of your 'issues', Contourman. Fondly sandi, in Vancouver Canada, working with Rheumatologist to diagnose critical muscles condition.

I completed the Camino in June of 2016 at 70 and have had problems with both knees since. The doctors said the ligaments in both knees were sprained and the cartilage in the left knee were pretty thin. Sixteen months later I still have pain in both knees. and I still stagger when I get out of bed in the morning. I can not put it all on the Camino as I am a former marathoner and long-distance biker and I trained like a mad man for my Camino. My knees are improving slowly and I still hike and ride my mountain bike in the mountains around Cuenca, Ecuador. I'm looking forward to my next

Firstly, if it doesn’t improve you should seek medical help.

We finished 10 days ago. We took 38 days with days off in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon. We are still in Europe doing the touristy thing and fortunately didn’t have to rush back to work. I have a recovering blister on my heel that can’t decide if it’s going to recover or not. Our feet are only just recovering from the tingling and we do regular trigger pointing to ease it and encourage circulation. The shaky legs are also just recovering. What I have found, not so much Ian, is that I am extremely lethargic and tire easily. I want to be in bed by 9pm. I just want to sit and do nothing, which is extremely hard on our European friends. Our recent joint replacements gave minimal problems, shoutouts to our surgeons.
With our limited medical knowledge we have reached the following unproven physiological explanations (please don’t hold it against us as we are probably wrong but just needed to justify how we felt). For nearly 6 weeks we were propelled by adrenaline. To get up early, get done and be out by 8am. For a non morning person like me it was an awesome challenge and accomplishment. To try to do it early in order to avoid the heat was difficult because I am such a slow walker. In the first 4 days we started at 8 and finished at 5 until we got wise and in Pamplona sent a bag on to Santiago. Sorry, I’m digressing here because I’m reliving. Every day there was a pounding of the soles on the different terrains, which with the weight of the pack, changed the dimensions of the feet and the bracing of the body in order to achieve the daily goal. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. We loved it. Even after the second week when we were stronger and weren’t so tired, the body was still working and changing to accommodate what was happening. We think that the day to day adrenaline rush, the meeting of exceptional people, the excitement of first getting up and going to the last kilometres of #&$*(mine) added to all the changes. Then settling into a daily routine and being more efficient in settling down at the end of the day and learning how to pace yourself, even the evening in your own little territory.
To get back to my ‘theory’. We think that with the withdrawal of adrenaline the body is settling and inducing a ‘down’ feeling. We are also thus feeling the aches and pains that we didn’t feel because of the increased adrenaline while walking. It takes time for the body to recognise this and adjust accordingly. So we assume it will take some time.
Sorry for the rambling. We have been so busy with buses, trains and planes we haven’t actually had a chance to really be alone. Probably when we get back to Australia and watch all our videos we will be in another place and probably have another ‘theory’.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I find that, even without a particular injury, I am quite tired at the end of a month walking. My body needs a rest for a couple of weeks. The 9-hour time change and long jouney then add to it!

ciao.
If you like me, and like many others, do not do daily or weekly miles and miles of walking with a baggage of about 20 puonds, on climbs and descents, I think it's normal that your body "accuse" some prolonged pain. Your legs, your back and shoulders are not used to this rhythm. I also accused for over a month, getting out of bed in the morning, a pain in the heels.
And I'm 16 years younger than you.
Yes, I also worried but I saw that during the day the pain disappeared and I could do my daily activities, including walks of 5/6 kilometers in the hills.
Another thing is the real and serious trauma that one gets during the walk because it does not "read" in time the signals that the body is sending. And for the most varied reasons the journey continues with a thousand expedients. Those could become permanent once the pilgrimage is over.
I wish you a good serene recovery.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back