• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Health Pass ( QR Code) update for Americans from Le Puy

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Typing quickly, limited wifi. I am standing outside of the hospital in Le Puy. I went to a pharmacy this morning to ask about the “ Health pass QR”, and the lady didn’t know much but sent me to a stadium where she said the could tell me. A ten minute walk produced just a stadium, that was closed and I assume might have been a mass vaccination or testing site at one time. I then google mapped the hospital that unlike ones I have worked in didn’t have an obvious entrance… but I lucked out to walk through a non dramatic entry and attached myself to the first person I saw, a lovely gal who called I think “ the head of vaccinations”. He was all smiles and helpful, And took us to his office where he called the Health Ministries department in Paris. A long hold time but this was what was concluded TODAY ( things change quickly in Covid world, I know first hand from working in an USA Emergency room). But as of now it’s been determined , post call, this pass is “ only” for Europeans and no way as of now to update my info in a system. He said keep my documentation on me. He also said he does not think restaurants will be asking for this for atleast two weeks. He said there is a chance at thst time we might not get in to historical sites or restaurants. He and I both agreed this is the beginning/ cusp of a new procedure with LOTS OF UNKNOWNS. So the answers are not there for everything, and as obstacles present themselves they will have to iron them out. My attitude on this is great!!!! I might need to picnic myself through France in two weeks but deep down I do not think ( just an opinion) this will be the case, because of what I am witnessing here. Spirits are high, I do not feel like I am walking around any differently than the many other times I have travelled in Europe. We did get one frantic look when I walked into the grocery store unmasked, but put one on instantly!!!! I did ask him about the situation of a fellow forum member from Canada who shared they have a mixture of vaccine of Pfizer one dose and I think Moderna one dose. While I had not heard of this he,I am almost certain, said this is common in France as well. His English was as good as my French bad, but I am pretty certain this is what he said. So I am hoping that won’t be an obstacle for those.
I will keep “ Health Pass” updates from what I experience in this one thread. My wifi is limited so I’m not reading and enjoying the forums as usual… just kind of posting to share at this point. I apologize in advance if a thread more specific is already out there. Just sharing what I can. Again my info is from Le Puy at this moment, possibly the best source I will be able to get for weeks. Calls were made and I do think my source was probably the best in the field from this location atleast.
I am appreciate for the time they took with me, calls they made… I saw him first hand trying to get me answers!!!!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your extensive update. Even we who live in France and are twice vaccinated are having problems. What must be shown is stated/known but how to show it simply is not....

Be sure to enjoy your new adventure;
tucked deep in your pack you carry all our dreams.

Last edited:
European Covid Cert is compulsory for entry into Pubs and restaurants in Ireland it can be carried in digital format on phone or paper print out also can be loaded onto your Covid tracker seems to be working well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the info/update. Planning to start the Le Puy route on September 3rd, so any info, no matter how trivial about your walk will be greatly appreciated.

Good luck.

Bon Chemin.

Mark

But as of now it’s been determined , post call, this pass is “ only” for Europeans and no way as of now to update my info in a system. He said keep my documentation on me. He also said he does not think restaurants will be asking for this for atleast two weeks. He said there is a chance at thst time we might not get in to historical sites or restaurants. He and I both agreed this is the beginning/ cusp of a new procedure with LOTS OF UNKNOWNS.
My wife and I are from the U.S. but currently residents of Portugal, so we're in an unusual category. But I'll pass along our experience to add some additional info to the mix. We returned to the U.S. in April to get our two Pfizer jabs. Then, here in Portugal, we went to our local health center, showed them the white vaccination cards from the CDD and asked them to enter our status as fully vaccinated into their records, which they did. We were then able to download our EU Covid Certificates from the Portuguese national health service. At the end of July, we took a one-week trip to France, flying Faro to Toulouse. The EU certificate served as the magic door-opener at the airport at each end: no Covid tests required, we just showed the certificates and got on the plane. In France itself, the certificate proved necessary to get into some museums but nobody asked for it in hotels and restaurants. Not needed on trains or buses either. So, our experience suggests that crossing borders in the EU is easy nowadays for EU residents if you've got that certificate but a major hassle if you don't. More complex situation, of course, for non-ER residents.

My concern is flying domestically in France. As a Canadian arriving to Paris on Thursday, we then fly south to Biarritz on Air France. I have documentation as to being vaccinated, however, do I need a QR code to board that plane? I called Air France today and they don't even know yet. I'm afraid my Camino "Norte" my turn into my Camino "Not Today"!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My concern is flying domestically in France. As a Canadian arriving to Paris on Thursday, we then fly south to Biarritz on Air France. I have documentation as to being vaccinated, however, do I need a QR code to board that plane? I called Air France today and they don't even know yet. I'm afraid my Camino "Norte" my turn into my Camino "Not Today"!!
I don’t think there will be problem, but then again I’m no expert, just a shoes on the ground perspective. Proof of vaccination is to fly OR possibly a negative test for non vaxers and then I’ll assume many negatives to follow ( though I must admit my approach will be to share info for those vaxed as the other is just too much knowledge to keep track of and one I’m not interested in:))…
Typing quickly, limited wifi. I am standing outside of the hospital in Le Puy. I went to a pharmacy this morning to ask about the “ Health pass QR”, and the lady didn’t know much but sent me to a stadium where she said the could tell me. A ten minute walk produced just a stadium, that was closed and I assume might have been a mass vaccination or testing site at one time. I then google mapped the hospital that unlike ones I have worked in didn’t have an obvious entrance… but I lucked out to walk through a non dramatic entry and attached myself to the first person I saw, a lovely gal who called I think “ the head of vaccinations”. He was all smiles and helpful, And took us to his office where he called the Health Ministries department in Paris. A long hold time but this was what was concluded TODAY ( things change quickly in Covid world, I know first hand from working in an USA Emergency room). But as of now it’s been determined , post call, this pass is “ only” for Europeans and no way as of now to update my info in a system. He said keep my documentation on me. He also said he does not think restaurants will be asking for this for atleast two weeks. He said there is a chance at thst time we might not get in to historical sites or restaurants. He and I both agreed this is the beginning/ cusp of a new procedure with LOTS OF UNKNOWNS. So the answers are not there for everything, and as obstacles present themselves they will have to iron them out. My attitude on this is great!!!! I might need to picnic myself through France in two weeks but deep down I do not think ( just an opinion) this will be the case, because of what I am witnessing here. Spirits are high, I do not feel like I am walking around any differently than the many other times I have travelled in Europe. We did get one frantic look when I walked into the grocery store unmasked, but put one on instantly!!!! I did ask him about the situation of a fellow forum member from Canada who shared they have a mixture of vaccine of Pfizer one dose and I think Moderna one dose. While I had not heard of this he,I am almost certain, said this is common in France as well. His English was as good as my French bad, but I am pretty certain this is what he said. So I am hoping that won’t be an obstacle for those.
I will keep “ Health Pass” updates from what I experience in this one thread. My wifi is limited so I’m not reading and enjoying the forums as usual… just kind of posting to share at this point. I apologize in advance if a thread more specific is already out there. Just sharing what I can. Again my info is from Le Puy at this moment, possibly the best source I will be able to get for weeks. Calls were made and I do think my source was probably the best in the field from this location atleast.
I am appreciate for the time they took with me, calls they made… I saw him first hand trying to get me answers!!!!
So, seeing more masks today but I think it’s because some stores are open and signs seem to say stores want you to wear them. But as people are walking around everyone with no exception looks relaxed, out an about and the atmosphere is lively. Today upon returning to our gite ( youth hostel) we saw two signs attached one mentions the pass the other states pass, or vax proof, or negative test ( if I’m reading it correctly). However we did walk down a dark entry to a restaurant that is in a courtyard and more intimate , it’s packed but I’m posting the signs that are there… and I think it is requiring a health pass. With that said we have a table at our favorite pizza spot CORELEON, and it’s all smiles and we are eating!!!!

Attachments

• 1B687ADC-6D0D-4A72-907C-0067DFEB5D51.jpeg
    1B687ADC-6D0D-4A72-907C-0067DFEB5D51.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 1FCDE1CE-C61B-440C-B76C-4051FE1358A2.jpeg
    1FCDE1CE-C61B-440C-B76C-4051FE1358A2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 64F066E4-30F5-4ACE-B5D7-93767994CF8E.jpeg
    64F066E4-30F5-4ACE-B5D7-93767994CF8E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • DB415B7E-860B-4F5A-99A6-13AD2B702816.jpeg
    DB415B7E-860B-4F5A-99A6-13AD2B702816.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Just spoke to the manager or possibly owner of this little Alley pizza spot and I asked him what did he know about the “ Health Pass” and he said started today but they have 7 days for it to be enforced. He said everyone is confused by it. He also said everyone is mad over it. I asked him how they’d handle Americans ( or any country not having a way to upload their info and thus get a pass) and he said he honestly does not know. Today’s hospital employee used the phrase “ two weeks”, not certain if he knows something this guy doesn’t ( having called the Health Ministries office infront of me), or the other way around. I’ll keep you all posted! We aren’t worried I could picnic my way through France easily!!!!…and be thrilled to do i!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
European Covid Cert is compulsory for entry into Pubs and restaurants in Ireland it can be carried in digital format on phone or paper print out also can be loaded onto your Covid tracker seems to be working well.
Thankfully there's some flexibility on that for those of us vaccinated in Northern Ireland 😊

Thank you! I am flying into CDG and transferring to ORY to fly to Biarritz in two weeks. This answers so many questions--I downloaded tousanticovid today. I walked LP to SJPP 3 years ago. enjoy and keep the updates coming. Bon Chemin!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in France currently on The Normandy coast was on the Camino Litoralle this past weekend. I will be here until October if I get more information I will offer here. I received this yesterday from the US State Department. I highly encourage anyone from USA to Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive applicable security and other conditions updates while traveling.

I highlighted the most important bits but you can read all hope this helps :

Subject From Date

Health Alert: Health Pass Requirements Expanded <citizeninfo@state.gov> Yesterday at 7:42 PM

Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Paris, France (August 9, 2021)

Event: Health Pass Requirements Expanded

As of today, August 9, a pass sanitaire (health pass) is now required in France for entry into restaurants, cafes, bars, retirement homes, and hospitals and medical providers (except in case of emergency), as well as on long-distance forms of transportation, including planes, trains, and buses, for those 18 and older. Children ages 12-17 will be required to show a health pass starting September 30.
The requirement to show a health pass to enter cultural events and sites, including museums, monuments, cinemas, and theatres; athletic facilities including gyms and swimming pools; festivals, amusement parks, nightclubs and many other establishments continues, and now applies regardless of the number of people present.

Note that this pass is NOT required for grocery stores. It is up to local prefects to decide whether the pass will be required at shopping centers larger than 20,000 square meters, based on current COVID conditions within their jurisdictions. The pass is also not required for religious services, but is required for cultural events held at churches. Finally, the Minster of Health told a French newspaper that the pass is not required to visit an internist or family doctor.

Generally, while France is permitting the use of a U.S. vaccination record (the white CDC card) for entry into France, this record is not generally accepted otherwise as a health pass.

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT provide a French health pass.

Currently the French government has not provided an official solution to obtain the health pass for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France. The Embassy has been told the French government intends to provide a solution in August for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France with vaccines that are approved for use in France. As of the time of this alert, we have no update. Once we receive official word on this, we will post the information to our website, https://fr.usembassy.gov.

Any willing French pharmacy or doctor has the ability to enter the foreign vaccination information into the French system, but many are unwilling to do so. We do not have a list of pharmacies willing to provide this service, and our information is that such lists that can be found online are subject to frequent and rapid change. Please be aware that some pharmacies and medical centers have begun referring people to the Embassy to obtain the health pass, although the Embassy has no ability to provide this French document.

As an alternative, temporary solution, a negative COVID-19 test, whether a PCR test or an antigen test, will provide a temporary health pass and QR code good for 72 hours from the time of the test.

French citizens, including dual French-U.S. citizens can request a health pass from the relevant French consulate by following the instructions indicated here. This is only available to French citizens.

Actions to Take: ·

Please remember to bring a health pass or negative COVID test if trying to access many establishments open to the public.

· French authorities require people who test positive for COVID-19 to self-isolate for 10 days and alert those with whom they have been in contact. Please refer to this link for instructions from the French Ministry of Health.

· Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms. · Please note that regardless of vaccination status, all travelers to the U.S. age 2 and above must have a negative antigen or PCR test conducted no more than three days prior to the departure of their flight into the U.S. People who test positive for COVID-19 test should selfisolate and contact their airline to delay until they have recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.

· Please refer to the CDC website for requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States. Antigen tests are acceptable.

· Visit the CDC’s website for more information.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Paris, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 CitizenInfo@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Marseille, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 CitizenInfoMarseille@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Strasbourg, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 USAStrasbourg@state.gov

State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 France Country Specific Information

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Last edited:
Whew, the terminology here can be confusing! But the French pass sanitaire is essentially the same as the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The key to making these things work is the QR code that authenticates that you've been vaccinated. Here'a Website that seems to have up-to-date information for non-EU residents on how to handle all this (sort of): https://frenchly.us/can-americans-get-a-french-pass-sanitaire/
As others have noted, the situation is in a constant state of flux.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whew, the terminology here can be confusing! But the French pass sanitaire is essentially the same as the EU Digital Covid Certificate.
Essentially yes but there is a reason for the different terminology. Unlike the EU DCC, the French pass sanitaire consists of two parts, a pass santiaire activités and a pass sanitaire frontière - a QR code to be shown for access to museums, restaurants and domestic flights and a QR code to be shown for crossing the border of other EU countries. The French government explains it here: https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/pass-sanitaire (I have the French app, btw, and an EU DCC, and I can confirm that it is so 😇)

There is still no information whatsoever on the French government websites as to how to convert an American, Canadian or Australian etc proof of vaccination into a French pass sanitaire/QR code. They only mention the conversion option for French nationals who live abroad and were vaccinated abroad, and that is an option that became available only very recently.

Social media and news media talk of ways to convert a CDC card in Paris (pharmacies, city hall, a hospital near Notre-Dame, any doctor or nurse with access to the system) and it seems both technically possible when the person who can access the system enters the right codes (basically "other" for most fields) but there is of course no verification whether the foreign card is genuine, so both ignorance, wariness and lack of official instructions may be reasons for the current situation.

Thank you, @shefollowsshells for actively trying to find out more and for sharing.

Last edited:
You need the QR code (pass sanitaire) for all interior long distance travel (train or plane) within France. But since it is not yet obtainable with a canadian proof of full vaccination, you'll have to show a negative Covid test result (48 or 72 hrs, not sure) PCR or Antigen. The weird thing is that you could get a plane from Paris to Spain only showing your proof of vaccination but since it is an interior flight, then the test is required...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... but does the negative test have to be done in France or can we do it ahead of time in Canada? I think their test will provide a QR code but not ours in Canada?? Too confusing!

... but does the negative test have to be done in France or can we do it ahead of time in Canada? I think their test will provide a QR code but not ours in Canada?? Too confusing!
Needs to be done over there and can be done upon your arrival at the airport and cheaper than in Canada. You can make an appointment directly on the Aeroport de Paris website. Then a temporary 48 hours 'pass sanitaire activité' will be generated and you'll be able to show that upon boarding for Biarritz.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my walk today I stopped at a local covid test clinic and I asked the nurse about the pass sanitaire for non French nationals vaccinated outside the EU with no QR code. Her English was excellent because my French is terrible. I showed here my CDC card, I was vaccinated with Pfizer at the VA Clinic back in March…her reply was as expected. she said “The app (French anti covid app) is supposed to be the mechanism for this by which you can scan your QR code but if, like the USA you have no QR code (like me…and vaccinated) you must wait for the French government to provide this system”. Until then her words were “Good Luck “ with a smile 😃.

The only option for US travelers for the moment is to monitor the state department or French embassy website as stated above, carry your CDC vaccine card . Same for other nationalities without a QR code monitor your government or the French embassy official web sites.

or the second (the limited )option is do a local test at any local French pharmacy /facility such get a temp QR code only good for 72hrs as per my post #13. If flying internal France or train it’s a viable option upon entry into France for the next next couple weeks but I suspect your vaccine card should suffice for now …I would say don’t panic.

My humble little opinion ..I think No point in further worry or debate as there is no other option at the moment .. there will be growing pains I think but I’m sure will see more information within a couple weeks . I have been here in France for 3 week so far no problem. From my limited experience and on the Camino Litoralle this past weekend most people wear masks upon entering a town limit or anywhere there are with a reasonable amount of people. Most do not wear it while out walking/running unless they come into a crowd Or they go inside even for a few minutes. There are bottles of sanitizer and signs everywhere in this region for indoor wear of masks. Exercise caution as always and stay say everyone …

HOT OFF THE PRESSES RECEIVED THIS A MOMENT AGO :

I will follow the instruction and submit my cdc card and report back here

Subject From Date

Health Alert: Health Pass Website and Travel Alert raised to Level 4 - Do Not Travel <citizeninfo@state.gov> Today at 2:03 PM

Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Paris, France (August 10, 2021)

Event: Two events:

· The Travel Warning for France has been raised to Level 4 – Do Not Travel · The French government has issued official instructions on how people vaccinated outside France and the European Union can obtain a French/EU Health Pass

EVENT 1: Travel Warning Change:

On August 9, the Travel Advisory for France went from Level 3 – Reconsider Travel, to Level 4 – Do Not Travel, and the Centers for Disease Control returned France to a Level 4 Travel Health Notice due to increasing COVID cases in France. The full text of the Travel Advisory is below:

Do not travel to France due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in France due to terrorism and civil unrest.

Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for France due to COVID-19 indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into France. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in France.

Country Summary: Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in France. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Demonstrations in Paris and other major cities continue in France and are expected to continue in the coming weeks. Property damage, including looting and arson, in populated tourist areas has occurred with reckless disregard for public safety. Police have responded with water cannons, rubber bullets, and tear gas. The U.S. Embassy is advising official U.S. government travelers to avoid travel to Paris and other major cities in France on the weekends.

Read the country information page.

If you decide to travel to France:

See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.

Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.

Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and large crowded public venues.

Avoid demonstrations.

Review travel plans if you will be in France on weekends.

Follow the instructions of local authorities including movement restrictions related to any ongoing police action.

Find a safe location, and shelter in place if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.

Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.

Review the Crime and Safety Report for France.

Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information. Event 2: Instructions for People Vaccinated in the U.S. to receive a French Health Pass

On August 10, the French government released instructions on how people vaccinated outside the European Union, including people vaccinated in the United States, may obtain a French Health Pass. Please see the instructions at Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists) - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr).

(The link to apply: https://gcc02.safelinks.protection....n+I9mJYDZP1dZyySfIRNFe2QyV8W5QjrQ=&reserved=0

For now, the system is open for people age 18 and above who are already in France or who are traveling to France on or before August 15. (Until September 30, the health pass is only required for people age 18 and above.) These travelers must have been fully vaccinated with the Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, or AstraZeneca vaccines outside of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, Switzerland, England, or Wales.

Travelers should apply before they come to France. Each traveler must apply separately. They will need to submit a scanned copy (in .pdf, .jpg, or .png format) of the following:

A vaccination certificate issued in accordance with the rules of their country of residence, demonstrating full vaccination with an approved vaccine; a valid passport; return airline tickets; an application form available on the website.

The email, with all attachments, cannot be over 10 MB in size.

Specific instructions are provided for how to format the request and where to send it
. If these instructions are not followed exactly, the application will not be processed. Processing time will depend on the number of inquiries received. The French government asks that people do not send follow-up emails asking for the status of the request, as this will delay the request.

For questions, please see the information, including Frequently Asked Questions and an email address for assistance, at the Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists) - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr) website. The U.S. Embassy has no access to the French system, nor can we assist in this process.

In the meantime, if you are in France or coming to France imminently and need a health pass, please be advised that rapid antigen tests conducted in France (available on a walk-in basis at local pharmacies) serve as a health pass valid for 72 hours.

Actions to Take:

Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms. Visit CDC’s website

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Paris, France (if event occurs in +33 (1) 43 12 22 22

CitizenInfo@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Marseille, France (if event occurs in Marseille CD) +33 (1) 43 12 22 22

CitizenInfoMarseille@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Strasbourg, France

+33 (1) 43 12 22 22

USAStrasbourg@state.gov State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 France Country Specific Information Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Needs to be done over there and can be done upon your arrival at the airport and cheaper than in Canada. You can make an appointment directly on the Aeroport de Paris website. Then a temporary 48 hours 'pass sanitaire activité' will be generated and you'll be able to show that upon boarding for Biarritz.
Can you provide the link that indicates that vaccinated non EU travelers are required to have a covid test for domestic travel within France? I haven’t found any statements of this.

The most important piece of information! It is a monster link.

It is the same as this link:
Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists)

And for general information, I've copied the email addresses where you have to send your application form and the required documentation if you have been vaccinated in the United States, Canada or elsewhere outside of the EU and wish to obtain a French health pass/pass sanitaire:
Applications received through other means will not be processed.​
To facilitate the processing of applications, e-mail subject lines must be set out as follows:​
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE / SURNAME First name / Date of arrival in France in the format DD-MM-YY​
Bonne chance!

Last edited:
Can you provide the link that indicates that vaccinated non EU travelers are required to have a covid test for domestic travel within France?
There has been a misunderstanding. As of yesterday, all passengers travelling within France on planes or long-distance trains must prove that they are either vaccinated or tested; and they have to prove this with the help of a QR code (digital or on paper) that is conform with the French health pass system. If you are a vaccinated non-EU traveller without such a QR code you can take a Covid test in France which will provide you with such a QR code as a temporary solution. You can then fly within France or take a train.

From the FAQ on the French government's website: Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists)

Question: I have not yet received my QR code for the vaccine certificate of equivalence and I need it to travel within France or to visit certain locations (museums, entertainment venues, restaurants, etc.), what can I do?
Answer: A temporary QR code can be generated by a healthcare professional following a negative RT-PCR or antigen test taken within the last 72 hours.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good news as per above link. As a Canadian, I have now sent in proper documents and await my QR code. Tip: the email to send to is different than the one a few days ago for French nationals abroad. And pay attention to the details...the subject line must be just right and not bigger than 10 megs overall.

Good news as per above link. As a Canadian, I have now sent in proper documents and await my QR code. Tip: the email to send to is different than the one a few days ago for French nationals abroad. And pay attention to the details...the subject line must be just right and not bigger than 10 megs overall.
Sending mine in a few minutes. Did you send as separate attachments on the one email or can one attachment with everything in it suffice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you provide the link that indicates that vaccinated non EU travelers are required to have a covid test for domestic travel within France? I haven’t found any statements of this.
I’ve never heard that either, been here two nights…not saying it’s not true, just saying this is news to me …

HOT OFF THE PRESSES RECEIVED THIS A MOMENT AGO :

I will follow the instruction and submit my cdc card and report back here

Subject From Date

Health Alert: Health Pass Website and Travel Alert raised to Level 4 - Do Not Travel <citizeninfo@state.gov> Today at 2:03 PM

Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Paris, France (August 10, 2021)

Event: Two events:

· The Travel Warning for France has been raised to Level 4 – Do Not Travel · The French government has issued official instructions on how people vaccinated outside France and the European Union can obtain a French/EU Health Pass

EVENT 1: Travel Warning Change:

On August 9, the Travel Advisory for France went from Level 3 – Reconsider Travel, to Level 4 – Do Not Travel, and the Centers for Disease Control returned France to a Level 4 Travel Health Notice due to increasing COVID cases in France. The full text of the Travel Advisory is below:

Do not travel to France due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in France due to terrorism and civil unrest.

Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for France due to COVID-19 indicating a very high level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into France. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in France.

Country Summary: Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in France. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.

Demonstrations in Paris and other major cities continue in France and are expected to continue in the coming weeks. Property damage, including looting and arson, in populated tourist areas has occurred with reckless disregard for public safety. Police have responded with water cannons, rubber bullets, and tear gas. The U.S. Embassy is advising official U.S. government travelers to avoid travel to Paris and other major cities in France on the weekends.

Read the country information page.

If you decide to travel to France:

See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.

Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.

Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and large crowded public venues.

Avoid demonstrations.

Review travel plans if you will be in France on weekends.

Follow the instructions of local authorities including movement restrictions related to any ongoing police action.

Find a safe location, and shelter in place if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.

Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.

Review the Crime and Safety Report for France.

Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information. Event 2: Instructions for People Vaccinated in the U.S. to receive a French Health Pass

On August 10, the French government released instructions on how people vaccinated outside the European Union, including people vaccinated in the United States, may obtain a French Health Pass. Please see the instructions at Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists) - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr).

(The link to apply: https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/the-ministry-and-its-network/news/2021/article/applying-for-a-covid-certificate-if-you-were-vaccinated-abroad-procedure-for&data=04|01|EppingJN@state.gov|5947feac117647f2eda008d95be1ad5a|66cf50745afe48d1a691a12b2121f44b|0|0|637641847092185842|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|1000&sdata=InG8P9zwMEn+I9mJYDZP1dZyySfIRNFe2QyV8W5QjrQ=&reserved=0

For now, the system is open for people age 18 and above who are already in France or who are traveling to France on or before August 15. (Until September 30, the health pass is only required for people age 18 and above.) These travelers must have been fully vaccinated with the Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, or AstraZeneca vaccines outside of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, Switzerland, England, or Wales.

Travelers should apply before they come to France. Each traveler must apply separately. They will need to submit a scanned copy (in .pdf, .jpg, or .png format) of the following:

A vaccination certificate issued in accordance with the rules of their country of residence, demonstrating full vaccination with an approved vaccine; a valid passport; return airline tickets; an application form available on the website.

The email, with all attachments, cannot be over 10 MB in size.

Specific instructions are provided for how to format the request and where to send it
. If these instructions are not followed exactly, the application will not be processed. Processing time will depend on the number of inquiries received. The French government asks that people do not send follow-up emails asking for the status of the request, as this will delay the request.

For questions, please see the information, including Frequently Asked Questions and an email address for assistance, at the Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists) - Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.gouv.fr) website. The U.S. Embassy has no access to the French system, nor can we assist in this process.

In the meantime, if you are in France or coming to France imminently and need a health pass, please be advised that rapid antigen tests conducted in France (available on a walk-in basis at local pharmacies) serve as a health pass valid for 72 hours.

Actions to Take:

Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms. Visit CDC’s website

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Paris, France (if event occurs in +33 (1) 43 12 22 22

CitizenInfo@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Marseille, France (if event occurs in Marseille CD) +33 (1) 43 12 22 22

CitizenInfoMarseille@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Strasbourg, France

+33 (1) 43 12 22 22

USAStrasbourg@state.gov State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 France Country Specific Information Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

I’m a British citizen, not American - but in exploring travel options outside Europe I found (quite reasonably) that my usual comprehensive travel insurance is not valid if I enter a country where the UK Government has advised against ‘all but essential travel’.

If my reading of your post is correct that may now be a more relevant concern with respect to US citizens not already in France than is the apparent inability to obtain a french QR code when you get there.

There has been a misunderstanding. As of yesterday, all passengers travelling within France on planes or long-distance trains must prove that they are either vaccinated or tested; and they have to prove this with the help of a QR code (digital or on paper) that is conform with the French health pass system. If you are a vaccinated non-EU traveller without such a QR code you can take a Covid test in France which will provide you with such a QR code as a temporary solution. You can then fly within France or take a train.

From the FAQ on the French government's website: Applying for a COVID certificate if you were vaccinated abroad (procedure for non-EU tourists)

Question: I have not yet received my QR code for the vaccine certificate of equivalence and I need it to travel within France or to visit certain locations (museums, entertainment venues, restaurants, etc.), what can I do?
Answer: A temporary QR code can be generated by a healthcare professional following a negative RT-PCR or antigen test taken within the last 72 hours.
My apologies it took me a bit and had some other things going at the same time
I submitted and received this:

Nous avons bien reçu votre demande qui sera traitée dans les meilleurs délais. Nous vous remercions de ne pas la renouveler et de ne pas envoyer des relances à cette adresse afin d’éviter de saturer le dispositif.

Merci de votre compréhension.

We acknowledge receipt of your email. We will reply as soon as possible. Please do not send your email again.

Thank you for your understanding.

Now all I can do is wait …
I apologize again as I was in a bit of a rush The first link they gave did not work ..the second at the bottom of the message worked then I had to go thru the work of reducing my pictures of JPEG to fit lower than 10 MB …on an iPad it is a bit of doing and i am not at home. . I ended up converting the pictures I took of my passport and my covid document to a PDF file it took less space ….must be less than 10MB

Please follow the directions carefully

Prepare the following documents, only in electronic format:
  1. Application form; (PDF - 27.8 ko) ;
  2. Your vaccination certificate, drawn up according to the rules of the country of vaccination, and clearly stating the type of vaccine used;
  3. Your passport;
  4. Your travel ticket (return ticket).
Send these documents (in .pdf, .jpg or .png format) by e-mail only to the relevant address based on your place of residence. Attachments in .zip format will not be processed.

To facilitate the processing of applications, e-mail subject lines must be set out as follows:

COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE / SURNAME First name / Date of arrival in France in the format DD-MM-21 For example: CANADA / DURAND Anne / DD-MM-YY

N.B.

Last edited:
Sending mine in a few minutes. Did you send as separate attachments on the one email or can one attachment with everything in it suffice.
Send one email with all documents ..follow the message as written or they will reject it

I’m a British citizen, not American - but in exploring travel options outside Europe I found (quite reasonably) that my usual comprehensive travel insurance is not valid if I enter a country where the UK Government has advised against ‘all but essential travel’.

If my reading of your post is correct that may now be a more relevant concern with respect to US citizens not already in France than is the apparent inability to obtain a french QR code when you get there.
As a rule the USA does not issue QR code’s to covid vaccinations …we are only issued the cards with dates and batch/type and where the vaccination were given. I arrived in France 17 July we were on green list French immigration checked my vaccination card and passport upon arrival and so did the airline prior to leaving USA. I personally did a PCR test because I have as a and severe allergies but was not required to do so at that time . I also did some research and looked for travel insurance with covid coverage.

Since being here in France I have had no problems I brought an adequate supply of masks with me and some hand sanitizer And other than that just try to be careful. I am mostly in the countryside not in any crowded areas so I continue to try.beyond that if I get stuck in France…who am I to complain 😃

As a side note ..my friend here are slightly under 50 years old and are still having a wait for a vaccines..several calls in the past 2 weeks and told to wait maybe next week .

Will let you all know if and when I receive the QR code.
i will leave you all with a few pictures

Attachments

• C6B0F4CA-E7B5-4520-91D2-F2DFB403C542.jpeg
    C6B0F4CA-E7B5-4520-91D2-F2DFB403C542.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 19
  • A73BCA87-ED4F-4A06-AB2F-7CBFD87FBE47.jpeg
    A73BCA87-ED4F-4A06-AB2F-7CBFD87FBE47.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1A36D28E-59F5-434B-BB35-A2FD9B3A2BEA.jpeg
    1A36D28E-59F5-434B-BB35-A2FD9B3A2BEA.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1D8DE0D0-FA5A-48A9-9DE7-2D9A969FD4E4.jpeg
    1D8DE0D0-FA5A-48A9-9DE7-2D9A969FD4E4.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 0AC8D8E9-5DA9-4192-91C1-A1B359F7760E.jpeg
    0AC8D8E9-5DA9-4192-91C1-A1B359F7760E.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That all makes sense to me in light of what I am hearing from Italy (planning to walk Via Francigena in October). I have a paper copy of my CDC vax card, plus a paper copy of a QR code sent to me by state health authorities. I cannot get a Green Pass as that is for Europeans only, but I was told by Italian consulate in San Francisco that I only need the CDC card to enter the country. Various sources tell me CDC card also can be used in place of Green Pass at restaurants, museums, etc. QR code is my back up. Have a great walk!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all the info, and for asking our question!

That all makes sense to me in light of what I am hearing from Italy (planning to walk Via Francigena in October). I have a paper copy of my CDC vax card, plus a paper copy of a QR code sent to me by state health authorities. I cannot get a Green Pass as that is for Europeans only, but I was told by Italian consulate in San Francisco that I only need the CDC card to enter the country. Various sources tell me CDC card also can be used in place of Green Pass at restaurants, museums, etc. QR code is my back up. Have a great walk!
That has now changed. All non EU visitors need this green pass effective August 9th. Open to all to apply.

The Green Pass is Italy - Certificazione Verde. The Health Pass is France - Pass Sanitaire. Everywhere else it is called EU Digital Covid Certificate - EU DCC for short.

Rules inside a country differ from the other EU Countries.

Only France has now installed a system for converting American CDC cards and other foreign vaccination cards to the French Health Pass system. Italy, Spain, Portugal haven’t done so.

€149,-
Has anyone gone through the QR Code inspection process for a TGV train ride from Paris? Are they giving the US CDC card any credit at all, or is this 100% No-you-must-show-QR-Code? Just hoping for some early-stage grace period.

I don't have the real answer on this but I suspect we will need our Canadian test or vaccine status proof to enter France, and then a test in France to travel for 48 hours. Then we will have to find out where to go to get our Canadian proof of vaccination entered into the French system. Hopefully this will be clarified soon.

Then we will have to find out where to go to get our Canadian proof of vaccination entered into the French system. Hopefully this will be clarified soon.
It is clarified already. Read @Iriebabel's posts in this thread and apply to have your Canadian proof of vaccination entered into the French system. I wouldn't wait. The early bird catches the worm.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New rules hopefully on way for US travelers into EU.

As a rule the USA does not issue QR code’s to covid vaccinations …we are only issued the cards with dates and batch/type and where the vaccination were given. I arrived in France 17 July we were on green list French immigration checked my vaccination card and passport upon arrival and so did the airline prior to leaving USA. I personally did a PCR test because I have as a and severe allergies but was not required to do so at that time . I also did some research and looked for travel insurance with covid coverage.

Since being here in France I have had no problems I brought an adequate supply of masks with me and some hand sanitizer And other than that just try to be careful. I am mostly in the countryside not in any crowded areas so I continue to try.beyond that if I get stuck in France…who am I to complain 😃

As a side note ..my friend here are slightly under 50 years old and are still having a wait for a vaccines..several calls in the past 2 weeks and told to wait maybe next week .

Will let you all know if and when I receive the QR code.
i will leave you all with a few pictures
Hi Irie! I hope your awesome longish trip to France continues to go well. I have enjoyed seeing your website pictures and hope to see more in the days to come.🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Send one email with all documents ..follow the message as written or they will reject it
Done thank you. Acknowledgement back in less than a minute. We leave Canada on the 15th of august and arrive on the 16th so hoping that does not delay our application. May book an antigen test at CDG as well to error on the side of caution. We overnight in Paris before flying on to Biarritz so have the time.

Our travels are similar..we fly and arrive to Paris from Canada on Aug 13 but fly down to Biarritz same day. Start walking from there (Camino Norte). We did apply a few hours ago for the QR code but also booked covid test inside Charles De Gaulle between flights. You can book it online easily and cancel if you have to.

Thank you for the update. Just submitted the requested documents and received a confirmation e-mail. If I receive an additional response I will let everyone know. It would be great to have this resolved quickly as my flight form the US to Paris leaves on Sunday.

Thank you for the update. Just submitted the requested documents and received a confirmation e-mail. If I receive an additional response I will let everyone know. It would be great to have this resolved quickly as my flight form the US to Paris leaves on Sunday.
lucky you...we fly in 48 hours...fingers crossed!!

I am in France currently on The Normandy coast was on the Camino Litoralle this past weekend. I will be here until October if I get more information I will offer here. I received this yesterday from the US State Department. I highly encourage anyone from USA to Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive applicable security and other conditions updates while traveling.

I highlighted the most important bits but you can read all hope this helps :

Subject From Date

Health Alert: Health Pass Requirements Expanded <citizeninfo@state.gov> Yesterday at 7:42 PM

Health Alert - U. S. Embassy Paris, France (August 9, 2021)

Event: Health Pass Requirements Expanded

As of today, August 9, a pass sanitaire (health pass) is now required in France for entry into restaurants, cafes, bars, retirement homes, and hospitals and medical providers (except in case of emergency), as well as on long-distance forms of transportation, including planes, trains, and buses, for those 18 and older. Children ages 12-17 will be required to show a health pass starting September 30.
The requirement to show a health pass to enter cultural events and sites, including museums, monuments, cinemas, and theatres; athletic facilities including gyms and swimming pools; festivals, amusement parks, nightclubs and many other establishments continues, and now applies regardless of the number of people present.

Note that this pass is NOT required for grocery stores. It is up to local prefects to decide whether the pass will be required at shopping centers larger than 20,000 square meters, based on current COVID conditions within their jurisdictions. The pass is also not required for religious services, but is required for cultural events held at churches. Finally, the Minster of Health told a French newspaper that the pass is not required to visit an internist or family doctor.

Generally, while France is permitting the use of a U.S. vaccination record (the white CDC card) for entry into France, this record is not generally accepted otherwise as a health pass.

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT provide a French health pass.

Currently the French government has not provided an official solution to obtain the health pass for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France. The Embassy has been told the French government intends to provide a solution in August for non-French citizens vaccinated outside of France with vaccines that are approved for use in France. As of the time of this alert, we have no update. Once we receive official word on this, we will post the information to our website, https://fr.usembassy.gov.

Any willing French pharmacy or doctor has the ability to enter the foreign vaccination information into the French system, but many are unwilling to do so. We do not have a list of pharmacies willing to provide this service, and our information is that such lists that can be found online are subject to frequent and rapid change. Please be aware that some pharmacies and medical centers have begun referring people to the Embassy to obtain the health pass, although the Embassy has no ability to provide this French document.

As an alternative, temporary solution, a negative COVID-19 test, whether a PCR test or an antigen test, will provide a temporary health pass and QR code good for 72 hours from the time of the test.

French citizens, including dual French-U.S. citizens can request a health pass from the relevant French consulate by following the instructions indicated here. This is only available to French citizens.

Actions to Take: ·

Please remember to bring a health pass or negative COVID test if trying to access many establishments open to the public.

· French authorities require people who test positive for COVID-19 to self-isolate for 10 days and alert those with whom they have been in contact. Please refer to this link for instructions from the French Ministry of Health.

· Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms. · Please note that regardless of vaccination status, all travelers to the U.S. age 2 and above must have a negative antigen or PCR test conducted no more than three days prior to the departure of their flight into the U.S. People who test positive for COVID-19 test should selfisolate and contact their airline to delay until they have recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.

· Please refer to the CDC website for requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States. Antigen tests are acceptable.

· Visit the CDC’s website for more information.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Paris, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 CitizenInfo@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Marseille, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 CitizenInfoMarseille@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Strasbourg, France +33 (1) 43 12 22 22 USAStrasbourg@state.gov

State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 France Country Specific Information

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

VERY informative !!! Thank you!!!
Neve

So out the gates today from Le Puy, at night number 1, bot a mention or sign of the Health pass here in this town. Ate at our cute gite, owner was wearing a mask and told me if I’m vaccinated I didn’t need to. Just sharing that I have no new updates, but looks like some AMAZING advice and links have been shared. I’ll keep my “ boots on the ground”, or “ Hokas on the ground” updates, but the the true detailed information shared is going to be way more important to know than what I’m sharing, which is more of what I hear, see and witness. If things get implemented with fines attached attitudes can change quickly among restaurant owners I should assume. Disclaimer I’ve heard no word of fines!!! Just assuming something will take place for implementation purposes!!!
Neve

Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I can't help with the international travel passes but I live in the Dordogne and met friends for lunch yesterday... We needed our pass before we were allowed to sit down... After our meal we went for a coffee elsewhere and again all our passes were scanned before we could sit. Here at least around Périgueux they are scanning for vaccines.

I have also started work again after 18 months (yeah)... On our cruise gigs we must show our pass and take an antigen test before boarding... We had a public concert at the weekend and all those attending needed the pass and their hands were stamped.

This is a tourist area so perhaps its more strict? But the requirement to show our pass wasn't optional. My friend has a UK vaccine and to start her QR code wasn't accepted... The restaurant were about to turn her away but we knew it worked so they both refreshed their screens and all was OK.

I can't speak for other areas of course but here... I would say expect to be asked?

Buen camino everyone ❤️

I applied yesterday as a Canadian and received my health pass QR code today...I'm good to go!
I applied as well yesterday and have only received the confirmation that it was received. Hoping…

I got about 18 hours later...I'm sure you will get today. It comes in a pdf which you can just print out OR it scans nicely into their ToutAntiCovid app.
What day do you arrive? We are the 16th so perhaps that is why it is delayed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
that is possible, we fly out tomorrow overnight and arrive in Paris Fri AM the 13th
Funny I am already here in France 3 weeks applied yesterday same time and have not received mine yet hopeful for today as well. Good luck with your travels and Buen Camino !

Funny I am already here in France 3 weeks applied yesterday same time and have not received mine yet hopeful for today as well. Good luck with your travels and Buen Camino !
Did you receive your QR code?

The EU certificate served as the magic door-opener at the airport at each end: no Covid tests required, we just showed the certificates and got on the plane. In France itself, the certificate proved necessary to get into some museums but nobody asked for it in hotels and restaurants. Not needed on trains or buses either.
It is my understanding that the EU certificate is needed on some trains, for example on the TGV. I'll be taking it to Le Puy in September so I'll report back.

Did you receive your QR code?
As of this morning 9:44 am France time No I did not receive it yet. I am trying not to speculate 🧐 if it is a verification or volume as in too many at one time issue and we are not allowed to inquire… so maybe hurrying to wait is normal with such things
Maybe today is the day 👍🏼🤷🏽‍♀️😃 will let you know

Last edited:
As of this morning 9:44 am France time No I did not receive it yet. I am trying not to speculate 🧐 if it is a verification or volume as in too many at one time issue and we are not allowed to inquire… so maybe hurrying to wait is normal with such things
Still waiting too here 😉

Any news on your code? Still nothing on my end.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any news on your code? Still nothing on my end.
Nothing yet …I was hoping. I was reading the website and it said it may take some time to verify I guess we have no choice but to practice Camino patience …if you are flying soon do not worry you do not need it to fly into the country. Use you official government vaccine issued card and the attestation form Provided by the airlines.

If you do not get the QR by the time I would suggest you make an appointment To do a antigen test once you get in country (at CDG) or any pharmacy/place where testing are done. You can also find testing locations near you via the DepistageCovid (Covid Testing) map (https://www.sante.fr/cf/carte-depistage-covid.html) or (https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html). that will give you a temporary code that will give you 72 hrs of internal travel and restaurant cultural site access….

You can still access supermarkets without the QR code so no worries and a Buen Camino …I guess no restaurants for me this weekend if I do not get it 😁 but I am ok with that

Last edited:
I will be flying in from the US. When filling out the attestation form, what is the final destination….Biarritz, SJPdP, SdC, or Madrid which is where I will fly home from. I am not sure what they are looking for as to final destination. Anyone know for sure? Thanks

Hot off the presses, from my local Metro News Media paper:
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says fully vaccinated Canadians will soon be able to get a government document that will certify their COVID-19 vaccine history for the purpose of international travel.

The document, expected to be ready by the fall, will be digital, with an option for those who can't or don't want a digital certificate.

Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.
Our (6 women all vaccinated) group have plans to depart Dallas on sept 6. Arrive paris sept 7. Fly to Lyon same day. Rent a vehicle and start in Saugues (GR65) the following day.
We have submitted information to the French government to obtain the health pass online before we travel since we now need that for the flight from paris to Lyon.
My question is -has anyone submitted their request online and also received the QR code back yet?
I have received auto response from the French government acknowledging receipt but no indication of turn around time.
just curious. Thank you!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our (6 women all vaccinated) group have plans to depart Dallas on sept 6. Arrive paris sept 7. Fly to Lyon same day. Rent a vehicle and start in Saugues (GR65) the following day.
We have submitted information to the French government to obtain the health pass online before we travel since we now need that for the flight from paris to Lyon.
My question is -has anyone submitted their request online and also received the QR code back yet?
I have received auto response from the French government acknowledging receipt but no indication of turn around time.
Those already in France or scheduled to arrive by August 15th are able to apply for the pass at this time. I would check in next week to see when these dates are updated. For travel prior to August 15th it appears to be about an 18 hour turn around time.

I submitted my request Tuesday as I am departing the US on Sunday and have not received a reply. My understanding is that the French are prioritizing individuals already in country and then scheduled to travel in the coming days first based on how you needed to submit the request. I will let you know when I hear back.

I will be flying in from the US. When filling out the attestation form, what is the final destination….Biarritz, SJPdP, SdC, or Madrid which is where I will fly home from. I am not sure what they are looking for as to final destination. Anyone know for sure? Thanks
Without looking if I recall correctly I entered the address (city) where I was staying as I am staying with friends. I believe it said final destination (meaning in France I think)so I would put your final destination as a travel point where you are to start (as in where you will sleep your first night) in France use the name of the city and maybe the place you are staying with the name of the Camino enroute to Santiago de Compostela Spain ?? (just for good measure as you are on the move in case of contact tracing. That would be my best guess. Or at least it can’t hurt 😃

€46,-
Without looking if I recall correctly I entered the address (city) where I was staying as I am staying with friends. I believe it said final destination (meaning in France I think)so I would put your final destination as a travel point where you are to start (as in where you will sleep your first night) in France use the name of the city and maybe the place you are staying with the name of the Camino enroute to Santiago de Compostela Spain ?? (just for good measure as you are on the move in case of contact tracing. That would be my best guess. Or at least it can’t hurt 😃
Thank You!

What did you decide. I have to fill mine out soon. Probably putting Madrid.

In addition to the valuable first hand experience of forum members who sent in their application to have their US or Canadian vaccination document converted to a QR code for the French health pass system, here is a link to https://parisbymouth.com/how-to-transform-your-american-vaccination-card-into-a-french-health-pass/ with up to date information about this issue. Quote from today:

Here’s where things stand right now:
Since August 9 the official advice for travelers is to compile and submit a dossier by email [...]. During the first two days, most people (see below) received a positive response within 12-24 hours. By day three, the wait times were lengthening and at this point many people have received no reply after 24-72 hours (see below). Our assumption is that there has been a flood of applications and that these are no longer being processing quickly.
Some readers who experienced a longer wait then they imagined went back and realized that they hadn’t correctly formatted the subject line in the very specific manner that is required, and they resubmitted. It seems important to pay close attention to the required format.
If you’ve tried to do this, or have had success getting a pass sanitaire through some other method, please drop us a comment or send an email (we’ve put an easy form for that below) so we can share your experience with others. Scroll down to read feedback from fellow travelers.
You can find further up-to-date crowd sourced advice from readers on the parisbymouth.com website, including reassuring comments that American CDC cards are still widely accepted in Paris for access to restaurants and TGV trains, and that such travellers are not routinely turned away.

Last edited:
I have added my information to the above mentioned website parisbymouth. I had wondered if being a Canadian citizen with an American CDC card would be an issue in obtaining a QR code. Thankfully it was not.

I also recd this message for all 3 train reservations i have.

Hello,

We'd like to confirm your train 5224 on 16/08/2021. It will run as scheduled between CHARLES DE GAULLE 2 TGV and MASSY TGV stations.

The Health Pass is compulsory on-board TGV INOUI, OUIGO, INTERCITES (with mandatory reservation) and long-distance international trains departing from or arriving in France.

Your pass can be checked at any time during the journey: while boarding, on board, on arrival.

For travelers aged between 12 to 17, this obligation will only apply from September 30th.

Please visit the French Government’s website for more details.

Specific information for travelers to and from abroad is available on Coming-to-France.

We remind you that, for the safety of all, wearing a mask remains mandatory for passengers over 11 years old, whether they are vaccinated or not, upon entering the station, on the platform and on board all SNCF trains.

We thank you for your cooperation and wish you a pleasant journey.

SNCF team

My husband and I applied on Tuesday morning and received my code about 6 hours ago. My husband received his within 18 hours of applying and after waiting two days for mine I decided to resubmit. I think because the applications were sent in on the same email perhaps the second one was ignored/deleted? Take note that it is perhaps wise to submit on separate email addresses.

My husband and I applied on Tuesday morning and received my code about 6 hours ago. My husband received his within 18 hours of applying and after waiting two days for mine I decided to resubmit. I think because the applications were sent in on the same email perhaps the second one was ignored/deleted? Take note that it is perhaps wise to submit on separate email addresses

an update from a “ boots on the ground “ perspective in FRANCE!!!! I don’t have the wifi or time to read the thread and apologize but wanted to share first hand things here…
I continue to love this Camino have had no problems at all with my US CDC cards and to me moods are happy, much joy, and not feeling any “ pandemic” social decline.
Two days ago a small food market only let three people in at a time in Saint Privat d’ Allier ( if I’m honest that’s the most I’ve been “ inconvenienced” , for lack of a better word to describe it) by Covid procedure here…
I witnessed one of my favorite places to eat in Monistrol “ Le pain Sucre” ask to see a French couple’s Sanitary Pass, it was shown and they took a table. That night in Sauges at the campsite where we checked in for the Communal Gite they asked for mine. I showed him the CDC card and I could tell he really wasn’t certain how to handle it , but that lasted a second and we were told where to go to get to the gite. Last night I was asked for it at our gite and the same, a quick kind of taking it all in and checked in!!! Also a post office was allowing only two at a time…

***** What I did want to share was camping in Saint Alban sir Limagnole DID just turn away two people we know because they don’t have it BUT they had a negative test done “ three days ago”…. but here’s why they were turned away… the three days is not from the moment you check in but needs to be from the moment you leave, so good till you depart the location…

I received my pass a few minutes ago will provide more details later not in good Wi-Fi at the moment
Ok so now I had a chance to look at the pass. There was only a single file attached to the email and no further instructions included.
I was able to easily download the attached file to my googleDrive as a back up and clicked to have it available offline . I also took a screenshot of it and save it in my pictures as a favorite for easy access . Nothing remarkable about it have my personal detail day of birth, name country and type of vaccine and such. I decided at this time to not upload it to french Covid sanitare app because I really don’t want my personal data floating around Europe although they say it won’t (I’m a sceptic I guess ). If they require me to upload it I will but until then I will open the QR code as a static photo display not attached to the app.
Short video of where I am today. A little west of St Malo, France
Best of luck to all and buen camino

View attachment trim.28D8A19C-A0E0-44E5-87EA-55BDE3DD3B98.MOV

Attachments

• 1D41A754-88FB-4A7C-875D-6E527CB6DF53.jpeg
    1D41A754-88FB-4A7C-875D-6E527CB6DF53.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
We are in Biarritz now ... last night the restaurants were full.... thousands out in the cafes....no masks; but we were asked for the QR code in each place, so presumably everyone was vaccinated.

Done thank you. Acknowledgement back in less than a minute. We leave Canada on the 15th of august and arrive on the 16th so hoping that does not delay our application. May book an antigen test at CDG as well to error on the side of caution. We overnight in Paris before flying on to Biarritz so have the time.
Could you let us know when you get the QR Code? Our arrival date is Aug 19, we applied yesterday and anxiously awaiting.

I applied on Aug 10 and got it next day. Others seem to be saying it takes longer, we were lucky. And you really need it in France. Tomorrow, we walk into Spain.

Could you let us know when you get the QR Code? Our arrival date is Aug 19, we applied yesterday and anxiously awaiting.
Received my husbands within 18 hours...mine took 3 days. Applied August 10 (tuesday am) and received my code August 13 in the wee hours of the morning. You will no doubt have an approval by Monday.

€46,-
As a Canadian it is my understanding you have to register with the Spanish health authorities and you upload you vaccination status and they give you a QR code. It is also the link you need should you get sick in Spain. The app is SpTH. Go one and follow directives. What I am not sure about is transmitting from Montreal to Frankfurt if this Spanish QR is the key for entry. Of course I will have my vaccination proof as well.

I applied on Tuesday and am still waiting for the code. I arrive in Paris early Monday morning. I am a little nervous, as I am scheduled to fly to Biarritz later in the day and unsure if I will need it when I transfer flights in Paris. From reviewing the air france website it looks like I should be ok. I am also looking into getting covid tested at the airport yet it does not appear the test can be pre booked ahead of time as of now. If anything changes I will let everyone know. pen to any suggestions or solutions.

As a Canadian it is my understanding you have to register with the Spanish health authorities and you upload you vaccination status and they give you a QR code. It is also the link you need should you get sick in Spain. The app is SpTH. Go one and follow directives. What I am not sure about is transmitting from Montreal to Frankfurt if this Spanish QR is the key for entry. Of course I will have my vaccination proof as well.
The Spanish App only applies to flights into Spain. We arrive in france and walk into Spain so I don't think we need it? Anyone know one way or the other for sure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Spanish App only applies to flights into Spain. We arrive in france and walk into Spain so I don't think we need it? Anyone know one way or the other for sure.
You don't need the Spanish app and you don't need the Spanish SpTH QR code if you fly to France and walk into Spain. The Spanish SpTH code is of no use outside of an airport or seaport in Spain.

It says so on the website about the SpTH form: "At the present time it is not mandatory to present any form if the trip to Spain is by land."

Last edited:
What did you decide. I have to fill mine out soon. Probably putting Madrid.
I applied on Tuesday and am still waiting for the code. I arrive in Paris early Monday morning. I am a little nervous, as I am scheduled to fly to Biarritz later in the day and unsure if I will need it when I transfer flights in Paris. From reviewing the air france website it looks like I should be ok. I am also looking into getting covid tested at the airport yet it does not appear the test can be pre booked ahead of time as of now. If anything changes I will let everyone know. pen to any suggestions or solutions.
I will be doing the same trip….Paris to Biarritz on 8/25. I applied on Friday. I look forward to hearing about your experience. Fingers crossed for you.

Have been traveling Le Puy Camino since third week in July. We have had no problem using CDC vax card in place of French QR in even small towns. It is an acceptable alternative. If you come from a state, like NYC, that offers a QR prob wouldn’t hurt to load it on your phone but I wouldn’t spend valuable time chasing the tail of French bureaucracy which seems to have punted on non-EU QR .

I could not fly from Paris to Biarritz day before yesterday without the QR code...and in Biarriz, we enterred at least 10 cafes...each one demaned and scanned the QR code; as did our hotel in Biarritz and St Jean de Luz last night. We have now walked into Spain and are in Irun...no issue walking in, no guards at boarder -- no proof needed....home free in Spain.

I could not fly from Paris to Biarritz day before yesterday without the QR code...and in Biarriz, we enterred at least 10 cafes...each one demaned and scanned the QR code; as did our hotel in Biarritz and St Jean de Luz last night.
That's interesting to read that they scanned your French health pass QR code and did not just look at it for a visual check.

I have the French verification app on my iPhone. When it scans a non-compatible QR code, it now produces an ugly piercing sound.

Earlier versions of this French QR verification app only silently displayed something that told you that the QR code was not valid.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Weekend On the ground over the weekend experience. I have my QR code (late Friday) as an American but my French friends did not have theirs as they did not have the vaccine as yet they have been in the “queue“ and received a first dose as of Sunday.

From coffee shops for a morning cuper and croissant (sitting outside) to small restaurants (again sitting outside) We were asked for the code. But I must say it was all so inconsistant. Many shop keepers grumbled and complained (they seem to disagree with the process) it seem to be more work as they asked for the QR code. Some say ok if you are outside and away from others while other will turn you away.

I was in a very Tourist town crammed with people close to Lunch time. My friends did not yet have their QR and they would be turned away I have my CDC card but have confirmation of waiting for QR code so “all for one, one for all” we went inside to a small bakery to order a sandwich and was not asked for anything…then went outside to sit and eat. We were half way finished Here came a different person who now asked for the pass ..she did not ask my French friends, only me( and in French),

I said I am American I do not speak French very well she replied rather impatiently and snarky “ don’t worry I speak good English”. I said ok I have my vaccine (CDC) card and she replied” I do not know what that is …I said well this is the official COVID vaccination record of USA we do not have a QR code but I wait for one I can show you the confirmation email from French government..she said “no no I can check so she walked away with it and came back and said ok. At no time did she challenge my French friends or any other person around me for said Covid QR code. Maybe she just assumed we were all Americans because my friends said nothing …(🤔😜). I did notice from then on she turned away several people at the entrance to the outside tables for not having one.

Side note As I understand it at one point on Saturday the antiCovid App had major system crash at one point but was quickly fixed within hours.

Forward to Sunday Morning in a different town I now had my QR code now, my friends still had nothing as their appointment for vaccine was in the late afternoon, we had to take our coffee to go this time and drink it on the side walk not sitting outside at the tables.

Later after the my friend received their first vaccine jab we were able to sit inside a restaurant (all be it empty) to eat dinner and felt a bit liberated as we use our QR code’s ( the covid pass app was fixed from saturday). By the way I used the picture of the QR that I had saved in my favorite it worked perfectly I did not need to use the French app…really up to you if you want the contact tracing

Things here are still fluid but the point is if you were vaccinated outside EU In France you will need the QR code if you are French you need a QR code and soon you may/ will need in large supermarkets. Wear of masks are mandatory in town -especially in areas with many people,outdoor markets and indoors. most places have sanitizer at the entrance but I would say carry a small bottle of your own. Be safe everyone

Last edited:
we had to take our coffee to go this time and drink it on the side walk not sitting outside at the tables
Is this common view to see people bringing their coffee to the sidewalk? Maybe bringing their plates with food and eating right off the tarmac? Can someone please wake me up...

Is this common view to see people bringing their coffee to the sidewalk? Maybe bringing their plates with food and eating right off the tarmac? Can someone please wake me up...
I think maybe more often until everyone gets the QR if so they choose Or take it back to your car/hotel.
No QR code we had to take the coffee in a “to go” cup. You are not allowed to sit in the cafe but I had a nice view just the same you can see in the pictures here the coffee shop just down on the right …I think I had the better view 👍🏼🤔😃D4C3CB80-84E4-4756-9A77-65F6471DD716.jpeg

Last edited:
Gorgeous view! Bon Chemin! :)

Well, we have drive-through 'restaurants', now we will have walk-through restaurants :)
Pilgrims who don't have a code yet should carry an extra large poncho so that in case of rain they can have their menu del dia inside :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back