• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health problems en route

Kerryman

Blisters, Diarrhea, swollen joints, sunburn, fever, etc. -Which health problems can be expected, and which of them can be managed and which would endanger going on at all?

Curious,
Kerryman

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Health on the Camino

Blisters, Diarrhea, swollen joints, sunburn, fever, etc. -Which health problems can be expected, and which of them can be managed and which would endanger going on at all?

All of the above can be a problem. All can be managed or lived with. Sensible precautions are are:
1. not to wear new shoes and to take things easy the first week, bad blisters can really be a problem.
2. wear sunscreen and drink plenty of water to protect from sunburn and dehydration.
3. some of us get mild diarrhea every foreign holiday and usually it lasts a few days at the begining as the body adjusts, if it is the real thing you may have to say somewhere for a few days to recover.
4. swollen joints can be from pushing to hard, slow down.
For any serious accident or illness the Spanish medical system is very good and if you know you may have a serious weakness make sure you have a mobile phone and the emergency services number to hand.
Buen camino
William

I would agree with William's comments.

I think 'Spanish tummy' used to be much more of a problem than it is nowadays, because outsiders were not used to the Spanish/Mediterranean style of cooking (lots of olive oil, etc). With Spanish restaurants in many towns, and ready-made meals in the supermarket and so on, non-Spanish digestions are now fully used to it.

In my experience the most problematic of the more common mishaps are the muscular ones. It's quite easy to slip and pull a muscle or similar, which could well put you out of action for a week or two. You then have to decide whether to stay where you are, go somewhere else (lie on a beach perhaps?) or go home till it improves. Your answer will no doubt depend on what other commitments you have.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are many things that can happen which are not good for your (fysical) health. I had a small first-aid kitt with me. There are a lot of "farmacia's", docters along the way, so there's no need to take a lot of pills, plasters etc.

Personally I'd say... listen to your body!

Maybe have some walks with your backpack (pack the bag as you would while walking), where the shoes, socks etc that you want to use.

William Marques said:
drink plenty of water to protect from sunburn and dehydration.
There are special sachets with "powder" (in Holland they're called ORS) which you can put into your water once or twice a week. They are full with minerals and salt, which help to prevent dehydration. Or eat some salty nuts, especially when it's very hot and you sweat a lot.

Also... you might want to think about buying your water. There are enough water places along the way, but not everybody reacts well to the water. Not that the water isn't good, but your body might have some problems with it, which can cause diarrhea or stomag aches.

But again... listen to your body and feel what it needs and does not need.

Shamanca said:
There are special sachets with "powder" (in Holland they're called ORS) which you can put into your water once or twice a week. They are full with minerals and salt, which help to prevent dehydration. Or eat some salty nuts, especially when it's very hot and you sweat a lot.

um, these are really 2 separate things with the same cause: when you walk in hot weather and sweat a lot, you lose both water and salt. The way to prevent dehydration (loss of water) is to drink more: fill up before you set out in the morning, and carry plenty of water with you. Avoid alcohol until you reach your destination as, contrary to the claims of certain brewers, it increases dehydration.
You may well also need to increase your salt intake; there are tablets you can take, or simply ask for salt when you're in a bar or restaurant, and add some to your food or drink. Don't overdo it though, as too much salt is bad for you too :?

Shamanca said:
listen to your body and feel what it needs and does not need.

I agree in general, but one thing that the body seems to have no way of communicating is an imbalance of salt, though cramp often means a lack of salt is affecting the proper functioning of the muscles.

Speaking in general, I quite agree that all illnesses and pains that one usually develops on the Camino are temporary.
But speaking in particular, I know that some are so troublesome or take so long in curing that -given a usual time window for the Camino- one may have to give up.

I just remembered a very nasty one I was actually disposed toward myself, a stress weakening ('marching fracture') of the middle foot bones, which I then avoided by making the right choice of hiking boots.

And I remember a guy from South America who flew back with knee joints and ankles so swollen, he had lost all confidence they would ever carry him on.

These load and structure stress reactions are often related to overweight, both of the body and the rucksack. And -come to think of it- I think these are the most serious and longest lasting health problems that can occur en route.

Hope this helps anyone.

Claus

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back