• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heart Attack on the Camino Portuguese

suzie Gibbons

Time of past OR future Camino
Future- April 2017
Sad news today, I am walking the Portuguese Camino, staying in. Pontevedra and an English guy around 60yrs had a massive heart attack and fell from on his top bunk last night and was dead for at least 10 minutes. Paramedics came eventually and go his heart going again after another 10 minutes and took him to hospital. This morning we heard he's in intensive care but don't think he'll make it.
The lady who had walked with him yesterday said he was fit, didn't complain of anything untoward and was not on any medication. Needless to say all pilgrims leaving the albergue this morning had heavy hearts . I guess when your time is up, it's up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sad news - heart attack bad enough but just the fall can kill you!

Does this mean that no one offered cpr or mouth to mouth until the paramedics arrived?? That he lay there for ten minutes without help?

please to tell more ...

incidentally - I know that no one really wants to drink water before going to bed - but the effort during the day is dehydrating and there is a significantly less chance of suffering stroke or heart attack in bed if one has had enough water - even better is to add a large glass of good red wine as that thins the blood.

I do hope that he survives - my thoughts with him.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll second David's thoughts. Perhaps the major Pilgrim Offices could include a small CPR card with credentials. While Europe has wonderful emergency health services, they may not always be readily available or a pilgrim may be on a remote part of the trail. I've always felt caring for each other and ourselves until professional help arrives is the best philosophy.

Sad news - heart attack bad enough but just the fall can kill you!

Does this mean that no one offered cpr or mouth to mouth until the paramedics arrived?? That he lay there for ten minutes without help?

please to tell more ...

incidentally - I know that no one really wants to drink water before going to bed - but the effort during the day is dehydrating and there is a significantly less chance of suffering stroke or heart attack in bed if one has had enough water - even better is to add a large glass of good red wine as that thins the blood.

I do hope that he survives - my thoughts with him.
It is incredibly sad to hear about these incidents. Hopefully he pulls through and hopefully didn’t suffer any brain damage. 10 minutes is a long time. It would be ideal for everyone walking the Camino to take a CPR course.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband just finished the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path in Wales and kept findng these (and other prominently placed defibrillators) all over the place.
View attachment 36503
I just heard a story on BBC about these defibrillators, and how many people are hesitant to use them, because they are afraid of hurting someone by giving them the shock. But the way that they work the machine is able to monitor the patient and only delivers the shock when it is necessary. Once it detects a heartbeat it will no longer continue delivering a shock. So no one should be afraid of hurting someone by using one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sending my thoughts and prayers, both to the person who had the Heart attack and to his family.....May he be in the Hands of our Father.....Susanawee.

I just heard a story on BBC about these defibrillators, and how many people are hesitant to use them, because they are afraid of hurting someone by giving them the shock. But the way that they work the machine is able to monitor the patient and only delivers the shock when it is necessary. Once it detects a heartbeat it will no longer continue delivering a shock. So no one should be afraid of hurting someone by using one.
I've made a very short documentary about using them and they are really easy to use. Better to have two people on site though. One reading the manual and the other one handling it. I persisted to film it with people that didn't know anything (in pairs which met for the first time) about the usage just to picture as it is. And the results were astonishing even to the instructors when two "right" persons were cooperating.

Same can be done with CPR, one massaging heart and the other one giving "fake breath" (can't remember the right expression right now, it's direct translation, sorry) and then changing positions because it's quite physically demanding in such stressful moments.

I know we kind of avert from knowing this. I think it's part of a Catholic upbringing and attitude to death but really to live another few decades with knowing that you have saved a life is quite a reward. Or think of the opposite...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is really really useful information and should be much more widely publicised. I would never have used one as I’d have been terrified I was going to kill someone who’s heart was still beating. Thanks for posting this.

Another pilgrim - a German, slightly older gentleman whom I met very briefly, had a heart attack on the Portugues three or four weeks ago. I believe he was operated on and had a stent inserted. Before I left Santiago I heard he was ok tho’ in intensive care. I don’t suppose anyone knows anything about him or how he is. He was walking with another gentleman and in the company of an older couple.
It does highlight that we should all probably have some idea of how to deal with this situation - especially as we are often in isolated areas a long way from help. Thanks to those posting technical advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like the idea of CPR cards/(paper instructions) being provided along with your credencial or just having a basic first aid booklet in your backpack.
If anyone is in a situation which requires one to use an AED machine (defibrillators) they are very "user friendly" and will actually voice prompt you how and what to do when utilizing them.
It seems like each season (year) there are story's like this on each Camino. When my time comes I would hope to "go" while on a Camino....

Just a gentle reminder, you can't learn CPR from a video, a card, a post or the like. You do need proper instructions/a course AND, most importantly, hands on experience with a dummie. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I endorse this. The machines won't work unless you follow the simple steps in the instructions. Apparently they can detect if defribulation is not required, presumably by detecting a heartbeat,and won't deliver a shock in these circumstances.

Can I also recommend a physical for anyone considering a camino. There are risk factors other than obvious obesity that can cause a heart attack, such as high cholesterol, and these can be identifed via blood tests.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue have said that the man in question was given a pacemaker and had been conscious after the operation, but haven't heard anything since, so fingers crossed
Thank you for letting us know.

Thanks as well for following up on this incident. I guess if he has a pacemaker that is a better sign than not being alive to have one installed.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back