• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heat is back…

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Friendly reminder its heating up again- next week high 30s in Galicia. A few very tired pilgrims last couple of days and , surprisingly, a lack of fuentes since Sarria. Stay safe people. Go well.
The current forecast for Lisbon is for mid-30s Celsius for a week from Thursday. Up to 37 (98-99 Fahrenheit) on Sunday.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We're in Zubiri at the moment, warm, thunderstorms and occasional rain all day. For those starting next week, low 30s Tuesday week to 37 Friday week
Buen Camino Isabel. ❤️We follow you at the end of this month.

Oh dear ! We are starting on the Camino Portugues interior on Sunday 17th July, from Ponte de Lima, northwards. I am worried about how many water fountains we will come across, or not on the way. Any tips are welcome ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The current forecast for Lisbon is for mid-30s Celsius for a week from Thursday. Up to 37 (98-99 Fahrenheit) on Sunday.
IPMA (Portuguese Weather Service) is showing 40C and 40+ for points north from Lisbon.

Walkers of the Central: take care, take lots of water, and keep shaded if possible! The first few days through the farmland are pretty brutal.

Oh dear ! We are starting on the Camino Portugues interior on Sunday 17th July, from Ponte de Lima, northwards. I am worried about how many water fountains we will come across, or not on the way. Any tips are welcome ?
Honestly take what you need for the day. Many are off / broken for whatever reason and can’t be relied upon. And seriously go early and try to finish by 1pm or 2pm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Honestly take what you need for the day. Many are off / broken for whatever reason and can’t be relied upon. And seriously go early and try to finish by 1pm or 2pm.
The Crazy heat wave that hit us all late May - early June walkers on CF well into Meseta.... (one day I saw a Pharmacia displaying 44! 🥵 ) .... I usually would fill my 3L camelback to about 2.5 and if I started around 6:30am and was done by indicated time - it would carry me through the walk.
Usually that would be around 20km mark, perhaps stretching it to 25 max.

2 times that I did ran out were both 30+km and I got lucky both times as I was right on the outskirts of the daily destination town\village.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They are now forecasting 44/45 (hottest time of the day) for next Monday/Tuesday in Barquinha, which is the north end of the flats in the Tagus (Tejo) valley. The 4 days or so south of this (beginning of the Portuguese Central, out of Lisbon) are probably the hottest of the main Portuguese caminho.

Hottest time of day is usually from about 3 pm to 7 pm. After 11 am or so, very very hot and in the agricultural stretches, no shade anywhere. Plan your walking accordingly.

I am more inclined to believe the Portuguese weather service (IPMA) than the BBC on Portuguese weather predictions.

1657293059100.png
Take care and bom caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's something weird about that forecast, Ivar. Out of curiosity I gooled a few cities and got results like this.
Just for info: The various weather models are sometimes in conflict with each other when the predictability is low. A TV weather forecast to which I listen may occasionally say that according to Reading (UK) tomorrow’s weather will be so and so while according to Offenbach (Germany) it will be so and so. The closer the day for which a forecast is made the more likely it is that the various models coincide and predict the same weather but that is not always the case.

The fact that people often don’t pay attention to the predictability quotient is the reason why they say that the forecast was “all wrong”. Well, it wasn’t. They just didn’t know how to read it.

Here’s an example for next week where a Europe wide heatwave is expected. As you can see there are still signifanct differences between the various models (= differently coloured graphs) for Leon for example: currently predicted max temp lies between 35 °C and 40 °C on some days.

This is a major reason why I often prefer to also consult national or local weather forecasts such as Aemet for Spain or even Meteo Galicia instead of international ones when it matters to me.

(From Meteoblue)
7E7E3B76-E15D-4B4A-BBD7-0D5A4ADD62F3.jpeg

Landed in santiago today. 35 degrees, felt nearly unbearable to this irish man. 40 degrees c tomorrow (104f!) and will be that high for three days. Mad (and dangerous) temperatures to be walking in. Headed for La Coruña, 21 degrees, felt almost chilly in comparison and it's only 70km away. Going to ribadeo this week to walk Camino do mar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, my 2 friends and I have planned and pre-booked accommodation, leaving from Ponte de Lima on Sunday 17th July. Let's pray the weather cools down a tad. This is the first camino for all 3 of us. We have all lived in very hot parts of Africa, so the heat is not too shocking for our bodies but I'm mainly worried about being short of water along the way if the fountains are not functioning.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back