• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heat wave - anxious

jojo1555

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
Hi everyone- so excited for my 2nd Camino. First was 5/2016. Walked entire way w/o using rain coat or fleece. Wondering if I really need them for 2 week trip starting tomorrow - Logroño to??? Concerned about heat wave carrying more than I need or leaving behind what I do. Thanks in advance - BUEN CAMINO

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You sure will not need the fleece. A silk liner or the sleeping bag liner is also all you will need. Keep your arms covered and your legs too. If not with pants with lots of sunscreen. I walked on the VIa de la Plata in October and the temperature for the first 10 days was in the low 30's. I wore a long sleeve t-shirt that had UV protection and was very light. I also wore very light pants that were also quick dry. I did not feel hotter in any of these clothes. Had a baseball cap that had an attachable hood that covered my neck and face from Outdoor Research that was great. Carried 3 liters of water as there are very, very long sections that have no towns or services. I alway started early. About 7 and i had cold water every day to drink and cool down with. Get one of those reflective UV umbrellas and carry ONLY what is absolutely necessary. You should be able to have a pack that is no more than 6 or 7 kilos at the most. Mine was 8 kilos but I had warm weather clothes as I was walking into mid December. Leave early stay hydrated and plan. Don't push yourself. Especially on the Meseta. FInd places that have shade to rest. If you think you can go another 1k or so to rest and you are tired and there is shade stop there. On the VDLP there were times I had to huddle beside one of those stone walls to find a little shade.
I think if the temperatures as as high as they are now you should be off the camino no later than 1PM.
When you stop if you are lucky enough to find a cafe with indoor air conditioning sit there and not outside.
Remember pack super light. You are not walking in a jungle or desert. If you need something you can buy it along the way.

I will be in the Provence from mid of next week for vacay. Forecasted temperatures around 35°C / 95F.

Will get up early, take a break on the noon for 3-4 hours, drink a lot of water and take electrolytes.
On the afternoons (16:00 and later) I'll be on my way again.
Nothing bad about warm weather, you will see me wearing long pants and a T-Shirt and hat. Just beat the heat! If it's too bad, I will take a swim on the Côte d'Azure. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I did the Camino Frances this June and the only times I needed my thin fleece, vest jacket and waterproof was in the mountains for the Pyrenees and O Cebreiro, but when I needed them they were absolutely necessary. I had a sleeping bag liner the whole trip never needed a full sleeping bag. I second the point on the umbrella I had a reflective umbrella and used it on the Meseta to avoid heatstroke, also always finished walking for the day by 1pm

I live on the meseta. Everyone is rising early these days, to get the outdoor work done while the breeze is still blowing and the sun is low. It's downright lovely outside in the early hours, if a little dusty. If you have a face mask left over from Covid, think about wearing that, for your lungs' sake.

My advice to pilgrims is to be sure to wear a hat, or cover your head and shade your face somehow. I am always amazed at the number of pilgrims who expose their delicate scalps to the full force of July sunshine! Crazy!

Also, please please be very careful in farm fields. Most of the grain is harvested now, but there are still standing crops of sunflowers and some rye and oats and soy, and a whole lot of straw. It is crispy dry, and a HUGE fire hazard. If you smoke, do NOT fling your butts into the ditches! If you're camping, say no to the stove... and a campfire is right out! Even if you're just taking a break in the shade, make sure your glasses are also out of the direct sun. A trashcan caught fire two days ago in Castrojeriz, supposedly from the sun's rays concentrated through a pair of glasses that were thrown away among the papers!

Hi everyone- so excited for my 2nd Camino. First was 5/2016. Walked entire way w/o using rain coat or fleece. Wondering if I really need them for 2 week trip starting tomorrow - Logroño to??? Concerned about heat wave carrying more than I need or leaving behind what I do. Thanks in advance - BUEN CAMINO

It is always advisable to have enough with you to stay dry and keep your backpack dry. You will probably not experience a lot of rain except possible in Galicia. But when it rains in summer you will get soaked in a matter of minutes. A thin fleece can be good for mornings and evenings in some areas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Currently on the Frances... Absolutely no need for a fleece. The day I went over Alto Perdon it rained the entire day and I was thankful for my decent poncho. Other people with disposable ones were less happy.

A trashcan caught fire two days ago in Castrojeriz, supposedly from the sun's rays concentrated through a pair of glasses that were thrown away among the papers!
Amazing.
Not something we'd normally think about but definitely worth knowing, given the heat and dryness right now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
By the way, the latest heat wave in Spain has cost us two hospitaleros, frightened away by overheated news reports. Please note the heat waves are very temporary, and wild fires are very scattered and rare. I have every consideration for the concerns of my volunteers... but this, too, shall pass.
And I've lived through wildfires myself, during my long years in the trenches.

this, too, shall pass.
There are fires, bad ones. But terrible news is the clickbait the 24/7 news cycle loves, so things on the ground may not be as extreme as they sound. If you're worried about conditions, find someone who is closer to them than an aircon office in Madrid. Like @Rebekah Scott and other people on this forum who live in Spain and Portugal.

bottles do that too.
😲
Wow.
Ok, everyone. Time to drink your wine from boxes and beer from tins. (Kidding!)

(You learn something every day, if you're lucky.)

Last edited:
By the way, the latest heat wave in Spain has cost us two hospitaleros, frightened away by overheated news reports. Please note the heat waves are very temporary, and wild fires are very scattered and rare. I have every consideration for the concerns of my volunteers... but this, too, shall pass.
And I've lived through wildfires myself, during my long years in the trenches.
I am saddened to be referred to as a frightened person or as someone who gets the news from “click/bait”.

Ivan himself posted the fire danger on the Camino and there are many posts about the extreme heat.

Although the people fleeing the fires are surely frightened and the families of those who died from the heat don’t need to get the news from a “click-bait”. I thought long and hard about cancelling my commitment to be a hospitalara in Canfranc. Part of my decision was based on knowing there will an another volunteer.

Secondly, I didn’t think I would enjoy walking a Camino after my service. Fires, heat, smoke, burned out areas, transportation disruptions. Who knows?

I had done a lot of planning, buying light weight equipment and I had a great plane ticket that I got before the prices skyrocketed. It was not an easy decision.

Take care everyone and Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am saddened to be referred to as a frightened person or as someone who gets the news from “click/bait”.
I'm very sorry you took that clickbait comment personally @konnie, because that isn't what was meant nor said. I'm sure it was an awful decision to have to make..

In saying this:
But terrible news is the clickbait the 24/7 news cycle loves, so things on the ground may not be as extreme as they sound. If you're worried about conditions, find someone who is closer to them than an aircon office in Madrid. Like @Rebekah Scott and other people on this forum who live in Spain and Portugal.
I was referring to how the media tends to feed on misfortune and how things are often not as dire as they sound from afar.

Fires, heat, smoke, burned out areas, transportation disruptions. Who knows?
Certainly all of these things are present somewhere along the way. Heat is certainly universal right now.
But smoke, transportation disruptions, and burned out areas seem quite limited to specific areas, and the first two are transient.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back