• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heat? Who said heat?

C

Castilian

Minimum temperatures today (so far) on some towns along the caminos. Temperature data provided by www.aemet.es (the web of the Spanish State-Owned Agency of Meteorology)

Sobrado (dos Monxes), on the Camino del Norte: 3.4ºC
Verín, on the Camino Sanabrés: 5ºC
Carrión de los Condes, on the Camino Francés: 6ºC

There aren't data for Puebla de Sanabria (on the Sanabrés too) but nearby (less than 10 kms away) Robleda-Cervantes had the minimum in all Spain with 0.6ºC...

At 15:00 maximum temperatures didn't reach yet 20ºC neither at Burgos airport nor at Pamplona airport nor at León airport.

P.S.: To find heat today, you would need to go to the Southern part of the Vía de la Plata (Sevilla, Almadén de la plata...) or to parts of the Camino Mozárabe (Córdoba, Antequera...)

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I must say that we are in the middle of a 2 or 3 days break and that temperatures are expected to rise again on Friday and to continue to rise several days in a row...

Its been averaging 32c here in S.Texas with a heat index of 35c.
This is only july...
I want off this ride..its no fun anymore.
May all the Pilgrims be warm/cool..safe.
43c here in the Mojave Desert...but it's a 'dry heat' so no problem. :cool:

52 days until departure and counting...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Deacon
We have been fortunate that our winds are coming from the desert also
Makes things immersurably more tolerable.
Were known for humidity here
Mind wrecking
Soul destroying..humidity

thats why when i finally get over there..it will be a spring or fall walk.

Be well!

Its been averaging 32c here in S.Texas with a heat index of 35c.
This is only july...
I want off this ride..its no fun anymore.
May all the Pilgrims be warm/cool..safe.

101 in Lockhart today.

118 deg f in Kingsville.
It was 120f at work t other day.
And its only july...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
6 Celcius = 43F which is very nice indeed.

Yes, but it's a matter of expectations. Most people expect Spain to be warmer than Northern Sweden in summer so when temperatures in some areas of Spain are colder than those in Northern Sweden at the same time of the year, they can be not only surprised but unprepared for them. Locals know those temperatures may happen in summer but they are used to warmer ones and most/many of them prefer the warmer ones so lower temperatures aren't considered by them (the locals that prefer warmer temperatures) as nice.

Yes, but it's a matter of expectations. Most people expect Spain to be warmer than Northern Sweden in summer so when temperatures in some areas of Spain are colder than those in Northern Sweden at the same time of the year, they can be not only surprised but unprepared for them. Locals know those temperatures may happen in summer but they are used to warmer ones and most/many of them prefer the warmer ones so lower temperatures aren't considered by them (the locals that prefer warmer temperatures) as nice.

I was speaking for myself :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And today, five days after I opened this thread, temperatures are as follow (all temperature data are, once again, the ones provided by www.aemet.es (the web of the Spanish State-Owned Agency of Meteorology)):

Minimum temperatures (so far):

Sobrado: 14.2ºC
Verín: 14.6ºC
Carrión de los Condes: 15.2ºC

As I quoted Robleda-Cervantes on the post that opens the thread, I'll quote it again although it isn't on any camino de Santiago: 9ºC

Maximum temperatures till 15:30:

León airport: 35.1ºC
Burgos airport: 34ºC
Pamplona airport: 35.9ºC

I guess it talks by itself about the (lack of) usefulness of asking about how's the weather on July.

P.S.: Today's maximum temperature data till 15:30 on some other Camino towns:

Ourense, on the Camino Sanabrés: 40.8ºC
Mérida, on the Vía de la Plata: 38.2ºC
Mieres, on the Camino del Salvador: 38.1ºC (in the case of Mieres, data just till 15:00)
Castro Urdiales, on the Camino del Norte: 37.9ºC (in the case of Castro Urdiales, data just till 15:20)
Santiago de Compostela airport: 37.4ºC
Oviedo, on the Camino Primitivo: 36.5ºC

Last edited by a moderator:
And today, five days after I opened this thread, temperatures are as follow (all temperature data are, once again, the ones provided by www.aemet.es (the web of the Spanish State-Owned Weather Agency)):

Minimum temperatures (so far):

Sobrado: 14.2ºC
Verín: 14.6ºC
Carrión de los Condes: 15.2ºC

As I quoted Robleda-Cervantes on the post that opens the thread, I'll quote it again although it isn't on any camino de Santiago: 9ºC

Maximum temperatures till 15:30:

León airport: 35.1ºC
Burgos airport: 34ºC
Pamplona airport: 35.9ºC

I guess it talks by itself about the (lack of) usefulness of asking about how's the weather on July.

P.S.: Today's maximum temperature data till 15:30 on some other Camino towns:

Ourense, on the Camino Sanabrés: 40.8ºC
Mérida, on the Vía de la Plata: 38.2ºC
Mieres, on the Camino del Salvador: 38.1ºC (in the case of Mieres, data just till 15:00)
Castro Urdiales, on the Camino del Norte: 37.9ºC (in the case of Castro Urdiales, data just till 15:20)
Santiago de Compostela airport: 37.4ºC
Oviedo, on the Camino Primitivo: 36.5ºC

Thanks for this Castilian, do you know if these temps are significantly higher than the historic averages? I know that there is extreme variation, but averages do tell us something. If these kinds of highs are what we can expect in July and August from now on, I suppose we should get prepared for even more crowding in May and June!

Thanks for this Castilian, do you know if these temps are significantly higher than the historic averages? I know that there is extreme variation, but averages do tell us something. If these kinds of highs are what we can expect in July and August from now on, I suppose we should get prepared for even more crowding in May and June!

Average July's maximum temperatures data provided by www.aemet.es (the web of the Spanish State-Owned Agency of Meteorology) for the period 1981-2010:

León, Virgen del Camino: 27.4ºC
Burgos airport: 27.6ºC
Pamplona airport: 28.2ºC
Santiago de Compostela airport: 24.3ºC
Oviedo: 22.8ºC
Ourense: 30.2ºC

The point I was trying to make is that you can't really know for sure what to expect. Compare today's temperatures (post number 13 on this thread) with the temperatures 5 days ago at the same locations (post number 1 on this thread)!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back