• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

heatwave on the Camino???

Liz Ward

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino from St Jean to Santiage in Sept. 2016. Will meet my husband in Astorga and he will walk the last part with me.
I am packing for my September 14th departure from SJP and have been anxiously watching the weather reports for various towns on the Camino. I will be walking until October 28th so I am trying to decide how warm it will be as I get into October. The weather projections for the next 10 days looks VERY hot. I am from Washington, DC so I understand hot summers but I was hoping by mid September in northern Spain the cooler weather would begin. I feel like I will need a sleeping bag but maybe not for the first couple of weeks. My husband is meeting me in Leon on Oct. 9th so he will bring some stuff I will use for the cooler weather. My pack is weighing in at 13lb. 7 0z.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get your husband to bring you that cold weather gear ;-) Also 13lb. 7 0z. is a touch on the high site, feel free to post your packing list here for 'dissection' ;-) SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am packing for my September 14th departure from SJP and have been anxiously watching the weather reports for various towns on the Camino. I will be walking until October 28th so I am trying to decide how warm it will be as I get into October. The weather projections for the next 10 days looks VERY hot. I am from Washington, DC so I understand hot summers but I was hoping by mid September in northern Spain the cooler weather would begin. I feel like I will need a sleeping bag but maybe not for the first couple of weeks. My husband is meeting me in Leon on Oct. 9th so he will bring some stuff I will use for the cooler weather. My pack is weighing in at 13lb. 7 0z.

temperatures can easily drop to under 15 celsius at night and in the evening in september, and under 10 celsius in october. days usually are nice, reaching highs of 25 to 30 celsius, unless the rains begin and autumn settles in. most likely by the time you start and as you cross navarra, it will be cool enough to require a fleece or jumper in the morning, then even shorts in the afternoon.

good luck and Buen Camino

I am beginning my camino in Oloron Ste Marie in the south of France on Sept. 15. Yesterday, I checked for the weather two weeks from now. I found that the first weather website that I looked at predicted daytime temperatures of about 34 degrees. So I tried another website, which predicted 24 degrees for the same days. Beyond three or four days ahead, predicting the weather is a crapshoot. At least, going in mid September, we know that it will cool off some by October. Buen camino.

Yes Liz .....I had anticipated that temps would have started to drop a little mid sept but looks like I am wrong .... Was thinking to bring one set thermals which could double as clothes or undergarments ... BUT now thinking I could leave them out and just have an outer layering system ....

Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Liz,

As Albertagirl stated: weather prediction over 5 days are more gambling than science. Statistics are more indicative:
The nights will be cooler: less than 20C, some even below 10C.
Days will be between 15C and 30C, but rarely over 25C.
From mid September to end October, you will be able to feel the changes, as the summer fades away and the daylight time shortens.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Liz, I think it's fair to say like all mountain weather it can change in a tick. I'm setting off from St Jean on the 15th Sept but decided to be sensible to start and staying at the Kayala (Orrison) that night but then going with the flow. Our paths may cross at some stage. Buen Camino.
If 13 odd pounds is to much I have no chance as my pack loaded varies between 8.5 and 9 kilos!!

I'm astonished how worried people are about the cold in Spain in September - the weather you need to protect against is daytime highs in the 30Cs - the only thing that matters is getting enough liquid (and add some salt) - I wouldn't even think about carrying a bulky fleece - I would probably bring one technical t-shirt and my Icebreaker cool/lite shirt - and a sleeping bag liner - even if the day starts with a few clouds the sun breaks through within an hour or so

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was walking in mountains in China at Xmas the weather predictions gave a temperature range of 12-19' so I packed 'light' ..... but it was freezing going down to -2! I ended up wearing all my clothes on every day and sleeping in them too... I survived of course but lack of sleep due to the cold spoilt the trip a little.... I'd always rather carry more and be warm. For me there's nothing worse than feeling cold...I don't often get my kit wrong but on this occasion I did.

Last Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 were my first nights on the Camino Frances, spent at Orisson and Roncesvalles. Both nights were too hot to sleep. If you are French or Spanish, you are probably used to shutting the windows in your bedroom at night, and you will do so wherever you are, including in shared dormitories. It will get very hot and stuffy, with dorms packed with bunks where everyone is putting out body heat and breathing out whatever they had for supper. Maybe you will get used to it.

There's no way to predict how'll be the weather on your travel dates.

Next week (i.e.: next 7 days), on the meseta, maximum temperaturas are expected to be in the low 30's (Celsius). On other parts of the Camino Francés, they could be a bit higher and reach the mid 30's (Celsius). But that's just next week. How knows how'll make later!

During this period of the year, temperatures can vary a lot from one day to the next one so if you are seeing high temperatures for the next days, don't assume it'll be hot all the time you'll spend on the camino. OTOH, if you saw low temperatures forecasted for the next days, don't assume you might not find high temperatures some days. Therefore, play it safe and pack for all sort of weather!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I genrally walk in spring - March or early April. I usually start the day with a fleece and a scarf, removing them once I've started walking properly, but I like having access to them for long breaks or visiting co-o-old churches on the way.

In general, though, the fleece jacket I usually put on in the middle of the night, when I wake up in my sleeping bag. It's also really nice when I get chilled after handwashing clothes in cold water, with wet hair after my shower...

. If you are French or Spanish, you are probably used to shutting the windows in your bedroom at night, and you will do so wherever you are, including in shared dormitories. It will get very hot and stuffy, with dorms packed with bunks where everyone is putting out body heat and breathing out whatever they had for supper. Maybe you will get used to it.

Nooooooo, I am French and I do my utmost to keep windows open in albergues! In fact it is the reason I try and get a private room whenever there is the option, the snoring doesn't bother me, the heat and stuffiness I cannot stand.
No generalisations please ;)

It can be really hot, and it can be really cold!! I also used to find that after a day's walking I'd get incredibly cold after I stopped, independent of what the weather was. I wondered if this had something to do with changes in my core temperature from extended continuous exercise

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get your husband to bring you that cold weather gear ;-) Also 13lb. 7 0z. is a touch on the high site, feel free to post your packing list here for 'dissection' ;-) SY
SY, I am officially freaking out as I leave on Sunday. I have four backpacks on hand as I have yet to determine which is best. My clothes are too much but, I have decreased already, along with toiletries & snacks. Leaving from Florida & my bag is 15 lbs without water! What to do?! My husband is wondering if I will cancel a 5 month planned trip.

I am also leaving SJPP around the middle of September and noticed the weather is predicted to be warmer than what I was planning/hoping for. I am only going as far as Burgos but I am still trying to find that happy medium for packing without over doing it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it - especially, when it comes to being dressed appropriately whether it is shorts or a fleece. Our tolerance for temperatures is as individual as our comfort in footwear. Only one way to find out if we packed appropriately!

The weather at home has been strange and not always what is predicted and I expect the camino to be the same.

I was grateful for my convertible hiking pants, my lightweight fleece, my Icebreaker short sleeve & long sleeve teeshirts, padded vest & merino leggings, my rain jacket and rain pants, and my loose long sleeved, vented shirt. These were my essentials that I wore continuously for two months keeping me comfortable through all sorts of weather. I had them in shades of grey & mocha and fell in love with them. I still love wearing them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SY, I am officially freaking out as I leave on Sunday. I have four backpacks on hand as I have yet to determine which is best. My clothes are too much but, I have decreased already, along with toiletries & snacks. Leaving from Florida & my bag is 15 lbs without water! What to do?! My husband is wondering if I will cancel a 5 month planned trip.
I know the last thing you want to hear is calm down, so take a breath, and another. You are still breathing right? You will do what you have to when you have to. If the weight or volume is too much, then you can discard some less used or unneeded items on the way. I am planning on using a bounce box along the way to lighten my load, and resupply along the route. I thought about shipping (bouncing) to larger towns 7 ~ 10 days apart. The only downside is having to schedule a visit to the post office before leaving town. I have used a bounce box hiking in the states and it worked out great. Don't forget you could always ship extras to Ivar and pick them up in Santiago. Whats in my bounce box: travel duffel for my pack, clean clothes for Santiago, spare pole tips, personal items like hiker goo, drip drops, maybe some spare meds/first aid, favorite snack, tbd.

I am on the other side of the river in the Cape, and I know we don't have any elevation to train on. Have you trained with your pack weight? If so, then you are the best judge of how your Camino will turn out. Are you comfortable with your pack and sleeping system? They might be the hardest or most expensive items to substitute on the way. There is almost a 1 pound difference between some of my backpacks. Have you thought about buying some piece of clothing on the way if the need arises, as opposed to packing it in anticipation of the need. Do you just have 1 days worth of snacks or more? I always struggle with LESS IS MORE, but I cannot think of a single instance where LESS did not work out. You will not be in a wilderness environment for extended periods of time. Being excited is a cool thing ... it makes us feel alive.

All you need is a change of clothes, one you wear, one you wash: 2 T-shirts, 2 bottoms, underwear x 2 and socks (3 or 4 pairs). Plus a layer to add if it's cold (long sleeve merino or fleece), a hat, sandals or flipflops for evening and something for rain: poncho or rainjacket. Add a buff or a scarf.Minimal first-aid and minimal toiletries, a small towel (or use the scarf!) Add a phone and maybe a torch. Something to sleep in (sleeping bag or liner). You don't really need anything else and it doesn't weigh much! ;)
In Winter weather (ie snow) I add merino leggings and take both the merino top and fleece. And gloves.

Last edited:
Yes Liz .....I had anticipated that temps would have started to drop a little mid sept but looks like I am wrong .... Was thinking to bring one set thermals which could double as clothes or undergarments ... BUT now thinking I could leave them out and just have an outer layering system ....

Anne
Yeah, ditch the thermals.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i walked sept 1st 2015 and arrived in santiago on oct 7th...i wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt 80% of the time. then a long sleeve in the morning till mid day toward the end. brought a liner only and used the blankets if needed at the hostals. the weather will be beautiful and later in october a bit chillier

Thank you for both for the response. I have a fleece liner & a lightweight summer bag the same size. So I'll leave one of those, and the thermals at homeThe dress I packed, hopefully for multiple church services, not so easy to leave behind! Going to pare it all back again

Happy to see your post from the Cape! I am thinking of organizing day & overnight hikes in our area when I return. Looking for an experienced hiker if you're interested, or know of someone

Don't freak out, but post your packing list here! For best results just post everything you plan to take, no matter if you wear or carry it ;-) and a lot of us will be happy to have a go at it. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nooooooo, I am French and I do my utmost to keep windows open in albergues! In fact it is the reason I try and get a private room whenever there is the option, the snoring doesn't bother me, the heat and stuffiness I cannot stand.
@domigee
Apologies for my intemperate language and for the implication that all people of a particular nationality share a preference which is uncomfortable to me. That can be a dangerous frame of mind and I do not tolerate it in myself. Alas, travel does not necessarily bring out the best in me. I shall try to be more open-minded.

Last Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 were my first nights on the Camino Frances, spent at Orisson and Roncesvalles. Both nights were too hot to sleep. If you are French or Spanish, you are probably used to shutting the windows in your bedroom at night, and you will do so wherever you are, including in shared dormitories. It will get very hot and stuffy, with dorms packed with bunks where everyone is putting out body heat and breathing out whatever they had for supper. Maybe you will get used to it.
I'm going to open an albergue. There will be one dorm (side) for people who shut the windows and one side for people who open the windows! And snoring thingies for the nose will be handed to all proclaimed (self or otherwise) snorers and earplugs for everyone else! LOL :D:D:D

Last edited:
All you need is a change of clothes, one you wear, one you wash: 2 T-shirts, 2 bottoms, underwear x 2 and socks (3 or 4 pairs). Plus a layer to add if it's cold (long sleeve merino or fleece), a hat, sandals or flipflops for evening and something for rain: poncho or rainjacket. Add a buff or a scarf.Minimal first-aid and minimal toiletries, a small towel (or use the scarf!) Add a phone and maybe a torch. Something to sleep in (sleeping bag or liner). You don't really need anything else and it doesn't weigh much! ;)
In Winter weather (ie snow) I add merino leggings and take both the merino top and fleece. And gloves.

Or gloves can (also) be bought for really cheap at the China shops in places like Burgos, Leon, etc... :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm reminded (with regard to my own packing) of the 'Hokey Cokey' song ...in...out...in....out....shake it all about.... but this is part of my ritual of preparation to leave for a BIG trip. I believe it is a way of meditating on the trip ahead a visualisation that prepares the gears and whistles in my head that my usual way of being is about to shift perspective and position. I believe it helps me to adapt quickly from one life into a very different life of travelling. Equally I have coming home rituals around unpacking cleansing and settling back into normal life.

A military friend of mine on our ski trips when we deciding looking at the weather forecast what and how many layers to where for the day always used to say, " Any fool can get cold".
Wise words indeed, yes be sensible in weight and the bulk of what you pack but give yourself options to keep warm as and when necessary.

Don't freak out, but post your packing list here! For best results just post everything you plan to take, no matter if you wear or carry it ;-) and a lot of us will be happy to have a go at it. Buen Camino, SY

Well, I got my pack down to 12lbs, well my husband did while I stood aside white knuckled. Fighting the urge to sneak some back in. He says just buy whatever I find myself missing. My frugal self is dreading that, but all is well. Thanks to all who advised! Shelly

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@shellypaul take advantage of hubby's offer. Post some updates from the Camino, and let me know about the hikes when you get back.

Buen Camino
You are welcome to come to the send off party with food & karaoke tomorrow about 230-530. Since you are so close. I think my contact info is on my profile.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sizzling on the Camino at present.
15.20 in Camponayara and it's 34 degs.
Pack light. Drink lots. Buy clothes if you get cold. Spain has stores!

Hi, I've just walked Zubiri to Pamlona today and it's hot. When there's no tree cover you really feel it. It's hard to reapply sunscreen when your sweaty, it just won't stick!
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I'm currently in the middle of el Camino Frances at Sahagùn in the meseta and would love to throw away my fleece and wet weather gear. But who knows by the end? With 32°C in the afternoons the biggest concern is dehydration and stamina. You need maybe 1.5 litres per hour and that weighs a lot when there is 17 km without a fresh water supply. I did dehydrate once and spent the afternoon shivering on the bed in an Auberge with a blanket. I only just made the town in time.

I'm currently in the middle of el Camino Frances at Sahagùn in the meseta and would love to throw away my fleece and wet weather gear. But who knows by the end? With 32°C in the afternoons the biggest concern is dehydration and stamina. You need maybe 1.5 litres per hour and that weighs a lot when there is 17 km without a fresh water supply. I did dehydrate once and spent the afternoon shivering on the bed in an Auberge with a blanket. I only just made the town in time.
Which stage had 17 km between watering spots?

It usually does, but there still can be hot days. I doubt there will be much in the way of cold nights.

We are walking at the moment and it has been really hot. 36oc in Pamplona the other day at 9pm. Today in Burgos it was 36oc in the sun. Not quite what I had expected. Haven't christened the raincoat yet, and not much wind either, but absolutely gorgeous! Don't forget the sunscreen! Sandie

You forgot the "wink" emoji. (13 and a half pounds is only about 6 kilos. Not to suggest that anyone might be in the grip of units-of-measure confusion or anything!) ;-) I walk with 9 kilos, including the pack. Haven't died of it.

Agree with you, married a Frenchman, lived in France for 15 years, windows were always kept open!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
9 sleeps to go and hope that the heat wave has well and trully passed by then and of course the storms that normally follow such weather. Just out of interest is it common to be caught in thunder storms along the route in such weather or would that be more of a nighttime thing?
Still deliberating over kit, was going to take two pairs of convertible trousers and shorts but have a pair of trekking trousers which are great, practical, offer a degree of protection from weather, warmer, drier but are heavier and will be harder to dry. Stick with the lighweight ones and hope it's nitvtoncold? I think so.

One of my annoyances, even in mid June when it was very warm in the evening, others still insisted on closing all the windows and not letting any fresh air in. I seemed to be in the minority for keeping windows opened!

I'm eight days away from my first Camino... SJPP to Santiago hoping to arrive around Oct 22. I've got the middle-aged female heating system going and am used to sleeping with little covers in a cool room. I'd love nothing more than to leave behind my 2 lb. sleeping bag. I have a nice Sea to Summit silk liner and really think that it's going to be enough. Can you all confirm? As an alternative, is there any way of sending the sleeping bag ahead to somewhere in the León-Ponferrada region?

I'm eight days away from my first Camino... SJPP to Santiago hoping to arrive around Oct 22. I've got the middle-aged female heating system going and am used to sleeping with little covers in a cool room. I'd love nothing more than to leave behind my 2 lb. sleeping bag. I have a nice Sea to Summit silk liner and really think that it's going to be enough. Can you all confirm? As an alternative, is there any way of sending the sleeping bag ahead to somewhere in the León-Ponferrada region?

I'd take a sleeping bag, but get a much lighter one if you are able to. My internal thermostat is all over the place and there were days I was still deeply grateful for the warmth & comfort of my comfy bag, even if later in the night I had stripped most of it off me. I turned my silk sleeping bag liner into a sheet and used the bag as a quilt to aid temperature control.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You forgot the "wink" emoji. (13 and a half pounds is only about 6 kilos. Not to suggest that anyone might be in the grip of units-of-measure confusion or anything!) ;-) I walk with 9 kilos, including the pack. Haven't died of it.
I agree. I started with 6.5 kg without water, and amongst the people I have been walking with I have about the lightest pack out there. My pack fits well, and I really don't feel it much - even on 35 km days in the heat on the Meseta! I've added a bit of weight along the way, buying replacement toothpaste and sunscreen that's bigger than the originals that I brought, plus a tank top to wear at night rather than my next day's clothes. I also usually carry an orange and 1.5 liters of water.
Before I left home I was becoming so obsessed about my pack weight, but the important thing isn't always how much it weighs, but how it feels. That said, it's easy enough to add to once you are in Spain. Probably better than bringing unnecessary items.
I made a couple of choices to bring heavier items than necessary, and I'm glad I did. For instance, I have an extra large Sea to Summit quick dry towel rather than the large or medium, and I'm happy to carry a couple more ounces for a larger towel.

I agree - 13lbs 7oz is pretty heavy - I heard that 10% of your body weight is the most you should carry, unless of course you are a SuperHuman!

I hasten to add - the 10% (summer) rule and the 15% (winter) rule are rules of thumb, guidelines, but not absolute truths ;-) Buen Camino, SY

One of my annoyances, even in mid June when it was very warm in the evening, others still insisted on closing all the windows and not letting any fresh air in. I seemed to be in the minority for keeping windows opened!

Agree with you, married a Frenchman, lived in France for 15 years, windows were always kept open!

I can think of a few occasions when my bed was next to the window, most notably in Casa Magica in Villatuerta and in the albergue dorm at Complexo Xacobeo in Triacastela and Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos in Estella. After the window-closers had gone to sleep I quietly opened the window again and breathed the cooler night air until morning. Whether they believed the night air to be harmful or if the shutting of windows was for the purpose of securing the building against possible intruders I might never know, but I was aware that it seemed an important routine for some pilgrims and an occasionally contentious issue.

Last edited:
After the window-closers had gone to sleep I quietly opened the window again

I did that too at one albergue. I had just very carefully and quietly slithered back into my sleeping bag when I was startled by a whisper in my ear, which said “shall I turn the heating off too?” I had not noticed that the radiators were on FULL BLAST as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.