Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Heatwave warning

MikeyC

Past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
The Spanish weather service has issued a heatwave alert for the next few days but especially Friday and Saturday the 13th and 14th.
Temperatures could reach 37C for Burgos and the Meseta and up to 44C in the south around Seville and Cordoba.
Those are shade temperatures and the feels like is up to 47C.
There's plenty of advice on other threads about walking when it's hot but I'm not sure I'd even want to step outside.
Stay safe fellow pilgrims.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
A friend is travelling by car today from near Madrid, destination Pamplona, and stopping off with passengers in Vitoria and and a couple of other locations. She told me she will take them to the door of where they are going so they would not have to be out in the heat for longer than the minute to turn the key or ring the bell... 38 celsius expected around Pamplona. She is looking forward to feeling cold on Saturday if plans to arrive in Dublin work out!

Past OR future Camino
2014, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Various routes...
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
Good God, sounds like it’s already too late and past the point of no return.

Everything needs to change otherwise everything will change.
Hi Lexicos. I am aware of many of your posts, especially your lovely photos. I am also aware of the longing of many in your part of the gobe who hope for freedom to travel. You have my sympathy.
I have no smart answer for you, beyond this: where you are, and with what you know, you have a responsibility. I am speaking first of all to myself, you will see that immediately! Good old ego pushes everything else out to the edge!
In this forum, we have the great luxury of knowing that the greater part of the material is information and fact based. Some of it is opinion based, and often that bites the dust! Good old ego has to swallow that!
Do not be dismayed. Forgive me, I think I have a good few years of life over you, based on your photo, and I am taking advantage of that to say: now is now. Keep being who you are, where you are, and know that the future is dependent on precisely that.
I know, this is not a pm, but I want to reply to you on the open forum where you expressed yourself.
And your walking locally photos? Missing them! No more than my own, but in the next couple of weeks I hope to have some to post!

Last edited:

MikeyC

Past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
Not too bad day 1 as the time trial is only 7km and the first start is around 5pm. Sunday's 160km is going to be a real test though.

Dick & Kitty

Past OR future Camino
The hourly weather forecast for Astorga on Friday and Saturday shows that it won't get really terrible until 3 and continue in the 90s until 7 pm. The morning seems reasonably cool (at least by Florida standards). We don't start walking until Monday, thank goodness! And we will try to start as early as possible. Be careful everyone! Heat stroke is dangerous.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Jewellery
Yo ho, by way of an update I am walking the Meseta and completed the stage from Castrojerez to Fromista today. Up at six and walking by seven with a great companion from Barcelona. Lots of water with rehydration salts. It’s cool and pleasant up to about 10am. A big break from walking in Itero. We crack on and the temperature is noticeable rising and we are pleased to book into the Albergue Municipal just after 1pm. Housekeeping done and I am now in a cool relaxing garden with a cold Cana and the wonderful problem of what and where to have dinner tonight. I guess, the same drill for walking to Carrion de los Condes.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
We're also having another heat wave here in eastern Washington state (US) along with smoke from forest fires. Can't hike/walk outdoors in preparation for my Sept/Oct. Camino so off to the basement for a workout instead.
Yeah, not a good combo here in Southern Oregon!
I can deal with the heat by getting up early for a walk, but my eyes, nose, and throat say no to the smoke. At least we are only in the red zone today...

20210812_071352.jpg

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
This is the reason that I am lucky that I have the luxury of walking when I want. I have met people that walk the VDLP and other southern routes and think this is insane. Yes it is tolerable in the early morning but by 10:30 or 11 it is boilng and it just gets hotter. Then the idea of being in a town or village and it is 110F+ is not my idea of anything I would travel half way around the world for. It is dangerous and as climate change worsens these temperatures have no where to go but up. I am walking the VDLP starting October 14th and I am still a little worried about the temperatures. Again you can protect against the cold but you have no protection if for whatever reason you find yourself many kilometers from a town and the temperature is becoming intolerable. But like I said I am lucky to be able to go when I do. Good luck and stay safe to all those walking now.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Past OR future Camino
The Spanish weather service has issued a heatwave alert for the next few days but especially Friday and Saturday the 13th and 14th.
Temperatures could reach 37C for Burgos and the Meseta and up to 44C in the south around Seville and Cordoba.
Those are shade temperatures and the feels like is up to 47C.
There's plenty of advice on other threads about walking when it's hot but I'm not sure I'd even want to step outside.
Stay safe fellow pilgrims.
Thank you for this. I have been following as I am due to leave at the end of the month. I am hoping it breaks before then, but it is again a reminder that I need to be flexible.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I recommend starting out in the morning as early as you can discern the arrows. Do not wait for the sun to be up. It's too late then.

If you can get out of your lodging by about 6:00 AM, you can get your day's walking in before the absolute heat of the day sets in. In Spain, the hottest period of the day is 1:00 PM to about 4:00 PM. In most of Spain, the heat builds from about 10:00, until it gets almost unbearable.

Either carry shade (umbrella), or seek shade, off the senda, once noon arrives. If you left your lodging at 6:00 AM, you could have gotten six hours of walking accomplished by then. Only the bit from about 10:00 would have been getting very hot.

Using a light colored or reflective umbrella drops the immediate temperature by about 20 degree (F). This is the same as walking into shade under a tree on a hot summer day. But, there are not a lot of trees in some places along the Camino. So, you bring your own.

During those couple of hours, soak your heat gear in water (any water will do) and place it on your head. Use a Buff, or a soaked towel, soaked in water - wrung out over your headgear - then placed around your neck, and / or your wrists. One can never have too many Buffs.

These are critical points to regulate your core temperature. Evaporative cooling from the microfiber will lower your core temperature. Try it - it works. You can soak a Buff and wear it on your head, under your wet sun hat, for even better cooling,

Carry extra water. Figure on a FULL LITER per hour after about 10:00. At other times, before 10:00 and after about 4:00 PM, plan on at least a half-liter, with hydration salts mixed in.

Yes, it means carrying extra weight. The choice is having first responders carrying your dead weight, if you pass out from sun stroke along the senda.

It's a case of pay me now, or pay me later.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2020)
I walked from Estella to Los Arcos today. Didn’t start until 645- too late. The last bit was brutal and i ran out of water. The Guardia Civile, special pilgrim police, turned up with a bottle of water on the outskirts of los arcos. I almost cried!from gratitude.
The thing is im an experienced hiker and i knew id need more than a liter after monjardin. When i realized my Camino companion and i had missed the fuente, i wanted to go back. But she didn’t so i kept going with her. She had very little and was dizzy by the time she got to los arcos and was feeling sick. Dont walk without enough water!!!
another fuente on the way was closed…

Im a little anxious about the walk to Viana tomorrow, but ill try to start at 530…

Past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2020)
I walked from Estella to Los Arcos today. Didn’t start until 645- too late. The last bit was brutal and i ran out of water. The Guardia Civile, special pilgrim police, turned up with a bottle of water on the outskirts of los arcos. I almost cried!from gratitude.
The thing is im an experienced hiker and i knew id need more than a liter after monjardin. When i realized my Camino companion and i had missed the fuente, i wanted to go back. But she didn’t so i kept going with her. She had very little and was dizzy by the time she got to los arcos and was feeling sick. Dont walk without enough water!!!
another fuente on the way was closed…

Im a little anxious about the walk to Viana tomorrow, but ill try to start at 530…
Actually there’s no fuente in monjardin, the friend who filled up there got water from a bar

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Check the best local weather app you have to determine the time of sunrise in your area. Then, leave 30 minutes before that time. That should provide enough light to see the arrows.

I like El Tiempo+, produced by the Spanish National Meteorological Office (AEMET). It has accurate weather information for just about every named place in Spain. I found it to be remarkable and highly accurate. You can download it from the Apple App Store or for Android from the Google Store.

I know it might put a crimp in some night time revelry with other pilgrims. But, early to bed, early to rise is the best and safest bet during a summer heat wave in Spain. It is tempting to stay up later as it does not get dark until late in most of Spain. But, bring an eye mask. Try to get to sleep by 9:00 PM, so you can get up at 5:00 - 5:30 AM.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Camino Jewellery

catperson

Past OR future Camino
We walked in the heat wave summer 2017 40-41 most days for first three weeks
Wear hat
Wet your buff at every opportunity
We Left most days by 530 am and stopped by 1230
Always resupply water when available
Walk shorter distances if necessary
be smart and stay safe

PadreQ

Past OR future Camino
Frances Sept Oct 2011, de Astorga 2015
Primitivo Oct 2013
Lebaniego & Ingles Sept (2017)
A reflective hiking umbrella is better than a hat. It holds the heat off of the top of your head - and allows for airflow. It's the only way that I can train in Texas right now - heat index 108 F. 20210811_173258.jpg 20210811_173258.jpg

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Calisteve

Past OR future Camino
June 16 CF
July 17 CF with my son
July 18 CP with my wife
July 19 Ingles Muxia & Finisterre
Yup walked from Sahagun to Reliegos today (around 31 kms) and onto Leon tomorrow for the Salvador. Tbh it's fine until noon and then it's a bit challenging. So an early start is essential. According to my phone it's now 30 degrees at 8:30pm.

Jeff Robinson

Past OR future Camino
I can’t be the only one and this isn’t for everyone but no one has chimed in about getting up at 4:15 and walking by 4:45.

If you prepare the evening before, you can leave like a mouse and never be heard.
Get up with a silent alarm. Pick up your pack and sleeping materials and tiptoe to an outer room, lobby, shower room, or outside to get dressed and finish packing. If you must, use a bug Light held in your closed hand letting only enough light between your fingers provide what you need. Do not use a flashlight, phone light, or headlamp while in the communal areas.

Once outside, continue to avoid light in order to retain your night vision. If you must enter a lit area, close one eye and keep it closed until you have departed the lit area. As long as you have retained your night vision, and the path is not rocky or otherwise dangerous, it’s almost always better to walk without a headlamp or phone lamp. With only starlight or moonlight you can actually see more without artificial light. If you are not familiar with what I mean by “night vision“, do a little research.

The rewards for being a pre-dawn sleuth is more than having 90 extra minutes of cooler temperatures. Simply put, the heavens are on display, the silence with the rhythm of your steps is a song, and it is absolutely beautiful.
And besides, I was always ready to find the first open café shortly after dawn. The first café con leche and chocolate croissant was always a special treat for me.
Buen Camino!

Lexicos

Jimmy
Past OR future Camino
Don't fall for that. All they're doing is getting your money. Change is natural. How long ago was the ice age?
Hmm, maybe, though I do have a little more faith in science than that. The scientific evidence speaks for itself I think. Plain observation too. The “change” we’re looking at here is “unnatural,” which I guess is the whole point of what the science is telling us.

Anyway, this is off-topic no doubt but one thing is certain, walking the Camino in Spain or Portugal in summer is tough, real tough, and every precaution needs to be taken because the risks to health, and safety, are not insignificant. I’ve done it once and probably wouldn’t do it again if I had the choice. And thankfully, I do.

I’m gonna bide my time and wait!!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I can’t be the only one and this isn’t for everyone but no one has chimed in about getting up at 4:15 and walking by 4:45.

If you prepare the evening before, you can leave like a mouse and never be heard.
Get up with a silent alarm. Pick up your pack and sleeping materials and tiptoe to an outer room, lobby, shower room, or outside to get dressed and finish packing. If you must, use a bug Light held in your closed hand letting only enough light between your fingers provide what you need. Do not use a flashlight, phone light, or headlamp while in the communal areas.

Once outside, continue to avoid light in order to retain your night vision. If you must enter a lit area, close one eye and keep it closed until you have departed the lit area. As long as you have retained your night vision, and the path is not rocky or otherwise dangerous, it’s almost always better to walk without a headlamp or phone lamp. With only starlight or moonlight you can actually see more without artificial light. If you are not familiar with what I mean by “night vision“, do a little research.

The rewards for being a pre-dawn sleuth is more than having 90 extra minutes of cooler temperatures. Simply put, the heavens are on display, the silence with the rhythm of your steps is a song, and it is absolutely beautiful.
And besides, I was always ready to find the first open café shortly after dawn. The first café con leche and chocolate croissant was always a special treat for me.
Buen Camino!

This is a very good suggestion, if doable. Some albergues lock pilgrims in for the night - seriously they do.

This aside, check the time of dawn - sunrise in your area, and plan to start out 30 minutes before then. This is so you have enough light to make out arrows.

One year, I started in the dark and could not see the arrows coming out of Tui on the Camino Portuguese. Fortunately, people were leaving their homes to drive to work, so I was able to ask these folks where the Camino was. There was enough daylight about 20 minutes later.

Hope this helps.

Tom

William Garza

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Forecast for tomorrow August 14th for Logroño, La Rioja: Muy Scorchio!:eek:

Celsius:
View attachment 106673
Fahrenheit:
View attachment 106674
Stay in shade, drink a lot of water, walk a short distance or take a weekend off from walking and go to a swimming pool...
Same temps as here in S.Texas.we get 40 or so dog days then break .heat index will getcha!
You guys be safe!

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
I'm in Toulouse right now, but was on the meseta 'til yesterday afternoon -- the heat here today is worse than it has been there ; similar temps, but humid rather than dry.

Yup walked from Sahagun to Reliegos today (around 31 kms) and onto Leon tomorrow for the Salvador. Tbh it's fine until noon and then it's a bit challenging. So an early start is essential. According to my phone it's now 30 degrees at 8:30pm.
I am a couple of days behind you and will be in Sahagun tomorrow. Couldn’t agree more with the early start and avoiding the, now brutal heat in the afternoon.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

Happy Penguin

Rainy day in Castilblanco
Past OR future Camino
One year, I started in the dark and could not see the arrows coming out of Tui on the Camino Portuguese. Fortunately, people were leaving their homes to drive to work, so I was able to ask these folks where the Camino was. There was enough daylight about 20 minutes later
Tom, it is so much easier nowadays with GPS and an offline map on the screen of your phone. If I start when it is dark, and I am in doubt, I don't even try to look for the arrows on the walls, trees or pavement. My eyesight is not good enough for that. I just look at the screen of my phone, there is a red track of the Camino and an arrow showing me whether I should go left or right. And I don't need to wait until 30 mins before sunrise, this method works 24 hours a day, including in the middle of the night if necessary.
What a marvel of technology can we slip into our pockets nowadays while walking the Camino!

Screenshot: Maps.Me + CF track
Screenshot_20210814-193215_MAPSME.jpg

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese (18)

Buen Camino!
Just be aware of the courtesy of not waking other pilgrims in your dorm this early, several people I met this week have found the disturbance of people packing up and leaving this early inconsiderate.

Lurch

Past OR future Camino
looking at 2018-2019
I am on vacation in Lake Lugano, southern part of Switzerland and it is like a sauna, very hot and humid. Will be on the Camino in 3 weeks and if it is anything like this, it will be a bear for walking. I know August can be miserable, but this is ridiculous!

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
I am on vacation in Lake Lugano, southern part of Switzerland and it is like a sauna, very hot and humid. Will be on the Camino in 3 weeks and if it is anything like this, it will be a bear for walking. I know August can be miserable, but this is ridiculous!
Overall, it's actually a cooler year.

These heatwaves are certainly bad, but they last for a few days, unlike say 2019 when it was basically non-stop May to September.

Having said that, the Camino routes through southern Spain and France will tend to have more difficult heat conditions this Summer (what's left of it) than the Francès and routes north of it. As to Italy, well, it gets very hot there in August ...

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
I second all the excellent advice on hydration, early start, shade for head, etc and am just going to mention: if your health can’t take being overheated or dehydrated, I’d suggest just don’t walk, or walk very little, then grab alternate transportation to your next stop. Or if it’s going to be several days of extreme heat on a boring road, move ahead to an interesting town and spend a few days exploring it instead. Be sensible and by that I mean don’t take risks that could lead to serious injury. If you already have issues with heart, lung, kidneys, or medications that disrupt salt balance or temperature regulation, road marches with pack in extreme heat is not a good idea. Preventive action may let you continue rather than end up in an ER then flying home. Consider taking the cab, bus, donkey or whatever to prevent heat injury the equivalent of taking one after you tumble down a mountain spraining your knee.

edit: older (medicine considers that over 50🙄) are at greater risk for dehydration and heat injuries. This is due to lower cell fluid levels (so less fluid in reserve), decreased thirst sensation (so don’t realize you’re getting behind), and often medication that interferes with fluids, salts etc or with sweating.

be safe and buen Camino

Last edited:
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
I'm one of the walk early to avoid dying of heat brigade.
I often walked early, but usually when it was really hot, most of the albergue left early - so there were plenty of torches and people looking for arrows for us all not to get lost. After an hour or so, the line would naturally disperse out along the trail - so we didnt walk all bunched up.
Another thing I always did was to make sure I did a recce the night before to find the way-out markers for the morning, so you dont get lost or have to backtrack and waste time. Make sure its not a variente though - extra kms in the heat are not funny.
I would have water before I left, and refill my bottle. If possible leaving your bottle in the fridge is great.
Another thing to watch out for is that phones can cook in the heat. What that specific heat is I dont know.
My sister left hers in a closed car for half an hour in NZ, and it fried itself, never to work again. So I'm aware to make sure I don't leave it where it can be overheated.

grayland

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Yes
Our average daytime temperature here in tha Arizona desert this time of year is 35 (95f) to 45 (113f). It makes walking distances very difficult. I have really lost a lot of conditioning since I moved here. I try to start at 6am but the hot sun comes up by 7am.

Past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
In this current COVID world pilgrims take their camino opportunities when are where they can find them. But even for this Aussie temperatures over 40C (104F) are no fun. So you all keep safe and cool. Cheers

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads