Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Heavy edition-"Via de la Plata" Guide/Alison Raju

John Hussey

My "new edition" (?)guide for the VdlP came in and I was surprised at the book's weight...it weighs a ton...well, 13 ounces (370 grams) anyway, considerably more than my older guide for the Camino Frances. Perhaps it is because the Camion Mozarabe is 235 km longer than the Camino Frances.

Plus, even though it was advertised as "New Edition" and 2006, the inside cover states 2005. HHHmmmmmm...

It does have a number of beautiful color photos inside it but i believe i would have preferred less color and less weight, too... Oh well!

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Steve S

John,

The guide is a little heavy, but as you note there are a couple of hundred more km to cover. I actually tore out all the pages we didn't need before leaving; the first 52 pages are introductory material, and while valuable I had learned most of what they had to teach me and didn't need the pages on the road. I also tore out everything up to Puebla de Sanabria, where we started. You can discard pages as you go as well. Just a thought.

Best,

Steve

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
...and I scanned the relevant pages, then laminated them double-sided so they were waterproof. I only ever had to have one or two of the laminated sheets to hand for a day's walk which could then be discarded when finished.
To be honest the part that I walked (from Verin) was completely within Galicia and so well way-marked that the book only ever acted as a confidence check.

Regards

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads