• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heavy Rain on the VDLP

hotelmedicis

Commercial Interests
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2001, 2017
VDLP 2013, 2018
Greetings from Castilblanco (stage 2). There have been very heavy rains during my first two stages. The Camino from Guillena to Castilblanco de los Arroyos was like walking in a river. Tomorrow's stage to Almaden de la Plata will be entirely on the road because the Finca el Berrocal is closed due to flooding. So, just a head's up to anyone coming to do the VDLP. There is lots of water! Torrential rain every day! Here are a couple pictures of the trail. No, that's not a river, that's the Camino! IMG_20180301_103610.jpgIMG_20180301_110549.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The park is closed so today we walked 30 km on the road all the way to Almaden de la Plata. Torrential rain all day with thunder and lightening. Everyone arrived soaking wet and cold. It is becoming an issue trying to dry our clothing. Anyone beginning the VDLP would do well to carefully check the weather. There is no staying dry no matter what you wear! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Terrible for people walking I know, but last year was so, so dry and the crops failed all over Spain. If the rain is widespread the farmers will be pleased.
Kanga you are correct! I spoke to an elderly woman in a bar yesterday and she said that everyone was rejoicing because of the much needed rain. I don't mean to complain about it, it's just difficult walking, and I know it's good for the crops. :)

Balancing throught the two flooding arroyos in the park after heavy rain was my worst issue on VdlP, so it sounds good that they now close the park.

Balancing throught the two flooding arroyos in the park after heavy rain was my worst issue on VdlP, so it sounds good that they now close the park.
Yes, they even posted a police car at the entrance of the park to keep wayward pilgrims out!

Oh how I wish that had happened when we were there. We got to the arroyo and determined it was not safe to cross with four kids). An elderly German lady decided to go upstream and I couldn’t leave her alone so we followed but in the end we turned back because it was flowing so fast and deep - I had to take responsibility for my kids and not the lady who insisted on continuing upstream) We had to climb back up out of the park and trudge in the pouring rain a total of 42km in the end. At one stage a big tear rolled down the face of my youngest (10) - she was in agony for the last ten kilometers but never complained and refused to be left on the side of the road with her siblings while I went on for a taxi.
The rain continued for a week and some nights we did not have hot showers - but another week later temperatures were in excess of 30 degrees!!!

This is really bad news for those starting anytime soon! The forecast does not look to improve for at least a week. See attached screen shot. Last year was so beautiful in March, with only a few showers in the whole month!Almaden.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is really bad news for those starting anytime soon! The forecast does not look to improve for at least a week. See attached screen shot. Last year was so beautiful in March, with only a few showers in the whole month!View attachment 39860
It doesn't look good for walkers but it will fill up the reservoirs for sure. Two people just arrived here by bus after being told that the VDLP was closed between Guillena and Castilblanco due to flooding. They had to return to Sevilla and take a bus here. I am glad to be going North!

Yes of course it always good to get rain in a dry part of the country! We've walked in rain for many days and it can be really tough for pilgrims, especially when goes on for several days in a row. The path over which the VdlP travels seems to really collect water, and has many stream crossings with no bridge.

Greetings from Castilblanco (stage 2). There have been very heavy rains during my first two stages. The Camino from Guillena to Castilblanco de los Arroyos was like walking in a river. Tomorrow's stage to Almaden de la Plata will be entirely on the road because the Finca el Berrocal is closed due to flooding. So, just a head's up to anyone coming to do the VDLP. There is lots of water! Torrential rain every day! Here are a couple pictures of the trail. No, that's not a river, that's the Camino! View attachment 39838View attachment 39841
Oh you poor thing. I’ve heard spring is the wettest time. Some of it is going to be very slippery. Be careful my friend . This was me in the autumn-SO hot (over 40 degrees) the total opposite!!!9E78B716-0BF7-4997-9891-9260DF438372.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was just about to "Like" your post, but on second thoughts that doesn't seem appropriate considering all the rain your getting. Hope the weather changes for you.
This time next year I'll be one month into the VDLP.
me too... 99% i click like (as way of my gratitude) information they are sharing in spite of their circumstances.

The park is closed so today we walked 30 km on the road all the way to Almaden de la Plata. Torrential rain all day with thunder and lightening. Everyone arrived soaking wet and cold. It is becoming an issue trying to dry our clothing. Anyone beginning the VDLP would do well to carefully check the weather. There is no staying dry no matter what you wear! :)
Oh how I wish that had happened when we were there. We got to the arroyo and determined it was not safe to cross with four kids). An elderly German lady decided to go upstream and I couldn’t leave her alone so we followed but in the end we turned back because it was flowing so fast and deep - I had to take responsibility for my kids and not the lady who insisted on continuing upstream) We had to climb back up out of the park and trudge in the pouring rain a total of 42km in the end. At one stage a big tear rolled down the face of my youngest (10) - she was in agony for the last ten kilometers but never complained and refused to be left on the side of the road with her siblings while I went on for a taxi.
The rain continued for a week and some nights we did not have hot showers - but another week later temperatures were in excess of 30 degrees!!!

I will begin walking from Seville on April 3rd so hoping the weather will be better then. I'm thinking of taking a raincoat type poncho with sleeves and ankle gaters to keep the rain out of my boots. I also have a rain jacket but no rain trousers. Any comments on what works best in heavy rain at the temperatures I might encounter at this time of year.
Thanks Arnold

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will begin walking from Seville on April 3rd so hoping the weather will be better then. I'm thinking of taking a raincoat type poncho with sleeves and ankle gaters to keep the rain out of my boots. I also have a rain jacket but no rain trousers. Any comments on what works best in heavy rain at the temperatures I might encounter at this time of year.
Thanks Arnold
Hi Arnold
I take light weight rain pants with a cord st the bottom that can go under my boots to keep them in place.
In warm weather can wear them over underpants to reduce the layers. Very effective
I plan to start 10 April and will have them with me.
Buen Camino
Mark

Thanks Arnold
I have been very interested in what people have been using to keep dry during 5 and 6 hour walks in torrential rain while fording streams. There are people wearing gore tex lined leather Meindl mountain boots, others wearing waterproof hiking shoes and myself, wearing New Balance 860v7 running shoes not at all waterproof. My end of day survey has had the same result each day: everyone's feet are soaked. There is simply no stopping the water in this extreme torrential weather. Some people are wearing gore tex mountaineering rain jackets (Mammut) and others like me wearing ponchos. I think everyone has rain trousers. I have Berghaus paclite gore tex ones..The result? We are ALL soaking wet from head to toe, if not from the rain then from our own perspiration and the condensation on the inside of our jackets or even my Sea to Summit poncho tarp. The condensation is a killer! I wear a long sleeve button up Columbia Cascades hiking shirt and a Patagonia Houdini Wind Shirt under my poncho. Works great but as I said there is perspiration and some condensation albeit much less than if I were wearing a gore tex waterproof jacket which I have done in the past. There is simply no feasible way to stay dry. I love my running shoes because they are light and super comfortable walking on any surface even rocks, boulders and deep streams. The water comes in and the water goes out! Gore tex linings are not so permeable once the water goes in. The key for me is to have good socks which continue to keep the feet warm when wet. I am using Bi Clima socks by Rywin and also have a pair of Darn Tough Merino wool socks. I may start hiking in my shorts instead of my Columbia trousers and rain trousers. There's just no way to keep this kind of rain out. Having said that, the contents of my Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack have remained completely dry thanks to the poncho and an extra strong garden trash bag. So we all get soaked, arrive at the next destination, commiserate a bit and then take showers and get warm. I honestly don't even bother anymore to dry my shoes out because tomorrow we are going to get more rain! Ha ha! The people are wonderful and the hospitaleros have been exceptionally warm and welcoming. Amazing people.

Ankle deep water today. No way around it. We just marched right through! Water in, water out! Ha ha! IMG_20180303_105644.jpg

"hotelmedicis": What a great description of the rain, water, and wetness. We've walked in similar circumstances. I remember one forecast, in 2014, which used the phrase "torrential rain". There is simply no way to stay dry in these weather and trail conditions. In fact I am often entertained by folks who claim to have figured out a way to keep the water out, usually with expensive gore tex gear. I immediately know they've really never faced day after day of what Spain can serve up. I like to ask "Have you ever tried jumping into a swimming pool with your gore tex?". Be careful out there, and do take care of your feet. It's many more kilometers to Santiago! Buen Camino.

I am in Guillena tonight after a long day of mud and floods - is there an alternative route to castilblanco?

I am in Guillena tonight after a long day of mud and floods - is there an alternative route to castilblanco?
Sorry to hear about the mud and floods. I understand. You can walk the road A-460 but it's a bit longer. But the next day on stage 3 the park may still be closed so that would be all road walking that day as well. How about a bus up to Almaden de la Plata?

Sorry to hear about the mud and floods. I understand. You can walk the road A-460 but it's a bit longer. But the next day on stage 3 the park may still be closed so that would be all road walking that day as well. How about a bus up to Almaden de la Plata?
I ended up getting a ride to Castilblanco since I had a reservation there. How did the next leg go?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings from Castilblanco (stage 2). There have been very heavy rains during my first two stages. The Camino from Guillena to Castilblanco de los Arroyos was like walking in a river. Tomorrow's stage to Almaden de la Plata will be entirely on the road because the Finca el Berrocal is closed due to flooding. So, just a head's up to anyone coming to do the VDLP. There is lots of water! Torrential rain every day! Here are a couple pictures of the trail. No, that's not a river, that's the Camino! View attachment 39838View attachment 39841
Oh my God. This Reminds me the Heavy Rain in 2016 when I Did vdlp. Boots always wet for at least 10 days. Lucky me No blisters at all. Buen Camino and take care. I'm Walking the first Part of Camino mozarabe from malaga to Baena now. Lots of Rain as well. But this is Camino all about. No mattet How you Have to walk and Keep yourself safe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been very interested in what people have been using to keep dry during 5 and 6 hour walks in torrential rain while fording streams. There are people wearing gore tex lined leather Meindl mountain boots, others wearing waterproof hiking shoes and myself, wearing New Balance 860v7 running shoes not at all waterproof. My end of day survey has had the same result each day: everyone's feet are soaked. There is simply no stopping the water in this extreme torrential weather. Some people are wearing gore tex mountaineering rain jackets (Mammut) and others like me wearing ponchos. I think everyone has rain trousers. I have Berghaus paclite gore tex ones..The result? We are ALL soaking wet from head to toe, if not from the rain then from our own perspiration and the condensation on the inside of our jackets or even my Sea to Summit poncho tarp. The condensation is a killer! I wear a long sleeve button up Columbia Cascades hiking shirt and a Patagonia Houdini Wind Shirt under my poncho. Works great but as I said there is perspiration and some condensation albeit much less than if I were wearing a gore tex waterproof jacket which I have done in the past. There is simply no feasible way to stay dry. I love my running shoes because they are light and super comfortable walking on any surface even rocks, boulders and deep streams. The water comes in and the water goes out! Gore tex linings are not so permeable once the water goes in. The key for me is to have good socks which continue to keep the feet warm when wet. I am using Bi Clima socks by Rywin and also have a pair of Darn Tough Merino wool socks. I may start hiking in my shorts instead of my Columbia trousers and rain trousers. There's just no way to keep this kind of rain out. Having said that, the contents of my Gossamer Gear Gorilla backpack have remained completely dry thanks to the poncho and an extra strong garden trash bag. So we all get soaked, arrive at the next destination, commiserate a bit and then take showers and get warm. I honestly don't even bother anymore to dry my shoes out because tomorrow we are going to get more rain! Ha ha! The people are wonderful and the hospitaleros have been exceptionally warm and welcoming. Amazing people.

Ankle deep water today. No way around it. We just marched right through! Water in, water out! Ha ha! View attachment 39908
I do Remember this place. That day was hot hot hot and Then was Rain Rain Rain. None of the Camino is easy.

Oh my God. This Reminds me the Heavy Rain in 2016 when I Did vdlp. Boots always wet for at least 10 days. Lucky me No blisters at all. Buen Camino and take care. I'm Walking the first Part of Camino mozarabe from malaga to Baena now. Lots of Rain as well. But this is Camino all about. No mattet How you Have to walk and Keep yourself safe.
Jun Meng, It is so good to see that you are walking again. We also plan to be on Camino soon. Yes, so much rain in 2016. Mike and Ruth.

FYI, 5 or 6 km after Fuenterroble de Salvitierra there is a “new lake” , meaning backtracking and confusion. I’m sure it will have disappeared by the time you walk there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
this was the path just outside of Alcuescar yesterday. How is it looking farther north?IMG_2889 (003).jpg

man this looks amazing! i am planning to start middle of april in granada with my dog. i think i will bring a large umbrella which usually works much better than raingear :) does it need to be stormproof? do you have heavy winds?

for shoes i think keens newport sandals without socks should do the trick, at least they dry quickly but this looks like barefoot is my best option ...

Today without rain, but the paths are wet, and there are no cubic stones after Canaveral. So, you have to find your way over arroyos. Today we managed, otherwise a beautiful day. Albergue in Galisteo full again. A lot of pilgrims on the VdlP.
Tomorrow rain promised again. Let’s see.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
man this looks amazing! i am planning to start middle of april in granada with my dog. i think i will bring a large umbrella which usually works much better than raingear :) does it need to be stormproof? do you have heavy winds?

for shoes i think keens newport sandals without socks should do the trick, at least they dry quickly but this looks like barefoot is my best option ...

I’ve never trekked in sandals but that sounds like a fantastic idea right now. I’ve gone barefoot a few times on this trip but mostly have chosen to walk straight through in my boots because I didn’t know what I would be stepping on and didn’t want to risk it.

I’m not sure if an umbrella would cut it - I guess a combination of both would be good but it is windy and the rain does seem to come from every direction.

Today without rain, but the paths are wet, and there are no cubic stones after Canaveral. So, you have to find your way over arroyos. Today we managed, otherwise a beautiful day. Albergue in Galisteo full again. A lot of pilgrims on the VdlP.
Tomorrow rain promised again. Let’s see.

Ah the stones were frequent today and a huge help - I’m sorry to hear they will end.

All the pilgrims must be north of me!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back