• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heel Spurs and Micro Tears and More oh My! Update #2 plus the unthinkable

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino

Update number 2 as promised. Today, a day like no other I had a follow up with the Podiatrist. Early to bed , early to rise no breakfast in sight and forced to open my eyes ....at 5am. I hurried got dressed out the door a little after 6am for the long drive into the city. I caught the sunrise 52561 I arrived early beating the early morning traffic... see momma didnā€™t raise a fool šŸ˜‰ because I actually got a parking space in the parking garage and on the ground floor, at that! Yes I know, I was feeling quite special šŸ˜œ. I walked across to the famaliar red building and took the too familiar long walk to the main floor of the main building.

This time I was not on crutches though...Iā€™m feeling tall in my new HOKA One Tor ultra Hiā€™s Thatā€™s right..looking so good..I got stopped by a doctor then by a nurse ā€œhey what are you wearing? Iā€™ve been looking for some comfortable walking shoes. Iā€™m on my feet all day what are those?ā€. I proudly replied ā€œthese are my new Hokaā€™s itā€™s like walking on a cloud with this heel spur of mine. Hahaha. I swear I was being punked or I was on a television commercial where someone asks what are you wearing then the the person replies ā€œim wearing blah blah jeansā€. But I was indeed proud of my progress. Here I was walking without crutches and with limited pain for the first time in 8 months since my last camino.

I was early so I went up to the second floor to hunt down some coffee but sadly it was closed. So hopping on the elevator again wouldnā€™t you know the elevator would not move...yup broken. ...de ja vous. The 5 of us waiting, stepped off then waited for another to come . The door of the other elevator opened and two wheelchairs were facing backwards.. 2 of the 5 got of us hstepped on and the remaining 3 of us (females) remained outside. Why you ask? Well since you asked Iā€™ll tell you. One of the wheelchairs spoke...it said ā€œcome on in we have enough room and if we donā€™t you can sit on my lapā€šŸ˜³šŸ˜±šŸ¤Æ. Yes I could not believe it myself. The 3 of us let the door close and I turned to the young girl wearing medical scrubs and I said to her that was un called for I hope you never stand for thatā€. And with that we each shared thoughts of what happened and instances of this type of rude behavior. Itā€™s not every one but the few make it bad for the many....and if his mother wouldnā€™t like it neither would I.

Anyway I decided to forgo the coffee even though I need the jolt of caffeine after getting out of my bed so early and I went to the waiting room. I am still early so I sat turned up my headphones and the latest James Patterson Murder Club Mystery. 5 minutes later the receptionist came and gathered all the names of those of us waiting and a few minutes after that they called my name.

Ok so I was in ignorant bliss...get in and out right? Hmmm totally wrong as I was informed I am getting #2 of 3 PRP (Platlet Rich Plasma) Therapy Injection. Yes! šŸ¤Æ. WHAAAT!!! WHO!!!! WHEN!!!! No one told me. I was never told I was getting 3 procedures Iā€™m not ready. As if I needed to prepare. I have 3 weeks to the camino šŸ„ŗšŸ˜¬. She, the doctor, said donā€™t worry you will make it. I was confused I thought she said I was getting injected again today? šŸ˜³. so after a momentary lapse she explainded after she performed her assesment. I was feeling about 80% better and less pain. so its possible I wonā€™t need the 3rd procedure...yeah right! šŸ¤Ø. Any way...she rolled in the centrifuge and the needles...we signed the consent and off we went AGAIN! šŸ¤. Again, draw the blood...Spirt goes the blood from my vein into the tube then more onto the floor. I have a very giving left arm.šŸ˜‚ this made her happy.

Some topical spray then Lidocaine into the nerve at my ankle bone, once again it did not travel down to my heel so itā€™s 3-4-5 sticks later ...yes I felt that...then complete nothing..I felt nothing... centerfuge runs 5 minutes ...thatā€™s forever... plasma inserted...4-5 more needle sticks but I feel nothing folks yup she is full once more. ā€œthatā€™s a lot of fluidā€ she said and I Laugh because I had a flashback. Somehow the story seems the same but itā€™s a different doctor with a new student trainee. Yes itā€™s the same foot unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at things . 3rd injection scheduled 11 March., just 10 days before leaving for Spain Iā€™m starting to think this is a test of will. who will win...well ME of coursešŸ˜! but wait itā€™s not over.

She then introduced me to the walking boot. (My pretty Hokaā€™s On there left ignore the ugly boot on the right) 52563
No more crutches but instructions to continue Physio therapy, no Ice, no NSAIDS no pain relievers. But how was I to drive home, it is my right foot and 1 hr to home? good question. She stretched my sock over the compression bandage then fitted the walking boot . She called for wheel chair transport, yes I got smart I was not going to push myself this time in the giant wheelchair. It was easy peasy getting back to the parking garage this time... and when I got to the car I took the boot off and drove home with a numb foot and in my sock being careful not to place my heel on the ground. Not easy but doable when you have no other choice.

So was Today a good day? šŸ¤” Iā€™m not sure ...well she make it to Spain and the Camino? Will she have to further modify her walking schedule the first week? Will her foot be used as an extra water bladder since it can hold so much fluid? Will the boot make it past the garbage bins in the garage ? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of ā€œAs the World turns on the Spurs of the Heelā€ šŸ¤Ŗ See ya Soon! šŸ¤“

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I am intrigued by the procedure and your progress. It is really amazing how your own platelets are able to heal your body.

Did you redefine "leadfoot" on your drive home?:eek::p:D

You sound tenacious, and I am sure you will make it to Spain!:D:cool:

Interesting choice of words ā€œone of the wheelchairs spokeā€ while I donā€™t know if the wheelchair user was disabled or injured it lends credence to the disabled opinion that a led bodied people see the chair and not the person sitting in it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am intrigued by the procedure and your progress. It is really amazing how your own platelets are able to heal your body.

Did you redefine "leadfoot" on your drive home?:eek::p:D

You sound tenacious, and I am sure you will make it to Spain!:D:cool:
Hahaha I set the cruise controlšŸ˜‰ better safe than sorry.
Nice to use the bodyā€™s own amazing abilty to heal ...seems to be working and I see Spain in my Crystal ball šŸ˜

Interesting choice of words ā€œone of the wheelchairs spokeā€ while I donā€™t know if the wheelchair user was disabled or injured it lends credence to the disabled opinion that a led bodied people see the chair and not the person sitting in it.
I used that choice of word only because I could not see his face...the term was not meant in offense . The wheelchair was backwards in the elevator...it was a pun. So instead of focusing on the fact that the person made an indecent remark you choose to infer that I am somehow insensitive to the plight of disabled people.

I am disabled myself in fact since 2005 officially and have been in a wheelchair at one time or another including recently in the last 3 months. I have struggled to maintain my independence and my ability to stay upright off crutches and out of a chair when possible. Walking the camino was one of my greatest achievements because I struggle with the ability to walk everyday. No I do not just see the wheelchair and I am not a ā€œledā€ body person so please do not judge when you do not know the entire story. .....we must endeavor to treat everyone with respect as I now treat you. I wish you the very best with what ever your day brings.

Last edited:

Update number 2 as promised. Today, a day like no other I had a follow up with the Podiatrist. Early to bed , early to rise no breakfast in sight and forced to open my eyes ....at 5am. I hurried got dressed out the door a little after 6am for the long drive into the city. I caught the sunrise View attachment 52561 I arrived early beating the early morning traffic... see momma didnā€™t raise a fool šŸ˜‰ because I actually got a parking space in the parking garage and on the ground floor, at that! Yes I know, I was feeling quite special šŸ˜œ. I walked across to the famaliar red building and took the too familiar long walk to the main floor of the main building.

This time I was not on crutches though...Iā€™m feeling tall in my new HOKA One Tor ultra Hiā€™s Thatā€™s right..looking so good..I got stopped by a doctor then by a nurse ā€œhey what are you wearing? Iā€™ve been looking for some comfortable walking shoes. Iā€™m on my feet all day what are those?ā€. I proudly replied ā€œthese are my new Hokaā€™s itā€™s like walking on a cloud with this heel spur of mine. Hahaha. I swear I was being punked or I was on a television commercial where someone asks what are you wearing then the the person replies ā€œim wearing blah blah jeansā€. But I was indeed proud of my progress. Here I was walking without crutches and with limited pain for the first time in 8 months since my last camino.

I was early so I went up to the second floor to hunt down some coffee but sadly it was closed. So hopping on the elevator again wouldnā€™t you know the elevator would not move...yup broken. ...de ja vous. The 5 of us waiting, stepped off then waited for another to come . The door of the other elevator opened and two wheelchairs were facing backwards.. 2 of the 5 got of us hstepped on and the remaining 3 of us (females) remained outside. Why you ask? Well since you asked Iā€™ll tell you. One of the wheelchairs spoke...it said ā€œcome on in we have enough room and if we donā€™t you can sit on my lapā€šŸ˜³šŸ˜±šŸ¤Æ. Yes I could not believe it myself. The 3 of us let the door close and I turned to the young girl wearing medical scrubs and I said to her that was un called for I hope you never stand for thatā€. And with that we each shared thoughts of what happened and instances of this type of rude behavior. Itā€™s not every one but the few make it bad for the many....and if his mother wouldnā€™t like it neither would I.

Anyway I decided to forgo the coffee even though I need the jolt of caffeine after getting out of my bed so early and I went to the waiting room. I am still early so I sat turned up my headphones and the latest James Patterson Murder Club Mystery. 5 minutes later the receptionist came and gathered all the names of those of us waiting and a few minutes after that they called my name.

Ok so I was in ignorant bliss...get in and out right? Hmmm totally wrong as I was informed I am getting #2 of 3 PRP (Platlet Rich Plasma) Therapy Injection. Yes! šŸ¤Æ. WHAAAT!!! WHO!!!! WHEN!!!! No one told me. I was never told I was getting 3 procedures Iā€™m not ready. As if I needed to prepare. I have 3 weeks to the camino šŸ„ŗšŸ˜¬. She, the doctor, said donā€™t worry you will make it. I was confused I thought she said I was getting injected again today? šŸ˜³. so after a momentary lapse she explainded after she performed her assesment. I was feeling about 80% better and less pain. so its possible I wonā€™t need the 3rd procedure...yeah right! šŸ¤Ø. Any way...she rolled in the centrifuge and the needles...we signed the consent and off we went AGAIN! šŸ¤. Again, draw the blood...Spirt goes the blood from my vein into the tube then more onto the floor. I have a very giving left arm.šŸ˜‚ this made her happy.

Some topical spray then Lidocaine into the nerve at my ankle bone, once again it did not travel down to my heel so itā€™s 3-4-5 sticks later ...yes I felt that...then complete nothing..I felt nothing... centerfuge runs 5 minutes ...thatā€™s forever... plasma inserted...4-5 more needle sticks but I feel nothing folks yup she is full once more. ā€œthatā€™s a lot of fluidā€ she said and I Laugh because I had a flashback. Somehow the story seems the same but itā€™s a different doctor with a new student trainee. Yes itā€™s the same foot unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at things . 3rd injection scheduled 11 March., just 10 days before leaving for Spain Iā€™m starting to think this is a test of will. who will win...well ME of coursešŸ˜! but wait itā€™s not over.

She then introduced me to the walking boot. (My pretty Hokaā€™s On there left ignore the ugly boot on the right) View attachment 52563
No more crutches but instructions to continue Physio therapy, no Ice, no NSAIDS no pain relievers. But how was I to drive home, it is my right foot and 1 hr to home? good question. She stretched my sock over the compression bandage then fitted the walking boot . She called for wheel chair transport, yes I got smart I was not going to push myself this time in the giant wheelchair. It was easy peasy getting back to the parking garage this time... and when I got to the car I took the boot off and drove home with a numb foot and in my sock being careful not to place my heel on the ground. Not easy but doable when you have no other choice.

So was Today a good day? šŸ¤” Iā€™m not sure ...well she make it to Spain and the Camino? Will she have to further modify her walking schedule the first week? Will her foot be used as an extra water bladder since it can hold so much fluid? Will the boot make it past the garbage bins in the garage ? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of ā€œAs the World turns on the Spurs of the Heelā€ šŸ¤Ŗ See ya Soon! šŸ¤“

Adapt, overcome, and keep your eyes on the horizon... Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just for you not so serious threaders.....This will be me in Spain...if only šŸ˜... I really love this video his feet are amazing..so fast I could do the camino in half the time dance right over those hills love the traditional outfit also

No judgement was intended however if you wish to interpret it as such itā€™s your prerogative. I am however surprised that a disabled person did not choose thier words more carefully eg ā€œthe personā€ in the wheelchair to remove such objectification from everyday use..
Excuse my typo earlier dyslexia breaks through every now and then no matter how long and careful I am when typing. I turn autocorrect off so that itā€™s my brain doing the work not a machine.
Rather than hijack your thread further I will refrain from further comment.
Good luck with your treatment I hope can attain your walking goal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
No judgement was intended however if you wish to interpret it as such itā€™s your prerogative. I am however surprised that a disabled person did not choose thier words more carefully eg ā€œthe personā€ in the wheelchair to remove such objectification from everyday use..
Excuse my typo earlier dyslexia breaks through every now and then no matter how long and careful I am when typing. I turn autocorrect off so that itā€™s my brain doing the work not a machine.
Rather than hijack your thread further I will refrain from further comment.
Good luck with your treatment I hope can attain your walking goal.
No harm done...we are all on the same path. I understand your point and respect your thinking. Feel free to comment Itā€™s a free world. ā˜ŗ thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.