• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Helicopter rescue near Laredo

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
News reports of an American peregrino in difficulty being rescued by helicopter on the Norte. I'm fairly sure I read an almost identical story last year too. I haven't walked it myself but it sounds like a section that might need extra care.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This looks to me like the same scary walk we have talked about on the coastal alternatives thread. This is definitely not one for the average peregrino to try.

Other discussions here:

There are several ways to enjoy some of that section of the coast without walking this dangerous part. I took the longer camino alternative into Liendo and from there went up to the ermita, which is on the west side of the monte Candina, so I avoided the most treacherous section but did have some gorgeous walking.

And a p.s. on helicopter rescue. A Spanish judge has upheld the Asturian government’s right to get reimbursement for this kind of rescue, so I assume other governments have or will follow suit. This very interesting article in Spanish describes the debate over whether charging is the right way to go. But at the end of the day, I bet it will be purely a financial decision on the part of the regional governments.

It looks like this pilgrim may be one of the last ones to get a “free” rescue. The Cantabrian government is going to start charging. http://www.valledeliebana.info/noticias12/rescates.html

Can I just ask for some clarification on this route? Is this dangerous section any of the two routes on the Gronze map? I see on that stage map there are two routes (one a solid red line from Islades) and another dotted line branching off from El Ponterron. Neither of these routes appear to be on the coast with any "coastal walking" not occurring until Hazas/Liendo. I would like to avoid this dangerous section so I just want to confirm it is an alternative route that IS NOT part of any official route maps for the Camino Norte. (Also is this the stage with the rock bridge?)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can I just ask for some clarification on this route? Is this dangerous section any of the two routes on the Gronze map?
No, it's not. I was with a group of people who attempted this route. Two of us decided to turn back and take one of the standard routes. A passing motorist that we stopped for directions was very concerned that anyone was taking this dangerous route, even on a dry and sunny day, as his friend had fallen at that point earlier in the year.
You'll know you're headed for this potentially dangerous section if you pass this sign.
20180713_112137-1.jpg

The other four in our group who did eventually take this route were all scratched up from walking through brush, as the markings weren't good.

Can I just ask for some clarification on this route? Is this dangerous section any of the two routes on the Gronze map? I see on that stage map there are two routes (one a solid red line from Islades) and another dotted line branching off from El Ponterron. Neither of these routes appear to be on the coast with any "coastal walking" not occurring until Hazas/Liendo. I would like to avoid this dangerous section so I just want to confirm it is an alternative route that IS NOT part of any official route maps for the Camino Norte. (Also is this the stage with the rock bridge?)

The dangerous part is to the right of the Ermita, that little bump there with no Gronze lines. I walked the solid line from Castro Urdiales to Ponterrón, then the dotted line from Pontarrón to Hazas/Liendo, then the solid line northeast from Hazas to the crossing with the highway N-634 (which is actually a "backtracking" on the road route from Pontarrón), and then the dotted line from the highway, past the ermita, and along the coast. It was a very do-able stretch that way.

I took the dotted line route from Pontarrón to Hazas to avoid the asphalt, but, HA, from Pontarrón to Magdalena is all asphalt. But it is a much quieter road than the N-634.

And no, this is not the stage with the rock bridge. That is in between La Franca and Buelna.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-08 14.37.06.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-08 14.37.06.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 77
That is definitely the difficult route between Oriñon and Laredo.
Definitely not for the faint hearted, and requires good hiking skills, not to be attempted if it has rained in the last few days, or if it is raining.
We went up from Oriñon past the Playa de Sonabria, and decided it was too risky, so we came down again. We took another route around the other side of Monte Candina the next day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do not attempt unless you are in top shape. My husband and I unwittingly went this way seeing it as an alternative in the Wise Pilgrim Ap. We wanted to hug the coast and cut off some kilometers. We made it with packs and sticks which had to be stowed due to the hand over foot crawling and climbing we had to do. It was spectacular but I could see where you would require a rescue if anything went wrong, even an ankle twist. There was a point where there was a chain across the cliff face that was necessary to hold to get through a keyhole. Going down is also treacherous. I 2as never so glad to have made it safely to Loredo! We are from Colorado and were so glad we had trained adequately. We are in our late 50s.

We have done both ,
Took too long on coastal path as you have to be very , very careful.

HRH after finishing the coastal way added a bit of humour ;
She started singing Marty Robbins song ,

Only us oldies would know how popular this song was years ago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do not attempt this route from Orinon to Laredo if yo think of saving time and distance, it is difficult and you need the foot skills of a goat!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back