• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello all. My Camino planning is a bit early haha

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
Due to Covid and my 2nd oldest daughter graduating high school in May 2021, my first Camino (Camino Frances) will begin May 28th 2022. No worries, It gives me some time to plan, get in better shape and read this forum :)

I plan on starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and then heading toward Finnestere after Santiago. I have a great wife and 4 kids (ages in 2022 will be 23, 19, 14, and 12) plus numerous animals so my solo trip might be the most surreal thing I've done in awhile. I do hope to meet some good people on the route though. I've been lurking and reading a lot of posts so a big thank you to all who contributed here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome Sirron,
At least you have enough time to read the forum at leisure😉

I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts as you start your planning and preparations.

With a lengthy time frame to prepare you might want to be alert to overtraining and picking up injuries. Also, it's a big ask of yourself to train to complete the Camino Frances, or any Camino come to that, so maybe getting in good enough shape to start comfortably and get through the first 7-10 days without injury and stressing yourself is worth considering.

If you are considering buying a guide book it's worth keeping in mind that they are usually updated annually, so a purchase next year might be more economical than buying now. (Sorry Ivar, just trying to be helpful).

Buen (motivational preparations) Camino

Welcome Sirron,

I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts as you start your planning and preparations.

With a lengthy time frame to prepare you might want to be alert to overtraining and picking up injuries. Also, it's a big ask of yourself to train to complete the Camino Frances, or any Camino come to that, so maybe getting in good enough shape to start comfortably and get through the first 7-10 days without injury and stressing yourself is worth considering.

If you are considering buying a guide book it's worth keeping in mind that they are usually updated annually, so a purchase next year might be more economical than buying now. (Sorry Ivar, just trying to be helpful).

Thank you for the advice!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Due to Covid and my 2nd oldest daughter graduating high school in May 2021, my first Camino (Camino Frances) will begin May 28th 2022. No worries, It gives me some time to plan, get in better shape and read this forum :)

I plan on starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and then heading toward Finnestere after Santiago. I have a great wife and 4 kids (ages in 2022 will be 23, 19, 14, and 12) plus numerous animals so my solo trip might be the most surreal thing I've done in awhile. I do hope to meet some good people on the route though. I've been lurking and reading a lot of posts so a big thank you to all who contributed here.
Hi, having walked the Camino twice, once on my own, I can tell you that walking alone is a must rewarding experience. You will meet so many wonderful people and they will broaden you life experience. If you can and regardless of your religious persuasion do attend the pilgrim church services in each town/village you stop at. They can be so uplifting. I wish you well for you upcoming Camino journey. God willing I will be back on the Camino next September. BUEN CAMINO!

Hi, having walked the Camino twice, once on my own, I can tell you that walking alone is a must rewarding experience. You will meet so many wonderful people and they will broaden you life experience. If you can and regardless of your religious persuasion do attend the pilgrim church services in each town/village you stop at. They can be so uplifting. I wish you well for you upcoming Camino journey. God willing I will be back on the Camino next September. BUEN CAMINO!
Thank you. I'm spiritual but like that character from The Way, the church and I had a division at some point but life's too short to keep grudges. I figure God will guide me where I need to be! Yes I do plan on attending some services.

Good luck with your return nexst September. If I wasn't a teacher that would be my preferred time to travel as well! When I retire in about 10 years, I think I'll take another Camino during that time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The first to do when you get to SJPDP. Find the bridge over the river. Stand on the bridge, now the map of SJPDP will make sense. When training make sure to spend some time walking tippy toe. It will help to toughen up that part of your feet that will get alot of abuse on the Camino.

Side question everyone. I plan on flying into Paris. After a few days there should I take a flight to Biarritz and then take a train to St Jean Pied de Port or take a train from Paris to St. Jean Pied de Port( and I believe I'd have to change trains in Biarritz to do th is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Side question everyone. I plan on flying into Paris. After a few days there should I take a flight to Biarritz and then take a train to St Jean Pied de Port or take a train from Paris to St. Jean Pied de Port( and I believe I'd have to change trains in Biarritz to do th is.
I took a train from Gare Montparnasse in Paris, and changed to the "Pilgrim Express" in Bayonne. I purchased it as one ticket directly from the French train site.

Welcome Sirron,

"Start the Camino as if your are an old man, so that you can finish it like a young one"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My husband and i will also be starting on this day! We will fly to Paris on May 25 from U.S., arrive in the 26th, stay two nights. On May 28 we’ll take trains to SJPP and stay one night there. We’ll head up the hill on the 29th! Im sure we’ll meet you along the way!! Sally and Gary

My husband and i will also be starting on this day! We will fly to Paris on May 25 from U.S., arrive in the 26th, stay two nights. On May 28 we’ll take trains to SJPP and stay one night there. We’ll head up the hill on the 29th! Im sure we’ll meet you along the way!! Sally and Gary
So good to see people taking the leap. I aswell will be starting the 29th in SJPP. Hopefully my wife will join me too one day, not much of a walker.
So it’ll be a solo trip for me. But seeing all the people planning again makes me happy.

Buen Camino!

Ill be starting the day after you! My first camino aswell. So awesome to see people taking the leap.
Maybe we’ll bump into eachother.
I’m walking solo aswell.

all the best, buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I walked Camino Frances solo in Sep/Oct 2019. But solo is really not the correct way to describe it beacuse I met and partly walked with so many fantastic people from all over the world. I would say "solo" is the best way to do the camino. I´m confident you will have a great camino. I´m planning for Camino Portugese from Lisbon Oct/Nov this year. Really hope it will be possible. But with covid-19 you can´t be sure.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back