• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello all, new user. Will start Camino Frances in May'23.

bplsilva

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Hello everybody.

Bruno, 34, based in Vancouver, Canada here.

I will be starting the Camino Frances in May 2023.

So far, I just have the airplane tickets from Canada to Spain, and the certitude that I want to do it.
I have started browsing information about the Camino (how I found this forum) and there is so, so many websites and information about it.

I might be overwhelmed after finding all that information.
It might be ok tomorrow and I will start preparing my journey. But today I feel a bit of panic.

Bruno

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No reason to panic. This is a great forum with a wealth of information. Congratulations on making the decision to walk the Camino Frances. Buen camino!

No need for panic Bruno. Everyone gets nervous, even those of us who have done several Caminos. Here you are among friends and you'll get answers to nearly any question to do with being a pilgrim and walking the Camino. You have plenty of time to prepare, plenty and May is a great time to do the Frances.
Try to enjoy the preparation and the lead up to your start date, it's half the fun, half the challenge and you learn heaps. There'll be dozens and dozens of pilgrims starting on the same day. You'll be in good company. Relax.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everybody.

So far, I just have the airplane tickets from Canada to Spain, and the certitude that I want to do it.
I have started browsing information about the Camino (how I found this forum) and there is so, so many websites and information about it.

It might be ok tomorrow and I will start preparing my journey. But today I feel a bit of panic.

Bruno
Walking from village to village is about as uncomplicated as it gets. Don't be overwhelmed. You are young and look fit. Pack a small comfortable back pack (under 50 litres) with only essential clothing - one set for walking, one set for when those are being washed, something to keep you warm, something to keep you dry. A toothbrush. Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes. From where you fly into Spain (I assume Madrid or Barcelona), catch a train to where you want to start walking. After that it is easy.

Read and ask as many questions as you want, but remember that you have been able to walk since you were two years old, and this is a simple walk from one village to another. Not any more complicated than that. Spain is a friendly place.

Hi bplsilva!

Welcome to the forum Kanga's got it right!
Don't overthink it you will drive yourself nuts!
The two most important things to sort are; whats on your feet and your back !
Keep the pack weight as light as you reasonably can (you can buy anything you have forgotten along the way no problem)
Before i walked the Portuguese i was overwhelmed with my fears;so many were WHAT IF'S
what if my flight is cancelled, if i am ill or injured, or if i can't do it (67 at the time )
They are things you have no control over they just happen; worry if you must about all the things you have control over and do your best to get them right.
I was still bricking it when i got on the plane, but when your feet hit the Camino you will be to happy to worry about anything!!!

Just enjoy the adventure ahead it will be great!!

Check the forum calendar; when you see the number of members walking the Frances who have listed their start dates in May you won't be alone (unless you want to be)
I start mine on the 4th and hope to be in Burgos for my 69th birthday.
I think at the last count there were seven walking on the 4th with another two months to go!

I would look to book your accommodation through to Pamplona; as May is a busy month (but that's up to you) others may have a different opinion.
Have a wonderful walk all the best
Woody

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

Bruno
Look at it this way, last year over 480000 people made it into Santiago on their feet (apart from a few on bicycles). You are one of many. And some of those many will be your support and your company. It's not panic, it's excitement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everybody.

Bruno
I can assure you, being overwhelmed is just natural. So much information, so many people and even so many different opinions and opposing views! But the latter actually tells you that in most cases there is not one only way to do things, but several, and all are good in their way. So do not try to overoptimise or you might end up in a mental asylum ;-)

Really, once there you will regret som choices, you will be amazed that other aspects that seemed to go wrong came out quite nice actually and in the end it will be the typical blend of a Camino. Do not worry too much :cool:

Hi Bruno, I am also a first timer and starting in May from SJPDP.
I too am quite nervous but have also been comforted by the people, advice and good willing comments on this forum.
Can’t wait to get started and perhaps I might see you on The Way. Buen Camino
Graham

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back