• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello all, Planning for an Old Guy to walk the Camino Sept. 2023

kensteve51

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Howdy all from Seguin, Texas USA! I am a 72 year old, long time married, 'late middle age' normal old guy. I had a nasty issue with prostate cancer two years ago, and a minor issue with the heart, with one stent installed, in spring 2022. I stay very active taking care of things on our little 35 acres slice of Texas, working in our woods, or repaing equipment. Starting in June 2022, after my stent was installed, I started doing about two to three hours of cardio at the gym twice a week. Today I started my formal walking training. We live in the country on a country lane about 1.5 miles long (2.5 KM) with some pretty big hills. So the round trip gives me about 3 miles or 5 KM of walking. Today I started and walked a total of 5.2 Miles or 8.4 KM. There is still much work to do over the coming weeks to get comfortable walking up to 15 miles a day required on the Camino.

I plan to walk Camino Frances starting the last two weeks of Septembe. I will be negotiating with my dear wife of the past fifty years, how long I can walk. We have agreed so far to a two week trip, hoping to cover twevle days of walking. She knows, if my body and spirit can take it, I will be negotiating each day for being able to walk more. If I can't do the entire journey, this trip, I will return anothe time to do other segments.

Our lives, heath, and loving relationship are all simply great, so this is not a 'change' trip for me. But ever since, like probably many of you, once I watched the movie 'The Way' several years ago, I have thought about doing this journey. By the time I start my walk, I will have turned 72. I wish I could find a friend here to go with me, but so far no takers. So I look forward to making many new friends on the walk.

Wish me luck!!

Ken

Attachments

• Ken-Ranch.jpg
    Ken-Ranch.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 1,754
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Howdy all from Seguin, Texas USA! I am a 72 year old, long time married, 'late middle age' normal old guy. I had a nasty issue with prostate cancer two years ago, and a minor issue with the heart, with one stent installed, in spring 2022. I stay very active taking care of things on our little 35 acres slice of Texas, working in our woods, or repaing equipment. Starting in June 2022, after my stent was installed, I started doing about two to three hours of cardio at the gym twice a week. Today I started my formal walking training. We live in the country on a country lane about 1.5 miles long (2.5 KM) with some pretty big hills. So the round trip gives me about 3 miles or 5 KM of walking. Today I started and walked a total of 5.2 Miles or 8.4 KM. There is still much work to do over the coming weeks to get comfortable walking up to 15 miles a day required on the Camino.

I plan to walk Camino Frances starting the last two weeks of Septembe. I will be negotiating with my dear wife of the past fifty years, how long I can walk. We have agreed so far to a two week trip, hoping to cover twevle days of walking. She knows, if my body and spirit can take it, I will be negotiating each day for being able to walk more. If I can't do the entire journey, this trip, I will return anothe time to do other segments.

Our lives, heath, and loving relationship are all simply great, so this is not a 'change' trip for me. But ever since, like probably many of you, once I watched the movie 'The Way' several years ago, I have thought about doing this journey. By the time I start my walk, I will have turned 72. I wish I could find a friend here to go with me, but so far no takers. So I look forward to making many new friends on the walk.

Wish me luck!!

Ken

Ken,

Have a splendid time.

Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, Ken. I did my first at 73 and a Forum friend, Jose, was75. You can do it and you'll love it. I too left my love of 50 years behind (she thought I was a bit off it!).
Keep practicing. It takes us oldsters a lot longer to get in shape. Work your way up slowly. Plan to go shorter distances for a couple of days to begin. There's no rule that you have to go 15 miles every day. This trek is to be savored not rushed. Two VIPs: wear really good shoes (I used trail runners) and socks; and carry as little as you can get away with in your pack.
As Jose told me, "I loved it. I hated it. It was the greatest experience of my life and I'm still learning from it months later."
Buen Camino.

Wish me luck!!

Ken
i will turn 70 in a few days, used to live in Texas, and life brought me to live in Europe. Will start a Camino in March. Good luck, Ken. Jacques

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Ken. First, many of us, as you will see, didn’t walk our first Camino until well into our 60s or later. And although you may be heading to your Camino solo, be assured that you will meet many kindred souls along The Way to walk with.

One comment you made caught my attention about needing to walk 15 a day. It’s only true if you want to cover a certain distance in x number of days. Let me direct you to Gronze.com to look at stages from any number of Caminos, but also at information on accommodations or stopping points both before or after traditional guidebook towns. Create your own Camino based on what you can do and what works best for you.

With that said, and I certainly wasn’t particularly aware of this when I first walked, there are other Caminos than just the Francés. I mention this only because if two weeks of walking becomes what’s most likely for you, then you might want to consider another Camino where you can finish this journey in Santiago. For example, you could start in Porto and walk the Central Route of the Portugués where after 12-14 days you arrive to the amazing sight of the cathedral in Santiago. If you still have time, walk on the the coast to Fisterra or Muxía. I have found that whether I’ve been on the Camino for a month or only 7-10 days, arriving in Santiago is an emotionally charged moment putting perspective to what I just accomplished.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
two week trip, hoping to cover twevle days of walking.
Hi Ken, you will encounter loads of old timers and whippersnapers too.
If you are planning to walk 12 days and want to receive your Compostela (walk the last 100km and get 2 stamps per day). There are multiple options including the Primitivo from Lugo, the Invierno from Chantada (both Lugo and Chantada are easy to get to).
As to walking 15 miles before you go. I don’t believe you have to achieve this daily. Build up your stamina and your miles and avoid hurting yourself pre Camino. Travel light and if you need bag transport those 2 mentioned above have it.
You will love it and it does change you. Buen Camino! Aymarah

@kensteve51, welcome. I won't wish you luck, because I think you already know you need to be physically prepared. I suggest you also consider your mental, emotional and spiritual preparation as well. You may not need to walk 24-25 km every day, and I wouldn't myself any longer now that I am approaching my 70s, but the resilience you will gain from addressing these other areas will stand you in good stead.

What I do hope is that your preparation, and then your journey, are free from injury and accident, that you don't face any of the myriad of medical, family or other dramas that we seem to attract more often as we age, and that your pilgrim journey is a wonderfully rewarding experience.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Howdy all from Seguin, Texas USA! …
Wish me luck!!
Hi Ken,
I think this is the first time I’ve responded to an “Introduce Yourself” post, primarily because I’m not a walker and hence not qualified to comment on specifics. However, your post resonated with me in a few ways.

First off, thanks for including your photo - few people do. Here’s a guy I can imagine sharing a beer with in Belorado.

Then you acknowledge that you want to join one of the world’s strangest families - people who watched an obscure movie that inspired them to do something remarkable and life-changing several years later. I’m with you there.

And then there’s the really significant aspect - negotiating with the love of your life to permit you to take off by yourself, (possibly for the first time), for a few weeks, crossing the globe to a country that speaks another language and to put your well-being temporarily under the aegis of strangers - albeit strangers just like me. Perhaps a little more negotiating….

You just took your first step, joined this forum and a few minutes later, posted. Buen camino.

Thanks to you all for your encouragement! I have been training for a month and a half now. I try to walk 8 miles or more on Tuesdays and Fridays. Tuesedays are in the gym on treadmill, along with wieghts for a bit. A couple of weeks ago I moved from the gym to walking state park trails in our area, as there are many to select from. Walking outdoors I have started carrying my backpack with up to 21 ponds so far. I will keep to the suggested 10% of body weight (I am currently 205 pounds), with taget of not exceeding 20 pounds. Now I simply carry 2 leter and 1 leter bottles of water for weight. As my training progresses over the summer I will refine my backpack to those items I will carry on the Camino. Between now and then, I will start finding rocky trails with hills for my training, as I know the first two days over the Pryenees will be the most challanging two days of my Camino.

Two weeks ago I ordered the dvd of The Way. My wife and I watched it the night it came in. All of a sudden after the movie she turns to me and said: "I get it now, go and walk the entire Camino." Up until that moment, we were negotiating the length of my trip. We were up to about 16 days, but now she has blessed me with support of walking the entire thing.

Thanks again for all of your support. I will of course be willing to write about my expereince and serve as a mentor of those who walk after I do.

Buean Camino
Ken

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds like your training is moving along well, so congratulations!

I have started carrying my backpack with up to 21 ponds so far.
I can't imagine you will need a 21-lb backpack. That guidance of 10% of body weight only makes sense if you apply it to your fit/lean body weight, and even then it is a very rough concept. What matters is the condition of your body.

I will start finding rocky trails with hills for my training, as I know the first two days over the Pryenees will be the most challanging two days of my Camino.
That trip over the Pyrenees is mostly on country roads. You need to train for walking with a modest backpack all day, every day, rather than for any technical hiking.

Walking is an excellent thing to be doing, anyway - for the Camino, or for life in general.

Wish me luck!!

Ken
Ha! Only a Texan would describe 35 acres as 'little' !!
You may be surprised by changes to your life. The Camino tends to do that. I wish you the very best.

Buen Camino

Thanks to you all for your encouragement! I have been training for a month and a half now. I try to walk 8 miles or more on Tuesdays and Fridays. Tuesedays are in the gym on treadmill, along with wieghts for a bit. A couple of weeks ago I moved from the gym to walking state park trails in our area, as there are many to select from. Walking outdoors I have started carrying my backpack with up to 21 ponds so far. I will keep to the suggested 10% of body weight (I am currently 205 pounds), with taget of not exceeding 20 pounds. Now I simply carry 2 leter and 1 leter bottles of water for weight. As my training progresses over the summer I will refine my backpack to those items I will carry on the Camino. Between now and then, I will start finding rocky trails with hills for my training, as I know the first two days over the Pryenees will be the most challanging two days of my Camino.

Two weeks ago I ordered the dvd of The Way. My wife and I watched it the night it came in. All of a sudden after the movie she turns to me and said: "I get it now, go and walk the entire Camino." Up until that moment, we were negotiating the length of my trip. We were up to about 16 days, but now she has blessed me with support of walking the entire thing.

Thanks again for all of your support. I will of course be willing to write about my expereince and serve as a mentor of those who walk after I do.

Buean Camino
Ken
Now you’re talking , Ken! You get to do the entire journey (which will definitely be an interesting odyssey). Congratulations! You’re wife sounds like a keeper- she gets it! I did a similar thing 6 years ago, when I turned 60, and had my wife, sister and friends join in at the end. It was a great experience

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Ken

I started my first Camino in Saint Jean Pied de Port, at age 65, last year at the end of September. You're in for an amazing experience! All my life I've considered myself blessed with a big family and many dear friends. However, on my solo trek I met so many, many wonderful people. Fellow pilgrims from all over the world (and from Spain too) and the wonderful local folk in every town and city and along the path. Even now, months later, I'm brought to tears remembering the feeling of being surrounded by this human community of open hearts. OK, I have to stop typing now

That trip over the Pyrenees is mostly on country roads. You need to train for walking with a modest backpack all day, every day, rather than for any technical hiking.
That's true but there are a few sections which are quite rough and uneven underfoot further along the way. I'm thinking of the descent to Zubiri, the descent from the Alto de Perdon and the descent into Molinaseca in particular. A bit of practice on rocky broken ground would definitely not be wasted.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's true but there are a few sections which are quite rough and uneven underfoot further along the way. I'm thinking of the descent to Zubiri, the descent from the Alto de Perdon and the descent into Molinaseca in particular. A bit of practice on rocky broken ground would definitely not be wasted.
I loved the downhills and heading down to Molinaseca with the beautiful views and interesting bluestone under foot at times was a favorite of mine. Possibly if I had been slipping in rain I would have changed my opinion.
For me, it's the uphills that I totally dislike.🙄

Wish me luck!!

Ken
Good luck Ken enjoy it! You will be walking for a lot of us who are still dreaming

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome to the forum, you will get advice ad nauseam here, from people like me!

Do you plan to start from San Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP), like in the movie?

Trust me, age is not a factor - you will find many pilgrims your age and older.

Train comfortably, but don't be surprised or depressed if the first days of your Camino are still REALLY HARD. The Camino breaks you down before it builds you up.

My motto is "Start out like an Old Man so you can finish like a Young Man." It is a saying that has served me well.

Questions? Fire away!!

Buen Camino.

Hi Ken, you will encounter loads of old timers and whippersnapers too.
If you are planning to walk 12 days and want to receive your Compostela (walk the last 100km and get 2 stamps per day). There are multiple options including the Primitivo from Lugo, the Invierno from Chantada (both Lugo and Chantada are easy to get to).
As to walking 15 miles before you go. I don’t believe you have to achieve this daily. Build up your stamina and your miles and avoid hurting yourself pre Camino. Travel light and if you need bag transport those 2 mentioned above have it.
You will love it and it does change you. Buen Camino! Aymarah
Hello, can you collect more than 2 Stamps per day the last 100k? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.