• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello Any advice for the camino del Norte

Beto Sanchez

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking from Roncesvalles to Santiago from sept 16 2016 to oct 16 2016
Hi I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte on Sept 2018 just wonder if anybody has any tips or is plnning to do it too
I hope I can hear from someody
My dates will be from Sept 1st to?
Thanks my name is Beto

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte on Sept 2018 just wonder if anybody has any tips or is plnning to do it too
Thanks my name is Beto

Hola Beto, I was going to do it in April, but now must postpone until Aug. or Sept.
I have a Cicerone Guide to the Northern Camino. It looks like it could be tougher as you are decending to the beaches and then climbing away from them. I did the Frances route last year and enjoyed it. This looks similiar in distance, but may be a little more challenging! Are you from Mexico Beto?
Kevin

I walked the Norte with two friends in Sep - Oct 2016. Good hiking boots/shoes and trekking poles were important. There are lots of rocky ascents and descents, especially the first week. Training on hills will help. Don't push yourself too hard. Enjoy the views while you can, they are breathtaking. Study the route before you go. One of my walking partners did this and it helped us make decisions when there were optional trails. Train with your pack as much as you can. I used towels along with bags of rice and beans to add weight while training. Listen to your feet. If any area starts to feel warm, stop, pull your shoe off and inspect the area. If it feels warm or is turning read, tape it to prevent a blister from forming. Two apps that were very helpful were the Wise Pilgrim for the Norte and Booking.com. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Beto Sanchez you have walked the Camino Francés and the Norte is no more difficult. Certainly nothing is as difficult as the climb from SJPDP to Roncesvalles.

I wore sandals all the way, even though it was early spring and quite muddy in places. In September you can probably count on better weather.

The scenery is glorious, the food is fabulous. We did not meet as many pilgrims as on the Camino Francés (particularly in the last section where many people detoured to the Primitivo), but that is no bad thing. There is also more road walking than on the Francés, but if you look at the posts by @peregrina2000 you will find her links to non-road alternatives.

A great route.

When I walked the Norte I found the app editorial Buen Camino to be very helpful as well as gronze.com. The reason I liked this app (EBC) better than some of the others that I looked at is because the gps maps could be used offline.

Ditto the above comments about the gorgeous scenery.

Buen Camino

I just finished day 2 of El Norte from San Sebastián to Zarautz. Demanding 25k different than Day 1 but still a knee killer. Lucky weather 18C and sun feels like spring. Wise pilgrim guide 2017 edition is EXCELLENT and accurate. Tomorrow to Deba.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Beto, I was going to do it in April, but now must postpone until Aug. or Sept.
I have a Cicerone Guide to the Northern Camino. It looks like it could be tougher as you are decending to the beaches and then climbing away from them. I did the Frances route last year and enjoyed it. This looks similiar in distance, but may be a little more challenging! Are you from Mexico Beto?
Kevin
Hi Kevin thanks for your reply
I'm from Mexico city but I have been living in the USA for 37 years and in Denver for 16 I did the French way already 2 times in 2014 from Leon to Santiago and in 2016 the whole thing so now I want to do the North not very familiar with it but already training how about you?

I just finished day 2 of El Norte from San Sebastián to Zarautz. Demanding 25k different than Day 1 but still a knee killer. Lucky weather 18C and sun feels like spring. Wise pilgrim guide 2017 edition is EXCELLENT and accurate. Tomorrow to Deba.
Hi thank you for sharing your walk hope you got a good rest for tomorrow and looks like very nice weather are staying in hostels or shelters? Have a Buen Camino

I read with interest this thread as I am hoping to walk the Norte starting around September 14. Last year I met a man about my age (I will be 64 in 2 weeks) who said it was not that hard. The toughest part is the first 7 - 10 days. I also have a felling that Kanga’s description will work for me. I hope everyone reads this because I was just wondering if the other contributors were first time Pilgrims. I ask this because after 3 Caminos and walking about 3000k total. I know my first Camino was physically the toughest. I am training a little less and knowing my body a lot more. And I am not getting any younger, unfortunately! Have other Pilgrims found my experience to be simioto theirs? Or maybe it is another one of my many theories that are soon to bite the dust!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I read with interest this thread as I am hoping to walk the Norte starting around September 14. Last year I met a man about my age (I will be 64 in 2 weeks) who said it was not that hard. The toughest part is the first 7 - 10 days. I also have a felling that Kanga’s description will work for me. I hope everyone reads this because I was just wondering if the other contributors were first time Pilgrims. I ask this because after 3 Caminos and walking about 3000k total. I know my first Camino was physically the toughest. I am training a little less and knowing my body a lot more. And I am not getting any younger, unfortunately! Have other Pilgrims found my experience to be simioto theirs? Or maybe it is another one of my many theories that are soon to bite the dust!

The Norte was my first Camino and I was 60 when I did it. I don't think I'd say, "not that hard" unless I knew what they were comparing it to. The first several days are challenging but certainly achievable. It's a walk I would most definitely do again. I will walk the Portuguese Camino (Coastal) later this year. I am anticipating it to be easier solely on the fact that the elevation changes are not as great.

The Norte was my first Camino and I was 60 when I did it. I don't think I'd say, "not that hard" unless I knew what they were comparing it to. The first several days are challenging but certainly achievable. It's a walk I would most definitely do again. I will walk the Portuguese Camino (Coastal) later this year. I am anticipating it to be easier solely on the fact that the elevation changes are not as great.
Enjoy every step

Thanks my name is Beto

You will have plenty of company in September. I walked from Irún to Santiago 2 times and starting again in April 2018 you will love the adventure

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the coastal Portuguese in 2016 and found it incredibly beautiful and peaceful. Far less crowded than the Frances and without all the pilgrim litter, graffiti, and toilet paper. I used the Bierley guide and the track-maps posted on the forum resources. Take the time to include the Variante Espiritual, you won't regret it. I'm starting the Norte in Sept and will be using the coastal and off road GR options as much as possible along with advice you and others have posted. Enjoy the journey!

I did the coastal Portuguese in 2016 and found it incredibly beautiful and peaceful. Far less crowded than the Frances and without all the pilgrim litter, graffiti, and toilet paper. I used the Bierley guide and the track-maps posted on the forum resources. Take the time to include the Variante Espiritual, you won't regret it. I'm starting the Norte in Sept and will be using the coastal and off road GR options as much as possible along with advice you and others have posted. Enjoy the journey!

Thank you for your advice--I truly appreciate it. My Norte Camino began in mid-September of 2016. It was a nice season for my walk. I think you will like the Norte. It offers some breathtaking views and vistas. The people we met along the way were incredibly friendly and helpful. Enjoy every step.

The only difference I can think of is that the winters are quite empty. Traveling with a few people is recommended so you don't end up in the albergue's alone and the down hill on the first few days can be quite slippery. If it is raining, be very careful! Steep stone and brick hills and when you are uncertain of your pack, it is unsettling. This was only an issue East of San Sebastian.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am hoping to complete el Norte from about mid Sept. Already have got to Ribadeo in stages. Hope to get to Santaigo this Sept and will maybe meet you Beto

Hi. Can anyone tell me about the stage from Ribadeo to Lourenza and any variations as I will be walking alone? . Friends arriving the next day

Thanks my name is Beto
Hola Beto,
I can't help as am also planning to walk the Norte in August /September /October with my husband . We are also in Denver area. Hope to see you on the way! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi. Can anyone tell me about the stage from Ribadeo to Lourenza and any variations as I will be walking alone? . Friends arriving the next day
It looks like a long stage according to Wise Pilgrim 27.4k but there looks to be a couple of places to bail out if need be.

You will have plenty of company in September. I walked from Irún to Santiago 2 times and starting again in April 2018 you will love the adventure
Hello as Gaillimh..when in April? I start from San Sebastian on the 15th. It would be nice to have a past master to tap for wisdom.

Thanks my name is Beto

@Beto Sanchez, we're starting from Irun on 2 September. So we might see you.
More likely, you'll overtake us, as we're slow walkers.. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.